Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Why is Diallo so low in the mocks? Huge hops, 6'11" wingspan- seems like a good project to me.

Because there's no skill/motor to go along with the athleticism. Totally inconsistent all year.

He was probably told, "He just needs a jumpshot," when really, it's off-ball defense, more range on the jumper, ball-handling, court awareness, passing...

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject:

CBS mock has Troy Brown, Mitchell Robinson, Shake Milton, and De'Anthony Melton after Landry Shamet?

OK.

Don't get me wrong, I like Landry, but I think the guys listed above can do things on both ends of the floor more effectively.

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
CBS mock has Troy Brown, Mitchell Robinson, Shake Milton, and De'Anthony Melton after Landry Shamet?

OK.

Don't get me wrong, I like Landry, but I think the guys listed above can do things on both ends of the floor more effectively.

regardless of what happens there's gonna be some good picks at the cleveland slot...if we trade it away with luol to get space for randle i'd be happy, but if we kept it and got one of these guys i'd be happy too...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Robert Williams declares for the draft.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Robert Williams declares for the draft.

I would not be very comfortable taking him in the lottery....guy just no shows too often.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Shai looks like he is being bothered by the active defense of K State in this one.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject:

As usual, I have to give it up to Mike. Shai looked really mortal tonight against quicker defenders.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject:

If we didn't already have Ingram and Kuzma, I would consider drafting Kevin Knox if he fell to the late teens.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Why is Diallo so low in the mocks? Huge hops, 6'11" wingspan- seems like a good project to me.

because of that, he has been seen as a real project....he had not really shown his athleticism translate into improving his game until recently. I expect him to get a bump in mocks after last several games where he has shown significant progress.

Man, if he is there with our pick I would take him in a second. If Luke and company can get him to use his hops and length on D he could be a real steal.

Here’s a decent article about concerns about whether he can actually leverage his athleticism. No feel for the game and little understanding of basic defensive concepts.

LINK: The Stepien
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

because of that, he has been seen as a real project....he had not really shown his athleticism translate into improving his game until recently. I expect him to get a bump in mocks after last several games where he has shown significant progress.

Man, if he is there with our pick I would take him in a second. If Luke and company can get him to use his hops and length on D he could be a real steal.

Here’s a decent article about concerns about whether he can actually leverage his athleticism. No feel for the game and little understanding of basic defensive concepts.

fwiw, Cole has always been very low on Hamidou Diallo as he writes in this article last month....but in a recent podcast with Sam Vecenie, he seemed to soften his criticism as little basked on Diallo's late season/tournament play.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
If we didn't already have Ingram and Kuzma, I would consider drafting Kevin Knox if he fell to the late teens.

I would still draft him if he fell that far, but he will not...Knox has weaknesses, but he is clearly a lottery talent.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

Stepien mock is cool. I wouldn't have Knox in the 20s.

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Thank you!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Good first half between Nova and West Virginia. Brunson looks smooth, and Carter is also looking pretty strong.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Why isn't Konate on the draft board?
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

Lack of perimeter skills. Can't dribble or pass. Able to hit from 15' but is reluctant to take the shot. Undersized 5. Probably needs another year of school.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Not a good finish for JeVon. Brunson gave him workm
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions on Carter based on that 2nd half. The referees managed to ruin the game for West Virginia. Brunson is a smooth kat, though. Wouldn't mind him with our pick (if we keep it) at all.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

I'd take him anyway. I'd basically debate Troy Brown and Zhaire Smith at the spot.

Mike@LG

Luminous8 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Lack of perimeter skills. Can't dribble or pass. Able to hit from 15' but is reluctant to take the shot. Undersized 5. Probably needs another year of school.

I think he should declare tbh. What else is he going to show if he stays at WV? A jumper? Unless he's got a 38% 3ball at the NCAA level next year...

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

Luminous8 wrote:

still mad about him dropping 28 last weekend? Brunson got very little on Carter....very little. Brunson racked up most of his points at the foul line and when Carter was moved off ball when he got in foul trouble. How many actual baskets did Brunson score on Carter? 1, maybe 2?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

still mad about him dropping 28 last weekend? Brunson got very little on Carter....very little. Brunson racked up most of his points at the foul line and when Carter was moved off ball when he got in foul trouble. How many actual baskets did Brunson score on Carter? 1, maybe 2?

If you're looking at just the 1 v 1 stuff and not seeing how Carter gave up post position on Brunson to within 5' of the paint, or Brunson doing a change of pace dribble, getting a step, and then jumped across Carter on the drive and kick, we're definitely not seeing the same game.

Brunson was his own 4-point play while Nova was catching up. It didn't bother Brunson that he didn't get the ball vs. full court press. By the time he got the ball in the halfcourt, he wrecked WV on those passes/drive kick.

That's how Spellman and Pascual got those open 3s. Nova runs NBA set stuff with NBA archetypes. The fact that Carter was the primary matchup, yet Brunson scored 27 on 15 shots and dominated the last 11 minutes of the game, told me everything about Brunson's control of the game, pace, play against pressure, decision making, shot accuracy, and aggression.

If you want to highlight Carter's man-defense, maybe just have him go 1v1 vs. Brunson without any team help, because that's what killed WV.

Also need to be mindful of scoring trends. Brunson had 16 in the 1st half (for him, that's a lot). He was shutdown for the next 10 minutes. That's when WV took the lead with a small margin. Then, Brunson basically had 11 points in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

he is reluctant because he knows if he misses, Huggins will yank him....although Huggins has gave him a little more rope as the season progressed....but if it was up to Konate, he would have zero reluctance which is the problem...his dumb ass would be shooting from 26'....as he tried once or twice earlier in the season resulting in him getting benched the remainder of the game. Also, he has shown some decent passing ability, and actually made a couple really nice passes this game. In regards to dribbling....does Rudy Gobert or Clint Capella have great handles....it's just not really a skill I think benefits his game much.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions on Carter based on that 2nd half. The referees managed to ruin the game for West Virginia. Brunson is a smooth kat, though. Wouldn't mind him with our pick (if we keep it) at all.

Seems like a typical Carter game to me tbh. He has his moments on defense. Can hit timely 3s. Had issues finishing in the paint. Not seen as a go-to scorer with drive and kick late in the game. Feel like I've seen this baseline Carter game multiple times this season, right down to the shooting.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

If you're looking at just the 1 v 1 stuff and not seeing how Carter gave up post position on Brunson to within 5' of the paint, or Brunson doing a change of pace dribble, getting a step, and then jumped across Carter on the drive and kick, we're definitely not seeing the same game.

Brunson was his own 4-point play while Nova was catching up. It didn't bother Brunson that he didn't get the ball vs. full court press. By the time he got the ball in the halfcourt, he wrecked WV on those passes/drive kick.

That's how Spellman and Pascual got those open 3s. Nova runs NBA set stuff with NBA archetypes. The fact that Carter was the primary matchup, yet Brunson scored 27 on 15 shots and dominated the last 11 minutes of the game, told me everything about Brunson's control of the game, pace, play against pressure, decision making, shot accuracy, and aggression.

If you want to highlight Carter's man-defense, maybe just have him go 1v1 vs. Brunson without any team help, because that's what killed WV.

seriously not wasting a second with you on this Mike....you exposed yourself last time with this nonsense. Carter was not the primary matchup for most of the game, nor was Carter the one that sent him to the line so many times, nor did he score often on Carter. I have no issue with anyone pointing out how well Brunson played....but his excellent play was not a result of taking it to Carter.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 67 of 494
Jump to: