2018 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 332, 333, 334  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

^
Yes, I don't think chemistry would be an issue at all. I think it would mostly come down to money; how much of the contract are the Dodgers willing to take on, along with what they are willing to give up. And Stanton still has the final say on where he wants to play.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Braves are gonna get hammered.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-hammers-atlanta-braves-declaring-12-minor-league-players-free-agents-201314625.html

This might be a great opportunity for the Dodgers to try to snatch up some of their talent. Too bad the top prospect Maitan might be out of the Dodgers' price range since they don't have much in this year's international draft pool. Maybe they can use next season's pool to make it happen.

A very rough penalty for the Braves, especially in light of the weak penalties that MLB gave to the Cardinals for the hacking scandal and to Houston for the racist.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

@Feinsand
Source: Posting agreement is done. Ohtani will be coming to the Majors.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
@Feinsand
Source: Posting agreement is done. Ohtani will be coming to the Majors.

Not sure if that's a good thing for the Dodgers' chances. Especially in light of the recent Atlanta Braves scandal. This will be a huge moment for the front office to show that they can close if they can convince Shohei and some of the top Braves prospects that were declared free agents to join LA. A huge coup IMO.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Report: Dodgers still believed to be Stanton's 1st choice

Sources told MLB.com's Jon Morosi on Monday that some of the teams looking to acquire Stanton via trade from the Miami Marlins believe the reigning MVP's first choice would be to join the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Stanton's contract contains a full no-trade clause, and Morosi reported that the 28-year-old may be hesitant to waive that clause for another team without first getting "clarity" on the Dodgers' interest in acquiring him.

The Dodgers and Marlins have reportedly been in contact about a potential Stanton trade, but talks haven't progressed beyond the conceptual stages, according to Morosi.

Stanton has also reportedly given Miami a list of teams he'd accept a trade to that includes the Dodgers. It's not clear what other teams are on the list.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1432847
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

If I were Stanton I would call the Marlins bluff....they don't want to pay his salary. He holds all the cards and if he wants to go to the Dodgers he will.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
If I were Stanton I would call the Marlins bluff....they don't want to pay his salary. He holds all the cards and if he wants to go to the Dodgers he will.

For sure. If Giancarlo wants the Dodgers, he should stick to his guns. With the Marlins looking to cut payroll at all costs, if they are really considering gutting the rest of the roster just because they don't like the return for Stanton, that'd be a huge mistake. Sounds like a game of chicken between both sides, but the Marlins have far more to lose in the long run if they end up keeping Stanton and surround him with lower talent.

I'm excited at the prospect of Ginacarlo coming here, and I hope he wants to come too, but I'm really hoping Andrew/Zaidi can get the Marlins to eat some of that contract as well as not give up a king's ransom of prospects to get him.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:

I'm excited at the prospect of Ginacarlo coming here, and I hope he wants to come too, but I'm really hoping Andrew/Zaidi can get the Marlins to eat some of that contract as well as not give up a king's ransom of prospects to get him.

To me, I think the 2 things are 1 or the other in terms of the compensation the Marlins should expect if they deal Stanton.

If you're willing to eat a significant part of his contract, you have the right to ask for more in exchange in terms of prospects / talent.

If you're not, the contract is probably in the neighborhood of what he'd command in free agency, teams realistically won't give up that much and still take the risk of that deal on.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:

To me, I think the 2 things are 1 or the other in terms of the compensation the Marlins should expect if they deal Stanton.

If you're willing to eat a significant part of his contract, you have the right to ask for more in exchange in terms of prospects / talent.

If you're not, the contract is probably in the neighborhood of what he'd command in free agency, teams realistically won't give up that much and still take the risk of that deal on.

I don't disagree. I'm not saying (or even dreaming) that Giancarlo can be had for 1 prospect and MIA eating a significant part of the salary even if he strong-arms them into a deal. All I'm hoping is that the front office can get a good balance of the two. It's true it's usually one or the other, but in this case Giancarlo holds that NTC so he can kind of call the shots and help the Dodgers get a better deal than usual - IF LA is the only place he will accept a trade.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
Moses wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:

I don't disagree. I'm not saying (or even dreaming) that Giancarlo can be had for 1 prospect and MIA eating a significant part of the salary even if he strong-arms them into a deal. All I'm hoping is that the front office can get a good balance of the two. It's true it's usually one or the other, but in this case Giancarlo holds that NTC so he can kind of call the shots and help the Dodgers get a better deal than usual - IF LA is the only place he will accept a trade.

Right. If he tells them he will only accept a trade to the Dodgers, it's basically a game of who blinks first. I would imagine that the Marlins have a certain date in mind by which they think they have to move him, because other teams will just move on with their offseason plans and free agency if they don't have a resolution by a certain time. I agree that it makes much more sense for them to get rid of this big financial commitment as opposed to keeping him and selling off all of their other pieces, because then it's going to be harder to rebuild in the long run. I believe that his contract is the one that they desperately want off the books. I don't doubt that they could try to move another contract or two (Dee Gordon comes to mind), but Stanton is their big move. If Stanton is willing to wait them out, it could really be to the Dodgers' benefit, because then we could get him on our terms. It could be something similar to what I suggested a couple of pages ago, except that maybe we wouldn't have to take all of the money at all.

Give them Joc, Stripling, Kazmir, Yusniel Diaz, and Dustin May for Stanton and $40MM cash. That's my new proposed trade.

Also, I heard that the Giants are willing to take on the entirety of the contract, so if they do end up getting him, at least the Dodgers' involvement in this drove up the price.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject:

Kazmir, McCarthy, Gonzalez, Grandal and 3 prospects like Yusniel Diaz, Yasiel Sierra, and Omar Estevez for Stanton, Ziegler and a boatload of cash. He needs to use his leverage to force the Marlins into a trade that fits the Dodgers' short term and long term plans. Dodgers need to reset the luxury tax timer as well as fit in Ohtani, Morrow and Mike Minor.

Last edited by LAkers 4 Life on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:39 am; edited 2 times in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Kazmir, McCarthy, Gonzalez, Grandal and 3 prospects like Yusniel Diaz, Yasiel Sierra, and Omar Estevez for Stanton, Ziegler and a boatload of cash. He needs to use his leverage to force the Marlins into a trade that fits the Dodgers' short term and long term plans. Dodgers need to reset the luxury tax timer as well as fit in Ohtani, Morrow and Mike Minor.

Smoking on that pipe!
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Smoking on that pipe!

Fine... Dodgers can add in Baez. No need for him anyways.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Smoking on that pipe!

Fine... Dodgers can add in Baez. No need for him anyways.

Now that's where I draw the line!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Not gonna happen! Only bc this limp dick saber moron FO would rather send Kershaw in the deal than give up their precious ex-A, ex-Ray always injured pitchers.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

The Giants' reported offer doesn't look that strong to me (Panik and 2 prospects, along with assuming about $250MM of the $295MM on Stanton's deal). The headlining pitching prospect is right-handed pitcher Tyler Beede, who is already 24 and isn't even a top 100 overall prospect. The other prospect is also 24, an OF/1B named Chris Shaw, who also isn't even a top 100 overall prospect. And as for Panik, I mean, he has a career OPS+ of 105, and only 1 season with a WAR above 1.3. Decent major leaguer, but nothing more.

To me, my idea of sending Joc, Stripling, Yusniel Diaz (who is a top 100 prospect and who is Cuban and who is only 21), and Dustin May (just 20, the 6'6 right-hander is a solid prospect in his own right, though not top 100) beats that Giants' offer, at least if the Dodgers were willing to take on somewhere in the neighborhood of $250MM (whether or not Kazmir was involved).
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
The Giants' reported offer doesn't look that strong to me (Panik and 2 prospects, along with assuming about $250MM of the $295MM on Stanton's deal). The headlining pitching prospect is right-handed pitcher Tyler Beede, who is already 24 and isn't even a top 100 overall prospect. The other prospect is also 24, an OF/1B named Chris Shaw, who also isn't even a top 100 overall prospect. And as for Panik, I mean, he has a career OPS+ of 105, and only 1 season with a WAR above 1.3. Decent major leaguer, but nothing more.

To me, my idea of sending Joc, Stripling, Yusniel Diaz (who is a top 100 prospect and who is Cuban and who is only 21), and Dustin May (just 20, the 6'6 right-hander is a solid prospect in his own right, though not top 100) beats that Giants' offer, at least if the Dodgers were willing to take on somewhere in the neighborhood of $250MM (whether or not Kazmir was involved).

If they don't want Joc but rather want Verdugo or Toles, I'd be fine with that as well.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

If they don't want Joc but rather want Verdugo or Toles, I'd be fine with that as well.

Toles, absolutely 100%, as much as I like him, but Joc has a lot more upside than he does so I'd want Joc if I were the Marlins (and he can't be a free agent until 2021). Verdugo is our top OF prospect and a top, top prospect overall in baseball (#23 overall), so I don't think we'd have to give him up. I mean, the Giants don't have anyone in his neighborhood that they would be giving up.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Toles, absolutely 100%, as much as I like him, but Joc has a lot more upside than he does so I'd want Joc if I were the Marlins (and he can't be a free agent until 2021). Verdugo is our top OF prospect and a top, top prospect overall in baseball (#23 overall), so I don't think we'd have to give him up. I mean, the Giants don't have anyone in his neighborhood that they would be giving up.

Seems the trend is we have to give up more than other teams just bc we have em and our FO are limp dicks at the negotiating table. I would not be surprised if Verdugo is the sticking point. Marlins will want the moon.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Seems the trend is we have to give up more than other teams just bc we have em and our FO are limp dicks at the negotiating table. I would not be surprised if Verdugo is the sticking point. Marlins will want the moon.

Realistically, all they are going to want is someone to beat the Giants' offer. Particularly with Stanton having veto power. If the Dodgers' offer was better and if Stanton wants to go to the Dodgers, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do that. I mean, why would they want to send him where he doesn't want to go and in a trade where they get less? To me, if that's what the Giants are offering, we can beat that easily, and it won't really hurt our farm system or major league product. If we can come close to taking on the same financial commitment that the Giants would, I think we're in the driver's seat. Whether we are willing to do that or not remains to be seen.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Realistically, all they are going to want is someone to beat the Giants' offer. Particularly with Stanton having veto power. If the Dodgers' offer was better and if Stanton wants to go to the Dodgers, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do that. I mean, why would they want to send him where he doesn't want to go and in a trade where they get less? To me, if that's what the Giants are offering, we can beat that easily, and it won't really hurt our farm system or major league product. If we can come close to taking on the same financial commitment that the Giants would, I think we're in the driver's seat. Whether we are willing to do that or not remains to be seen.

Jeter and Co. are making this personal. That makes any rational decision moot.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

^
I'm not sure that it's personal; I have no idea why Jeter would resent either Stanton or the Dodgers. I do think they are trying to play hardball to get the best possible deal, but that's just business, not personal. I think that the bottom line is that if the Dodgers actually had the best deal on the table, I have no idea why that wouldn't end up getting it done. And they may not even have to do that, if Stanton is willing to call their bluff.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I'm not sure that it's personal; I have no idea why Jeter would resent either Stanton or the Dodgers. I do think they are trying to play hardball to get the best possible deal, but that's just business, not personal. I think that the bottom line is that if the Dodgers actually had the best deal on the table, I have no idea why that wouldn't end up getting it done. And they may not even have to do that, if Stanton is willing to call their bluff.

Well, more personal as in chip on one's shoulder. You saw it when they dumped the player ambassadors for no good reason.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject:

If Stanton can play right field, then any trade needs to include Puig, yeah, I know, sometimes he is good, but Stanton is not a loose canon.. and is WAY better!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
If Stanton can play right field, then any trade needs to include Puig, yeah, I know, sometimes he is good, but Stanton is not a loose canon.. and is WAY better!

We don't have to give up Puig at all; look at the trash that the Giants are proposing. Stanton can play left field, I'm sure, and you just keep Puig in right. If Puig moves on after the season, then you can move Stanton back to right, sure. But I'd love to go for a mega outfield of Stanton-Taylor-Puig for 2018.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 332, 333, 334  Next
Page 7 of 334
Jump to: