Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
epak wrote:
HellCrowe wrote:

It isn't just a 1 for 1 trade. We got

Kuzma - at worst a 50/50 shot he would have been a Laker without the trade
Brook Lopez - I love me some BroLo, but he should only be a one year rental in another non-playoff season
Cap Space in 2018 - this is why they did it, how they use it will determine how the trade shakes out
Minus the drama connected with DLO - I guess. This was a two-way street, and it's bothersome that a rebuilding franchise run by grown men couldn't handle the ups and downs of a young guy, especially one as talented as Russell.
Minus the Mozgov contract - this is a redundant with 2018 cap space.

With DLO gone we were also able get a guard that defends and knew he would be getting starter minutes in KCP - true,
but I'd rather have Russell for the next decade rather than KCP for this season, or if the two max plan falls through, for the next five seasons.

Good stuff.
Re: dlo for 5 years, when does his extension come up and how much would he have got?

He would be up for an extension next fall (it would count against the cap in 2019) and it would've depended on his performance this season. If Ingram and Ball were still on the team, I'm skeptical the Lakers would've ever earmarked DLo for the DPE max, but I expect he'd be looking for a near max deal - so let's say 5yr/120-130M. Or they could've let him go to restricted free agency in 2019 and see what the market dictated.

We'll see what KCP gets next summer, but I'd prefer a 22-23 year old DLo at ~$25M/yr to a 26 year old KCP at ~ $20M/yr, but he may have to take a discount in a buyer's market. I'd obviously prefer PG13 at $30M to either, though.

I don't think the "rookie max" goes up as high as 5 year 120M. They are allowed an increase of 26-30% of their yearly salary when they are up for extension.

I may be wrong there but I think that's the case. Though I am probably wrong there because Anthony Davis got 22M a year after his 4th year when he got a max contract extension.
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
That Kuzma workout line is kind of weak, because the Nets had 59 (or more) players in for workouts. That's what teams do.

Doesn't mean they wouldn't have picked him.

The point is nobody knows. What's important now is he's with us because we grabbed him when he was there.

It’s a convenient (and disingenuous) way to soften the blow of losing a possible 20/5/5 player (age 21) this season (when there was a high probability Kuz was available with the very next pick).

Its also disingenuous to call dlo a 20 5 5 player when its based off of 3 games.

It wouldnt suprise me if Hart or Bryant end up being a better player

Wow
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/923327680270843904

Magic on the World Series pre-game. Ortiz is trying to get him to sign Lebron in the offseason! This is freaking hilarious.

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
have assigned Thomas Bryant to the South Bay Lakers #GLeague

Quote:
South Bay Lakers‏Verified account @SouthBayLakers 3h3 hours ago

The Lakers have recalled rookie center Thomas Bryant from South Bay.

I have a feeling TB will be going back and forth on a regular basis.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
epak wrote:
HellCrowe wrote:

Brook Lopez - I love me some BroLo, but he should only be a one year rental in another non-playoff season
Cap Space in 2018 - this is why they did it, how they use it will determine how the trade shakes out
Minus the drama connected with DLO - I guess. This was a two-way street, and it's bothersome that a rebuilding franchise run by grown men couldn't handle the ups and downs of a young guy, especially one as talented as Russell.

With DLO gone we were also able get a guard that defends and knew he would be getting starter minutes in KCP - true,
but I'd rather have Russell for the next decade rather than KCP for this season, or if the two max plan falls through, for the next five seasons.

Good stuff.
Re: dlo for 5 years, when does his extension come up and how much would he have got?

He would be up for an extension next fall (it would count against the cap in 2019) and it would've depended on his performance this season. If Ingram and Ball were still on the team, I'm skeptical the Lakers would've ever earmarked DLo for the DPE max, but I expect he'd be looking for a near max deal - so let's say 5yr/120-130M. Or they could've let him go to restricted free agency in 2019 and see what the market dictated.

We'll see what KCP gets next summer, but I'd prefer a 22-23 year old DLo at ~$25M/yr to a 26 year old KCP at ~ $20M/yr, but he may have to take a discount in a buyer's market. I'd obviously prefer PG13 at $30M to either, though.

I don't think the "rookie max" goes up as high as 5 year 120M. They are allowed an increase of 26-30% of their yearly salary when they are up for extension.

I may be wrong there but I think that's the case. Though I am probably wrong there because Anthony Davis got 22M a year after his 4th year when he got a max contract extension.

Under the 2019 cap, I believe the 4-6 year max will be around $26M, so DLo would be taking a fair paycut in my scenario.

The insane thing to me is that Giannis signed a 4/100 extension, and he's already grossly underpaid.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
epak wrote:
HellCrowe wrote:

Good stuff.

Under the 2019 cap, I believe the 4-6 year max will be around $26M, so DLo would be taking a fair paycut in my scenario.

The insane thing to me is that Giannis signed a 4/100 extension, and he's already grossly underpaid.

Steph Curry was making 11m a year for a while.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject:

The poor shooting of our roster is showing up in full force tonight. 15% from 3 as a team.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers played 100% better when Magic arrived at Staples. 😎
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
The Lakers played 100% better when Magic arrived at Staples. 😎

Daddy's home.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject:

You know, I have [had] a lot of criticisms of Magic, and I think many of them are justified. One of them that wasn't was his return on the Lou Williams deal. Not only did I underestimate the scouting corps (#28 is a better return for the Lakers than for other teams), I also derided him for bringing back "the sweetener." But I think Brewer's been a quality acquisition, even if he's overall not very good.

So good job there, Magic
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
You know, I have [had] a lot of criticisms of Magic, and I think many of them are justified. One of them that wasn't was his return on the Lou Williams deal. Not only did I underestimate the scouting corps (#28 is a better return for the Lakers than for other teams), I also derided him for bringing back "the sweetener." But I think Brewer's been a quality acquisition, even if he's overall not very good.

So good job there, Magic

Yeah, at the time it looked like a rookie getting taken a bit, but since the salary didn't end up mattering and he has played well, no harm done.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

Brewer is a lock for next season. He is the ultimate veteran minimum kind of player.

Imagine Ingram, PG, LBJ, Hart, Brewer trying to lock down people.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

My complaint of that deal was that he pulled the trigger too fast. Why not wait until the deadline in case something else develops?
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

My complaint of that deal was that he pulled the trigger too fast. Why not wait until the deadline in case something else develops?

In retrospect, Lou Williams is a super sub.

He and Clarkson would kill in this year's bench. I wouldn't mind signing him again.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

Don't forget in all likelihood the trade gave us a couple of extra losses which allowed us to get Ball. Can you imagine where we would be right now without Ball?
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

Don't forget in all likelihood the trade gave us a couple of extra losses which allowed us to get Ball. Can you imagine where we would be right now without Ball?

team with no Balls

Last edited by Hero Ball on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Yes, literally and figuratively.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

He and Clarkson would kill in this year's bench. I wouldn't mind signing him again.

except when you put Lou and Clarkson on the floor together, it's a gunner's convention. They end up having a contest to see who can shoot first and fastest.
That doesn't exactly fit with what they're trying to accomplish with ball movement. If you want to have a 2nd unit that plays a completely different style of basketball then the first unit, bringing Lou back would accomplish that.

no thanks.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

except when you put Lou and Clarkson on the floor together, it's a gunner's convention. They end up having a contest to see who can shoot first and fastest.
That doesn't exactly fit with what they're trying to accomplish with ball movement. If you want to have a 2nd unit that plays a completely different style of basketball then the first unit, bringing Lou back would accomplish that.

no thanks.

What's wrong with shooting fast?

As long as it is an open shot, I say shoot it.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

no thanks.

Every lineup needs a combination of guys that can cover all the bases. Defense, scoring, screening, rebounding, etc. If you have too many guys that have holes and can only do one thing, the other areas lack and you become one dimensional. Last year we had Clarkson, Young and Lou and that is just too much one-dimensional scoring. None of the three guys pass, rebound or play D. It would be a chuckfest.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

"What might have happened" is a pretty weak platform to stand on Venny. Was there another trade of similar player for a mid 20's draft pick that I missed? How many teams that needed a player like Williams, had a mid to low first round pick ? If your arguing so, please give us an example?
Thanks, your friend
Kevin61
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

no thanks.

Every lineup needs a combination of guys that can cover all the bases. Defense, scoring, screening, rebounding, etc. If you have too many guys that have holes and can only do one thing, the other areas lack and you become one dimensional. Last year we had Clarkson, Young and Lou and that is just too much one-dimensional scoring. None of the three guys pass, rebound or play D. It would be a chuckfest.

Lou can play within and outside a system. Not a 6th man of the yr. for nothing .
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

no thanks.

Lou can play within and outside a system. Not a 6th man of the yr. for nothing .

VLF. The deal had to have been pulled fast. The narrative about Mitch was he sat on deals too long and they get taken off the table. For example, we had a deal with Utah for LouWill for their #24 pick. Mitch sat on it too long and Utah said the heck with you guys. I believed we would have taken Kuzma at 24 if given the opportunity, so it all worked out anyways. And we got Brewer who is solid for us.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

"What might have happened" is a pretty weak platform to stand on Venny. Was there another trade of similar player for a mid 20's draft pick that I missed? How many teams that needed a player like Williams, had a mid to low first round pick ? If your arguing so, please give us an example?
Thanks, your friend
Kevin61

We didn’t have the luxury of hindsight then. Why do you think that Mitch was sitting on that trade?
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

We probably swap places with the Suns and we lose our pick. No Ball.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 32 of 174
Jump to: