Outside the Lines: BSPN on Kobe

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puajibai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Outside the Lines: BSPN on Kobe

On Outside the Lines last night the topic was Kobe's re-emergence in the endorsement market. There was a debate between the editor of Dime Magazine (pro-Kobe) who assisted in Kobe's self-written article and some guy who works as an image consultant (Kobe-hater) for athletes etc. What I found so interesteing was how animated and desperate the anti-Kobe guy was in trying to refute the notion that Kobe was making an image comeback. Of course he tried to downplay the 81 and bring up Kobe being selfish and all that bs. The editor however calmly responded to all of the other guy's attacks by saying the haters don't know what Kobe is doing behind the scenes for charity and service. I think this sums up in a nutshell the state of mind of Kobe haters- its killing them that Kobe is getting the respect he deserves for being the greatest in the game. What y'all think?
indestrukt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:

The image consultant was hard to take seriously through all of his various histrionics. He insisted that Kobe "needs to do more" in reference to his charity work and kept laying the baseless claim that everything Kobe does is fake and calculated. That coupled with the fact that the guy shrieked throughout his entire interview made this a tough one to watch.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:

Wait, so Kobe needs to do more, but even if he does do more, it will be seen as fake and contrived? Nice logic!

I am glad I missed the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
indestrukt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:

You didn't miss a thing. He started out his bit by pointing out that Kobe used "I" 20+ times in the first page of his recent article in DIME magazine. Punctuated by the cliched "There's no I in TEAM, Kobe!" It was a sad little display from someone who obviously just wanted some face-time on TV.
puajibai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject:

Hater: Kobe needs to do more for other people not just score 81

Dime- you don't know what Kobe is doing...just after an appearance in Beverly Hills he went to pass out coats for the poor

Hater: Oh I do know what he is doing. Doing it for publicity does not count.

Yeah too bad it was the Dime editor who is publicizing Kobe's charitable acts not Kobe himself. Hmm doesn't Shaq have cameras in his mug when passing out gifts on Xmas?
KoolMo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

Very Interesting. The Kobe-Dime relationship seems to be a relly positive one. His point of what Kobe does behind the scenes is excellent. Kobe should keep it that way and let others speak on his contributions. That, to me, is genuine charity.
ncaugnit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

"Don't haaaate........it's like being mad at God for givin' talent a job"

-ncaugnit
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Outside the Lines: BSPN on Kobe

puajibai wrote:
On Outside the Lines last night the topic was Kobe's re-emergence in the endorsement market. There was a debate between the editor of Dime Magazine (pro-Kobe) who assisted in Kobe's self-written article and some guy who works as an image consultant (Kobe-hater) for athletes etc. ...... What y'all think?

Seeing how you have divided the world into Kobe haters and pro Kobe, I didn't need to read further. Memo to some Lakersground posters, saying something negative about Kobe isn't Kobe hating. Some call it the truth.
indestrukt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Counting how many times "I" appears in the first page of Kobe's DIME article and then shrieking about it hysterically at the outset of your interview isn't intelligent criticism nor is it "the truth". I don't like the term "hating", but it really was a bold display of blatant stupidity.
Marty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:

indestrukt wrote:
Counting how many times "I" appears in the first page of Kobe's DIME article and then shrieking about it hysterically at the outset of your interview isn't intelligent criticism nor is it "the truth". I don't like the term "hating", but it really was a bold display of blatant stupidity.

Yup, not to mention the fact that he was so close-minded and didn't accept any explanation from DIME Editor (who was very calm by the way). From the very start of the discussion, one could sense that there's a hidden agenda in that guy who claims to be "Image Consultant". I felt that there was a "restrained anger" in the way he speaks.

The good thing is, Lakers and Kobe fans know better. And at least for me, what that guy said on air is meaningless.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

This is the exact reason why the new KB8/Nike commercial is great... this is exactly what it speaks to! Keep fueling Kobe's fire hater,.. and us Laker Fan will sit back and enjoy it,.... while you eat crow!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

You see, right there. That's what wrong with Kobe. He uses the word I in a lot of different places.

He broke the CARDINAL RULE of being real: speaking of yourself in the third person, just like every person in the world does.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Image consultants "live in a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!"

They can eat me
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Outside the Lines: BSPN on Kobe

venturalakersfan wrote:
puajibai wrote:
On Outside the Lines last night the topic was Kobe's re-emergence in the endorsement market. There was a debate between the editor of Dime Magazine (pro-Kobe) who assisted in Kobe's self-written article and some guy who works as an image consultant (Kobe-hater) for athletes etc. ...... What y'all think?

Seeing how you have divided the world into Kobe haters and pro Kobe, I didn't need to read further. Memo to some Lakersground posters, saying something negative about Kobe isn't Kobe hating. Some call it the truth.

Perhaps if you had bothered to read it, you'd understand that that was the POINT OF THE DISCUSSION.

Sometimes, people ARE just spewing venom and hate.
rpadma12
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Often criticized for not reaching out to people in the African-American communities, Bryant said he's done his fair share to help those in need.

"A lot of people criticize me, but I've been helping people for 10 years," Bryant said. "But I never have helped others for publicity. I'm not a lights and camera guy. I do it to do it."

But the cameras were rolling last September when Bryant and several NBA players visited various shelters in Houston that housed Hurricane Katrina evacuees. Bryant bonded with one of the evacuees, 7-year old Rayshawn Bright, and has arranged for Rayshawn to be his guest at Sunday's All-Star Game in Houston.

LINK
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

Dude, it's BSPN.
cirehawk
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
You see, right there. That's what wrong with Kobe. He uses the word I in a lot of different places.

He broke the CARDINAL RULE of being real: speaking of yourself in the third person, just like every person in the world does.

lol That is pretty funny. But you know that if Kobe speaks in third person, they'll say he's a fake as well. Seems he can't speak in any "person" without being criticized. Maybe he should just not say anything. Wait! He's done that too and that say he's aloof and isn't a friendly guy.

Guess the guy just can't win. Oh well.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Outside the Lines: BSPN on Kobe

[quote="venturalakersfan]
Seeing how you have divided the world into Kobe haters and pro Kobe, I didn't need to read further. Memo to some Lakersground posters, saying something negative about Kobe isn't Kobe hating. Some call it the truth.[/quote]
That comment right there shows how ignorant you are.
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

indestrukt wrote:
You didn't miss a thing. He started out his bit by pointing out that Kobe used "I" 20+ times in the first page of his recent article in DIME magazine. Punctuated by the cliched "There's no I in TEAM, Kobe!" It was a sad little display from someone who obviously just wanted some face-time on TV.

The article was writen by Kobe about Kobe, how can he not use "I"?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: