Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We didn’t have the luxury of hindsight then. Why do you think that Mitch was sitting on that trade?

What other possible trades were available for Williams at that time that were reasonable for the Lakers to do?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
tox wrote:
You know, I have [had] a lot of criticisms of Magic, and I think many of them are justified. One of them that wasn't was his return on the Lou Williams deal. Not only did I underestimate the scouting corps (#28 is a better return for the Lakers than for other teams), I also derided him for bringing back "the sweetener." But I think Brewer's been a quality acquisition, even if he's overall not very good.

So good job there, Magic

Don't forget in all likelihood the trade gave us a couple of extra losses which allowed us to get Ball. Can you imagine where we would be right now without Ball?

We probably swap places with the Suns and we lose our pick. No Ball.

Yet the Suns tanker and got a worse pick. Hence the term “lottery.”
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:
You know, I have [had] a lot of criticisms of Magic, and I think many of them are justified. One of them that wasn't was his return on the Lou Williams deal. Not only did I underestimate the scouting corps (#28 is a better return for the Lakers than for other teams), I also derided him for bringing back "the sweetener." But I think Brewer's been a quality acquisition, even if he's overall not very good.

So good job there, Magic

My complaint of that deal was that he pulled the trigger too fast. Why not wait until the deadline in case something else develops?

"What might have happened" is a pretty weak platform to stand on Venny. Was there another trade of similar player for a mid 20's draft pick that I missed? How many teams that needed a player like Williams, had a mid to low first round pick ? If your arguing so, please give us an example?
Thanks, your friend
Kevin61

We didn’t have the luxury of hindsight then. Why do you think that Mitch was sitting on that trade?

Because Mitch unfortunately, for one reason or another, just wasn't that good anymore. See a few posts above on the Utah story.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:

Our three 1st round picks have been impressive

Bryant is gonna be a player too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

What other possible trades were available for Williams at that time that were reasonable for the Lakers to do?

How the hell would I know. But if they did, we already put ourselves out of play.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:

So good job there, Magic

My complaint of that deal was that he pulled the trigger too fast. Why not wait until the deadline in case something else develops?

In retrospect, Lou Williams is a super sub.

He and Clarkson would kill in this year's bench. I wouldn't mind signing him again.

except when you put Lou and Clarkson on the floor together, it's a gunner's convention. They end up having a contest to see who can shoot first and fastest.
That doesn't exactly fit with what they're trying to accomplish with ball movement. If you want to have a 2nd unit that plays a completely different style of basketball then the first unit, bringing Lou back would accomplish that.

no thanks.

What's wrong with shooting fast?

As long as it is an open shot, I say shoot it.

Every lineup needs a combination of guys that can cover all the bases. Defense, scoring, screening, rebounding, etc. If you have too many guys that have holes and can only do one thing, the other areas lack and you become one dimensional. Last year we had Clarkson, Young and Lou and that is just too much one-dimensional scoring. None of the three guys pass, rebound or play D. It would be a chuckfest.

Lou can play within and outside a system. Not a 6th man of the yr. for nothing .

VLF. The deal had to have been pulled fast. The narrative about Mitch was he sat on deals too long and they get taken off the table. For example, we had a deal with Utah for LouWill for their #24 pick. Mitch sat on it too long and Utah said the heck with you guys. I believed we would have taken Kuzma at 24 if given the opportunity, so it all worked out anyways. And we got Brewer who is solid for us.

All we know is that Utah pulled the deal after Magic took over. We don't know how long it was out there or why they pulled it.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Some random thoughts for 17/18

On roster
1) Lopez or Mozgov? Nothing material. Both are slow big and not fit with our so so-called uptempo style basketball
2) Ball or Dlo? Nothing material either. We play Ball with Lopez, Nance and KCP, mostly in half court style. It’s similar to bench Dlo and ask him to play uptempo style last year.
3) great addition of KCP and Hart. Together with Brewer and Ingram, it make our perimeter defense a lot better
4) for 2018 summer dream, it has already costed one of our young players in Dlo and always have JC, Randle on rumors. What will it end up?

On Luke
Second year as HC. Offense looks better than Scott era. Defense shows flashes too. But still can’t put it together, not in consistent basis too. In words, we’re young Warriors or Showtime II, Phil II indeed.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Who's Magic gonna pick to replace Luke?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Lebron.

(Tom Izzo is my real answer)
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Lebron.

Michigan.

Is he an X and O or a defensive coach?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Lebron.

Michigan St.

I don't follow college BB enough to offer an answer to that. Magic just adores him, though.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Lebron.

Michigan St.

I don't follow college BB enough to offer an answer to that. Magic just adores him, though.

I mean Michigan as a connection between Izzo, Magic, Pelinka and of course Kuz.

We need offense, badly.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Lebron.

Oooh, that's a good prediction. Didn't even think about that connection.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/925049516817973248
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Guess we can finally add this to the list of silly Magic quotes now that the Dodgers lost the WS

Magic Johnson wrote:
And last but not least, the Dodgers are going to win the World Series this year. This is our year

Link
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Guess we can finally add this to the list of silly Magic quotes now that the Dodgers lost the WS

Magic Johnson wrote:
And last but not least, the Dodgers are going to win the World Series this year. This is our year

Link

nah. Can't fault him for that
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

Magic Johnson wrote:

Link

One win off. Not bad
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Magic Johnson wrote:

Link

One win off. Not bad

the Dodgers were 71-31 when he made his bold claim.....would not call him Nostradamus even if they had won....it would be similar to predicting Notre Dame will beat Wake Forest this week.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma for DLO may end up being a great trade! I really think Kuzma will be a MORE well rounded player, not sure if DLO will ever bother playing defense...

But getting rid of Mozgov and getting Lopez was extra icing on the cake...
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo
BI
LeBron
Kuz
Boogie
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Magic Johnson wrote:

Link

One win off. Not bad

the Dodgers were 71-31 when he made his bold claim.....would not call him Nostradamus even if they had won....it would be similar to predicting Notre Dame will beat Wake Forest this week.

Man, kick the guy when he's down! Orlando doesn't even have a team! 😂
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Kuzma for DLO may end up being a great trade! I really think Kuzma will be a MORE well rounded player, not sure if DLO will ever bother playing defense...

But getting rid of Mozgov and getting Lopez was extra icing on the cake...

Kuzma was the icing.

Getting rid of Mozgov (and whomever we get for him next year) is the real deal.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Magic Johnson wrote:

Link

One win off. Not bad

Man, kick the guy when he's down! Orlando doesn't even have a team! 😂

not sure what you talkin bout....we currently have the best team in the NBA ......The Orlando Magic....a.k.a. The Other SuperTeam

fwiw, the Rays are only a little over an hour away (but I grew up a Reds fan).
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Magic Johnson wrote:

Link

One win off. Not bad

Magic Johnson's the kind of person that would tweet "Alright, if we can score more points than the other team, we have a chance to win!" and call it a prediction.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Magic Johnson wrote:

Link

One win off. Not bad

Magic Johnson's the kind of person that would tweet "Alright, if we can score more points than the other team, we have a chance to win!" and call it a prediction.

Funny, that's similar to a quote you'd make. Just replace "Magic" with "MJST" & "we" with "Randle"! 😂
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 33 of 174
Jump to: