Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 491, 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
I’m okay without Milton. We have Hart, Kcp, BI, and Svi who can all play the two. Svi is a sniper who does more than just shoot.

Melton would be a combo-guard and cheap.

Isn’t that Hart?

Where would his minutes come from?

Where are Bonga's minutes coming from?

Bonga's not gettimg minutes. He's barely an 18 yr old project.

I don't think it's a wise draft if we're basing it if a guy gets minutes or not. I mean, we hid Thomas Bryant practically all season. Zubac too.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
I’m okay without Milton. We have Hart, Kcp, BI, and Svi who can all play the two. Svi is a sniper who does more than just shoot.

Isn’t that Hart?

Does that even matter?

Minutes weren't an issue until Stephenson got signed, as if he should be getting a lot of PT anyway.

Lance’s argument is he is a vet that you can lean on in the playoffs. Bonga isn’t getting any PT, he’s a project.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Isn’t that Hart?

Does that even matter?

Minutes weren't an issue until Stephenson got signed, as if he should be getting a lot of PT anyway.

Lance’s argument is he is a vet that you can lean on in the playoffs. Bonga isn’t getting any PT, he’s a project.

Well, that's my problem with drafting Bonga.

It's not a problem if it's another 2nd rounder. There were roughly a handful of guys at that 2nd round pick that could contribute *something* during the playoffs.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Isn’t that Hart?

Come on BVH. You need to give it a rest.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Isn’t that Hart?

Does that even matter?

It's not a problem if it's another 2nd rounder. There were roughly a handful of guys at that 2nd round pick that could contribute *something* during the playoffs.

I hear what you are saying, seems we didn’t draft BPA available here. Perhaps it’s a player you want to put in a trade? Is it someone the Spurs would like?

If you put yourself in the Lakers shoes and play Devil’s advocate, what would your best guess be?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

If you can successfully overhaul his jumper in th next 2 years , with the shooting coach we’re supposedly hiring.. then it’s a very good pick. If you can’t fix his shooting..I’m not high on it —- but maybe he’s Livingston then..idk
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Isn’t that Hart?

give what a rest? 2018 Draft Thread....Svi, Melton, and Bonga all part of the 2018 NBA draft.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Isn’t that Hart?

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
If you can successfully overhaul his jumper in th next 2 years , with the shooting coach we’re supposedly hiring.. then it’s a very good pick. If you can’t fix his shooting..I’m not high on it —- but maybe he’s Livingston then..idk

did you read or hear this somewhere?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Bonga or Melton? (I assume Bonga, just clarifying).
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

During the season they said they would for this year. It was a juicy talking point because Magic said that Luke told them it wasn’t needed - and Magic seemed a bit disappointed, and insisted they’d hire one this year
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

This is about Bonga. Melton’s new jumper is legit and I liked the form when clips came out a couple months ago ..I would have preferred Melton. In 2019 he’s going to be a legit good rotation piece
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Isn’t that Hart?

give what a rest? 2018 Draft Thread....Svi, Melton, and Bonga all part of the 2018 NBA draft.

The poster made a simple statement about Melton. Why not answer the posters question? Because he knows Melton would not see the court much if at all this season.

Hard to swallow sometimes but that's the way I see it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

During the season they said they would for this year. It was a juicy talking point because Magic said that Luke told them it wasn’t needed - and Magic seemed a bit disappointed, and insisted they’d hire one this year

it's needed...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

This is about Bonga. Melton’s new jumper is legit and I liked the form when clips came out a couple months ago ..I would have preferred Melton. In 2019 he’s going to be a legit good rotation piece

Gotcha. I legit like Bonga, but with the opportunity cost of limited picks, Melton seems clearly better short-term and even long-term when talking peak upside.

I'm having trouble thinking of a Bonga comp. Livingston was clearly better at everything by age and was the better athlete pre-injury.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Isn’t that Hart?

The poster made a simple statement about Melton. Why not answer the posters question? Because he knows Melton would not see the court much if at all this season.

I just prefer to stuff the roster with as much talent and players that can contribute as possible....it is a long season, never know what will happen....but I do recall starting Caruso a lot last season....and guys like GPII getting playing time....and Hart having to play the #3 because of injuries, players waived, etc.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Isn’t that Hart?

Does that even matter?

I hear what you are saying, seems we didn’t draft BPA available here. Perhaps it’s a player you want to put in a trade? Is it someone the Spurs would like?

If you put yourself in the Lakers shoes and play Devil’s advocate, what would your best guess be?

I mean, I've tried to think of what the best case scenario is, but unless you think Bonga is going to be the better playmaking Giannis, but smaller, I can't validate the pick. It's not just Melton either. Even Mitchell Robinson is legit at this pick. Bruce Brown. Jarred Vanderbilt does similar stuff like Bonga, just as young, but, better. (less healthy). KBD. Alize Johnson. The only guy of this group I'd pick 1st round is Melton, but mid 2nd? All these dudes are legit.

justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
Melton is averaging a team-high 16.5 points per game, to go along with 6.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 2.8 steals. "I didn’t think he can shoot; he can really shoot," D’Antoni said of Melton. "Now we all know, there’s summer league, there’s the preseason and there’s the regular season. You have to make three jumps. He made one jump, so we’ll see. He’s got good composure, plays good defense, has a good skill set, good instincts for the ball. There’s a lot of good positives."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-see-signs-of-growth-from-young-players-in-13070496.php

Damn.

Whoops lol

Next draft Lakers should draft the athletic 2 way guard who I have large reservations about. He'll probably be a star

Are there any guys in the 2019 draft who look like they might underwhelm me? I'm starting my big board early.

I usually wait until the first month of the college season, but I think Ja Morant and Michael Weathers could be good bets for underrated stat sheet stuffing guards.

Thanks, I'm already skeptical.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I mean, I've tried to think of what the best case scenario is, but unless you think Bonga is going to be the better playmaking Giannis, but smaller, I can't validate the pick. It's not just Melton either. Even Mitchell Robinson is legit at this pick. Bruce Brown. Jarred Vanderbilt does similar stuff like Bonga, just as young, but, better. (less healthy). KBD. Alize Johnson. The only guy of this group I'd pick 1st round is Melton, but mid 2nd? All these dudes are legit.

Robinson was off the board....but come on Mike....you do not think Robinson demonstrated 1st Round talent/abilities in summer league?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

@BVH....thoughts on Svi compared to Huerter?

I'm not BVH, but thought I'd chime in -

Shortly before the draft when we were hearing Svi tore it up, I was starting to think he might be a poor man's version of Huerter. I think we got a discount Huerter but they're not totally comparable in my eyes.

The big difference to me is Huerter's definitely a better or more natural playmaker which was my favorite aspect of his game in tandem with his insane shooting. Svi actually looks like he might have a quicker shot release. Svi's a bit taller. Having a 6'8" guy who can shoot the way he does... I really overlooked him pre-draft.

Huerter's craftier, like BVH said I trust his ability to score at the rim a bit more. I might trust Svi's handle more than Huerter's.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Gotcha. I legit like Bonga, but with the opportunity cost of limited picks, Melton seems clearly better short-term and even long-term when talking peak upside.

I'm having trouble thinking of a Bonga comp. Livingston was clearly better at everything by age and was the better athlete pre-injury.

He clearly was and that was why he was a lottery pick drafted 4th...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

Isn’t that Hart?

It's a rhetorical device to save me time and hopefully shock the poster to his/her senses.

Melton could have been the second or third best defender on the Lakers as a rookie (behind Ball and possibly McGee). Walton should get a guy like that minutes off the bench at one of the guard spots.

Like Bonga, who cares if Melton's rookie year minutes would be limited if in the long-run he provided a consistent positive impact? Svi might not also get many minutes this season, but if Hart can replace KCP and SVi replace Hart in 2019, how much money have the Lakers saved over retaining KCP? Similarly, if Melton could develop as a backup PG (in a Patrick Beverley fashion), how much money could the Lakers save over paying to retain Rondo or add a vet backup?

Obviously this is all dependent on any 2nd round picks becoming credible NBA rotation players. But hopefully that answered your question and is seen as completely unnecessary, obvious elicidation of what should've been self-evident.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
Melton is averaging a team-high 16.5 points per game, to go along with 6.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 2.8 steals. "I didn’t think he can shoot; he can really shoot," D’Antoni said of Melton. "Now we all know, there’s summer league, there’s the preseason and there’s the regular season. You have to make three jumps. He made one jump, so we’ll see. He’s got good composure, plays good defense, has a good skill set, good instincts for the ball. There’s a lot of good positives."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-see-signs-of-growth-from-young-players-in-13070496.php

Damn.

Whoops lol

Next draft Lakers should draft the athletic 2 way guard who I have large reservations about. He'll probably be a star

Are there any guys in the 2019 draft who look like they might underwhelm me? I'm starting my big board early.

I usually wait until the first month of the college season, but I think Ja Morant and Michael Weathers could be good bets for underrated stat sheet stuffing guards.

Thanks, I'm already skeptical.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

He clearly was and that was why he was a lottery pick drafted 4th...

Touché
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:

@BVH....thoughts on Svi compared to Huerter?

I'm not BVH, but thought I'd chime in -

Shortly before the draft when we were hearing Svi tore it up, I was starting to think he might be a poor man's version of Huerter. I think we got a discount Huerter but they're not totally comparable in my eyes.

The big difference to me is Huerter's definitely a better or more natural playmaker which was my favorite aspect of his game in tandem with his insane shooting. Svi actually looks like he might have a quicker shot release. Svi's a bit taller. Having a 6'8" guy who can shoot the way he does... I really overlooked him pre-draft.

Huerter's craftier, like BVH said I trust his ability to score at the rim a bit more. I might trust Svi's handle more than Huerter's.

no, no, no....I said BVH! Just kidding! seems like logical comparisons....I liked Svi as a shooter in the draft, but I have been surprised how much more there has been to his game. I never saw that handle in college....also his release off movement seems quicker than it did in college....and he moves his feet on defense better than I expected.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 491, 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 492 of 494
Jump to: