Weekend warriors (Pickup Hoops) - What do you use for recovery?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G_DawgLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Weekend warriors (Pickup Hoops) - What do you use for recovery?

I'm looking to pickup a foam roller, not sure what brand to get. Lately I've noticed guys using this stuff on the sideline. In general I've even started noticing foam rollers of all types at my local runs, 5-10 years ago foam rollers weren't even a thing, now they're everywhere... I've noticed a lot of guys with this Hyperice stuff. Has anyone tried it? Worth the money? Just saw this video on my google feed (probably because it overheard me talking about it...creepy ):

I noticed Blake was using these knees things on the bench when Spectrum zoomed in on him when we played them.

Do you guys prefer ice or heat? Do you have a foam roller or some other gadget no one knows about? What brands do you like?? 30 year old on the downside of his athleticism and need some quick fixes
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

I think Blake is a sponsored athlete for Hyperice so he's branding.

I use just a standard foam roller. That's what I see in most gyms. The dark grey ones are dense enough for me. The size depends on what areas of your body you plan to use it on. I have the 36 in one because I mainly use it on my back, hips, quads and IT bands. For just calves a shorter one might work better or even a roller stick. Just start off slow with the denser rollers because if your not used to it, it can be painful at first.

I use ice for knees/joints and heat for muscles. I'm on the fence about muscle recovery drinks/supplements. I'd love to hear some good recommendations. Most of the ones I've tried just seemed like snake oil.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

They have a lot of great products nowadays you can buy online where you put the electrodes over trouble spots and it stimulates the muscles. I remember undergoing this treatment back 10 years ago when I had some back injuries at work, and it's really cool that you can just buy them off the shelf now.
G_DawgLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

For just calves a shorter one might work better or even a roller stick. Just start off slow with the denser rollers because if your not used to it, it can be painful at first.

Thanks, tore my calf recently so this is definitely +1 helpful

numero-ocho wrote:

I'm on the fence about muscle recovery drinks/supplements. I'd love to hear some good recommendations. Most of the ones I've tried just seemed like snake oil.

I like the Xtend BCAAs. Since I ball and lift, it helps me get thru longer gym sessions. I take SYNTHA6 protein sometimes to supplement my meals. I recommend both for flavor and results.

Hammett wrote:
They have a lot of great products nowadays you can buy online where you put the electrodes over trouble spots and it stimulates the muscles. I remember undergoing this treatment back 10 years ago when I had some back injuries at work, and it's really cool that you can just buy them off the shelf now.

Yeah these Hyperice are so nice looking but I wish I could try them somewhere, the only difference is now there are no "shelves" to try them at lol... but I guess the video I posted is supposed to tell you all you need to know.. this the way of the new internet shopping era
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Lacross balls work really well for smaller muscle groups, as sometimes foam rollers are too broad. As far as foam rollers, UCLA athletic dept started using plain ole PcV pipes which work great and are inexpensive.

My advice is get a good warm up in before playing, target all the major muscle groups but also pay attention to range of motion in your hips and ankles especially. Then after playing stretch again, don’t wait until stiffness settles in. Look up stretches for quadratus lumborum (low back) and gluteus medius (hip) specifically, and you’ll be amazed how much they help. Also of course, drink tons of water to help with recovery.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

CBD
G_DawgLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
Lacross balls work really well for smaller muscle groups, as sometimes foam rollers are too broad. As far as foam rollers, UCLA athletic dept started using plain ole PcV pipes which work great and are inexpensive.

My advice is get a good warm up in before playing, target all the major muscle groups but also pay attention to range of motion in your hips and ankles especially. Then after playing stretch again, don’t wait until stiffness settles in. Look up stretches for quadratus lumborum (low back) and gluteus medius (hip) specifically, and you’ll be amazed how much they help. Also of course, drink tons of water to help with recovery.

Dang some is a Kinesiology major
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Agree. PVC pipe instead of a foam roller and lacrosse balls to target specific areas.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: