Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Just shut da hell up Kobe. He does not want LeBron come here to challenge his legacy, just stay retired already.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Just shut da hell up Kobe. He does not want LeBron come here to challenge his legacy, just stay retired already.

he's the next Byron Scott!!
fubby1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

I think it simply means that we are not as desperate as some would surmise.
You do not want a rival to think you are weak or at a disadvantage. I agree with them , and yes believe in our young core. May not be instant success but more enduring. I believe they will make better decisions by being patient, there is where we gain advantage.
Lakers 4 eva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Kobe just comes across as trying to protect his legacy. It would kill him if he sees LBJ come in and win a title in his first 2-3 yrs

Kobe rather have youngsters keep growing for the next 10 yrs so the media will always say the last Laker Championship was when Kobe lead the Lakers

Ya I dont think thats whats in Kobe's mind. I know he does "DETAILS" but I think he so far removed from the NBA that he doesnt think about petty (bleep) like that. I think he's more obsessed over filmmaking than basketball at this point but you guys can go ahead and keep on hating.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Kobe just comes across as trying to protect his legacy. It would kill him if he sees LBJ come in and win a title in his first 2-3 yrs

Kobe rather have youngsters keep growing for the next 10 yrs so the media will always say the last Laker Championship was when Kobe lead the Lakers

I simply don't buy this. I hate it that people have been interpreting what he's said like this. When have we ever known Kobe to be insecure and feel threatened by the greatness of another player? Is it not at least possible that his opinions on LeBron and his free agency this summer are just that- his honest opinions?
WWBD
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject:

I hope Pelinka means what he says. We're not winning a title next year even IF we got all three of Lebron, PG, and Kawhi. Our young guys' window perfectly aligns with the Warriors' inevitable fading. Sign two guys with the cap space this summer, awesome. But don't trade anything of value for KL when he can come for free next year.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject:

I think the players that could potentially come make a big difference. CP3 and LeBron is a very short window. Kawhi + PG and/or LeBron, not so short.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject:

Lakers 4 eva wrote:
YSong wrote:

Ya I dont think thats whats in Kobe's mind. I know he does "DETAILS" but I think he so far removed from the NBA that he doesnt think about petty (bleep) like that. I think he's more obsessed over filmmaking than basketball at this point but you guys can go ahead and keep on hating.

Some people that call themselves Lakers fans or with an understanding of Kobe are acting like Kobe gives a darn what anyone thinks of his legacy

They ask him an honest question he gives them his honest answer, and because they don't like it, they'd rather try to put Kobe down as opposed to seeing where he has a point.

It's amusing to say the least, and I wonder how many of them would rush to defend LeBron against Kobe if he suddenly wasn't a free agent.

"Kobe's only being objective cause he's scared when LeBron comes here he's gonna surpass his legacy as a Laker!!!"

If you think for one single solitary second that LeBron would come here and be a threat to Kobe's Laker legacy, then there's nothing further to discuss with people that think so little of him in that aspect. That "two week" memory hits. Kobe is the greatest Laker of all time. LeBron ain't coming here with Paul George and unseating that. LeBron has to pass Magic before he catches Kobe, and he isn't doing that either. Especially in this 2 year run where we likely wouldn't beat the Warriors anyway.

So that entire 'theory' is as Nick Wright as it gets tbh.

And anyway, Pelinka is saying the same sentiments Kobe was saying. So is Pelinka scared LeBron is gonna come here and 'unseat his former client's legacy' too?

It's silly.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
MJST wrote:
I think it means from Pelinka's point of view he's essentially saying

"We don't want to be the Cavs. We want to be the Warriors or the Spurs"

When it comes to how they build their team/dynasty.

Which means they don't want a "3 year run and then back to the bottom of the league" destiny like the Cavs seem to be headed.

I'm more skeptical. Rob has been an agent a long time and he knows perception is everything.

If we go around telling everyone we are willing to do a firesale of our young talent, it just makes us look desperate and drives the value of our players down in trades. Other teams know they can fleece us.

If we appear disinterested, it is more likely we can get better deals.

Not saying Rob is not telling the truth, honestly I don't know. But i'll be slow to take anything he - as a super agent - says at face value.

Kobe's opinion I am more inclined to believe as reflective of what he really thinks.

A month ago they shattered the notion that they're completely close-minded about trading any of the young guys. They said they're open to it if it's the right deal. No reason to think what he’s saying is just a PR ploy in preparation for a future deal. I know that's the narrative that many have convinced themselves of, but this is not the first time he and Magic have said this. Detractors have just refused to listen to it.

Very, very true sir.

If I only had a dollar for every time someone mentioned the absolute certainty of Magic’s impatience ...
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Sweet music to my ears, Pelinka.

To me, it’s not about acquiring Kawhi, who will eventually wear the colors. It’s about belief of your own talent evaluation. Do you trade talent that you believe to be transcendent to the Spurs.

Do you give them BI, Kuz, and any of the combination of talent that has yet to be realized, when who you’re trading for (a player of HOF potential), can be yours a year away. I mean, Kawhi wants to be here, in LA. Kawhi could have easily said, trade me to the Dubs for Klay. And been easily out of SA. Instead he wants us, and now... he’s set up for that by dragging ass on the team that the Spurs will petty trade Kawhi to.

If I’m reading too much into it, and please pardon my speculation, but I would venture a guess at a gchat going on between King PG and Kawhi. Discussing general plans and how Lakeshow can accommodate the three of them comfortably along with eyeing a sustained attack on the dubz with the guys still on rook contracts.

Unfortunately JR will need to be sacrificed to maintain flex for Kawhi... unless SA wants someone who actually wants to be with SA through a rebuild and be taught by Pop (one Julius Randle), not to mention be a little closer to home in his home state - and save time and effort offering super max to a player who has already checked out of their system. Not to mention the fact that JR would sign long term with SA, and do his damndest to prove the Lakers made a mistake in letting him go.

Too much pride from SA to see that this is the best option for them.

I digress...

Point being, the wheels were set into motion the moment PG declared he wanted out of Indy and wanted to be a Laker. I have not doubt, King’s ears perked up at this, and now we’re off to the races. Kawhi saw the writing on the wall, is being thrown under the buss by his franchise, and sees something brewing in Hollywood. He saw the template used by PG, and wants the same damn outcome. This train is going full steam at the super Dubs, you can’t stop it, even the league wants it... just as the green team comes into its own as the newest Best of the Least. The rivalry is set and will mature into renewal by the 2019/20 season... Celtic will exhaust their draft reserves by attempting to acquire AD - where Magic’s ultimate weapon is revealed by him planting a seed with Giannis.

Vision... and a plan... willing pieces taking pay cuts to generate a whole lotta cash, and take the finals to a whole new level.

The feeling you get when you wish you could bronze a post while simultaneously flushing 1,000 meaningless and distracting posts down the toilet. Well done sir ... and you’ve been reading.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject:

WWBD wrote:
I hope Pelinka means what he says. We're not winning a title next year even IF we got all three of Lebron, PG, and Kawhi. Our young guys' window perfectly aligns with the Warriors' inevitable fading. Sign two guys with the cap space this summer, awesome. But don't trade anything of value for KL when he can come for free next year.

If Walton coaches his ass off (integrating James and George, yet empowering Ingram and Kuzma), dont be shocked to see them win a ring as soon as next year ... and I’m about the least homery guy in the world. I’m just calling a spade a spade. This team is built very intelligently. Just because the role players are young doesn’t mean they can’t win a ring. We’ll see though.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject:

I agree 100%
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject:

Kobe gave his heart and body for this team and he is going to speak his mind and frankly has earned the right to.

Lebron has a lot more to worry about than some comments from Kobe. The two guys played against eachother for like a decade. Kobe has said worst to LBJ straight to his face on the court.

I'm sure LBJ can handle it. I'm going to give LBJ some credit and believe he already knows what Kobe is thinking since he personally knows him.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject:

CalisFinest wrote:
Yea, no clue what Kobe's saying here. If he were in his prime looking for a ring he wouldn't be waiting on these guys, he'd be saying "ship his ass out". Titles are incredibly hard to come by, you gotta take your chance when you have it. Just look at OKC.

Kobe low key sabotaging Lebron's ring count.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

Pelinka's" "sustainable success" is political feel-good jargon only. He's not said anything objectionable nor anything quantifiable. If every team isn't seeking sustainable success, what's the alternative ?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

Kobe basically went PC, especially towards the end of his career.

Now, besides his scouting videos, it's hard to take anything Kobe says seriously
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

im glad Pelinka thinks that way. get James and either trade Deng now and go after PG, or keep Deng and trade him next summer, hen go after Kawhi. either is fine with me. the 3 star plan was always unnecessary commotion for us the way i see it.

picture this, you live in a nice house, have 2 cars, lovely wife, kids, and you win 2 yachts on a quiz. now you hear talks about your next door neighbor Joe, whos been having a bad time at work and has financial difficulties, selling his yacht, and you think to yourself "having a 3rd yacht would be really nice, i could throw big parties in summer and invite family, friends and coworkers, it will be legendary". but Joe is kind of a dick to you, ever since that time you came home drunk and he caught you peeing in his pool, and that one time he saw you peeping on his daughters pool party. so you approach Joe as hes watering the flowers in his garden, and start the conversation:
"sup Joe, lovely day isnt it?"
"....."
"hows wife and kids?"
"....."
"those are some nice looking flowers, what are you using for..."
"just tell me what the hell you want and get lost already, Rob!"
"chill bruh, i hear youre selling your yacht. was wondering..."
"your house!"
"what?"
"i want your house!"
"hold on Joe, arent you overreacting a bit? i already told you, i thought it was Steves house. and that other time, i dropped my car keys somewhere in the bushes, and was trying..."
"I SAID I WANT YOUR HOUSE!!! and while youre at it, slip in your car as well. YOUR car, not the wifes!"
"OK fam, chill. im gonna think about it. jeez"
so you come home and think to yourself, "do i really need a house? the kids will go to college soon anyway, and i could move to the sea and live in a yacht. id have 3 of them after all hehe. how awesome does that sound? 3 YACHTS. cant wait till i tell Judie". and as you experience what hell feels like for the 1st time after you tell your wife about the plan, you come to your senses and realize you would be perfectly fine with 2 yachts. after all, you had NONE just 2 days ago, and now you have 2, a nice house, 2 cars, and a lovely life. you still throw parties in the summer, but only invite your friends, and still have lots of fun. meanwhile, Joe sold his yacht to Steve, and couldnt even cover half of his debts with the money. his wife divorces him, he sells the house, and moves to Jersey where he lives in a small apartment and has no friends. see kids, this is what happens to greedy (bleep), who hold grudges and cant let go.

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

That’s a vivid story.
nbcbballthemesong
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

For everyone getting their panties in a bunch over Kobe's comments, you are over thinking this.

Pelinka is his guy....he's trying to downplay expectations so that even if the Lakers strike out on FA this summer it won't appear as a total failure.

That's my take anyway.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

Wait what's wrong with what Kobe said? Does everyone want a fire sale?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Wait what's wrong with what Kobe said? Does everyone want a fire sale?

No, just chicken little "fans" who are projecting their own insecurities on a Lakers legend.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Let's not forget this is the same office who said non of our young players are not tradeable just over a month ago. This is basically him telling Spurs to take our previous offer and Spurs fought back by saying they are only sending KL to the Eastern conference. Once Spurs change their mind, we will see our young players shipping out.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:

That's precisely what it is. Cowherd said it best, Kobe doesn't want to see LA flooded with Lebron jerseys. It's not a coincidence all of his recent comments are coming at a time when there are Lebron to LA rumors flying around. He hasn't said much regarding the Lakers until now.

Anyway, Pelinka is right, I hope we can land Lebron+George, and get Kawahi on the cheap @ the trade deadline or somehow sign him as a free agent next year. If we can't get Kawahi, Lebron+George+Ingram+Kuzma+Ball will still be very competitive. The kids will be even more attractive trade pieces as they improve over last season.

Also, I personally don't subscribe to the belief that the Warriors will win titles for the next 2-3 years. If you look at the NBA history, most championship teams eventually fizzle out after a few years. The Lakers are the perfect example of this. Thet won back to back titles in 09 and 10, then got swept out by the Mavericks. Almost like they lose the hunger after winning so much.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Lopez/Wagner/T.Black
Randle/Kuzma/T.Bryant
LeBron/Igram
PG13/Hart/Svi
Ball/Felton,S.Curry,Lawson,D.Harris,Larkin

That team is good enough to compete and still have a bright future/core
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lopez/Wagner/T.Black
Randle/Kuzma/T.Bryant
LeBron/Igram
PG13/Hart/Svi
Ball/Felton,S.Curry,Lawson,D.Harris,Larkin

That team is good enough to compete and still have a bright future/core

Yes it is, wouldn't mind going with that lineup. Also think about how many wins Lebron would at to the team? IMO they would win 50+ games easily assuming they're healthy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 37 of 174
Jump to: