LiAngelo Ball arrested in China for Shoplifting (could face 3-10 years prison)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

true but I agree that nothing will happen to them - likely will be expensive though
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
true but I agree that nothing will happen to them - likely will be expensive though

my gut says they return home with UCLA next week
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Lavar: "Gelo will drop out of UCLA with immediate effect and play for the Shanghai Sharks this season; all personal earnings will go to the Chinese government."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

LAPauer wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
Nothing will happen to them.

Let's see, I'm in China, and if they're willing to put a huge nationalist like Jackie Chan's son in jail for possession of MJ, then they will have no problem doing the same to three idiot UCLA players. The problem is that the sentence is between 3 and 10 years in the clink. Now, my guess is that they will be given some kind of deal, but it won't be pleasant because they can't be seen as being soft on foreigners. That could mean a year in prison and likely the end of those students' basketball and college careers.

Did not know that... yeah, it does not look good for LiAngelo, at all.

I cannot see how in a time of global tensions they let 3 US basketball players off the hook when they go just as hard on their own. In some way, maybe the saving grace is that Trump is in Asia right now so they politically speaking it might be best not to fan the flames, let these kids off, and focus on N Korea. On the other, maybe this is a time where China will want to make a example with Trump in their own back yard.

One factor is that UCLA is a highly coveted school for foreign students of Asian decent so maybe there are some UCLA donors who can help pull strings with Chinese gvt.
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Maybe labbar will grin his yellow/Brown teeth and speaketh
A release into a existance.

Isn't this the one labbar said would be the most successful?

This is good now lonzo will have less distractions.
The joy ride is over

Yellow teeth
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Yeah potential here for this to get serious.

Lavar had to cancel the press conference due to advice from legal counsel. It’s big if Lavar isn’t able to talk about it.

What a dumb dumb mistake
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LAPauer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LAPauer wrote:
Gwyn wrote:

Let's see, I'm in China, and if they're willing to put a huge nationalist like Jackie Chan's son in jail for possession of MJ, then they will have no problem doing the same to three idiot UCLA players. The problem is that the sentence is between 3 and 10 years in the clink. Now, my guess is that they will be given some kind of deal, but it won't be pleasant because they can't be seen as being soft on foreigners. That could mean a year in prison and likely the end of those students' basketball and college careers.

I cannot see how in a time of global tensions they let 3 US basketball players off the hook when they go just as hard on their own. In some way, maybe the saving grace is that Trump is in Asia right now so they politically speaking it might be best not to fan the flames, let these kids off, and focus on N Korea. On the other, maybe this is a time where China will want to make a example with Trump in their own back yard.

One factor is that UCLA is a highly coveted school for foreign students of Asian decent so maybe there are some UCLA donors who can help pull strings with Chinese gvt.

So, a lot also depends on how badly they've been caught. If they were on CCTV, which any high end shop like LV has a million of over here, their goose is cooked. If they don't have video evidence, then it will come down to if they found the stolen property, and then it might be more about who of the 3 gets indicted for possession. Once they're indicted, it's over. There's a 99% conviction rate.

As you've mentioned, there are plenty of reasons for the Chinese authorities to not want this to be a big deal, including UCLA hosting so many Chinese students. I guarantee that there are also plenty of Chinese investors cringing at the situation since basketball is such a huge deal out here in general. The problem is that China also takes losing face very seriously, and they will if they are too lenient. If they get something out of it that they can flaunt, they might commute things down, but who knows what that is? Maybe they could strike a sweetheart deal for some UCLA admissions or reduced fees for Chinese students. Maybe they'll let the players form some student scholarships as their fines-- basically, they need something that lets China turn around and tell its people, "Yes, we know it was a light punishment, but we got something more valuable out of it for our citizens."
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject:

LAPauer wrote:
2019 wrote:
LAPauer wrote:
Gwyn wrote:

So, a lot also depends on how badly they've been caught. If they were on CCTV, which any high end shop like LV has a million of over here, their goose is cooked. If they don't have video evidence, then it will come down to if they found the stolen property, and then it might be more about who of the 3 gets indicted for possession. Once they're indicted, it's over. There's a 99% conviction rate.

As you've mentioned, there are plenty of reasons for the Chinese authorities to not want this to be a big deal, including UCLA hosting so many Chinese students. I guarantee that there are also plenty of Chinese investors cringing at the situation since basketball is such a huge deal out here in general. The problem is that China also takes losing face very seriously, and they will if they are too lenient. If they get something out of it that they can flaunt, they might commute things down, but who knows what that is? Maybe they could strike a sweetheart deal for some UCLA admissions or reduced fees for Chinese students. Maybe they'll let the players form some student scholarships as their fines-- basically, they need something that lets China turn around and tell its people, "Yes, we know it was a light punishment, but we got something more valuable out of it for our citizens."

None of that will happen. It won't happen because UCLA isn't going to put up their admission standards up for sale. That hurts the university's prestige.
The only personal deals that will be made is probably with BBB....The government literally got his balls no pun intended. If BBB makes their shoes in China, well Lavar doesn't have much leverage. They might ask for a majority of his profits for the future and make him sign some contracts which they can hold over him before they let them out of the country.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject:

China doesnt typically come down hard on American tourists. Sure you could get arrested and detained to scare you but no way they are going to prison for this.
LAPauer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LAPauer wrote:
2019 wrote:
LAPauer wrote:
Gwyn wrote:

None of that will happen. It won't happen because UCLA isn't going to put up their admission standards up for sale. That hurts the university's prestige.
The only personal deals that will be made is probably with BBB....The government literally got his balls no pun intended. If BBB makes their shoes in China, well Lavar doesn't have much leverage. They might ask for a majority of his profits for the future and make him sign some contracts which they can hold over him before they let them out of the country.

I honestly have no idea what's going to happen-- it really depends on what the Chinese business tycoons think because they are the ones who will leverage their relationships with the government to influence the sentence. Lavar looked worried as hell though, as he should be.

It's a shame too since I actually really love living here in China, and I was just in Hangzhou two weeks ago, which is a gorgeous place. If you follow the laws here, it's a really fantastic place to be. All they had to do was gorge themselves on awesome food, party with cute Chinese girls, and go to Disneyland in Shanghai, but they somehow managed to F up what would have been an amazing trip.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject:

Out on bail....

LINK
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
I find it ridiculously dump when rich people get caught shoplifting. Why? Makes 0 sense.

Hey, Winona Ryder bounced back from shoplifting 20 years later. LiAngelo will be fine. Not like he might have ever needed to seek employment in China or another country that frequently competes against China at any point in his future.

This is very different. He's facing several years in a Chinese prison . . . not wondering if he'll be able to get a job.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
I find it ridiculously dump when rich people get caught shoplifting. Why? Makes 0 sense.

Hey, Winona Ryder bounced back from shoplifting 20 years later. LiAngelo will be fine. Not like he might have ever needed to seek employment in China or another country that frequently competes against China at any point in his future.

This is very different. He's facing several years in a Chinese prison . . . not wondering if he'll be able to get a job.

they originally reported it could take over a month to get bail....he got it within 24 hours....seems like this case is headed toward a best case scenario for the UCLA players.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

That was a joke from page one. Then the thread turned serious and informative.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Out on bail....

LINK

Wonder who paid for all 3 of their bail money.
LAPauer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

So this is definitely the best case scenario so far. They went to tour Alibaba right before all this went down as well. There's serious money in basketball here and I'm betting the big wigs have decided a pair of LV glasses aren't worth stunting the growth of the NCAA or NBA good will over the last few years. They're incredibly lucky.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

Winona Ryder is like not even a good actress though tbh - comes across very cheesy in the delivery of her lines.

We'll see if LiAngelo suffers the same fate.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
Winona Ryder is like not even a good actress though tbh - comes across very cheesy in the delivery of her lines.

We'll see if LiAngelo suffers the same fate.

I'll be in my bunk rewatching Girl, Interrupted.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

I really like Heathers, don't get me wrong. But I'm referring to her role in The Secret Life of the American Teenager most especially. She is objectively awful in that show.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

Dumb dumb dumb.

I'm reminded of the old group behavior idioms, one rotten apple and the barrel. Who's the instigator here ?
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

Edit: I will reserve judgement until I have more details.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

Caught of what Ramona was saying this morning:

Something about a big name ambassador for basketball presence in China (or something along those lines) is working with the kids though this. She hinted that having this person as mediator would help ease the situation.

Ramona also mentioned the Trump visit and how the govt could potentially get involved to avoid the shame.

I really do think they come home, but I'm more curious to see if the school only suspends them (which is expected) or expels them.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

^ Thanks for the update, first person who is a big name ambassador that comes to mind is Kobe Bryant. Perhaps the Mamba is at work behind the scenes here?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

Yes, I am more interested in what UCLA does. Suspend them from a cake walk preseason game? An excessive punishment would be a bad idea, maybe work with the Conference and suspend them from the first conference game.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
^ Thanks for the update, first person who is a big name ambassador that comes to mind is Kobe Bryant. Perhaps the Mamba is at work behind the scenes here?

No, wasnt Kobe. There was a name I cant remember.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11
Jump to: