Is Luke an NBA caliber coach?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Luke an NBA caliber coach?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 105 ]
No
49%
 49%  [ 102 ]
Total Votes : 207

socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject:

sAM sHILE wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
there's no doubt Luke's coaching stock has taken a hit.

It was inevitable that he'd start sliding after leaving Kerr's influence and surrounding himself with Brian Shaw instead.

And after leaving a title team for a lottery team

Luke needs a no brainer team with a ready made system to coach god forbid he actually needs to put the work in coaching himself.

No he doesn’t, he needs a team with some semblance of balance that doesn’t have one leg in the lottery. It is difficult to judge a coach when the team isn’t interested in winning. We tried to lose last season, that isn’t on the coach. We went from dead last defensively to top 10 in a season, that is a positive for the coaching staff. Let’s get a decent team before judging if Luke can coach or not.

There's no pleasing this bunch around here. They've screamed for years they wanted a team who competed in D, Luke does that in his second year and they all of a sudden scream "but our offense". Certain posters care more about shooting threes than they do about hustle and effort on defense or making extra passes that lead to better shots. The guy has a tough job and didn't play Dlo 35 MPG last year so he's already on some people's bad side. Others like MJST had their feelings hurt by Luke the moment he benched Randle. Fact is, we won't really know how good of a coach Luke is until he has a roster that is balanced more than 1-2 guys who can create their own shot or more than 1-2 guys who can actually shoot 38% from deep. Hell, we'd be doing much better if we had 3-4 guys who could shoot 35% from deep.

"Luke does that in his second year"
Any expectation beyond that, with this group, is extreme.

You guys just ignore all the obvious bad coaching decisions he’s made that the even average fan and analysts can see. You cant just pull the 2nd year card all the time. Hes a coach now not a player. Im not sure players have the patience to play for a coach learning on the job who makes questionable choices. If they dont see results and the coaching staff standing in the way, they will tune out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

What I care less about is what the average fan thinks since the average fan has little idea about coaching in the NBA.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
What I care less about is what the average fan thinks since the average fan has little idea about coaching in the NBA.

That's fine. But like I said some analysts share the same criticism. What is more important though is what the players think. I expect them to tune out and turn on him when things go sour.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm pretty sure 99% percent of fans have little idea about NBA coaching but it doesn't mean they don't understand the simple game of basketball.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
What is more important though is what the players think. I expect them to tune out and turn on him when things go sour.

I am not sure if that's going to happen on a team made up of (1) rent-a-vets looking for a job next year and (2) young guys looking to launch an NBA career. If you tune out the coach, you'll find yourself on the bench, and that won't help the fortunes of either group. And there isn't a guy on this team who is so much better than the guy behind him that he can't be benched.

When teams turn on a coach it's usually because the coach falls out of favor with a star or veteran leader, and we really don't have anyone like that on this team.

Last edited by activeverb on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
What is more important though is what the players think. I expect them to tune out and turn on him when things go sour.

I am not sure if that's going to happen on a team made up of (1) rent-a-vets looking for a job next year and (2) young guys looking to launch an NBA career. If you tune out the coach, you'll find yourself on the bench, and that won't help the fortunes of either group.

When teams turn on a coach it's usually because the coach falls out of favor with a star or veteran leader, and we really don't have anyone like that on this team.

Clarkson and Randle would be more likely if it happens. At that point they may need to be traded to keep the locker room.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

I am not sure if that's going to happen on a team made up of (1) rent-a-vets looking for a job next year and (2) young guys looking to launch an NBA career. If you tune out the coach, you'll find yourself on the bench, and that won't help the fortunes of either group.

Clarkson and Randle would be more likely if it happens. At that point they may need to be traded to keep the locker room.

Clarkson and Randle don't really get ticked off by how the team plays; they get ticked off after losses when another player is given time instead of them. I'm not sure if either of these guys can turn the locker room based on their personal fortunes.

The key guys on this team are Ball, Ingram and Kuzma and I don't see Randle or Clarkson having much sway with them. In fact, Clarkson's frustration is largely over not being considered a key part of the youth movement.

And the guys looking for another contract next year like Pope and Lopez won't care.

As long as Luke holds onto Ball, Ingram and Kuz, he;s OK, because those are the guys Magic cares about. He won't care if Randle or Clarkson complain about playing time.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Nance in for Randle at 4 min mark. Ball game.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: lol lol

purple8goldvanessa wrote:
typical LG.
Go back to old posts and you can't find a thing wrong with Luke Walton when he first came on board. Now he's not an NBA caliber coach per the survey. Lol!

We didn’t have any real coaching data when he was hired. Now we do.

“It is what it is”
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

I change my answer from "no" to "hell no".
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Still no
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Decision making out there is baffling to say the least.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Jeff Fisher, is that you?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: lol lol

socalsp3 wrote:
purple8goldvanessa wrote:
typical LG.
Go back to old posts and you can't find a thing wrong with Luke Walton when he first came on board. Now he's not an NBA caliber coach per the survey. Lol!

We didn’t have any real coaching data when he was hired. Now we do.

“It is what it is”

There were quite a few people on LG not entirely on board with luke when we were pursuing him
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject:

Luke is certainly an NBA caliber coach. Question is if he's a head coach or not, and I think it's too early to say. He's got the knowledge and personality to be a great assistant coach for sure.

As a head coach he's done some positive things. The team competes. They defend. The offensive and defensive schemes are much better than say Byron Scott's were. But his rotations are terrible. Some of the better players get short minutes, and he often will take a guy who is on fire out of the game to give them a rest, or to mass substitute lineups rather than staggering his substitutions.

Some of those issues are inexperience. But if he's going to become a good head coach he's going to need to figure it out quickly, or he may not survive past this season.
LAPauer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject:

Ironically, Luke was mostly hired for that Golden State offense, and yet that's the side of the ball we are lacking on the most. I can't say that there are tons of coaches in the league who I imagine taking a 30th place defensive team and getting them into the top 10. For that reason alone, I don't think we should give up on him so easily. He also just has a team full of really awful shooters, and his decision making can be really suspect. Like seriously, you turned away a shooting coach when the front office offered to hire one? You hire an elite analytics guy and then don't listen to his analytics? You keep using Bogut instead of Thomas Bryant or Zubac when we need to see what they are? Stuff like that bugs me to no end, but there's no question that the team has improved, which was and currently is his only mandate until we have the personnel to go further than just moral victories.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

I think the defensive improvement is in large part due to replacing DLo with Lonzo and Lou Will with KCP. And the offensive struggles as well. You're replacing 2 bad defenders with above average ones. I don't see much defensive scheming on Luke's part. I see them getting burned time and time again on switches like the Portland game without any in game adjustment. That's lack of coaching.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
I think the defensive improvement is in large part due to replacing DLo with Lonzo and Lou Will with KCP. And the offensive struggles as well. You're replacing 2 bad defenders with above average ones. I don't see much defensive scheming on Luke's part. I see them getting burned time and time again on switches like the Portland game without any in game adjustment. That's lack of coaching.

Really??!! Defensive In Game Adjustment! Ohh, Brother...
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Not sure he is even WNBA caliber
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
Jump to: