Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Seems like a wing is the most popular speculation and interest for the late first pick. Any thoughts on selecting a center?

There seems to be a few floating around the mid 20's to low 30's that could be available to the Lakers. Adding a more athletic or defensive center to the mix may not be a bad idea. Do any stand out to anyone?

Going to be interesting to see how or if the Center position is handled in free agency. From what I have seen of Zubac and/or Bryant they are not ready to play significant mpg unless there is a big leap over the summer.

All the mocks across the board basically show where the talent is. The bigs have all the talent in the lottery and get taken early. The current draft is considerably weaker compared to last season in terms of wings and point guards, so they all slip to the mid-late 1st and possibly mid 2nd.

I'd have no issues selecting a center, but the guys available at that pick would be projects and need some mentoring. Usually it's Brandon McCoy and Mitchell Robinson at the pick.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Mike@lg, what is your take on Melvin frazier? 6'6 sg with a 7 ft wingspan and a 2 way player? Seems like he is a late first round pick?

one guy I thought of in response to PICKnPOP's question. Also a few others include Chandler Hutchinson (Boise St.), Zhaire Smith (Texas Tech), Dzanan Musa (Bosnia), Tyus Battle (Syracuse), Troy Brown (Oregon)

That's how weak this draft class is. These guys are early 2nds if the draft was last year.

I don't even like Musa. Unconsciounable shot selection without the results. Battle is a volume guy, although I do like that he's a dynamic ball-handler and can attack in multiple ways. I don't trust Syracuse guys anymore either.

Troy Brown I expect mid 1st. Hutchison is the only guy I can foresee slipping down because he's an older prospects that is prone to ball-pounding in the halfcourt. Zhaire Smith has to be mid-1st as well. Elite level athlete, but does a lot of winning plans out there.

LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Mike@lg, what is your take on Melvin frazier? 6'6 sg with a 7 ft wingspan and a 2 way player? Seems like he is a late first round pick?

one guy I thought of in response to PICKnPOP's question. Also a few others include Chandler Hutchinson (Boise St.), Zhaire Smith (Texas Tech), Dzanan Musa (Bosnia), Tyus Battle (Syracuse), Troy Brown (Oregon)

We are of the same wave length on these players..
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:

That's how weak this draft class is. These guys are early 2nds if the draft was last year.

I don't even like Musa. Unconsciounable shot selection without the results. Battle is a volume guy, although I do like that he's a dynamic ball-handler and can attack in multiple ways. I don't trust Syracuse guys anymore either.

Troy Brown I expect mid 1st. Hutchison is the only guy I can foresee slipping down because he's an older prospects that is prone to ball-pounding in the halfcourt. Zhaire Smith has to be mid-1st as well. Elite level athlete, but does a lot of winning plans out there.

if Boise makes the tournament, and Hutchison shows out against a power conference team....it could almost lock him in the Top 20ish.....the only two knocks I seem to hear on him is age and level of competition. I agree Troy Brown will likely be flirting with the lottery, and there would be no reason for Zhaire Smith to come out unless he is confident he will be selected in top half of 1st Round. I think our opinions on this area of the draft talent is similar, but our expectations are different. I am ok with landing a rotation guy....which I think we can do....but you want a starter level guy, and that will be tougher to locate.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

curious on why Billy Preston and Austin Wiley never seem to appear in mocks currently? I would assume the best option for both would be to declare this year?
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

I’m sure he’s been talked about but what’s the take on anfrnee simmons
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Seems like a wing is the most popular speculation and interest for the late first pick. Any thoughts on selecting a center?

There seems to be a few floating around the mid 20's to low 30's that could be available to the Lakers. Adding a more athletic or defensive center to the mix may not be a bad idea. Do any stand out to anyone?

Going to be interesting to see how or if the Center position is handled in free agency. From what I have seen of Zubac and/or Bryant they are not ready to play significant mpg unless there is a big leap over the summer.

All the mocks across the board basically show where the talent is. The bigs have all the talent in the lottery and get taken early. The current draft is considerably weaker compared to last season in terms of wings and point guards, so they all slip to the mid-late 1st and possibly mid 2nd.

I'd have no issues selecting a center, but the guys available at that pick would be projects and need some mentoring. Usually it's Brandon McCoy and Mitchell Robinson at the pick.

Thanks for the draft guru expertise.

I tend to expect any rookie to need mentoring and development, just depends on how much and the role expectations of quickly they can contribute.

Looking at some scouting reports and mock draft positioning it looks like Yurtseven and Wiley would also be in the discussion around the Lakers pick. All seem young and projects but are intriguing.

Yurtseven looks to have some offensive / shooting skills and McCoy a solid defender and motor. Any seperate themselves in your opinion? More importantly would you expect any to be an upgrade to Zubac or Bryant?

Neither has overly impressed with the limited playing time they have had. JMO but neither has given me much optimism of being anything but end of the bench contributors at best.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

So would the Lakers likely take 2 3-4 year players? Kuz/Hart/JC/Nance were all 3-4 year players and immediate contributors.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
I’m sure he’s been talked about but what’s the take on anfrnee simmons

if he declares and he's available at our pick he's a reasonable gamble. has shown good tools and athleticism, and a nice shooting stroke. would need time though, definitely not ready to contribute right away. might not be until his 2nd contract that we really see his value, so i think you'd be drafting him mainly for his restricted free agency rights.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Thanks for the draft guru expertise.

I tend to expect any rookie to need mentoring and development, just depends on how much and the role expectations of quickly they can contribute.

Looking at some scouting reports and mock draft positioning it looks like Yurtseven and Wiley would also be in the discussion around the Lakers pick. All seem young and projects but are intriguing.

Yurtseven looks to have some offensive / shooting skills and McCoy a solid defender and motor. Any seperate themselves in your opinion? More importantly would you expect any to be an upgrade to Zubac or Bryant?

Neither has overly impressed with the limited playing time they have had. JMO but neither has given me much optimism of being anything but end of the bench contributors at best.

I admit it's considerably easier for me to examine wings/guards than bigmen. Usually it's based on a skills package. But the guys I've seen in the late 1st are the Clint Capela archetype-projects. If they're the better players than the current wings (which I highly doubt), then, by all means, draft them. Otherwise, I'm actually okay with Zubac and Bryant at 10-15mpg each and Randle the rest of the PT at 5 while opening PT for Kuzma at 4.

Of course, things change dramatically if PG13.1 and LeBron get added. But I'd put LeBron at 4/5 time anyway.

Frankly, it's ridiculous how Zubac and Bryant have flat out dominated the G-League. It's not even close. They just need to get acclimated to NBA speed/reactions. We just have to accept they're going to ice even pick and roll and won't be great switch defenders. That's fine. They're late 1st/early 2nd round types anyway.

As long as Zubac shows touch in the paint/midrange, TB from 3pt, they box out, they protect the rim, they're good. Anything with passing, perimeter defense... that's all bonus stuff.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So would the Lakers likely take 2 3-4 year players? Kuz/Hart/JC/Nance were all 3-4 year players and immediate contributors.

I prefer to not to think of experience as a gauge/reason why a player should get drafted. I think there are freshman that'll be selected in the mid-1st that are more well-rounded/skilled than other 3-4 year wing/PG types late in the first.

Even if the Lakers kept the Tony Bradley pick last season, I wouldn't have been mad. 9'4.5" standing reach. Communicates on defense. Keeps the ball high up. Boxes out. Quickly developing midrange shot. More acclimated to NBA gamespeed than Thomas Bryant. Dude was a freshman.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I prefer to not to think of experience as a gauge/reason why a player should get drafted. I think there are freshman that'll be selected in the mid-1st that are more well-rounded/skilled than other 3-4 year wing/PG types late in the first.

Even if the Lakers kept the Tony Bradley pick last season, I wouldn't have been mad. 9'4.5" standing reach. Communicates on defense. Keeps the ball high up. Boxes out. Quickly developing midrange shot. More acclimated to NBA gamespeed than Thomas Bryant. Dude was a freshman.

IMO I get the sense that they want to fill out the rotation with less projects and more experienced and ready to play guys. With a 2nd, 3 late 1sts, we got basically guys #6-8 on the rotation.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

IMO I get the sense that they want to fill out the rotation with less projects and more experienced and ready to play guys. With a 2nd, 3 late 1sts, we got basically guys #6-8 on the rotation.

The more analytics driven draft philosophies will absolutely deter from athletic clay types anyway.

The project types will actually get drafted earlier, because a lot of those guys are putting up numbers despite appearing to be limited skill-wise. It drops the upperclassmen down.

However, if there was a hypothetical decision between Chandler Hutchison and Troy Brown, I'm picking the freshman, even if Hutchison is the better athlete, so far better shooter. You can teach Troy Brown what Hutchison already knows. It's more difficult to teach Chandler how to move the ball, drive and kick, and run a more efficient half-court offense both on-and-off ball, instead of ball-pounding like Chandler.

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I agree that we should look for a project rim protector. With Larry gone we need some length and athleticism around the rim. Seems like we are pretty stacked with guards and wings.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The more analytics driven draft philosophies will absolutely deter from athletic clay types anyway.

The project types will actually get drafted earlier, because a lot of those guys are putting up numbers despite appearing to be limited skill-wise. It drops the upperclassmen down.

However, if there was a hypothetical decision between Chandler Hutchison and Troy Brown, I'm picking the freshman, even if Hutchison is the better athlete, so far better shooter. You can teach Troy Brown what Hutchison already knows. It's more difficult to teach Chandler how to move the ball, drive and kick, and run a more efficient half-court offense both on-and-off ball, instead of ball-pounding like Chandler.

With Lonzo/BI as the 20 year olds who will need developmental time I can see them going with older players.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I agree that we should look for a project rim protector. With Larry gone we need some length and athleticism around the rim. Seems like we are pretty stacked with guards and wings.

Is it necessary with Zubac and Bryant needing PT?

I don't know man. If the BPA is a wing or a point guard, and that's what it looks like, the Lakers do need help there.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

With Lonzo/BI as the 20 year olds who will need developmental time I can see them going with older players.

Is this in terms of veteran experience? It's fortunate that De'Anthony Melton and Bruce Brown are experienced. I'd rather have both of those guys challenge Zo and BI to get them to improve their games. I'm not at all concerned with the intangibles of the youth core. Get me the most talented guy that not only challenges those two in practice, but creates a better overall results for the Lakers with wins and losses. BPAs.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Is this in terms of veteran experience? It's fortunate that De'Anthony Melton and Bruce Brown are experienced. I'd rather have both of those guys challenge Zo and BI to get them to improve their games. I'm not at all concerned with the intangibles of the youth core. Get me the most talented guy that not only challenges those two in practice, but creates a better overall results for the Lakers with wins and losses. BPAs.

I am clueless about this year's class. But philosophically, seems with late 1st round picks/2nd rounders they want to go after older players who are more ready to play now. I think it's a sound strategy over a 19 year old who may need 3-4 years of developmental time.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I am clueless about this year's class. But philosophically, seems with late 1st round picks/2nd rounders they want to go after older players who are more ready to play now. I think it's a sound strategy over a 19 year old who may need 3-4 years of developmental time.

It's more like, the experienced dudes are dropping down in almost every mock across the board because the BPAs that just so happen to be freshmen or sophs will likely be drafted earlier.

I'm just frustrated by the argument. The idea of a "ready now" player with a lower upside just to help out internal development doesn't make sense to me, especially when there's no 1 proven franchise player for the Lakers yet. Even if say, LeBron and Paul George were to be added, I still think it's best to pick BPA because it's just adding depth by position. When some of the older players may be traded or phased out by retirement, those guys step in. The 80s Lakers did this well. They continually replenished the talent. Even in the late 80s into the 90s, projects were taken. Elden Campbell and Vlade Divac ended up VERY legit quality 10-15 year NBA starters. Those dudes were not ready their first 2-4 years in the league.

Like I said, I don't like scouting a player based primarily on some level of experience. I think guys like Kuzma and Hart were BPAs at their draft positions last year, just like Zo and Bryant were.

The Lakers are just very lucky they're able to contribute so immediately. Even great college experience doesn't guarantee NBA success. Of all the great drafts the Lakers have had in recent years, Anthony Brown didn't make it.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Like I said, I don't like scouting a player based primarily on some level of experience. I think guys like Kuzma and Hart were BPAs at their draft positions last year, just like Zo and Bryant were.

The Lakers are just very lucky they're able to contribute so immediately. Even great college experience doesn't guarantee NBA success. Of all the great drafts the Lakers have had in recent years, Anthony Brown didn't make it.

Right, just pointing out what appears to be a 3 year pattern of success. I gather they will continue that.

2014: JC
2015: Nance
2016: Kuz/Hart
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I don't know man. If the BPA is a wing or a point guard, and that's what it looks like, the Lakers do need help there.

That is a very good point, but I am not sure that Zu or Big Mamba are athletic enough. To clarify- they can protect the rim just fine, but they don't have the agility and quickness to switch out to the perimeter like Larry did.

But yes, you are right- at that point int the draft you pick the BPA no matter what position they play.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That is a very good point, but I am not sure that Zu or Big Mamba are athletic enough. To clarify- they can protect the rim just fine, but they don't have the agility and quickness to switch out to the perimeter like Larry did.

But yes, you are right- at that point int the draft you pick the BPA no matter what position they play.

As long as they're a + on offense and limit the - on defense, they deserve the PT.

Brook Lopez isn't exactly the fastest guy on the perimeter too, but his skill set/size/box out is + enough to keep him on the court for his given PT.

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

As long as they're a + on offense and limit the - on defense, they deserve the PT.

Brook Lopez isn't exactly the fastest guy on the perimeter too, but his skill set/size/box out is + enough to keep him on the court for his given PT.

My initial question about centers was because I was curious about almost all of the discussion being directed towards wing players. Yet there are a few Center prospects currently projected in the mid/late 20s.

Was wondering if they were the BPA at that point. I tend to watch mostly NBA and enjoy hearing opinions of those watching the college game and sharing the info

Even with Bryant and Zubac I have some doubts. They may be dominating the G-League but it has not translated to the NBA to this point. Perhaps that changes with more playing time and another summer of development. Issue may be resolved in free agency.

Simply interested in opinions from the draft gurus about centers. But BPA should always be the goal. I wouldn’t complain if they could draft a gem of a dynamic backup PG either. 😀
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject:

It’s early on me watching tape but so far I like Jacob Evans out of Cincinnati. He seems to do everything well. Junior year player fits the mold of a guy the lakers have been targeting in the draft the last couple of years

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
It’s early on me watching tape but so far I like Jacob Evans out of Cincinnati. He seems to do everything well. Junior year player fits the mold of a guy the lakers have been targeting in the draft the last couple of years

Good find, from one highlight vid he looks nice. Good size with some offensive skills on top of shooting. Interested to know his defensive motor.. Kinda looks like a "too cool" guy so idk if that defensive motor is high
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 41 of 494
Jump to: