Is Luke an NBA caliber coach?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Luke an NBA caliber coach?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 105 ]
No
49%
 49%  [ 102 ]
Total Votes : 207

socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Is Luke an NBA caliber coach?

Starting lineup is terrible. He shows no flexibility to coach to the teams strengths. No adjustments game to game. I don’t think the players respect him. they will start to tune him out by ASB.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject:

But he is very new. He probably could have benefited from being an Assistant Coach a bit longer.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

He's a better coach when you are ready to win, in that sense he's not the right coach for this team, someone like Mark Jackson would be better with this group.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject:

I remember when we hired Luke, GT made a bunch of videos on how the Warriors played and superimposed them onto our squad at the time. Everything look fresh and exciting. There was movement, weak side movement, and deception plays. Curry in a PNR with a big and while the defense is sleeping on the two man game, Klay streaks to the basket for an easy lay up. I don't see anything fresh, unique, or energetic with Luke. Summer League I saw a lot of hope in the transition game. Summer League two seasons ago, against Philly I saw DLO dissect their defense. And their was that double screen play giving DLO the final game winner. When I see Luke, I'm confused by his plays and I'm confused by his line ups. I feel bad for our young guys. They all have grit and they all have heart. I don't think they're always put in the best position to win. We should give him to the end of the season and maybe Spol will walk away from Miami and try something new. Maybe we can convince Nash to become a coach.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

We played better under Jud Buechler.
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
He's a better coach when you are ready to win, in that sense he's not the right coach for this team, someone like Mark Jackson would be better with this group.

Agree with this, he's not a developmental type coach. I hate to bring the Nets into the topic (cuz it always brings it back to you know you lol), but someone like Kenny Atkinson would be better with this team.

Luke's a coach better fit for a team with players who are already established in this league, and looking to make noise in the playoffs.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject:

My opinion on Luke's coaching? He has a really deep voice.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Its unfortunate because Luke is the one coach we at one point all got behind. He has to be doing something wrong for so many to see problems.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject:

I still think he will be a good coach but just inexperience so he will continue to make mistakes and gain wisdom of he can learn from it. I don't think he's ready when he took the gig. He has a system in place but he should be tweaking it accordingly and let our best players play to their strengths.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject:

I posted this in another forum regarding this topic.

"To me, the selling point of the GSW doing well under his interim stint was never a solid one to make a case for him. During my very first internship, my manager told me something that stuck with me. A good manager will make sure that the company runs efficiently without them being there. I found that in every walk of life that holds true. The system was already in place when Luke tallied up those wins. Let's be honest, does anyone feel GSW will skip a beat without a Kerr again this season? Look at Alvin Gentry and the suns. He's a terrible, terrible coach but the Suns never missed a beat after D'antoni left. There's a reason for that. D'antoni left a system in place and a roster of the core players remained. Anyone feel the Spurs won't win 60+ games if Pop wasn't on the bench every game? I don't, they're going to continue to win games.

Where I did hang my hat on was his supposed basketball IQ and his ability to communicate and relate to the players. The more I think about it, the more I doubt his BBIQ. I know Phil used to laude him for it but he was guilty of doing some of the stupidest (bleep) I've seen on a court. He used to continually set up shot at the pinch post where Kobe should be and call for the ball. Continually....That's not very high BBIQ. "

We're only a year and some change in but I'll be frank, it doesn't look good.

Btw? Are we still "implementing our offense" a year+ into this foray? I have a really cool list of coaches that transformed their teams instantly. Just saying...
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

"To me, the selling point of the GSW doing well under his interim stint was never a solid one to make a case for him. During my very first internship, my manager told me something that stuck with me. A good manager will make sure that the company runs efficiently without them being there. I found that in every walk of life that holds true. The system was already in place when Luke tallied up those wins. Let's be honest, does anyone feel GSW will skip a beat without a Kerr again this season? Look at Alvin Gentry and the suns. He's a terrible, terrible coach but the Suns never missed a beat after D'antoni left. There's a reason for that. D'antoni left a system in place and a roster of the core players remained. Anyone feel the Spurs won't win 60+ games if Pop wasn't on the bench every game? I don't, they're going to continue to win games.

Where I did hang my hat on was his supposed basketball IQ and his ability to communicate and relate to the players. The more I think about it, the more I doubt his BBIQ. I know Phil used to laude him for it but he was guilty of doing some of the stupidest (bleep) I've seen on a court. He used to continually set up shot at the pinch post where Kobe should be and call for the ball. Continually....That's not very high BBIQ. "

Btw? Are we still "implementing our offense" a year+ into this foray? I have a really cool list of coaches that transformed their teams instantly. Just saying...

I think Luke has a really big ego, leading to high confidence in himself. That, plus being the son of an NBA all-time great, might make it appear to some as if he has a high BBIQ. But when push came to shove, I don't think Luke really had to work for anything in his life. This coaching job is his first real test, and I don't think he's quite ready for the demands of the position.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
We played better under Jud Buechler.

I give exactly zero credence to summer league as an assessment.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Its unfortunate because Luke is the one coach we at one point all got behind. He has to be doing something wrong for so many to see problems.

Agreed.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject:

Luke 10:16 wrote:

“The one who hears you hears me, and the one who rejects you rejects me, and the one who rejects me rejects him who sent me.”

purple8goldvanessa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: lol lol

typical LG.
Go back to old posts and you can't find a thing wrong with Luke Walton when he first came on board. Now he's not an NBA caliber coach per the survey. Lol!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject:

I think he's a convenient scapegoat. I'm not saying he's blameless either, but the roster is fundamentally ill-constructed. You can thank the man in charge who got rid of all of our shooters because "we had too many guys with the same skillset."
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
I think he's a convenient scapegoat. I'm not saying he's blameless either, but the roster is fundamentally ill-constructed. You can thank the man in charge who got rid of all of our shooters because "we had too many guys with the same skillset."

I agree to an extent brother. To be fair, the categorization of NIck and Lou as both 1 dimensional gunners is absolutely true. The problem is the fact that we are banking on both BI and Lonzo to replicate their college 3%.

That's the crux of the issue. What is going on in the gym? Why are our shooters getting monumentally worse from college to now?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject:

I loved Luke as a choice, so if it turns out to be a mistake, I'll own up to wanting him badly.

I do think watching what Mike Brown did last year in the playoffs kind of killed Luke's credibility with the Warriors as a head coach. We all can agree Mike ain't a very good head coach and he got the Warriors to win easily in the playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

No. He's not. That's why he needs to bring in more qualified assistants that understand the game at a greater level than him.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject:

Deng and now Lopez has degraded significantly, I'm not confident he can fully utilize his rosters strengths.

Heck Atkinson in New Jersey seems to unlock his team's capabilities.

J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject:

He's an NBA caliber coach, but he's got a lot to learn still.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
He's an NBA caliber coach, but he's got a lot to learn still.

Agreed. When your rookies play like rookies and the veterans play
old, no one is a good coach. Of course, those mass player in and
outs have got to go but he'll get there...
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Hate to say it cause I was high on the hire for the same reasons you were, but I see no lies here.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

Bottomline is that the roster is trash. Unless you have Greg Popovich, no coach is going to win with this roster.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
supermegamen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Bottomline is that the roster is trash. Unless you have Greg Popovich, no coach is going to win with this roster.

Makes no sense going to extremes with everything here. The roster isn't trash, it's young first of all. That means they're doing a ton of mistakes right now which end up costing us games (turnovers in one game, not getting rebounds in another). I see a lot of positives and improvements from last season, but we can't seem to get over the hump when it matters right now. That's on youth first and foremost and not necessarily on the coach.

Of course Luke's sub patterns don't help the case right now, but he's trying to find good combinations to win games now while also looking at the big pictures. That's hard to balance, but I refuse to blame everything on him.

For whichever the reason the FO didn't get us any shooters this offseason but instead chose to sign a guy in KCP who's basically a younger Corey Brewer. We would have needed a CJ Miles / JJ Reddick type to really help this team with spacing and all. Right now we can't buy a jumpshot.

Other than that: Great job on coming along on defense! That's on Luke and the staff as well. Also love the way we're going for that strong second unit that almost always seems to outplay the other side. If we can just minimize on the mistakes, we'll have a chance to win any game on any given night.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: