Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 472, 473, 474 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
al242 wrote:
Quote:
Lakers officially informed LiAngelo Ball he will not be on their Summer League team last night. They were determined to make this a basketball decision but as one source put it, “obviously there’s more to it than basketball.” In other words— the LaVar effect was real.

I hope this is a wake up call for Lonzo, he will be traded if he still sucks next year.

Quote:

but as one source put it, “obviously there’s more to it than basketball.” In other words— the LaVar effect was real.

Why would somebody from the organization add that comment/reason?

I don't think that a shot like that at LaVar is going to get him to stop and consider changing his ways.

This is either a direct shot at Lavar or Lonzo. I dont get the vibe that Lonzo works as hard as he should, he spends too much time promoting his rap career rather than being in the gym. It also could be a direct shot at Lavar that the Lakers have exhausted all their patience with him, and want no further ties with the Ball family. More than likely it is the latter.

Sounds like you believe what you want to believe. It's already been reported that Lonzo has been focusing on strength training and has been spending time watching film with Magic. Now that his knee is right, he's back on the court working on his ballhandling.
Flatlyner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

Loved Mo in the tourney, can definitely see a fit for him here. I was slightly disappointed in where we drafted him as I was hoping for Melton (or several others here) and thought we might have been able to get him at 39. That said, I'm not mad at it. He can do what Lopez did for us last year at a LOT cheaper. I see some Love in his game, honestly.

Love the Svi pick and Bonga looks to have some very intriguing skills that we can stash.
jonickell25
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Little disappointed in people's takes on our draft. Obviously the focus was on shooting. Wagner is an almost 7 foot sniper. Can put the ball on the floor...and despite what someone else said who must not have watched Wagner, he does have nice post moves. When drafting at 47 you are looking for at least one NBA translatable skill. With Svi, you get an elite NBA skill...shooting. This guy can flat shoot. Cheer up Laker fans, these are just pieces to the puzzle. As for Bonga, cannot be upset with this. Some of us wanted Simons, Robinson or Williams. Upside picks. Bonga has a ton of upside.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

Lonzo- can't shoot
Julius- can't shoot
BI- meh

Everyone went into the summer saying let's add 2 max players, shooters, and ring chasing vets. We got shooters and people are upset? Not only shooters, but Moe has really good footwork a good IQ, passing instincts out of the high post, and range.

I see a slower/bigger version of Kyle Kuzma. I mean how many 7 footers can put the ball behind their backs and drop a player on a drive to the basket?

Kid has skills. Now let's go add PG/LeBron and veteran ring chasers
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

I was rapping with a fellow poster after the draft and my take was similar to some of Omar's thoughts (Oh, indeeed...). They seemed to cover all bases. They got numerous 3-4 year collegiates, powerhouse school picks, addressed woeful team shooting, mostly took guys with skills that are probably quickly translatable over raw potential, guys who would by the nature of their games compliment a signee like Brawn, and they even stashed a high upside foreign project a la Spurs. It's obvious they used whatever rubric they use to assess their buzzwords "character" and "winners/competitors". Wagner and Svi played in a lot of big conf and tourney games. Both scrappy and/or good personas. Wagner talks of loving the sport and etc etc. Both gave the standard, "Can't wait, blessed to be Lakers" talk. Had this been another year, maybe they go for projects, but then again, maybe not. Maginka and/or Jesse Buss seem to fancy big school, cable ready character guys a la Hart at 25+.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

Kyle Kuzma three quarter sprint 3.25

Mo Wagner three quarter sprint 3.18

Not that slow.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

Hawks GM: Didn't trade up from 19th pick because of media projections

Quote:
When Atlanta Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk found out whom other teams were planning on drafting and that he'd be able to select Kevin Huerter with the 19th overall pick, there was no need to trade up to get the Maryland guard.

Schlenk told 95.7 The Game in San Francisco on Friday that he had a deal in place to acquire the No. 17 pick from the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for a draft pick, but he never had to make that deal because the media were projecting picks on Twitter.

Schlenk was talking about how leaks to the media make his job more difficult, but he said that a leaked report worked to his advantage during the draft.

"Last night, for instance, we had the 19th pick, and we're coming down and we're actually talking to Milwaukee on the 17th pick, talking about trading up to get a guy we like," Schlenk said. "There's were a couple of guys we felt really good about on the 19th pick, obviously Kevin [Huerter] was one of them, and it leaked who Milwaukee was going to take.

"So, all of a sudden, we were able to pull back out of that deal and keep the draft pick instead of packaging picks to move up because we knew that, two guys on the board we felt really good about and only one team in between us, so that was beneficial to us last night."

The Bucks took Villanova guard Donte DiVincenzo with the 17th pick.

During Thursday's draft, various media reports, including ESPN, projected picks before they were officially announced.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

Robert Williams admits oversleeping introductory conference call with Celtics

Quote:
Robert Williams, the Boston Celtics' first-round selection in the 2018 draft, admitted he overslept the team's originally scheduled introductory conference call on Friday morning, although the team believes it was simply a miscommunication compounded by different time zones.

The Celtics snagged Williams with the No. 27 pick but ran into troubles trying to get him on the phone in the aftermath of the selection, including with Friday's 11 a.m. EST call.

"Right after the draft, I actually ran to my aunt's house and went to sleep because I was so tired from everything," Williams said Friday afternoon in a call that took place an hour later than originally scheduled. "When I woke up, my sister woke me up, she said, 'You have a conference call.'"

Williams later noted that it was, "a good night's sleep after a busy two days."

The Celtics were not concerned about the missed call, in part because of the time difference. Poor audio hindered the follow-up call as Williams' phone broke up repeatedly while answering questions during a 10-minute session with reporters.

The Celtics plan to formally introduce Williams next Friday in Boston.

Williams, an athletic 6-foot-10 big man out of Texas A&M, was ranked No. 12 on ESPN's final predraft big board, but there were concerns about both a knee injury and his approach to the game. Missing the initial call, accidental or otherwise, did not seemingly help dispel some of those concerns as social media had a field day with his absence.

The Celtics were deemed one of the night's winners after Williams slid to them. Williams seems to already have motivation from those that doubt him, especially after falling in the first round.

"You always have people that doubt you," said Williams. "I know that I'm definitely going to make a lot of noise when I get there."

Some wondered if Williams hurt his stock by returning for a sophomore season with the Aggies, but he said he does not second-guess his decision.

"Definitely no regrets," said Williams. "I definitely feel like everything happens for a reason."
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

All i know is nbadraft.net is usually SPOT on. More than any other mock i've seen over the last couple of years. They had Mo at 30 and I'm sure he would have been gone before we picked again at 39. This reminds me of the Nance draft wherein nance was slated to go in the 30's and we took him in the first round. The more i see Mo highlights the more I like his fit with the team. We need to keep building with "good" hard working guys. He seems to be just that.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

How do you properly pronounce his name?

Wagner or Vagner?
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Wagner or Vagner?

I believe it's the latter.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

GonzagaAlum wrote:
The Lakers passed on someone with elite defensive potential for a guy who has role player offensive potential with their first pick. I guess the disappointment for me is deal the pick at that point. I love both second rounders though and in my opinion ion the two way contract with Newman would have been someone who they could have grabbed at 39 and I’d still have been happy. So in the 2nd round and FA I grade the draft an A. I just don’t like the Moe pick because it was cautious when they could have rolled the dice on Williams.

They passed on BPA to draft Slava Medvedenko 2.0 and Kareem Rush 2.0 .
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

People who don’t like this pick are people who dogmatically believe that you ALWAYS take best player available.

He wasn’t the “best” player available. There will be guys drafted after him with bigger roles who score more points, and that’s cool.

The Lakers, a team on the precipice of landing “Jordan and Pippen”, didn’t need the “best” player. They needed the guy who would fit best with their new franchise players and fit best on a team depraved of shooting.

Hypothetically speaking, imagine the Bulls being faced with decision to draft Kevin Johnson or Steve Kerr. KJ is the better player by leaps and bounds, but Kerr, obviously, makes the TEAM better. Why? Because balance, chemistry, and fit are real things, and drafting the “best” guy, sorry to break it to some of you, isn’t always the proper strategy.

The Lakers, very clearly, are team building, and contrary to popular belief, you CAN do that through the draft. The draft isn’t relegated to simply collecting shiny toys and assets.

The Lakers used the draft to construct the best team. Deal with it.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

Mike Trudell wrote:

Pelinka was asked about the reported additional 2nd round pick: “We are in discussions with another team, but because of the moratorium that doesn’t end until July 6, we can’t really talk specifically about that.”

Jun 22, 2018ReplyRetweetFavorite

Hopefully all of those picks were made for another team .
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Wagner or Vagner?

All the German Americans who came here call themselves Wagner like wag the dog... but OG Germans will always say Vagner.

So since he's born over there he will say the German pronunciation.

Maybe his kids will say "Wag"ner or his grandchildren if he ends up settling here.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

We have enough projects. We need shooters.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

The Lowe post reminded me the Suns got back their pick that we have hem in the Steve Nash trade! Too funny.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Wagner or Vagner?

Correct, the W in German sounds like the V in English.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:
The Lakers passed on someone with elite defensive potential for a guy who has role player offensive potential with their first pick. I guess the disappointment for me is deal the pick at that point. I love both second rounders though and in my opinion ion the two way contract with Newman would have been someone who they could have grabbed at 39 and I’d still have been happy. So in the 2nd round and FA I grade the draft an A. I just don’t like the Moe pick because it was cautious when they could have rolled the dice on Williams.

It's hot takes like these that absolutely convince me that just because some posters have been on these boards longer than others does not actually equal more basketball knowledge than some average joe who has one post and a 2018 join date.
Dribble pass shoot ring a bell?
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:

Name the BPA at 25 and 47.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Wagner or Vagner?

Correct, the W in German sounds like the V in English.

And the a is drawn out. Vahgner is how it sounds
christopherorman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Like the composer. Hopefully he likes the smell of napalm in the morning too. Yeah, I'm rocking nerdy clichés.

Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Wagner or Vagner?

Ryan Kelly
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
al242 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
al242 wrote:
Quote:
Lakers officially informed LiAngelo Ball he will not be on their Summer League team last night. They were determined to make this a basketball decision but as one source put it, “obviously there’s more to it than basketball.” In other words— the LaVar effect was real.

I hope this is a wake up call for Lonzo, he will be traded if he still sucks next year.

Quote:

but as one source put it, “obviously there’s more to it than basketball.” In other words— the LaVar effect was real.

Why would somebody from the organization add that comment/reason?

I don't think that a shot like that at LaVar is going to get him to stop and consider changing his ways.

This is either a direct shot at Lavar or Lonzo. I dont get the vibe that Lonzo works as hard as he should, he spends too much time promoting his rap career rather than being in the gym. It also could be a direct shot at Lavar that the Lakers have exhausted all their patience with him, and want no further ties with the Ball family. More than likely it is the latter.

Sounds like you believe what you want to believe. It's already been reported that Lonzo has been focusing on strength training and has been spending time watching film with Magic. Now that his knee is right, he's back on the court working on his ballhandling.

This^^^

Ball is putting in work dude is not lazy at all. His dad is just a loud mouth, so everyone wants to punish his kids for it.

LiAnglo should have stayed in College , the kid was a good ball player but not NBA level. He got hustled by his dad. No way he was ever playing in the NBA

Last edited by noahp45 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Kirby Brian wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Wagner or Vagner?

Ryan Kelly

Ryan Kelly wasn't nearly as athletic or have the offensive skill set like Mo
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 472, 473, 474 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 473 of 494
Jump to: