Lonzo Ball as shooting guard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo and shooting for now can't stay in the same phrase.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
KBH wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
For those of you too caught up in positional definitions from 50 years ago, Lonzo is at his best when he starts off of the ball in the half court. If you still need to call him a PG within that sort of framework, knock yourself out.

You may be right, but if so, he will never be the player that he was hyped to be. That might not be a bad thing, but a lot of people will have a hard time getting their brains wrapped around it.

This wouldn't be the first time our Lakers FO pegged and/or hyped a player as something they weren't.

Right now he's just another Rookie...sorry for those who thought this was MJ, Kobe, LeBron, etc...the writing was on the wall...

He could turn out to be a real good player one day but today he just needs to go through the normal learning curve.

Where did I say anything about MJ, Lebron or Kobe? Oh, you're building a strawman. Never mind.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
A shooting guard who can’t shoot. Not a good idea.

JrR31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
A shooting guard who can’t shoot. Not a good idea.

I always knew he can shoot. Jumpshot is not even my biggest problem

with Zo.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Seems to be shooting more side ways tonight?
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject:

If we have kept Dlo, I would have been interested in seeing Dlo doing ball handling full time and Lonzo doing the shooting full time just for giggles. Somehow I think that would be a train wreak waiting to happen
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
If we have kept Dlo, I would have been interested in seeing Dlo doing ball handling full time and Lonzo doing the shooting full time just for giggles. Somehow I think that would be a train wreak waiting to happen

I think DLO would have slipped into the SG position on O. It
was not a problem, but he's not here, so KCP will do what he can. Next
season we will need a full time SG that can play on both sides
of the ball.

Last edited by deal on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:

We saw 11 of Lonzo's points come off of assists from his teammates, which is in part why he finally had a good shooting night and is in line with how he efficiently got his points at UCLA. Russell theoretically would have allowed Lonzo to have a few more possessions per game off-ball with another guy who could reward him for cutting, running off screens, etc.

Two PG systems don't often work, but the hope for some last June was that Ball and Russell could work together since they both can play SG and PG fairly interchangeably.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

Was it 11? The one that stands out was the set play they ran to start the 3rd where Brook hit him cutting to the basket. I'd love to see more of that.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

We saw 11 of Lonzo's points come off of assists from his teammates, which is in part why he finally had a good shooting night and is in line with how he efficiently got his points at UCLA. Russell theoretically would have allowed Lonzo to have a few more possessions per game off-ball with another guy who could reward him for cutting, running off screens, etc.

Two PG systems don't often work, but the hope for some last June was that Ball and Russell could work together since they both can play SG and PG fairly interchangeably.

I don't watch college ball so I'm not sure. But would the ideal complement for Lonzo then be someone who can play point forward, sort of like ben simmons? Also what about a passing centre like Sabonis from the Blazers during the 3 peat years. The thought of having elite passing ability in both the front court and back court just appeals to me for some reason, instead of interchangeable point guards.

Last edited by Vanquish on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

I think this is a ridiculous post, Lonzo is as natural a point guard as there is in the history of the NBA. His existence is based on providing easy shots for others, and being a court conductor. If he scores 0 points but gets the win because he moved the ball he's done his job. Lonzo is not going to change, we have a great point guard in him and I believe superstars are going to want to play with him. Stop these ideas of changing his position or style of shooting. What may happen is that he will add some shots to his arsenal like a short jumper, but otherwise wysiwyg.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Was it 11? The one that stands out was the set play they ran to start the 3rd where Brook hit him cutting to the basket. I'd love to see more of that.

I misremembered one of his threes being assisted, so it was only 8 points, including the set play you note, which was beautiful.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

You could pair Lonzo with someone like Fish in his prime, which interestingly enough you could have said about Russell. Lonzo is a natural play maker and as his career goes on, I expect him to guard PG/SG and at times be paired with smaller SG that aren't distributors but can guard PGs well.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
You could pair Lonzo with someone like Fish in his prime, which interestingly enough you could have said about Russell. Lonzo is a natural play maker and as his career goes on, I expect him to guard PG/SG and at times be paired with smaller SG that aren't distributors but can guard PGs well.

shaun livingston would be nice
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:

Unfortunately your boy is down with his 2nd knee injury of the season, and we are 13 games in. Stop bringing that stiff's name up, he's no longer a laker...thx.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

Unfortunately your boy is down with his 2nd knee injury of the season, and we are 13 games in. Stop bringing that stiff's name up, he's no longer a laker...thx.

20/6/4 in 27mpg.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

20/6/4 in 27mpg.

but those stats will go down with missing games correct?
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

[N.A.]

Last edited by Vanquish on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Christopher Walken wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

20/6/4 in 27mpg.

Only if they trot him out with a bum knee for a minute each game, which is what I expect they'll do.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

20/6/4 in 27mpg.

Only if they trot him out with a bum knee for a minute each game, which is what I expect they'll do.

A new york minute.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

horrible idea. Yes he can use a high scoring playmaker on the court with him but he will still play best and be of most benefit to any team as the PG.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

I don't watch college ball so I'm not sure. But would the ideal complement for Lonzo then be someone who can play point forward, sort of like ben simmons? Also what about a passing centre like Sabonis from the Blazers during the 3 peat years. The thought of having elite passing ability in both the front court and back court just appeals to me for some reason, instead of interchangeable point guards.

I think he and Nikola Jokic together would set offensive records.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

20/6/4 in 27mpg.

Per game stats don't go anywhere with games not played.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

I would like to see him play 65% of his time at SG and maybe 75% of his time as our center. Think of how good this guy would be making those passes from the post!!!

Then after we win 5 rings in a row, he could buy us all our own islands!!!!!!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
I would like to see him play 65% of his time at SG and maybe 75% of his time as our center. Think of how good this guy would be making those passes from the post!!!

Then after we win 5 rings in a row, he could buy us all our own islands!!!!!!

Magic did it...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: