Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject:

Randle with another huge game.

Still can't believe the FO didn't try to resign him given that they could have got him on a long term deal for around $10m a year. At that price point, he becomes a major trade asset.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject:

He didn't want to be here.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Correct. He ASKED them to renounce his rights.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
danzag wrote:

He asked to be renounced because they made it clear he was at the bottom of their priority list.

The entirety of Randle's final season with the team was him constantly being told he wasn't wanted regardless of how well he played.
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

Randle is so good that the Pelicans wanted to trade him for a FRP and no team wanted to offer that
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

At the least, the Lakers should have just kept Jules for 1 year (unless he's sitting out a year, he would have just signed the QO and been a FA).

No need to panic and let him out by renouncing him. We could use a banger like him. We genuinely do not have one outside of Tyson, but he's too old to do it regularly.
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

Randle is so good that the Pelicans wanted to trade him for a FRP and no team wanted to offer that
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Practice wrote:
drae wrote:
Practice wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Practice wrote:
It's amazing how much Jeanie, Magic, and Pelinka have screwed the Lakers in the past two years. If they fail this offseason they've potentially ruined everything the Lakers have done since Dwight left and topped the damage Mitch and Jim caused on their way out. The Lakers FO is basically Knicks west right now and getting punked by everyone.

2020 is also the year when Mozgov and Deng contracts would have expired so if they do fail this offseason but eventually succeed in the next one it would still be considered a failure.

We would have given up all the players previously mentioned + ingram to pair a 36 year old lebron with a max, which in the end isn't likely a championship team.

They have to start paying guys after this next offseason, so there won't be room to do much going forward. Magic also said that if he doesn't turn the team around this upcoming summer it's a failure and he'll quit.

And leave someone else to clean up his mess ...

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Jeanie promoted Rambis in that scenario.
Another terrible hire if that's what happens

All I want is someone smart enough to hire smart people that know what they're doing.

Right now the Lakers hire people with little to no experience that have ties to the Lakers without looking at more than one candidate with obvious gaps like the lack of analytics or shooting coaches. As someone with so little experience I think it's weird that Magic went with Pelinka rather than someone more experienced to help him out, but Magic seems to be the kind of guy that wants to do things his own way.

The Lakers are being run like the whitehouse. ...
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject:

Sago wrote:

Of course no team wanted to trade a first round pick for him. Would you trade a first round pick for a 3 month rental that you knew you couldn't resign because you didn't own his bird rights? For teams with cap-space, if you wanted Randle, you just wait for the offseason to sign him out right.
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Sago wrote:

Of course no team wanted to trade a first round pick for him. Would you trade a first round pick for a 3 month rental that you knew you couldn't resign because you didn't own his bird rights? For teams with cap-space, if you wanted Randle, you just wait for the offseason to sign him out right.

The point is... some Laker fans think Randle is that good but in reality, he is just a decent role player.

Even Pelican fans see he’s an empty stat guy. We overate our players too much
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
danzag wrote:

After the front office ignored him and made it clear they were distracted with the two max plan only. And fans dismissing his strengths to focus on his "poor" 3pt shooting only.

Still think letting him walk was a blunder by the FO. Would have loved to see him pounding the boards and pushing the pace. His effort in the paint would be a refreshing aspect to this season. His 20/9/3/ 34% 3pt sure would look good right about now.

But in the end it was probably the best thing for him. If still on the Lakers he would be forced to hand the ball over, slow it down to watch James orchestrate the offense for 20 secs and sit in the corner. Then be called useless because he is "not a good enough 3pt shooter in today's NBA".

Sure hope the FO can figure this out and land their elusive marquee player. So far they are leaving a trail of quality players being snubbed and FAs choosing to go elsewhere.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

Sago wrote:

Would you give up a first round pick for a guy that's about to be an unrestricted Free agent?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
danzag wrote:

After the front office ignored him and made it clear they were distracted with the two max plan only. And fans dismissing his strengths to focus on his "poor" 3pt shooting only.

Still think letting him walk was a blunder by the FO. Would have loved to see him pounding the boards and pushing the pace. His effort in the paint would be a refreshing aspect to this season. His 20/9/3/ 34% 3pt sure would look good right about now.

But in the end it was probably the best thing for him. If still on the Lakers he would be forced to hand the ball over, slow it down to watch James orchestrate the offense for 20 secs and sit in the corner. Then be called useless because he is "not a good enough 3pt shooter in today's NBA".

Sure hope the FO can figure this out and land their elusive marquee player. So far they are leaving a trail of quality players being snubbed and FAs choosing to go elsewhere.

I 100% wanted him back with LBJ as he would have been the bruiser that LBJ needed (look at how Tristan served that role for LBJ).

I actually disagree about how he'd fare with LBJ. I think he would have looked good as a small ball center most especially and we could have pushed the pace with him. I think he'd be a more interesting fit than BI who is having a bit of a difficult time acclimating with LBJ. But a closing lineup of:

Lonzo
BI
LBJ
Kuz
Jules

Would have been interesting as a one year experiment.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
danzag wrote:

Still think letting him walk was a blunder by the FO.

Even if you don't think he is in your long term plan, you take advantage of the buyers market, sign him to a long term deal that would be a well below market deal and then trade him at a later point.

You don't just give away an asset.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

Just hearing Russell and watching Randle perform out there, I'm happy for them, because its hard to be a professional in this league.

Russell recently stated getting traded from the Lakers was the best thing to ever happen to him and he's 100% correct, because he wouldn't be an All-Star in the West, the guard play is too solid every night and you can't take games off.
The other notion I always like to bring up, is that not everyone can play for the Lakers, the most storied franchise in history... So yeah uhm...

As for Randle, I hated to see him go, I would have love to see him paired with LeBron posted up on the inside this season, but obviously the FO knew they were going to have to pay-out b$$$ they couldn't afford. Albeit we should have traded instead of waived him...

Randle is a Double-Double in this league and he's not the type of player you just let walk, he could have easily been involved in that trade for Davis before the deadline and we could have possibly kept 1-2 of the other young guys if the trade would have happened... But we kept them all anyway!

At the end of the day if you're picked 1-10 in the draft, there's no way you should be considered a bust, that just means you weren't serious enough about your craft and didn't realize what you may have not have had to work for before, that you finally had to put in work for!!!

Zo+Ingram those guys should be balling out every game, like Kuzma is and never complain, never be satisfied and no one will think twice about trading them... Kuz was a low pick and game in balling and still balling and he's made him self a valuable asset!

Players should take note!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

The irony is that DLO has the shooting skills and creation that we want in Lonzo.

Jules has the physical brutishness that we pine for in BI.

Short story, they would have been nice pieces alongside our current #2 picks.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
danzag wrote:

I 100% wanted him back with LBJ as he would have been the bruiser that LBJ needed (look at how Tristan served that role for LBJ).

I actually disagree about how he'd fare with LBJ. I think he would have looked good as a small ball center most especially and we could have pushed the pace with him. I think he'd be a more interesting fit than BI who is having a bit of a difficult time acclimating with LBJ. But a closing lineup of:

Lonzo
BI
LBJ
Kuz
Jules

I agree with your vision of how it "could" have been with Randle's role. Just being a bit sarcastic with my description.

At this point the FO needs to get control of the situation and their own plans. So far I see chaos and inconsistency in hopes of the big headline.

Team is dysfunctional from FO, coaching to roster. Any team chemistry they had is ruined. Doubt they can turn it around enough to even make the playoffs this season. Hope they prove me wrong!

But this off-season needs leadership from Magic and James. Whatever it takes in FA and trades needs to be done over the summer. Then whatever form the roster takes needs to have some stability for a couple seasons.

A commitment to a HC and core players. A buy-in from the organization to quit chasing fantasy rosters and punting salary on one year deals and not so subtle press releases of the next target in trade.

IMO by the start of next season the framework needs to be in place and they go with it, good bad or ugly. Older vets or young core. Have the press conference and state "this is our team going forward".

This is my hope of stability and chemistry but I also have little confidence it happens with the track records of drama from James and Magic.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
danzag wrote:

Lonzo
BI
LBJ
Kuz
Jules

I agree with your vision of how it "could" have been with Randle's role. Just being a bit sarcastic with my description.

At this point the FO needs to get control of the situation and their own plans. So far I see chaos and inconsistency in hopes of the big headline.

Team is dysfunctional from FO, coaching to roster. Any team chemistry they had is ruined. Doubt they can turn it around enough to even make the playoffs this season. Hope they prove me wrong!

But this off-season needs leadership from Magic and James. Whatever it takes in FA and trades needs to be done over the summer. Then whatever form the roster takes needs to have some stability for a couple seasons.

A commitment to a HC and core players. A buy-in from the organization to quit chasing fantasy rosters and punting salary on one year deals and not so subtle press releases of the next target in trade.

IMO by the start of next season the framework needs to be in place and they go with it, good bad or ugly. Older vets or young core. Have the press conference and state "this is our team going forward".

This is my hope of stability and chemistry but I also have little confidence it happens with the track records of drama from James and Magic.

This is so important... I think we've destroyed whatever goodwill we built by our treatment of Kobe with our treatment of our young players.

What I see is "We will treat you like a God if you are a top five player... however if you are anything less... you will be sacrificed for the benefit of said top five player."

So great for LBJ or AD... not good for any young player or secondary asset who might consider coming.

Maybe their plan is to sign 3 top 6 players... in which case, sure you can win with the desperate trash willing to subjugate themselves to play for a title... but anything less than that... and they aren't winning anything.

They need to rethink their vision... and commit to the core and show non elite players that they will also be treated with respect.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

Let's not forget the idiotic plays Randle provided night in and night out (TOs, charges, etc.). Also, he was out of shape for his entire Lakers tenure until it was a contract season. I regret the FO trading DLo, but 0 regrets with letting go of no IQ Randle.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
What I see is "We will treat you like a God if you are a top five player... however if you are anything less... you will be sacrificed for the benefit of said top five player."

But this has been the case for the Lakers for 30 years.

NVE/Eddie Jones (two of my fave Lakers) were sacrificed at the altar of the great Shaq/Kobe iteration.

Pau/Lamar (guys who earned their place in the Lakers pantheon) were traded for a then-top 3 guy in CP3.

Ariza, who is also one of my fave non-star Laker, was let go and they offered the same deal to Artest (who then helped us win a ring against the Celts, which is always more pleasurable in my book).

So while it sucks, even Dr. Buss signed off on this concept. I just don't like how it went down with Klutch trying to orchestrate a futile exile from the Pels to the Lakers.

It was too transparently obvious that the Pels were not going to trade AD to us but Magic/Rob fell into that trap badly.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
danzag wrote:

I don't think Randle is a particularly good player, but otherwise I agree with you. He has a DRPM of -1.56. That would rank him 91st out of 93 PFs. ESPN lists him as a center, and he ranks 65th out of 65. His offense elevates his overall ranking as a center to 41st out of 65. So he can score you a bunch of points, but defensively he is the big man version of Isaiah Thomas.

But volume scoring has value, though some people underrate it in these discussions. At the end of the day, you gotta score. Furthermore, I expect that a lot of coaches would look at his defense and think, "He's never going to be Hakeem, but I can get more out of him than that." He's a 20 and 9 guy right now. That has value.

And that's my problem with the quick fix strategy. We sacrificed a lot of assets for nothing. We just pissed them away because we wanted cap space. If Paul George had signed on, it might have made sense. But he didn't, and so we ended up with a bunch of mismatched mercenaries. We kicked the can down the street for a year.

Don't want to keep D'Angelo Russell? That's fine. I didn't like his attitude, and the Nets trade may have been the best thing that ever happened to him. But get value for him. In substance, we traded Russell for Josh Hart. I actually like Hart more than some of you, but that's still a significant overpay. We also got some cap space, which is gathering dust in a closet somewhere. It's a damn shame that cap space can't play point guard. Imagine the PA announcer: "At guard for the Los Angeles Lakers . . . Maximum Capspace!" The crowd goes wild.

Don't want to keep Larry Nance, Jr.? That's fine. The metrics people love Nance to death. RPM ranks him 25th among PFs this year. Last year he ranked 9th. You may think that this is some sort of statistical fluke. Fine. Just remember that the Cavs decided to pay him. He had value. In substance, we traded Nance (and Clarkson) for Mo Wagner. We also got some more cap space to stick in the closet.

Don't want to keep Julius Randle? That's fine. As discussed above, I don't think he's that great. But all we got for him was some more cap space to stick into the closet. Hooray. I guess he cleared some room for Lance Stevenson, or something like that.

If we open the closet this summer and find Kawhi Leonard or Kevin Durant inside, all of this may make some sense. We still got a pretty paltry return on the first half of our vaunted young core. If we do sign Leonard or Durant, then you can bet that we'll dump most of the rest of the young core to fill out the roster. Magic needs to win now.

In fact, we could be approaching the scenario that I fear the most. Suppose Kawhi goes to the Clippers. Durant and Thompson stay home. Irving stays a Celtic, and Butler stays a Sixer. You can switch that around a little, but you get the idea. The cupboard is bare, except maybe for some guys like Walker and Vucevic. What's Magic going to do? He'll be hearing on the radio that every Lowes and Home Depot in southern California is selling out on pitchforks and torches. What's he going to do?!? The agents will be circling around that closet full of cap space like buzzards. What's he going to do?!?!?

Yep, this is what I've been worrying about for a year now. Isiah Thomas did not wake up one morning and say, "Hey, I think I'll destroy the Knicks today!" He got to that point by talking himself into bad decisions. And Magic and Isiah have some history.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

I think Magic is quickly (hopefully) discovering in the league of GMs/FOs, there are "Magic Johnsons" out there that far outpace him. These are the math nerds and talent evaluators who got to their positions grinding through the system based on merit.

Magic? Well, he's Magic.

Crazy thing is that we may just end up getting another max, then trading for AD, and we just gloss over these things.

Last edited by yinoma2001 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

NVE/Eddie Jones (two of my fave Lakers) were sacrificed at the altar of the great Shaq/Kobe iteration.

Pau/Lamar (guys who earned their place in the Lakers pantheon) were traded for a then-top 3 guy in CP3.

Ariza, who is also one of my fave non-star Laker, was let go and they offered the same deal to Artest (who then helped us win a ring against the Celts, which is always more pleasurable in my book).

So while it sucks, even Dr. Buss signed off on this concept. I just don't like how it went down with Klutch trying to orchestrate a futile exile from the Pels to the Lakers.

It was too transparently obvious that the Pels were not going to trade AD to us but Magic/Rob fell into that trap badly.

The difference is that they didn't know they were excess baggage until they were already gone. Now that the secret's out... it's hard to sell that illusion.

I think realistically everyone knows that is kind of what's up... like a mistress knows the man isn't going to ever leave his wife. But at least the smooth ones always make everyone feel special.

(I'm not endorsing this behavior... btw... I never ran my business in such a cynical cutthroat way... but I acknowledge its existence)

Magic's like the guy who let his black book get leaked on social media and now everyone knows what a snake he is. He can't sell the illusion anymore because he's been compromised.

So he either needs to change his approach... or hire someone that can garner the necessary trust to move the organization forward.

But telling people to "Be professional" just isn't going to cut it

Especially as he wasn't close to professional in conducting his own business.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Not sure we can compare historical Laker moves to current process. League was different, players were different, salary cap was different, situation is different.

Lakers were always competitive and were drafting at the end of the round. Not out of the playoffs and drafting top 5 consistently. Players were not organizing their own super teams. Today's players have much more control of the narrative, salary cap and power over franchises. Even the reliance of building around an aging player instead of adding him to an established team is different then a Dr. Buss era move.

Lakers have to stop living in the past and build a "team" now. At this point I am frustrated with the decisions they are making but finding myself having to accept them because of being a fan.

I just want to see a lot less chaos and drama and a roster that is about the "now" instead of the "fantasy future". Would prefer a deeper team with a mix of young and old but even if it is a top heavy team and a bunch a ring chasers for a couple seasons it will have more stability then this cluster**** we are seeing now.

No more excuses. If James is the centerpiece then be the leader he is supposed to be. The final 25 games can be the start of some chemistry or just another pathetic Laker season. Then the real fun begins over the summer.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Magic is quickly (hopefully) discovering in the league of GMs/FOs, there are "Magic Johnsons" out there that far outpace him. These are the math nerds and talent evaluators who got to their positions grinding through the system based on merit.

Magic? Well, he's Magic.

Crazy thing is that we may just end up getting another max, then trading for AD, and we just gloss over these things.

We Lakers fans will actually be HAPPY about that, instead of grinding axes because we didn't develop some middle tier talent into a slightly above middle tier talent.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 100 of 174
Jump to: