Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
epak wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
I want Shake Milton if he is available on the second round.

Agree.
Having a down year so far as a junior.
But man. A defender who can make plays at times and hit from deep as a running mate with Lonzo. Would be a nice future backcourt.

He's playing as a top offensive option and doesn't have the athleticism to compensate.

But I'm not going to ignore a guy with 6'6"/7' wingspan, PG experience (no matter how limited), and last year's 91st percentile on catch and shoot.

He's not a top offensive option. But his role is to shoot and be a versatile defender.

He's arguable BPA and fit at the Laker pick, if he's available.

Plus one of the best names in the draft.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
epak wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
I want Shake Milton if he is available on the second round.

Agree.
Having a down year so far as a junior.
But man. A defender who can make plays at times and hit from deep as a running mate with Lonzo. Would be a nice future backcourt.

He's playing as a top offensive option and doesn't have the athleticism to compensate.

But I'm not going to ignore a guy with 6'6"/7' wingspan, PG experience (no matter how limited), and last year's 91st percentile on catch and shoot.

He's not a top offensive option. But his role is to shoot and be a versatile defender.

He's arguable BPA and fit at the Laker pick, if he's available.

Plus one of the best names in the draft.

If he lived up to his name, he would be lottery.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Haven't been following this thread much, but just curious, with a 2nd round pick (and maybe a 1st if we shake things up before June), what is the priority for us here? We really have a plethora of prospects/projects at every position, are we just looking to a best fit player to see if he's a better prospect than the ones we have? (hart, zu, tb, alex). Is there a concern of having too much young guys on the roster?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
IMO luka doncic, lonnie walker, mikal bridges, trae young, and marvin bagley will end up the top 5 whether they're consensus draft value top 5 or not and landry shamet should be lotto even if he's not valued there.

Trae Young's body, and more importantly the potential of his frame, will cause him to go lower in my opinion.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
IMO luka doncic, lonnie walker, mikal bridges, trae young, and marvin bagley will end up the top 5 whether they're consensus draft value top 5 or not and landry shamet should be lotto even if he's not valued there.

Trae Young's body, and more importantly the potential of his frame, will cause him to go lower in my opinion.

ya I'm not saying they will be drafted top 5. I'm saying they will end up top 5 in the class.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Haven't been following this thread much, but just curious, with a 2nd round pick (and maybe a 1st if we shake things up before June), what is the priority for us here? We really have a plethora of prospects/projects at every position, are we just looking to a best fit player to see if he's a better prospect than the ones we have? (hart, zu, tb, alex). Is there a concern of having too much young guys on the roster?

Just looking for a guy with at least 1 NBA level skill, preferably with enough athleticism and size to compete at both ends.

AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Remember the hype about the 6'10" PF from SDSU who was supposed to be the next Durant. Maybe we'll finally draft him after 3 years of return to school. 😜
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Trae Young with 21 Points / 4 Rebounds / 7 Assists....in the 1st Half @ #3 Wichita State!
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Trae Young with 21 Points / 4 Rebounds / 7 Assists....in the 1st Half @ #3 Wichita State!

i don't care about body or athleticism or defense this guy's skill level is absolutely historic. only guy you can take over him is doncic imo. kid is bombing from nba range with ease and shooting historic percentages.

https://www.thestepien.com/2017/12/11/can-trae-young-generational-shooter/
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

i don't care about body or athleticism or defense this guy's skill level is absolutely historic. only guy you can take over him is doncic imo. kid is bombing from nba range with ease and shooting historic percentages.

This is why I wish we kept our pick this year. I could see guys like Young falling to where we'd be picking.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Thoughts on Andrew Jones? I liked him last year, not caught up on his sophomore season
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Trae Young is a top 5 talent.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

I noticed NBADraft.net has us taking PG Jaylen Adams of St. Bonaventure in the 2nd Round. I know this means nothing in December, and the site is not the best....but Adams would be an interesting addition. I watched him some last season....and he was out for the first handful of games this season...but since returning, he is shooting the crap out of the ball from distance.....43% FG%, 52% 3FG%, 91% FT% for 18.2 PPG / 4.3 RPG / 5.2 APG.

@ Cuse Highlights
Ruddog89
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

This is why I wish we kept our pick this year. I could see guys like Young falling to where we'd be picking.

Just like Steph Curry fell in the draft because experts thought he didn't have enough upside or the body for NBA. Same with Trae. He looks like Curry 2.0. I think he'll fall in the top 7. Curry was 8 IIRC.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Ruddog89 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Just like Steph Curry fell in the draft because experts thought he didn't have enough upside or the body for NBA. Same with Trae. He looks like Curry 2.0. I think he'll fall in the top 7. Curry was 8 IIRC.

going to Davidson did not help with confidence in Curry also....Trae Young will be playing in the deepest Power 5 conference in the country....if he performs in conference play, that should provide more confidence for scouts.

Circle January 6th on the calendar....Oklahoma plays @ Home against WVU (ESPN2), and Young will be defended by Jevon Carter. If he puts up 20+ Points and 8+ Assists on that night....that will go a long way for me to have confidence in him as a Top 5 lottery talent.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:

It kinda depends on who is not coming back. We might want to go guard if KCP and Clarkson are gone. Shooting is a must for any guard prospect we are looking at.

IMO our main weakness at this point is an athletic rim protector. Jules does not have the length. Zu is not that athletic. Big Mamba is also not very athletic, but dang he is long. We need someone who can go out and defend the Embiids, Porzingis and AD's out there. With a second round pick we will be looking at a long term project.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

There's a lot I need to catch up on with college basketball and in the draft thread, but with conference play starting shortly, there should be a lot more to discuss.

A guy I'd love the Lakers to land is junior Jacob Evans III, a 6'6 210 G/F (no wingspan info yet) who fits the 3&D archetype. He likely won't last long at the top of the second round, so it might behoove the Lakers to try to use cash or future draft assets to try and move up to nab him.

Like Josh Hart, he's bull strong and a tenacious defender - has averaged almost 3 stocks per40 for his career - with switchability upside. He's a career .386 shooter on 6.3 3PAs per40 who should be ready from day one as a C&S threat. He's mostly a straight-line driver who uses his strength to finish at the rim, but he has a competent handle for a wing, using hang dribbles and a basic crossover to free himself up for pull-up midrange jumpers. His turnovers are up a bit to start this season as he's trying to create more for teammates, but typically he's been a solid, unspectacular decisionmaker who has posted a very respectable near 2:1 ATR for his career.

Stats: link

Sophomore season highlights: link

DraftExpress breakdown: link

Recent highlights against Mississippi State: link
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm still on the Chandler Hutchinson boat, but he may creep into late 1st.

Slasher/switchable wing D

1. Aggressive attacking hoop. Shows in halfcourt situations.
2. 1a level attacking basket, Eurostep/in-out dribble, right hand dominant
3. NBA level size/athleticism, listed at 190, looks stronger
4. Local kid.
5. Near 30% assist rate
6. Rebound rate 17%
7. 51%FTr

Opportunities
1. Average 3-ball on limited opportunities (nearly 3 per game)
2. Getting away with size/strength/athleticism combination in his conference
3. 18% TO rate
4. Not a ball-mover. It may be the Boise St. offense. He knows he's the #1 option, so he pounds away for a bit before passing back out.

The issues are glaring, but they're also the reason why he may actually be available in the mid-2nd round. I will gladly take an NBA level athlete that's aggressive, has some degree of ball-handling, and contributes with some passing/rebounding; then hone in on shooting/ball-movement later.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Ruddog89 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Trae Young as a freshman is already >> Stephen Curry during his junior year. Curry began his PG skills/role for Davidson ONLY his junior year.

Being on Davidson DID NOT hurt his confidence one bit. That team WRECKED during the tournament for back to back years.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Being on Davidson DID NOT hurt his confidence one bit. That team WRECKED during the tournament for back to back years.

you misunderstood the statement....no one claimed it hurt Curry's confidence in himself.

Also, what years did Steph Curry's Davidson "WRECK" in the tournament in back to back years?

2007 - Lost in Round of 64
2008 - Lost in Elite 8
2009 - Did not make NCAA tournament
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

you misunderstood the statement....no one claimed it hurt Curry's confidence in himself.

Also, what years did Steph Curry's Davidson "WRECK" in the tournament in back to back years?

2008 - Lost in Elite 8

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/stephen-curry-1/gamelog/2007

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/stephen-curry-1/gamelog/2008

Not bad for 3 refrigerators, a guard, and Curry.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

2008 - Lost in Elite 8

nothing bad about it, just that Davidson team only had one year that they progressed in the tournament....which is exceptional for Davidson...not sure if they ever get that far again or at least for a long time.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Ruddog89 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

going to Davidson did not help with confidence in Curry also....Trae Young will be playing in the deepest Power 5 conference in the country....if he performs in conference play, that should provide more confidence for scouts.

Circle January 6th on the calendar....Oklahoma plays @ Home against WVU (ESPN2), and Young will be defended by Jevon Carter. If he puts up 20+ Points and 8+ Assists on that night....that will go a long way for me to have confidence in him as a Top 5 lottery talent.

That’s if Dax isn’t guarding him to conserve JC.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

2008 - Lost in Elite 8

nothing bad about it, just that Davidson team only had one year that they progressed in the tournament....which is exceptional for Davidson...not sure if they ever get that far again or at least for a long time.

When a dude is over 50% of a team's points, he wrecked shop, period.

Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Sviatoslav mykhailiuk- shooter with height but is lacking length
Vanja Marinkovic- athletic, can score, but still inconsistent
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 7 of 494
Jump to: