Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the Konate comments... dude looked like a Ben Wallace who could shoot... wouldn't mind drafting him 2nd round if he were available.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Also need to be mindful of scoring trends. Brunson had 16 in the 1st half (for him, that's a lot). He was shutdown for the next 10 minutes. That's when WV took the lead with a small margin. Then, Brunson basically had 11 points in the last 10 minutes of the game.

you edit to add this in which screams my point....WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH CARTER?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Thanks for the Konate comments... dude looked like a Ben Wallace who could shoot... wouldn't mind drafting him 2nd round if he were available.

he needs to stay in college....dude is not emotionally ready for the NBA....very immature.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Also need to be mindful of scoring trends. Brunson had 16 in the 1st half (for him, that's a lot). He was shutdown for the next 10 minutes. That's when WV took the lead with a small margin. Then, Brunson basically had 11 points in the last 10 minutes of the game.

you edit to add this in which screams my point....WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH CARTER?

You wasted a second on this.

So, why not switch Carter back onto him?

I even agree Carter didn't cover Brunson. You want your best blanket defender on the perimeter to shutdown the engine of an offense. Mistake on WVs behalf.

But yeah, we definitely don't watch the same game.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Genuinely curious where Brunson is placed in the draft. Depending on who declares, he may end up slotted late 1st. I understand that Holiday was ranked as high as 16 in DX's latest mock, but I have issues with how he sees the floor.

Holiday has the attacking style and the ball-handling to get to the rim almost at will. Great FT rate. Basically 44% arc shooter. I'm concerned about his temperment and court vision. He sees half the floor, doesn't always read crosscourt as effectively. He's a 2 in a 1 body. Thankfully he has some wingspan to compensate, but I'm not decisive on how that translates into defending 2s.

Brunson is the most natural PG of the projected late 1st types. Sees the entire floor. Does a solid job of Andre Miller PG things, using his base, change of pace, and decisive crossover on defender's front foot to keep guys off balance. Accurate, flat passing, good velocity. Scary awesome level shooter despite short wingspan at just 6'3".71% at rim on 22% assisted, 42% 3pt, vastly assisted, 52.7% everywhere else 2pt. range. Fully expect shooting to translate because of form. Elbow to eye level. Fair to solid arc on shot. Soft basketball touch at end of shot onto rim. Made a sweet layup on Konate to show his craft. Does well in the post w PPP and making reads, but also don't expect this to translate either. I don't expect anything defensively, but he is a heady defender. I question if the post base is translatable on switches, or even his 6'3" wingspan can even contest shots on those switches. Base denies position. Length denies comfort on shot. Hart can do both. Don't think the same for Brunson.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/977382054542364673?s=21
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/977382054542364673?s=21

Yup, it's going to be like that for a lot of guards during the workout process.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Genuinely curious where Brunson is placed in the draft. Depending on who declares, he may end up slotted late 1st. I understand that Holiday was ranked as high as 16 in DX's latest mock, but I have issues with how he sees the floor.

personally do not feel Holiday is in the same stratosphere as Brunson if I was looking for a true/traditional PG....floor general. Brunson has limitations, but they are not likely to "hurt" his team. For example, he is not a great athlete or defender....but if you watch him, his defensive IQ is high....always stays in front of his guy and quickly adjust how much room he needs to give opponent to remain effective while not getting beat. Brunson is the type of PG that could have started for the Lebron Heat teams, and they still easily win rings....he can run an offense, get the ball where it needs to be, not turn the ball over, defend his position, and make a play when called upon.

as a counter point, I literally just learned before the game that Brunson is the son of Rick Brunson....a childhood villain of mine. I assume I am probably the last person on earth to not connect the dots. I could not stand Rick Brunson or Aaron Mckie when they played for Temple in the early 90's...but especially Brunson. WVU and Temple were both in the A10 back then, and those two use to kill us...again especially Brunson. So if we drafted Jalen, I reserve the right for it to take me a while to warm up to him.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

In all honesty, if Huggins puts Carter on Brunson for most of the game, he fouls out in the 1st half, or certainly within the first couple of minutes of the 2nd half. I truly hate to harp on this, and I had no dog in this fight (unlike adkindo), but I wouldn't draw any conclusions on Carter's defense based on this game. You couldn't breathe on a Nova player in the 2nd half without a foul being called.

I do agree with Mike that Carter isn't the best finisher at the rim, but I think his D will translate at the next level (how many times do guards really post up in the NBA?) and I think he has some shot creation abilities, and can hit open shots.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

After watching duke barely beat cuse, there is no way grayson allen is an NBA player.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I like Diallo for our team. Explosive athlete, plays defense and would be fun in transition. I think he sticks for a long time in the nba just based on his athleticism and defense
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Christopher Walken wrote:
After watching duke barely beat cuse, there is no way grayson allen is an NBA player.

I'm not a fan either.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I like Diallo for our team. Explosive athlete, plays defense and would be fun in transition. I think he sticks for a long time in the nba just based on his athleticism and defense

If we spot something in workouts, I'd trust our scouting department if we took him. But I really feel like he's a project.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I do agree with Mike that Carter isn't the best finisher at the rim

he has been absolutely terrible at it all season
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I'm not a fan either.

I didn't watch game, but the box score looks like Cuse beat Duke everywhere except the free throw line?
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

If we spot something in workouts, I'd trust our scouting department if we took him. But I really feel like he's a project.

I wouldn’t argue against him being a project but that level of athleticism and skill at that age is a steal late in the first imo. Obviously if we can find a Larry nance, Kyle Kuzma or josh hart (which we have proven we can) around the pick is take one of those instead, since they can contribute more right away. That upside though...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

I wouldn’t argue against him being a project but that level of athleticism and skill at that age is a steal late in the first imo. Obviously if we can find a Larry nance, Kyle Kuzma or josh hart (which we have proven we can) around the pick is take one of those instead, since they can contribute more right away. That upside though...

not sure if you're aware....but he went through the combine last year, and demonstrated crazy athleticism.....but I guess the feedback was not great because he withdrew from the draft and returned to Kentucky.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

not sure if you're aware....but he went through the combine last year, and demonstrated crazy athleticism.....but I guess the feedback was not great because he withdrew from the draft and returned to Kentucky.

I’m aware...I just think last years draft was deep with guard talent. He’s clearly a raw prospect but not as raw as some think. Like I said, he’s a steal if he’s there at the end of the first on potential alone.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject:

Lack of jump shot is probably why
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Not a good finish for JeVon. Brunson gave him workm

still mad about him dropping 28 last weekend? Brunson got very little on Carter....very little. Brunson racked up most of his points at the foul line and when Carter was moved off ball when he got in foul trouble. How many actual baskets did Brunson score on Carter? 1, maybe 2?

Man, Marshall got exposed BAD. I was seriously disappointed. I didn't expect Elmore to have a big game, but I expected West and Burks to show up in a big way. West especially. Oh well, can't win them.all, as a WVU fan aslo (albeit slightly less) I was in a no lose situation there. Really just wanted that win souly for all the Mountaineer fans screaming about there not being a rivalry lmao.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

he needs to stay in college....dude is not emotionally ready for the NBA....very immature.

Absolutely, he almost got into it with Daxter Miles for trying to separate he and the ref. Kid is still immature, but I'd LOVE to steal him up in the second if we go PG or SF in the 1st. Dude can guard that paint.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lack of jump shot is probably why

Lack of jumper, hoop IQ, shot creating, motor. It's more than just his jumper. The kid doesn't know know how to play organized hoops. Up until recently didn't even know how to use his otherwordly athleticism to help him in game.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

I don't like Grayson Allen like every other human person, but come on with these hot takes.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

I don't like Grayson Allen like every other human person, but come on with these hot takes.

if he was black hed be labeled as thug/hot head/immature undraftable
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

if he was black hed be labeled as thug/hot head/immature undraftable

Exactly, classic example of white privilege tbh, and I'm white.
To call that a hot take tho? Nice try guy, a hot take is something not thought out, I being older actually think about things before I type them. Grayson will have the career of Jeff Capel- he aint reddick.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 68 of 494
Jump to: