Team Stats & Rankings (Through First 48 Games - 01/27/2018)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I can live with the first 3, especially for a young team that doesn’t have really any guys who can get their own shot outside of Clarkson but that wide open %
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait for the update
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject:

Updated as of 10/31... we're up to #9 in Defensive Efficiency. Went up a spot to #28 in offensive efficiency as well.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Updated as of 10/31... we're up to #9 in Defensive Efficiency. Went up a spot to #28 in offensive efficiency as well.

Thanks!
Sorry for harping on this fam, but as our pathetic 3 point shooting goes up, our offense should improve. Excited!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

Is it true the Lakers average the most paint points in the game?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Yup. (53.5%)

http://stats.nba.com/teams/scoring/?sort=PCT_PTS_PAINT&dir=-1
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
epak wrote:

Yup. (53.5%)

The Lakers are a terrible jumpshooting team.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

The two biggest issues right now are turnovers and 3 point shooting. I think the former should be easier to fix, and doing so will allow us to grind out some wins with our defense while our offense catches up.

As for shooting, our team gets a lot of good looks, so I'm hoping the 3P% picks up. Guys like Lopez, BI and KCP consistently get good, open looks but haven't been able to knock down those shots at an acceptable rate. BI still isn't there with his 3 point shot, but Lopez and KCP should get better as they settle into the offense. Kuzma, although unproven, should improve his percentages as well.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
The two biggest issues right now are turnovers and 3 point shooting. I think the former should be easier to fix, and doing so will allow us to grind out some wins with our defense while our offense catches up.

As for shooting, our team gets a lot of good looks, so I'm hoping the 3P% picks up. Guys like Lopez, BI and KCP consistently get good, open looks but haven't been able to knock down those shots at an acceptable rate. BI still isn't there with his 3 point shot, but Lopez and KCP should get better as they settle into the offense. Kuzma, although unproven, should improve his percentages as well.

Hopefully JC's 38% continues
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Interesting stuff. I agree cutting down turnovers and hitting better from 3 would change this team's fortunes a lot, based on the early stats.

Cutting down turnovers - I think that'll happen given how young and inexperienced our squad is and how little time they've played together.

3 point shooting. Who would have thought before the season started that Brook Lopez would only be our 7th best 3 point shooter, and simultaneously we'd be one spot from dead last in the NBA in 3 point accuracy? Only 7 games in so this will likely change.

We actually have 2 players shooting well from 3 at the moment:

Jordan Clarkson - 38.5% from 3, 48.2% overall. Good start JC.

Kyle Kuzma - 35.7% from 3, 53.3% overall. Not bad now that he's warming up.

We have a couple more players shooting just barely well enough from 3 to get a defenders' attention:

Brandon Ingram - 33.3% from 3, 43.8% overall, fair shooting so far I guess, but 'fair' is quite an improvement.

Josh Hart - 33.3% from 3, 58.8% overall. Small sample size, doesn't play much. Give this guy more floor time please.

Then we have 3 guys hurting us from outside right now, high volume and lots of misses. I think this will change:

KCP - 30.4% from 3, 38% overall. He's never been a great shooter but every season he's played he was better than this. He shot 35% from 3 just last year.

Lonzo Ball - 28.6% from 3, 33.3% overall - on lots of attempts. Ouch. He was killing it from outside at UCLA. No way this doesn't change for much, much better at some point.

Brook Lopez - 26.9% from 3, 38.2% overall. These stats from Brook Lopez? Are you kidding me? Everyone knows he's better than that.

Are these stats a result of a poorly designed offense? I see players getting wide open shots. Players' poor execution of Luke's offense? Maybe, but still they're doing something right if they get wide open shots. Or is it simply a cold start for these guys? We're only 7 games in.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Interesting stuff. I agree cutting down turnovers and hitting better from 3 would change this team's fortunes a lot, based on the early stats.

Cutting down turnovers - I think that'll happen given how young and inexperienced our squad is and how little time they've played together.

3 point shooting. Who would have thought before the season started that Brook Lopez would only be our 7th best 3 point shooter, and simultaneously we'd be one spot from dead last in the NBA in 3 point accuracy? Only 7 games in so this will likely change.

We have a couple more players shooting just barely well enough from 3 to get a defenders' attention:

Brandon Ingram - 33.3% from 3, 43.8% overall, fair shooting so far I guess, but 'fair' is quite an improvement.

Josh Hart - 33.3% from 3, 58.8% overall. Small sample size, doesn't play much. Give this guy more floor time please.

Then we have 3 guys hurting us from outside right now, high volume and lots of misses. I think this will change:

KCP - 30.4% from 3, 38% overall. He's never been a great shooter but every season he's played he was better than this. He shot 35% from 3 just last year.

Lonzo Ball - 28.6% from 3, 33.3% overall - on lots of attempts. Ouch. He was killing it from outside at UCLA. No way this doesn't change for much, much better at some point.

Brook Lopez - 26.9% from 3, 38.2% overall. These stats from Brook Lopez? Are you kidding me? Everyone knows he's better than that.

Are these stats a result of a poorly designed offense? I see players getting wide open shots. Players' poor execution of Luke's offense? Maybe, but still they're doing something right if they get wide open shots. Or is it simply a cold start for these guys? We're only 7 games in.

Lonzo is 4/9 (44%) in the last two games so hopefully that trend continues.

If you take out that 3 game stretch (NOP, WAS, TOR) were he went 1-14 it not bad. In the other 4 games he shot 10/25, 40% from deep. Hopefully he can build on the last two games and keep his confidence up.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

If you take out that 3 game stretch (NOP, WAS, TOR) were he went 1-14 it not bad. In the other 4 games he shot 10/25, 40% from deep. Hopefully he can build on the last two games and keep his confidence up.

If you take out the games that he shot poorly, he shot well? OK?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

If you forget about all the bad Lakers performances they've actually looked good
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
epak wrote:

Yup. (53.5%)

I wonder how many of those came from transition? Kinda balance our struggles beyond the arc.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

If you take out the games that he shot poorly, he shot well? OK?

Haha no kidding. He might as well have said....”in the games he shot well, he shot well.”
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

We just have a lot of new players. We going to get better in a month or 2 when players starting to get to know each other better and Lonzo become more comfortable with his 3 ball. We need a pure shooter though on this team.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:

We just have a lot of new players. We going to get better in a month or 2 when players starting to get to know each other better and Lonzo become more comfortable with his 3 ball. We need a pure shooter though on this team.

Yeah that's what I think. We have a handful of players off their game out of the gates but they'll adjust. Same goes for cutting down on turnovers. I'm actually getting a little more optimistic seeing a couple of decent defensive games and hoping it's more of a habit and less an anomaly.

Still, if we could find a pure shooter who doesn't go cold the moment he dons a Laker jersey I'd be pretty happy about it.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

I was onboard with starting Nance and he’s playing well. However, multiple times every game I see him either catch the ball in the post, or on the perimeter for an open jumper, but he’s clearly not comfortable in both situations and it usually results in no points, hurting our team averages.

I can’t help but think how well Kuzma would do in those exact same positions more often than not resulting in scores with a better shooting percentage for the team. On defense Nance seems to be doing well, however Kuzma is no slouch. Kuzma is a better ball handler and passer than Larry as well. He moves great without the ball, which is something Lonzo would take advantage of.

I think it’s time to start Kuzma. He’d be a rookie of the year contender if he did and I believe we’d win more games. Nance will work well with the second unit.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Did a Larry and Julius front court do well last year? I thought they didn't.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Yeah, it was really bad. Maybe you could argue it might work now that Julius has improved his defense a lot?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
epak wrote:

Yeah, it was really bad. Maybe you could argue it might work now that Julius has improved his defense a lot?

I don't think so because of the other side of the Court. They just don't work offensively. Its unfortunate for Nance that he tends to get outmuscled at the C spot, or else he could get minutes there next to Kuzma. Randle can play both the C and PF spot, so long as you have a shooter next to him in the front court (be that Kuzma or Lopez). Until one (or both) of Nance and Randle show they can consistently hit a 3, they just can't play with each other.

It's ironic that Randle finally has a teammate in Lopez who can compliment him enough on offense to let him play the PF spot, yet he's not getting that chance. At least he has Kuzma. But for Kuzma, I'm not sure if Randle would have received any minutes this year.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:

I don't think so because of the other side of the Court. They just don't work offensively. Its unfortunate for Nance that he tends to get outmuscled at the C spot, or else he could get minutes there next to Kuzma. Randle can play both the C and PF spot, so long as you have a shooter next to him in the front court (be that Kuzma or Lopez). Until one (or both) of Nance and Randle show they can consistently hit a 3, they just can't play with each other.

It's ironic that Randle finally has a teammate in Lopez who can compliment him enough on offense to let him play the PF spot, yet he's not getting that chance. At least he has Kuzma. But for Kuzma, I'm not sure if Randle would have received any minutes this year.

Yeah that's a good point. I'm so focused on whether they work defensively that I forget this year, offense seems to be our problem
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:

Yeah I don't think Randle and Nance front court is ideal offensively considering they are not a legit outside threat yet so most likely they will clog the lanes and spacing will be terrible . I think Luke front court combos compliment each other but I rather have Jules and Kuz starting to set the tone and finishing to close out games and should be playing more minutes. Lopez is more of a rental, I think Jules should given more opportunity as he can be a part of our long term plan.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Nate Duncan @NateDuncanNBA 29m
Golden State already has 263 points in transition this year per @SynergySST. That's 84 more than the next-best Lakers.

Good stuff so far lakers
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject:

To put the stats of the first 7 games into perspective:

out of the first 7 games Lakers have played JUST ONE game against a team with a losing record (as of today). That would be Pelicans who are 3 and 5.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15
Jump to: