Phil wants a Guard...Why aren't the Laker's going after Francis again?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Phil wants a Guard...Why aren't the Laker's going after Francis again?

I don't understand it. We could have 50 points from our staring backcourt. We need athleticism and defense and scoring, a legit second option who can handle the ball. Steve Francis is an all-star, but even he knows he's not Kobe Bryant. Why wouldn't he want to play second fiddle to Kobe? Someone enlighten me on why we aren't pursueing him.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:

1) he's a pouty spoiled brat
2) he has one of the worst contracts in the L
3) his game is basically dribbling around for 20 seconds, then putting up a shot - not triangle worthy
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:

francis and defense...

also might have to do with the fact that francis is shooting 26% from 3. and isn't what we need defensivly.

he also got mad about not playing the point, on this team running the tri, i don't think he'll be pleased.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
3) his game is basically dribbling around for 20 seconds, then putting up a shot - not triangle worthy

1. They say that about Kobe, i'm not buying it.
2. They say that about LO, not buying it either.
3. I admit he likes the ball in his hands, but thats fine, rather have him then lengthy ineffective LO out there as initiator, and he likes to shoot but thats a good thing too, because unlike LO, he makes his outside shots....NOT BUYING IT
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

Francis is overrated. For his salary, you could do better. But of course, most here would rather settle for less, as long as something is done.
mporter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

Francis is a good scorer, but I can't imagine him working within the confines of a structured offense, he's more of a free-lancer. Also, $14M, $15M, $16M, $17M...that's what "Franchise" is owed on an annual basis until 2009.

I think when Phil says he needs a guard, he doesn' t mean a star. He's just asking for a smart, serviceable guy who won't make a lot of mistakes. I'm guessing in the mold of a David Wesley, maybe?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject:

Wesley would be my top choice for the MLE this offseason.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject:

If Phil is talking, he's thinking of dealing for one now. Wesley makes sense. So does Eric Snow.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
mporter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

"Wesley would be my top choice for the MLE this offseason."

I too like Wesley, but Matt Harpring will also be a free agent after this season. With his shooting, toughness, and basketball IQ, he'd flourish in the triangle.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject:

thumpinghead wrote:
Socks wrote:

3. I admit he likes the ball in his hands, but thats fine, rather have him then lengthy ineffective LO out there as initiator, and he likes to shoot but thats a good thing too, because unlike LO, he makes his outside shots....NOT BUYING IT

1) Opinion is one thing, but Francis has proved this multiple times - crying his way out of vancouver, kicked out of houston, benched for misconduct in orlando. Look at his recent comments that his play lately has stunk because he isn't comfortable about his name being mentioned in trade talks. This is a business and to me that means he is purposefully tanking to get his team to coddle him, hold his hand and tell him they love him. We don't want that.
2) Honestly, the only people I've heard talk about Odom that way is Laker fans on this board - and franly I think it's unwarranted. Right or wrong, everyone else in the league seems to value Odom's game pretty highly. I don't think anyone says he's underpaid, but you will never see Odom on lists of worst contracts in the L, where almost everyone has Francis on theirs.
3) The next time Francis "initiates" an offense will be his first. Look at his outside shooting percentages - he's a scorer, not a shooter as the triangle requires.

All of these are make Francis a big no thank you. He won't help bring us a championship, so his salary and high-maintenance attitudes aren't worth it.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:

1) Lamar pouts.
2) Lamar has one of the worst contracts in the league.
3) Lamar dribbles for 20 seconds and then gets a charge.

Always the same stupid arguments from people.

Player X has attitude/pouts/will kill someone/is a cancer.
Player X has an awful contract.
Player X is not a triangle fit.

The fact is that players who are:
A) a saint
B) has a great, cap friendly contract and
C) is a perfect triangle fit

Do not exist for practical purposes. No one is going to trade a great player on a cheap contract for what we have. Period. All-star players only become available because they have issues and bad contracts. That's a fact.

Lets look at some contending teams and how they got there:

Detroit--Wallace, issues, bad contract. Worked out well.
Miami--Shaq, bad teammate, lockeroom cancer, worst contract ever. They're doing ok.
New Jersey--Kidd, wife beater, been traded 3 times, bad contract, old, bad knees. Carter, quiter, bad attitude, bad contract. 1st place in the division.

Can't pass up every opportunity because a guy isn't perfect.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Socks wrote:

1) Lamar pouts.
2) Lamar has one of the worst contracts in the league.
3) Lamar dribbles for 20 seconds and then gets a charge.

Always the same stupid arguments from people.

Player X has attitude/pouts/will kill someone/is a cancer.
Player X has an awful contract.
Player X is not a triangle fit.

The fact is that players who are:
A) a saint
B) has a great, cap friendly contract and
C) is a perfect triangle fit

Do not exist for practical purposes. No one is going to trade a great player on a cheap contract for what we have. Period. All-star players only become available because they have issues and bad contracts. That's a fact.

Lets look at some contending teams and how they got there:

Detroit--Wallace, issues, bad contract. Worked out well.
Miami--Shaq, bad teammate, lockeroom cancer, worst contract ever. They're doing ok.
New Jersey--Kidd, wife beater, been traded 3 times, bad contract, old, bad knees. Carter, quiter, bad attitude, bad contract. 1st place in the division.

Can't pass up every opportunity because a guy isn't perfect.

spot on RG...except that Lamar dribbles with his left hand for ONLY 5 seconds and get a charge or gets blocked on his soft attempts

I especially like the bolded part.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Francis is overrated. For his salary, you could do better. But of course, most here would rather settle for less, as long as something is done.

Overrated?

Wow!

Dude has a career average of 20 ppg / 6.5 apg / 6 rpg / 1.5 spg. Is this chop liver to you? The rebounding number is most interesting to me. Francis isn't a guard who just stands around the perimeter. He gets after the ball.

As for his salary, I won't justify it more than any other player's ridiculous contract. But again, I merely look at his numbers and compare them to, say...Lamar Odom. It's no contest from a production standpoint.

Look, I'm not here to say that Francis is an angel - his publicized issues with Orlando shows that he ain't.

But he's a helluva player nonetheless and he could definitely upgrade this team.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

I haven't liked Francies since he said no to Vancouver, because he just didn't want to play there. He's spoiled and he tries to act too much like a hard @$$. I can't see him and Kobe meshing.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:

Basically what I'm hearing from people here is that Lamar is a bad fit for the Lakers and he's on our team, so we should go for Francis as well. I just can't buy into that argument.

I'm not one of the Lamar bashers around here, so I can't agree there. Drifts, you say Lamar pouts, but c'mon, there's not even a comparison to the degree of pouting that Francis does. Lamar has never been benched for conduct detrimental to the team. We all know about Lamar's past trouble, but that's almost 3 years behind him without any other incidents while Francis has been trouble throughout his whole career and shows no signs of maturing.

Also, Lamar is by all accounts a good teammate, Phil and Kobe have said he's crucial to the team, so enough said. Regardless, if the Lakers are going to make a move for someone who doesn't have issues and is a high caliber player, Lamar is going to need to be part of that deal since he's our best trade asset, so he has value to the Lakers on the court and in trade talks.

Again, the bottom line here is that regardless of your feeling for Lamar, that doesn't justify bringing in a guy who is not going to bring this team a championship but will hang his albatross contract on this team's neck as well as bringing his piss poor attitude and poor fit. When you make the argument that despite all this you need to bring Francis on board you sound like another brilliant guy named Isiah who has taken this approach in NY.
filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:

My guess is Jalen Rose. There has been rumours about talks with the Knicks, and those Frye talks could very well be smokescreen...

He's a veteran and versatile big guard, and just in case there's still a 2007 plan, that's when his contract ends. The problem is that he has a huge contract, it would probably take a whole lot of our scrubs to get it done..
Laker-Ryoku
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:

I dont like francis, but if Phil felt like he could work with him, Id do it. But can we get him without giving up Odom? Kobe and Francis carry the scoring load, Lamar sets it up, the front court just has to defend the paint, rebound and chip in here and there.

No way should we give up Odom for him.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

I don't know if I'm pro-Francis (his contract does concern me), but if "he forced his way out of Vancouver" is your primary concern, you need to consider that:

1) The guy was only 20 years old at the time. So it was an immature thing to say/do. John Elway did the EXACT SAME THING with the Colts (he threatened to play baseball if they drafted him) and the guy won 2 superbowl rings. So mark it up to some immaturity. Begrudging the guy for his whole life over this is just being petty, ignorant and unfair.

2) Anyone saying "Steve Francis can't play in a structured offense" also doesn't know what they're talking about. How do you know? Those are the offenses he played in--the freewheeling kind. He also knows that he's not a superstar anymore and just wants to play for a good team and win a ring. Don't hold his past against him. It's easy to be a rich young star and be fed the idea by entourage, marketers, agents, etc that you're a Superstar that should get to do what he wants. I think Steve Francis has been humbled by the trades and futility of seasons past. The guy is still a big guard that can score (don't forget, he had a really good series against us in the last year of the Shaq era) and I think he'd make a great combo with Kobe. It's just that contract i'd be worried about...

Last edited by pjiddy on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:31 am; edited 2 times in total
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
I haven't liked Francies since he said no to Vancouver, because he just didn't want to play there. He's spoiled and he tries to act too much like a hard @$$. I can't see him and Kobe meshing.

Can't deny the talent that he has. Besides, it's Phil's job to deal with the mental issues.
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

My gut feeling is that it wouldn't work out, but if it did, it would be glorious.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:

thumpinghead wrote:
Socks wrote:

Who's "They".......................the government?
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
thumpinghead wrote:
Socks wrote:

Who's "They".......................the government?

"They" = Kobe haters and Shaq's sack lovers. :roll:
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:

thumpinghead wrote:
Socks wrote:

Here, how about a question for you? When was the last time you really watched Stevie Franchise play? Stevie Francis is the epitomy of stupidity. There are those who question Odoms intelligence in here to the point that his SAT's have been posted! Well, after a couple of weeks of "Stevieism" Odom and, his SAT's will be missed.
Contrary to popular belief, Francis like everybody else would also have to learn the tri. The Lakers will make the playoffs this year but, the effort could be jeopardized trying to teach Stevie to (a) be "rolled up newspaper whooped" for awhile to be trained to pass the ball. (b) Francis is nothing more than an average defender. (c) If you've noticed Franchise gets paid! Why do you think Orlando can't get rid of his little dribbling ass?
Jax knows what kind of players and, profiles will work in this system. Stevie is hardly what the Lakers need...
Fansince88
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Francis sucks! He has rep of being a black hole, and he's #3 on Turnovers stats.
Afro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Do you guys think Phil Jackson could change Steve Francis attitude? If he can, Francis would be fit pretty good. Kobe's Ron Harper.

1. Steve Francis can hit mid-range shots. Triangle-fitting.
2. Kobe couldn't be double-teamed that often with Odom, Francis and Mihm playing.
3. Francis is big (6-3/195), could use his height defensively.
4. Francis would improve our rebounding, imagine Francis - Bryant - Odom would be no.1 in backcourt-rebounding.

Compare Ron Harper playing for the clippers, and Ron Harper playing for Phil Jackson:
LAC 93-94: 20,1ppg, 6,1rpg, 4,6apg, 3,2 TOs, .426 FG%, 17,8 attempts per game
CHI 94-95: 1,3 TOs, 6,4 attempts per game
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: