Bob Knight criticizes John Wooden

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Bob Knight criticizes John Wooden

Quote:
"I have a lot of respect for Wooden as a coach, how he coached. He was a good coach," Knight said in an interview on "Undeniable with Joe Buck" that will air Wednesday (8 p.m. ET, Audience). "But from then on, and I don't mind saying it, I don't respect Wooden, because he allowed Sam Gilbert to do whatever it took to recruit kids.

LINK
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bob Knight criticizes John Wooden

adkindo wrote:
Quote:
"I have a lot of respect for Wooden as a coach, how he coached. He was a good coach," Knight said in an interview on "Undeniable with Joe Buck" that will air Wednesday (8 p.m. ET, Audience). "But from then on, and I don't mind saying it, I don't respect Wooden, because he allowed Sam Gilbert to do whatever it took to recruit kids.

LINK

Yeah Bobby. Better to throw chairs at them.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

Reaffirms everything we knew about that paradigm of leadership, Bob Knight.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

I doubt there are many, if any, intelligent people who don't respect Wooden more than Knight. Even Knight's boy Alford prefers to coach at Wooden's school.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

lol loser
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I remember when Wooden choked Bill Walton for sass.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

who gives a krap what Bobby Knight thinks, the man is a loser human being.
He can't even sniff Woodens underwear.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

This Indiana on Purdue(Wooden's alma mater) crime that being said despite being an alum of both of those schools.

I side with Wooden because I have always hated Bobby Knight.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Bobby Knight wrote:
"If rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it.''

Consequently, his protege and unfortunately now the HC of the Bruins, was a rapist supporter.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

It’s weird that this would come up now. The stuff about Sam Gilbert got aired decades ago.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

Strange too that Bob Knight doesn't even have the story straight.

Gilbert was never involved in recruiting at all; he was an after recruitment guy, someone who had in-town connections for little things: meals at home, getting a guy a jacket or pair of shoes, a few bucks worth of walking around cash, a co-sign for a car, a bus ticket home at the holidays. Not only did every program in the country have their own Sam Gilberts, Sam was small potatoes and no factor in recruiting. If you're gonna harp on Wooden regarding Sam Gilbert, at least do your homework Bob.

Bob Knight hated Wooden for many reason and it blinded him: mainly for winning big so often and for being ethically untouchable. Knight hated him for beating the Indiana Hoosiers every time they met, for being a bigger icon of Indiana basketball than Knight himself, and for how Wooden carried himself as a teacher. Knight never forgave the old man for all of those perceived slights, for how they made Bob a diminutive version of Wooden.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
I doubt there are many, if any, intelligent people who don't respect Wooden more than Knight. Even Knight's boy Alford prefers to coach at Wooden's school.

Yeah, Alford's rebuff of those feelers from IU last Spring surprised me a bit. OK, UCLA has the bigger historical reference point than Indiana, but Steve was a quintessential Knight protege and captain of the man's final of three NC championship squads. As an Indiana icon himself, Steve must have felt some draw to go home to command one's alma mater program. Not enough apparently, said that his family loves California and that he's staying at UCLA for the long run.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:

Gilbert was never involved in recruiting at all; he was an after recruitment guy, someone who had in-town connections for little things: meals at home, getting a guy a jacket or pair of shoes, a few bucks worth of walking around cash, a co-sign for a car, a bus ticket home at the holidays. Not only did every program in the country have their own Sam Gilberts, Sam was small potatoes and no factor in recruiting. If you're gonna harp on Wooden regarding Sam Gilbert, at least do your homework Bob.

Bob Knight hated Wooden for many reason and it blinded him: mainly for winning big so often and for being ethically untouchable. Knight hated him for beating the Indiana Hoosiers every time they met, for being a bigger icon of Indiana basketball than Knight himself, and for how Wooden carried himself as a teacher. Knight never forgave the old man for all of those perceived slights, for how they made Bob a diminutive version of Wooden.

I am not here to say what is true or not true....but there have always been allegations that Gilbert was involved influencing recruits to come to UCLA with gifts, money and the promise of future benefits. Supposedly he had friends in the Athletic Department and even on the staff that would point him in the direction of recruits Wooden hoped to sign. It was also part of the pitch from players on the roster and assistant coaches to recruits that they would be taken care of by Gilbert once on campus.

Was everyone doing it? Not sure....but history paints a picture that no one was doing it at the level of UCLA and Gilbert.

I do not have a problem with what Knight said in regards to the facts of the statement.....my problem is this is all well documented and been discussed....Wooden even addressed when living....what good does it do to bring it up now?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

I am not here to say what is true or not true....but there have always been allegations that Gilbert was involved influencing recruits to come to UCLA with gifts, money and the promise of future benefits. Supposedly he had friends in the Athletic Department and even on the staff that would point him in the direction of recruits Wooden hoped to sign. It was also part of the pitch from players on the roster and assistant coaches to recruits that they would be taken care of by Gilbert once on campus.

Was everyone doing it? Not sure....but history paints a picture that no one was doing it at the level of UCLA and Gilbert.

I do not have a problem with what Knight said in regards to the facts of the statement.....my problem is this is all well documented and been discussed....Wooden even addressed when living....what good does it do to bring it up now?

It's naive to claim "history paints a picture that no one was doing it at the level of UCLA and Gilbert." So untrue.

Only you paint that picture, then curiously you suggest it does no good to bring it up now. Can't talk out of both sides of your mouth.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

It's naive to claim "history paints a picture that no one was doing it at the level of UCLA and Gilbert." So untrue.

Only you paint that picture, then curiously you suggest it does no good to bring it up now. Can't talk out of both sides of your mouth.

what other program during this period can you name that has had multiple books and legitimate news articles written about a specific program booster?

It appears your thin skin has caused you to attack the messenger, or the messengers perception.

Again, who are the other Sam Gilbert's in the 60's and 70's?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

I'm not thin-skinned about UCLA's rep at all. I am aware however that the school's success is mistakenly connected to the types and levels of Gilbert's influence.

I've personal friends from school, former players from many schools, who benefited from thousands of dollars and heaps of goods placed in their pockets during the fifties and sixties, from boosters of USC, Purdue, Ohio State, and Florida. My friends weren't even the star football and basketball players on their squads, but the cash made available to them was amazing. Getting $50/week cash for each lineman at a team dinner every week was common at Purdue, just one example of hundreds.

I have been close enough to the UCLA program during its glory years to know that the same benefits were not being glad handed the Bruins. UCLA is an easy target for media types, the success being incomparable.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I'm not thin-skinned about UCLA's rep at all. I am aware however that the school's success is mistakenly connected to the types and levels of Gilbert's influence.

I've personal friends from school, former players from many schools, who benefited from thousands of dollars and heaps of goods placed in their pockets during the fifties and sixties, from boosters of USC, Purdue, Ohio State, and Florida. My friends weren't even the star football and basketball players on their squads, but the cash made available to them was amazing. Getting $50/week cash for each lineman at a team dinner every week was common at Purdue, just one example of hundreds.

I have been close enough to the UCLA program during its glory years to know that the same benefits were not being glad handed the Bruins. UCLA is an easy target for media types, the success being incomparable.

I do not doubt everything your saying....but the fact that Gilbert is the one that everyone seems to be aware of, I think that qualifies as "history painting" UCLA as the biggest abuser. For all I know 20 other schools were far worse....and maybe their lack of success or they kept it better hidden....but for whatever reason, I cannot think of any other school and linked individual that has received the amount of ink as Gilbert and UCLA.

I was not even on earth when UCLA was winning with Wooden....so I felt your statement that I was the one painting the picture and talking out of both sides of my mouth was an incorrect description of my comments.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
who gives a krap what Bobby Knight thinks, the man is a loser human being.
He can't even sniff Woodens underwear.

Since we're talking toilet, there was the gem during the Neil Reed choking incident that he went into the restroom and brought out with him a soiled wad of TP to show the lads what they were playing like. One of the players leaked that one. Dude's intensely self-hating, shows in everything he's ever done.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: