L.A. Lakers Could Surprise If Vastly Improved Defense, Julius Randle Hold Up

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: L.A. Lakers Could Surprise If Vastly Improved Defense, Julius Randle Hold Up

Hey all,

L.A. Lakers Could Surprise If Vastly Improved Defense, Julius Randle Hold Up @BleacherReport
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2742244-la-lakers-could-surprise-if-vastly-improved-defense-julius-randle-hold-up

Cheers,

Eric

Also: . [ at ] JoshMartinNBA & I w/a videocast for @hollywood_hoops - our take on Lonzo Ball's scoreless impact, Nance injury

Last edited by emplay on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

Small typo- you said we lost 113 to 100
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Nice read Eric!
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

thx fixing re score
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Has your 37 win prediction change?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

I'm already surprised...!

Team looks good even in losses..

DILLY...DILLY....!
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

I don't change my preseason win prediction - I'm either wrong or right
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Love how Lakers are playing right now. Defense is a great team effort. Offense still a work in progress.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

I shall refer to you as the anti Chad Ford.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

damn, lol
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject:

My biggest issue is that the start of this year really resembles last year's start.

We are playing great, but Luke is increasingly leaning on Vets (KCP/BROLO this year) (LOU/NY last year). Hes Also heavily dependant on his bench unit.

Luke's coaching strategy seems to be to stack his bench and really blitz the other team's second unit. Of course, this philosophy has so many negatives long term (1. Teams figure it out; 2. In the Playoffs - teams will play their starters extended minutes; 3. Injuries - which will make keeping the units together unsustainable)

Just like last year, the injuries are starting to come (LNJ). Another big issue is that the team's philosophy is no longer to keep building with the players on the team. The team's strategy is to use Ball and Ingram as bait to get Max players to come. As such, the fact that Lopez/JC/JR/KCP are carrying the team is NOT so good since these guys do NOT figure in the long term plans.

Of course, on the other hand, the wins are good, and if the Vets and Bench keep it together until Ball and Ingram take it up to the next level then the plan will work out. Also, Kuzma is balling.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Lakers - so far - play defense.

Lakers last year, shot lights out while playing marginal D

big difference
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
My biggest issue is that the start of this year really resembles last year's start.

We are playing great, but Luke is increasingly leaning on Vets (KCP/BROLO this year) (LOU/NY last year). Hes Also heavily dependant on his bench unit.

Luke's coaching strategy seems to be to stack his bench and really blitz the other team's second unit. Of course, this philosophy has so many negatives long term (1. Teams figure it out; 2. In the Playoffs - teams will play their starters extended minutes; 3. Injuries - which will make keeping the units together unsustainable)

Just like last year, the injuries are starting to come (LNJ). Another big issue is that the team's philosophy is no longer to keep building with the players on the team. The team's strategy is to use Ball and Ingram as bait to get Max players to come. As such, the fact that Lopez/JC/JR/KCP are carrying the team is NOT so good since these guys do NOT figure in the long term plans.

Of course, on the other hand, the wins are good, and if the Vets and Bench keep it together until Ball and Ingram take it up to the next level then the plan will work out. Also, Kuzma is balling.

IMO the starters are getting a lot more minutes than they did last season. The bench is still scoring a lot but they don't get the huge minutes that they did last season.

Also, all the guys play D now and that was not the case last season at all. Good work by the FO and the coaching staff to change our team culture around in such a short amount of time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

The starting D almost gave the game away last night, KCP saved their bacon
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

The momentum shifted end of 3rd with the bench unit - they started to fall apart and then start of 4th a mess til the end - young teams think they've won so they relax and stop executing
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

It was the starters who gave up that 7-0 run. That KCP strip on a layup ended that as I remember it. But you are correct, that 18 point lead had dropped to 10 or 12 by the time the starters came in.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Right, you're asking the starters to come in cold vs. a team that is now smoking - to stop the bleeding the bench created - that's very difficult and why leads are often lost in the NBA
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I would rather see the starters start the 4th and then close with whoever has been defending well, maybe the last 6 minutes.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject:

Hey Emplay, in light of the Luol Deng debacle and given Randle's steady performance in limited minutes, do you think the Lakers could pull of this trade with Utah:

Julius Randle, Luol Deng, 2020 1st Round Pick for Joe Johnson, Derrick Favors (both expiring in 2019)?

I would hate to lose Randle and would only do it if I knew 100% that Lebron was coming but this is just hypothetically speaking. Do you think Randle has played well enough for a team like Utah that struggles to attract free agents to absorb Deng's contract?
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

Eric,

Every time i visit bleacherreport the page is not well formatted. I have tried on several different computers and its the same.

What's up with that? Looks like it is missing some css on the page.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

Lakers would probably move Randle to get out if Deng in the right situation but I am skeptical to think a team takes Deng.

RE Bleacher formatting, no idea, other than perhaps make sure you're at http and not https - I've seen that fix a missing css issue but an extreme one
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject:

Okay Emplay, yet another proposal involving Luol Deng (ikr),

Who Says no?

Lakers send Julius Randle, Luol Deng, 2020 1st round pick to Brooklyn for Jeremy Lin (injured 2018, expires 2019), Trevor Booker (expires 2019).

Lin is owed $11m in 2019 and we can either keep him as a back up PG while going with the 2 max plan or stretch him over 3 years to be able to go for another backup PG option.

Love what Julius brings to the table but if we're not gonna play him the minutes he deserves or likely lose him for nothing next year if we go with the 2 max plan, then we might have to use him to get rid of Deng if at all possible.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm not going to expect a team takes on Deng in a deal like that - if I get any word that suggests they might, I'll write on it
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: