Is Luke an NBA caliber coach?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Luke an NBA caliber coach?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 105 ]
No
49%
 49%  [ 102 ]
Total Votes : 207

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Kyle Kuzma was 4-4 FG 1st quarter in his last game he started, but got benched anyway.

Luke doesn't ride hot hands either. Not really. He works on a preset schedule like Byron Scott. No game flow.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Kyle Kuzma was 4-4 FG 1st quarter in his last game he started, but got benched anyway.

Luke doesn't ride hot hands either. Not really. He works on a preset schedule like Byron Scott. No game flow.

I thought the last game felt different. Usually he does ride hot hands. Guys with a good +/- will play a ton of minutes even when they seem horrible individually. But seeing Luke's facial expressions and then when they kept panning to Kuzma and Clarkson, something felt really off.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Megaton wrote:

I thought the last game felt different. Usually he does ride hot hands. Guys with a good +/- will play a ton of minutes even when they seem horrible individually. But seeing Luke's facial expressions and then when they kept panning to Kuzma and Clarkson, something felt really off.

They aren't his favorites, just like Randle isn't.

To be completely honest if we wanted to go by "best fit" next to Lonzo offensively, right now given our team dynamic as a guard, probably Clarkson. Because of his shooting improvement this season, his scoring ability and his passing that could get Lonzo a lot of off ball looks.

His tunnel vision is just a problem when it comes to finding those openings and cuts as efficiently. But he's a better passer than Kuzma but not as good a defender.

I really think the best lineup we could run is

Lonzo Ball
Brandon Ingram
Kyle Kuzma
Julius Randle
Brook Lopez

Offensively and defensively that lineup has enough people that can score off a broken play but also enough offensive talent that Lonzo could wait in the reeds to attack offensively like he usually does.

Then our bench becomes

Jordan Clarkson
Josh Hart
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Larry Nance Jr.

Those 4 are our benxh unit. Defense, and floor spacing. You could also play Bogut/Zubac/Bryant with them depending on the matchups. But Luke is likely never going to do it.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

hehe, LG on all cylinders; make a list? hehe!

Luke is a young above average coach without gun powder. That's it. Having the tough job of trying to make a player of the most under developed child prospect I have seen & I'm 59 years old. Why don't you go to OKC forum and ask the same question about BDonovan? Right now they are loosing (again) to Orlando by 22 in the 4th witn 7 left! Having 3 stars, a top 10 center and a defensive wiz. Some ammunitions in there, right? More or less the same, you salivate for our Lakers this off season.

Kuz under played??!! Already 4 games over 37 minutes and 10 over 33 mins in his 1st 20 games being a rookie. When Larry went down with the finger injury, Many here, even suggest that Deng was going to start, but Luke has the balls to start the Kuz. Do you remember the Phil didn't played Bynum a single minute until after the 20 game mark? OF the 3 rookies most played in this 1/4 of the season, Simmons 1st, Bonzo 2nd & Kuz 3rd.

X & 0?? At least Bonzo can initiated Horns...
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

BTW, as everyone is giving lineups, here is mine

BLopez
JRandle
BIngram
KCP
JClarkson

Bench

Nance
Kuzma
Brewer
Hart
Bonzo
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Bonzo Lall.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:

Luke is a young above average coach

based on what?
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

That NO vote growing.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakerican wrote:

Luke is a young above average coach

based on what?

Just look around the league & the list that include the coach yanked 3 or 4 days ago
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
BTW, as everyone is giving lineups, here is mine

BLopez
JRandle
BIngram
KCP
JClarkson

Bench

Nance
Kuzma
Brewer
Hart
Bonzo

If everyone's giving lineups:

Ball JC KCP Kuz Nance

Hart Brewer BI Randle Lopez
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
He seems run deep 10 man roations and divide the minutes among the players to give them rest. He rarley rides the hot hand instead favors pulling guys the second he thinks they need a break.

It's widely debated whether "the hot hand" idea is even true.

I don't have any problem with a standard 10-man rotation.

Personally, I think the approach he had before Nance came back was correct. Start Ball, Ingram, Kuz, Pope and Lopez. Sub in Randle, Clarkson and Hart. That team won't win but the young players will get development time.

Luke has let units play extended time if they are defending well
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject:

G League at best
PGinLA
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject:

He is, as an assistant. That still counts as an nba coach right?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:

He's more of a head coach than an assistant. Assistants are usually the nerds.
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:

This about what I have always figured. About 50% of the people who post here have very low intelligence when it comes to basketball(probably everything else for that matter).

Someone actually said Mark Jackson would be better. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Wow. I used to think Suns fans were some of the dumbest fans...I am rethinking that.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
This about what I have always figured. About 50% of the people who post here have very low intelligence when it comes to basketball(probably everything else for that matter).

Someone actually said Mark Jackson would be better. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Wow. I used to think Suns fans were some of the dumbest fans...I am rethinking that.

lol I've seen people on FB clamor for Byron Scott
I promptly bought some cyanide. You know, just in case.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Now that I've seen it again. Lonzo's dad is right. Luke screwed up badly by calling that time out at the end of the game.

Lonzo had an uncontested layup for the win.

Luke, like his players, is learning on the fly.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Now that I've seen it again. Lonzo's dad is right. Luke screwed up badly by calling that time out at the end of the game.

He called a TO to run an iso for BI at the top against a set GSW defense Pretty much every team knows what the Lakers will run end of games at this point. Iso for BI at the top of the key with BI going to his right.

That semibreak was going to be their best look.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Stats from LFR's twitter:

Ball - KCP - Ingram - Larry - Lopez

Offensive Rating: 94.4.
Defensive Rating: 102.7
Net Rating: -8.2

Ball - KCP - Ingram - Kuzma - Lopez

Offensive Rating: 99.6
Defensive Rating: 101.9
Net Rating: -2.4

Defensive rating is more or less equal due to margin of error because of the small sample size. But there's obviously a huge difference offensively.

We're not that bad with Kuz at the starting lineup defensively. But I think that coaches really need to encourage him to go for double digit rebounds every night instead of looking to leak out every chance he gets. We know he's capable of it. He's had 5 double doubles so far this season with 13 boards being his season high.

And of course, there's no debate offensively. Nance can give us a few extra possessions defensively but they don't mean much if we can't convert on the other end. Nance would be a nice fit if we had 3 reliable scorers on that starting lineup but we don't.

I'd love to see Julius at the 4 or 5 in the starting lineup but I think the reason it hasn't happened yet is because we're still all-in on the 2 max plan and he's likely to be gone if we continue in that direction.

So for now I think our best starting lineup "realistically" is still with Kuz at the 4 with Lopez playing Zaza Pachulia minutes and Randle off the bench early in at the start of the 1st and 3rd quarters.

EDIT: Btw Ball - KCP - Ingram - Kuzma - Randle lineup

Offensive Rating: 110.1
Defensive Rating: 81.7
Net Rating: +28.4

A whopping +28.4 on that lineup which has played 52 minutes together this season. But as I said, realistically, Luke won't be benching Lopez anytime soon.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
troy wrote:

He called a TO to run an iso for BI at the top against a set GSW defense Pretty much every team knows what the Lakers will run end of games at this point. Iso for BI at the top of the key with BI going to his right.

That semibreak was going to be their best look.

And if we turned it over while GS gets one last possession to put us away in regulation, the servers here would crash. He saved his last timeout after KD hit that three so he could use it at the end, it's just one of those plays that could go either way.

I get the frustration, but why don't we have the same patience with Luke that we do with our players? Is he really done learning what it takes to be a head coach in this league? He's shown willingness to adapt to his players when they are doing the right things (cliche, I know) while committing a few blunders at the same time. Do we really want to take a try at our 5th coach in as many years? How would that be for our "development" if we can't even find stability in our coaching.

I know its been 4 long years, but our true rebuild really started last February when Magic and co took over. Judging from where we were then to now, I'd say we are on a pretty good trajectory.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:

And of course, there's no debate offensively. Nance can give us a few extra possessions defensively but they don't mean much if we can't convert on the other end. Nance would be a nice fit if we had 3 reliable scorers on that starting lineup but we don't.

Exactly, I would love to see Kuz start at the 4 the rest of the year while giving Randle a shot at the starting 5, but if there are non-basketball reasons that are preventing that than this point is pretty moot.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

The lakers lost a few games they should’ve won due to luke’s Substitutions/decisions mainly Randle being overmatched at center, also not getting the ball out of Lou wiliams hands....so were a 500 team playing below 500. Luke is clearly still learning on the job. So to me, he became a head coach 2-3 seasons too soon.

NBA caliber? I suppose, not first rate or even average I’d say. still green.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

What were Lakers fans expecting coming into this season? We just lost a close game to GS in overtime and people are mad.

Don't agree with what Luke is doing with Kuz. But overall, I'm pleased.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
Stats from LFR's twitter:

Ball - KCP - Ingram - Larry - Lopez

Offensive Rating: 94.4.
Defensive Rating: 102.7
Net Rating: -8.2

Ball - KCP - Ingram - Kuzma - Lopez

Offensive Rating: 99.6
Defensive Rating: 101.9
Net Rating: -2.4

Defensive rating is more or less equal due to margin of error because of the small sample size. But there's obviously a huge difference offensively.

We're not that bad with Kuz at the starting lineup defensively. But I think that coaches really need to encourage him to go for double digit rebounds every night instead of looking to leak out every chance he gets. We know he's capable of it. He's had 5 double doubles so far this season with 13 boards being his season high.

I'd love to see Julius at the 4 or 5 in the starting lineup but I think the reason it hasn't happened yet is because we're still all-in on the 2 max plan and he's likely to be gone if we continue in that direction.

So for now I think our best starting lineup "realistically" is still with Kuz at the 4 with Lopez playing Zaza Pachulia minutes and Randle off the bench early in at the start of the 1st and 3rd quarters.

EDIT: Btw Ball - KCP - Ingram - Kuzma - Randle lineup

Offensive Rating: 110.1
Defensive Rating: 81.7
Net Rating: +28.4

A whopping +28.4 on that lineup which has played 52 minutes together this season. But as I said, realistically, Luke won't be benching Lopez anytime soon.

Maybe we could offer Nance and Lopez to Cleveland for Thompson and their Nets pick better deal/fit for Cleveland than Deandre ^_^

That's literally the only way we're ever going to get Luke to run the

Ball - KCP - Ingram - Kuzma - Randle lineup to start games.
sAM sHILE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
there's no doubt Luke's coaching stock has taken a hit.

It was inevitable that he'd start sliding after leaving Kerr's influence and surrounding himself with Brian Shaw instead.

And after leaving a title team for a lottery team

Luke needs a no brainer team with a ready made system to coach god forbid he actually needs to put the work in coaching himself.

No he doesn’t, he needs a team with some semblance of balance that doesn’t have one leg in the lottery. It is difficult to judge a coach when the team isn’t interested in winning. We tried to lose last season, that isn’t on the coach. We went from dead last defensively to top 10 in a season, that is a positive for the coaching staff. Let’s get a decent team before judging if Luke can coach or not.

There's no pleasing this bunch around here. They've screamed for years they wanted a team who competed in D, Luke does that in his second year and they all of a sudden scream "but our offense". Certain posters care more about shooting threes than they do about hustle and effort on defense or making extra passes that lead to better shots. The guy has a tough job and didn't play Dlo 35 MPG last year so he's already on some people's bad side. Others like MJST had their feelings hurt by Luke the moment he benched Randle. Fact is, we won't really know how good of a coach Luke is until he has a roster that is balanced more than 1-2 guys who can create their own shot or more than 1-2 guys who can actually shoot 38% from deep. Hell, we'd be doing much better if we had 3-4 guys who could shoot 35% from deep.

"Luke does that in his second year"
Any expectation beyond that, with this group, is extreme.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: