Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 479, 480, 481 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

still a couple undrafted guys I have yet to hear have signed....Rob should grab one or two.....Billy Preston, Ajdin Penava and Malik Pope....
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
My thought:

1. It is obvious Lakers was drafting for fit rather than BPA. This is usually the strategy for contending team, so it shows how our front office is confident signing two max free agents.

2. I still think plan A was to trade up or send Deng away with the picks. I am disappointed that neither of that happened. The free agency market doesn't have many good quality PG and it would be great if we could get Holiday on the second unit. Personally, I think trading a pick that is so far ahead is a risky move and now if we have to attach 2 1st round picks to facilitate a Deng trade, it has to be 2021. Not saying I don't like Wagner, it is just I would prefer something else happened.

What threw me off is the goal magic / rob stated last year, hi IQ, 2 way players...sounds like we got 2/3 of that with Mo. Im wondering if not selecting someone who can 3 and d (and smart) was just a function of possibly the draft not being as deep this year for those type of players (which arguably you can never have enough of) or perhaps it is just that there was someone like that but they valued mo's shooting much greater....for perhaps this fit concept.

Either way, even if he is say a 40% 3 point guy...if he ends up being a stiff on d are we really better than getting the 2 way player?

I won't pretend to know more than others here who followed draft prospects diligently, and I'll support what the FO is doing here, but this draft did seem to divert from their vision they put forth last year.

Which two way player are you refering to?

I have as much doubt with this pick as you do but I think the front office is already building a team for LBJ and PG13. There isn't another stretch 5 on the market besides Lopez and I don't think he will take room exception.

That's one of the questions I was asking, was there a 2 way guy left that we passed up on, or was there none left? I wasn't sure and did not spend nearly the time some of the draft gurus here did to analyze it.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Wagner isn't Cook.
Svi isn't Sasha.

But there is a strong connection with this draft. Did we pass up athletic guards for those guys? Yep.

That's what I was getting at. The drafting of Wagner and Svi is similar to the drafting of Cook and Sasha. And both Cook and Sasha were garbage despite playing in the league for as long as they did. Lakers can ill afford to make those kinds of mistakes again. I think Wagner and Svi will be better as pros than those two though. However, if Wagner's idea of defense is standing still like a statue hoping the opponent can't resist running him over or if Svi's idea of defense is flopping and flailing and then whining to the refs, then my previous statement goes out the window.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Wagner isn't Cook.
Svi isn't Sasha.

But there is a strong connection with this draft. Did we pass up athletic guards for those guys? Yep.

That's what I was getting at. The drafting of Wagner and Svi is similar to the drafting of Cook and Sasha. And both Cook and Sasha were garbage despite playing in the league for as long as they did. Lakers can ill afford to make those kinds of mistakes again. I think Wagner and Svi will be better as pros than those two though. However, if Wagner's idea of defense is standing still like a statue hoping the opponent can't resist running him over or if Svi's idea of defense is flopping and flailing and then whining to the refs, then my previous statement goes out the window.

I remember all the mixtapes of a 16 year old Svi playing against world competition and dominating in europe- dunking, alley ooping with ease but it seemed like the Kansas system stymied a lot of that although his shooting improved. I recall Svi's style in the system he played in was similar to Lonzo's strengths: ball movement, easy baskets, good shooting (zo's ucla teammates). I think hart would be the starting 2 if we didn't get any of the max plan guys but Svi with zo would be a lot more effective on Offense than Zo with hart.
But zo and hart on D would be far superior.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

Svi still has a nice handle , hope more of his game flourishes in the league
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Reading the immediate reaction of Wagner being drafted (from page 424-428) is absolutely comical (and disappointing). It just goes to show you how programmed we men are into being emotional, fanatical shrills. What happened to the days when men measured their thoughts before speaking.

I’m sorry. Carry on.

I liked you better when you were stoic and beat your wife with a flinty gazed resolve.

Without tears.

Have a lot of respect for you as a poster BVH...

This is over the line and apology worthy.

I thought the gender essentialism and veiled misogyny deserved it. No?

I appreciate your respect, though. Right back at you.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Reading the immediate reaction of Wagner being drafted (from page 424-428) is absolutely comical (and disappointing). It just goes to show you how programmed we men are into being emotional, fanatical shrills. What happened to the days when men measured their thoughts before speaking.

I’m sorry. Carry on.

I liked you better when you were stoic and beat your wife with a flinty gazed resolve.

Without tears.

Beat your wife...way too much dawg

#BannersOverBillboards
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
still a couple undrafted guys I have yet to hear have signed....Rob should grab one or two.....Billy Preston, Ajdin Penava and Malik Pope....

What happened with Alkins?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Wagner isn't Cook.
Svi isn't Sasha.

If Svi is better than Sasha, how is that a mistake? What are your expectations for the 47th pick in the draft?

What's next? Are you going to tell us that some of our UDFA signings were mistakes as well?

Svi was 13 picks away from being an UDFA.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I’m sorry. Carry on.

Without tears.

Why'd he beat his wife?

Because we drafted Mo?

That's sad.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/6/22/17495252/nba-rumors-la-lakers-johnathan-williams-gonzaga-summer-league-roster

This guy any good?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/6/22/17495252/nba-rumors-la-lakers-johnathan-williams-gonzaga-summer-league-roster

This guy any good?

Unranked on Johnathan Givony’s list of the top-100 prospects in the 2018 NBA Draft

Wonder where Gelo was ranked?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I’m sorry. Carry on.

Without tears.

Why'd he beat his wife?

Because we drafted Mo?

That's sad.

The question hasn't been asked: Has he stopped beating his wife?
Then google: loaded question.

Last edited by epak on Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I’m sorry. Carry on.

Without tears.

Why'd he beat his wife?

Because we drafted Mo?

That's sad.

And criminal!
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Wagner isn't Cook.
Svi isn't Sasha.

If Svi is better than Sasha, how is that a mistake? What are your expectations for the 47th pick in the draft?

What's next? Are you going to tell us that some of our UDFA signings were mistakes as well?

Svi was 13 picks away from being an UDFA.

No, I don't think Svi at 47 is a mistake. It's in line with where he was projected and probably a good value pick. I can understand Svi and Mo since they killed it in their workouts and fit the kind of culture they want to build.

I'm saying mistake as in drafting for need in just one particular area. Cook and Sasha were mistakes because better talented players with higher ceilings were available. The Lakers' title window could have been lengthened with other players.

I'm hoping that the Lakers aren't following that same pattern. I don't think they are but these guys don't appear to have that much higher of a ceiling to achieve. And that's fine as long as they fit their roles on the team.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I woke up this morning.....and it felt like one of those mornings where something bad happened the previous day, and you realize it was not just a bad dream. Yeah, I am not happy about our draft. I feel like the FO must see an entirely different NBA than the one I have watched evolve in recent years. The most valuable players/assets in the NBA are 2 Way perimeter players, and we finished the night adding zero....when we could have added 3 with that potential.

I think adkindo is right. I think the Laker FO has a different viewpoint on the NBA than what most other NBA executives/scouts and fans have. In some respects, that different viewpoint **may** be what is helping the Lakers draft so well with later draft picks. If the FO is evaluating players in the same way as everyone else--and that process is correct--the 27th pick will yield the 27th best player. It is through considering prospective players through different lenses than everyone else that creates additional value-and helped the Lakers net Kuzma with the 27th pick. In the last few years, the Lakers have generally done reasonably well with later draft picks; thus, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Once they regress to the mean, however, I will be as grouchy as everyone else. Magic and Pelinka are, unlike myself and most fans, paid a heck of a lot of money to get it right.

Chronicle wrote:
Everyone's gonna love wagner when summer league starts

This is my hope. I hate it when I am wrong.

--Anonymous
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Preston to Cavs.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Preston to Cavs.

damn...he may actually be more talented than Sexton.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I’m sorry. Carry on.

Without tears.

Baron, I reviewed and reviewed Lonzo's shot and I admit you are correct. That is a jump shot. My hard head sometimes gets in the way of reason.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
70sdude wrote:
I was a little surprised to see Wagner selected. Looks a little heavy-footed, awkward. I'd thought the Lakers had a finer array of big man talent on hand compared to what they appeared to have in small guys (under 6'7"). I assumed a small guy was being sought.

Be it far from me to understand the club's preferences for risk in the free agent market, let alone the tactical nuances of managing cap space with regard to keeping Randle, hanging on to Bryant and Zubac, or bringing Brook back for an encore campaign.

Oh well, I'm in wait-and-see mode with this pick. Just how agile this kid really can be is yet to be seen - I guess.

Don't see this kid as heavy footed. In fact, he was impressive in the combine

https://twitter.com/DefPenHoops/status/997598256069832705/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diehardsport.com%2Fnba%2Fmoe-wanger-flying-up-draft-boards-after-putting-up-impressive-combine-numbers%2F

He never be a shot blocker, but the best we can hope is active switching on defense with some strength through Gunner's plan so he can keep a body on the better centers in the league.

We just replayed the NCAA championship game. Confirmed what I felt about him on court. He's high energy alright and gives great interview, but he flops around awkwardly a lot. Against college talent. He wasn't quick or agile at all, even considering he played at 250-ish pounds. I don't see guys as slow as him playing in NBA games very often - maybe one actually, but that guy is unusual (Z-Bo.) I guess for a late second round pick, there's not much value at risk here - oh wait, he was pick #25.

Eeesh.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

This guy any good?

Unranked on Johnathan Givony’s list of the top-100 prospects in the 2018 NBA Draft

Gelo is not an nba player or someone would have selected or chased him shortly after.

He's a by product of his father big mouth.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

This guy any good?

Probably a camp dude but sometimes those guys surprise. Always
wish those guys the best.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

This guy any good?

Gelo is not an nba player or someone would have selected or chased him shortly after.

He's a by product of his father big mouth.

Yeah, just wonder where he actually ranks as a prospect.

Top 300?

Top 1,000?
jonickell25
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/SeanCunningham/status/1010713612132839424?s=19

Malik Pope to play on Lakers summer league squad
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

You got your wish.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 479, 480, 481 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 480 of 494
Jump to: