Team Stats & Rankings (Through First 48 Games - 01/27/2018)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Team Stats & Rankings (Through First 48 Games - 01/27/2018)

Source ESPN Hollinger Stats. LINK

Pace: #1 (103.2)
Assist Rate: #T19 (16.9)
Turnover Rate: #T21 (13.9)
Assist to Turnover Ratio: #25 (1.34)
Offensive Rebounding Rate: #7 (24.0)
Defensive Rebounding Rate: #15 (77.4)
Rebound Rate: #11 (50.5)
Free Throw Percentage: #30 (68.6%)
Three Point Percentage: #30 (32.7%)
Effective Field Goal Percentage: #T23 (50.7%)
True Shooting Percentage: #28 (53.5%)
Offensive Efficiency: #28 (101.9)
Defensive Efficiency: #11 (104.7)

Glossary

PACE: Pace Factor - the number of possessions a team uses per game.
AST: Assist Ratio - the percentage of a team's possessions that ends in an assist. Assist Ratio = (Assists x 100) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44) + Assists + Turnovers]
TO: Turnover Ratio - the percentage of a team's possessions that end in a turnover. Turnover Ratio = (Turnover x 100) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44) + Assists + Turnovers]
ORR: Offensive rebound rate
DRR: Defensive rebound rate
REBR: Rebound Rate - the percentage of missed shots that a team rebounds. Rebound Rate = (Rebounds x Team Minutes) divided by [Player Minutes x (Team Rebounds + Opponent Rebounds)]
EFF FG%: Effective Field Goal Percentage
TS%: True Shooting Percentage - what a team's shooting percentage would be if we accounted for free throws and 3-pointers. True Shooting Percentage = (Total points x 50) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44)]
OFF EFF: Offensive Efficiency - the number of points a team scores per 100 possessions.
DEF EFF: Defensive Efficiency - the number of points a team allows per 100 possessions.

Last edited by 32 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:22 am; edited 2 times in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

Passes made per game: #22 (281.2)
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

two of those rates directly associated with zo: #1 in pace, and #7 in defensive boards. not bad for a 19 year old
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

It's too early, but the fact that we're 9th ranked in defense is pretty incredible, especially given how we're 29th in offense. If we finish in the top 15 in defense, that's be amazing (I'm not putting money on that ).
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

Thanks for posting

Way too early to draw any sensible conclusions though. I say give it at least 10 games, maybe as many as 20.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

It's interesting we're #20 in TS% but #29 in both turnovers and ORTG. A pretty good sign that turnovers are killing us.

And yeah, it's obviously way too early to do this. Last season would have had some unrealistically good numbers.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

We were one of the fastest teams in the league in terms of pace last year, so that isn't necessarily about Ball's addition, although I'm sure he is responsible for us moving up some spots to some degree. I think our poor offensive rebounding rate is a by product on the emphasis on transition defense. Looks like our D is vastly improved. Our offense has dipped compared to last season, greatly because of our poor 3pt shooting. However. It also makes sense we would struggle a little more early on given the addition of all these new pieces, which include two rookies playing a prominent role. We are leading the league in turnovers - all the new pieces and inexperience have to have something to do with that.

I was passed off after our first loss to the clippers, but can't day i am disappointed with where we are at right now. I want us to keep the D up, give Randle 28+ minutes per game, and hopefully get better three point shooting from just about everyone, especially Ball and Ingram. Really need to cut down on unforced TOs too... that will make a huge difference in both our offensive rank and defensive rank.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

High turn overs should be expected. We have 5 new starters and only two were on the team last season. Also, the guy running the offense (Lonzo) is a rookie.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
We were one of the fastest teams in the league in terms of pace last year, so that isn't necessarily about Ball's addition, although I'm sure he is responsible for us moving up some spots to some degree. I think our poor offensive rebounding rate is a by product on the emphasis on transition defense. Looks like our D is vastly improved. Our offense has dipped compared to last season, greatly because of our poor 3pt shooting. However. It also makes sense we would struggle a little more early on given the addition of all these new pieces, which include two rookies playing a prominent role. We are leading the league in turnovers - all the new pieces and inexperience have to have something to do with that.

I was passed off after our first loss to the clippers, but can't day i am disappointed with where we are at right now. I want us to keep the D up, give Randle 28+ minutes per game, and hopefully get better three point shooting from just about everyone, especially Ball and Ingram. Really need to cut down on unforced TOs too... that will make a huge difference in both our offensive rank and defensive rank.

If we shore up the things you pointed out, we're fighting for a playoff spot. Things are looking up big time for us.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

ROY... #2
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Something I noticed from just looking at the Laker stats from the naked eye is we have 8 guys averaging 10+ points right now. That's impressive.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Our offense makes me angry and I think this is the worst three point shooting team I've ever seen. The defense is impressive, especially when you consider how inefficient our offense and offensive rebounding have been.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
It's too early, but the fact that we're 9th ranked in defense is pretty incredible, especially given how we're 29th in offense. If we finish in the top 15 in defense, that's be amazing (I'm not putting money on that ).

--Anonymous
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

If we can clean up the turnovers and knock down our open shots, we're going to be fine on offense. We still have a very young team and a lot of roster turnover. Hope they maintain the defensive effort, though. Loving what I'm seeing on that end of the floor.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Interesting stat - Houston leads the league in 3pt attempts at around 45 per game (we are 26th at 24 per game), yet is 26th in 3pt% (at 30.3%). Despite that fact, Houston is currently sitting at the 10th best offense in the league. I think we need to take more 3pt shots - it will make our offense better and, hopefully, develop our guys into better 3pt shooters.

If we can increase our team-wide 3pt% to around 31-32% (say top 25 in the league) and decrease out TOs by 2-3 per game, our offense will jump.

I'd really like to see where we rank Re: points off turnovers. Seems like that is killing us every game.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Interesting stat - Houston leads the league in 3pt attempts at around 45 per game (we are 26th at 24 per game), yet is 26th in 3pt% (at 30.3%). Despite that fact, Houston is currently sitting at the 10th best offense in the league. I think we need to take more 3pt shots - it will make our offense better and, hopefully, develop our guys into better 3pt shooters.

If we can increase our team-wide 3pt% to around 31-32% (say top 25 in the league) and decrease out TOs by 2-3 per game, our offense will jump.

I'd really like to see where we rank Re: points off turnovers. Seems like that is killing us every game.

Volume, volume, volume.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Link to NBA stats that show that the Lakers are currently shooting 28.7% from the 3-pt line and are ranked 29 of 30.

Shooting more threes does make some sense from a long-term point of view but not necessarily from a short-term point of view. The Lakers are shooting 3's so poorly right now that it is probably costing them games (a miss, a long rebound and an easy score for the opposition--a five point turnaround). Shooting more 3's will end up costing them more games. On the other hand, we don't really expect the Lakers to make the playoffs this year. So, if shooting more 3's makes them a better team next year, I can live with that--but it is going to be more painful this year than it needs to be.

--Anonymous
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject:

^Remember that if you shoot 4 for 10 from 3, that's the same as shooting 6 for 10 from 2. Now, of course, you're less likely to get to the line shooting 3s, so that has to be taken into account as well. At the same time though, that calculation is not linear because you also have to assume that if you can spread the floor better, your team will get higher % 2pt looks as well. Its not just about the 3pt% you shoot, but also whether you can create gravity/spacing. From everything I've read and discussed with knowledgeable folks on here, gravity/spacing is less of a byproduct of good 3pt shooting and more of a byproduct of simply taking a lot of 3pt shots.

In any case, it doesn't take much in the way of a higher % before shooting more 3s starts to make sense. However, yes, because we're actually a very good 2pt shooting team, we'd need to get up to the 33%+ range before it will pay real dividends.

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

Updated as of yesterday's game. Taking into account that we heavily rely on transition scoring, we have the worst half court offense in the league.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Updated as of yesterday's game. Taking into account that we heavily rely on transition scoring, we have the worst half court offense in the league.

Ding.

And no shooters to truly compensate.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Ding.

This is going to be the story of the season. There's going to be a lot of complaints about the usual, but the lack of 3 point shooting is the problem. It's going to make it impossible for us to consistently run offense and score.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Ding.

This is going to be the story of the season. There's going to be a lot of complaints about the usual, but the lack of 3 point shooting is the problem. It's going to make it impossible for us to consistently run offense and score.

I'm mostly paying attention to:
Pace
Team assist/assist%
Total passes
Opp FG%

That's pretty much it.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
lack of 3 point shooting is the problem
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

LS, Thanks for updating thread title and adding game 6!
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Ding.

I'm mostly paying attention to:
Pace
Team assist/assist%
Total passes
Opp FG%

That's pretty much it.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15
Jump to: