2018 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 332, 333, 334  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I have been underwhelmed by the Dodgers off-season so far. Of course, I still can't even get over Game 7.

I have this nagging feeling that was it. This sabermoron FO will let Kershaw go to the Rangers/Astros, whiff on everyone else bc they're stubborn limpdicks in the negotiating table, and somehow try to convince us that Chris Archer or some other ex-A/Ray is equivalent to Kershaw.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I really am still hurt over that game 7. Still trying to keep myself closed off towards baseball.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject:

Don't kid yourselves, NOT resigning Dar-doushe is huge...!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I have been underwhelmed by the Dodgers off-season so far. Of course, I still can't even get over Game 7.

After THAT, we get THIS??
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

The team has to reset the luxury tax. It sucks, but it is what it is, especially if we want to extend Kershaw.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Giants trade for McCutcheon.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

For not much more than a song, also.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Same with the Longoria trade. Although both trades could be described as about 5-years too late, both did have decent seasons, particularly with Longoria continuing his steady glove work.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Same with the Longoria trade. Although both trades could be described as about 5-years too late, both did have decent seasons, particularly with Longoria continuing his steady glove work.

McCutchen hit much better than Longoria did last season, and they aren't stuck to him for a while if he has a bad year in 2018.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Well, there goes my hope of this trade...

Bob Nightengale
Verified account

@BNightengale
42s
42 seconds ago

More
Felipe Rivero new $22 Million deal with #Pirates: He will receive $2.5M in 2018, $4M in 2019, $5.25M in 2020, $7.25M in 2021 and $2 million signing bonus. He also has club option in 2022 and 2023 for $10 million or $1M buyout in 2022, 500K in 2023.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

There's a reason for the lack of moves by our FO: Depression over not being able to add another ex-Ray to the team in Longoria.

But seriously, I know this FO is trying for 2019, but I have this nagging feeling it'll all end in a calamitous fail (aka we lose Kershaw to the Rangers/Astros, we whiff on Harper, etc and after we wasted Kershaw's prime years this sabermoron FO wastes Seager/Turner/Bellinger's primes).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
There's a reason for the lack of moves by our FO: Depression over not being able to add another ex-Ray to the team in Longoria.

But seriously, I know this FO is trying for 2019, but I have this nagging feeling it'll all end in a calamitous fail (aka we lose Kershaw to the Rangers/Astros, we whiff on Harper, etc and after we wasted Kershaw's prime years this sabermoron FO wastes Seager/Turner/Bellinger's primes).

That's the issue I have right now... The 2018 season hasn't even started and all of their moves this offseason are to reset for 2019. And more than likely the only big move that they will realistically make during the 2018 offseason is basically the status quo, ie. re-signing Kershaw.

How can a crap organization like the giants somehow get 2 quality players in Longoria and McCutcheon for nothing? They had no farm system before the moves. Pirates sold low on both this and the Cole trades.

I've read many articles over the years praising the front office, but it just feels like more could have been done with this team the last several years. This season will be a dog fight in the NL West.

I'm hoping the front office has learned from their past mistakes of trying to contend on the cheap and burden the payroll with albatross contracts. The 2018 offseason better result in some impact players. They cannot follow the Lakers' free-agency fiasco of Mozgov/Deng.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
rwongega wrote:

That's the issue I have right now... The 2018 season hasn't even started and all of their moves this offseason are to reset for 2019. And more than likely the only big move that they will realistically make during the 2018 offseason is basically the status quo, ie. re-signing Kershaw.

How can a crap organization like the giants somehow get 2 quality players in Longoria and McCutcheon for nothing? They had no farm system before the moves. Pirates sold low on both this and the Cole trades.

I've read many articles over the years praising the front office, but it just feels like more could have been done with this team the last several years. This season will be a dog fight in the NL West.

I'm hoping the front office has learned from their past mistakes of trying to contend on the cheap and burden the payroll with albatross contracts. The 2018 offseason better result in some impact players. They cannot follow the Lakers' free-agency fiasco of Mozgov/Deng.

Because our FO is not great at negotiating, even if they are decent enough at scouting and analytics. To be a top GM/Prez, you have to be able to be an excellent negotiator, a tiger at the table. Our guys are limp-dicks. Even in the trades they make that benefit us, there's always this sense that they could've gotten more. I mean, WTF were those contracts to Brett Anderson, Brandon McCarthy, and Scott Kazmir?!?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
rwongega wrote:

It's because we have a great farm, so teams ask for the world from us, but accept crap from other teams. Remember Seager/Urias/Bellinger for Hamels?

And we _have_ to reset this offseason and stay under the luxury tax, or we won't be able to afford re-signing Kershaw, let alone adding any other major pieces. The tax is absolutely brutal right now.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

The absolute worst part about the McCutchen trade is now I have to root against him. He was always one of my favorite players not on the Dodgers.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Damn let's hope JD goes to the AL and NOT resign with AZ or else Dodgers are in a 3 team brawl just to win the freaking West again not to mention the stiff competitive balance surrounding the NL.

Last edited by LonzoLegend2 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
It's because we have a great farm, so teams ask for the world from us, but accept crap from other teams. Remember Seager/Urias/Bellinger for Hamels?

And we _have_ to reset this offseason and stay under the luxury tax, or we won't be able to afford re-signing Kershaw, let alone adding any other major pieces. The tax is absolutely brutal right now.

I know. And it was a near miracle that they were able to even get under it for this season, but they put themselves in this position with some of those bad contracts to Kazmir/McCarthy/Olivera/Arruebuena/Toscana/etc. in the first place. Compounding the mistakes of the Kemp/Ethier extensions and taking on way too much in the Gonzalez trade. Even though Anderson should be on that list as well, he was only around on one-year deals. I guess they eventually had to pay for all the largesse.

I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll be better getting major pieces moving forward. This offseason and the previous one are probably the only two where each move, when looked at independently, have been good moves. The signings last offseason were necessary. The trades and signings so far this offseason make sense even though they're underwhelming. They're pretty much done unless they find a taker for Kemp, and they'll have to attach some premium prospects to make it happen.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
The absolute worst part about the McCutchen trade is now I have to root against him. He was always one of my favorite players not on the Dodgers.

I'm sure the FO will console you with a Yasiel Puig for Mark Canha trade....

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Rib-bit:

DWar for center fielders (for what it is worth):

#155 out of 159: Andrew McCutchen -1.1 (one spot above Pederson and lower than any regular major league CF in 2017)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Rib-bit:

DWar for center fielders (for what it is worth):

#155 out of 159: Andrew McCutchen -1.1 (one spot above Pederson and lower than any regular major league CF in 2017)

Yeah, that's why SF is going to use him in RF, and I would've wanted to use him in LF if we had traded for him. He would've been in a corner OF spot last season, too, but then the Pirates put him back in CF after the Starling Marte suspension, and just left him there once he came back.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject:

If I recall, he made a big stink about being moved from CF and that's why they left him there. hopefully he's realized he can't play it anymore, but athletes are usually the last to notice
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

So I suppose we holding on to Matty for the time being. Him and Toles ain't a bad platoon in left just not the glamor names Dodgers whiffed on.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
So I suppose we holding on to Matty for the time being. Him and Toles ain't a bad platoon in left just not the glamor names Dodgers whiffed on.

I still don't think Kemp plays another inning for us. Would rather give those OF AB's vs. lefties to Kike.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

I still don't think Kemp plays another inning for us. Would rather give those OF AB's vs. lefties to Kike.

You shush. I wanna bring that Kemp jersey back out. It's been in mothballs next to all the other ex-players who got traded or left within 2-3 years of my acquiring that jersey! It's so rare to have one come back!

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

You shush. I wanna bring that Kemp jersey back out. It's been in mothballs next to all the other ex-players who got traded or left within 2-3 years of my acquiring that jersey! It's so rare to have one come back!

Ha, if he wasn't a complete and utter stiff in the field now, he still might have some positive value.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 332, 333, 334  Next
Page 17 of 334
Jump to: