Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Portsmouth Schedule & Results

For the most part, teams are taking quite a few three point attempts.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

Christopher Walken wrote:
Haven't seen it mentioned lately but why don't we offer zu, bryant, or our 2nd with our 1st and move up? or, pay some $ like with clarkson and move up in the 2nd? shamet will be gone by our 2nd pick.

I wouldn't mind it. I just don't think teams are looking for those guys.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I just don't think teams are looking for those guys.

agree
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
That seems like a waste of a pick. Why not just get Hutchison and get Noel on a cheap contract?

I agree, but still think some team will get desperate and overpay Noel....which is ok. I would be interested in him on a cheap short contract. I do think the guy has been immature, but I also think he is a guy that may thrive under structure and purpose.....do not think he got much of the latter in Philly and Dallas.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
That seems like a waste of a pick. Why not just get Hutchison and get Noel on a cheap contract?

I agree, but still think some team will get desperate and overpay Noel....which is ok. I would be interested in him on a cheap short contract. I do think the guy has been immature, but I also think he is a guy that may thrive under structure and purpose.....do not think he got much of the latter in Philly and Dallas.

I don't think he's been in great environments where he was thought to be "the man" and it didn't work out. Then he held out for a big money contract, and it didn't work out. Now, he has to practically salvage his career, because we haven't seen him play.

That guy only has one weakness on defense and it's post base. Everything else is legit.

Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I don't think he's been in great environments where he was thought to be "the man" and it didn't work out. Then he held out for a big money contract, and it didn't work out. Now, he has to practically salvage his career, because we haven't seen him play.

That guy only has one weakness on defense and it's post base. Everything else is legit.

Not sure if it's regressed, but Noel used to be one heck of a high post passer. Just not really sure how he'd fit with Julius. A big part of JR's breakout was Brook smand Kuz stretching the floor for him.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

^I think the passing is still there for Noel. He hasn't had a lot of opportunity to show it.

I'm not as concerned with fit next to Julius either. I trust Noel to do a 15-20mpg stint in the NBA, which is basically all he has to do to get his career going again.

A lot is also dependent on how free agency season goes. Obviously, I prefer Brook over Noel.

Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

I don't watch NCAA, I just wanna know what Jordan Poole's stock is??

I seen his highlights and la lumiere and thought he had potential. Forgot about him till his shot started popping up all over my twitter feed.

He's a shooting guard that can hit shots, where do you guys think he goes
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Endless3D wrote:
I don't watch NCAA, I just wanna know what Jordan Poole's stock is??

I seen his highlights and la lumiere and thought he had potential. Forgot about him till his shot started popping up all over my twitter feed.

He's a shooting guard that can hit shots, where do you guys think he goes

I don't think he's declared. If he did, probably early to mid 2nd. It's too difficult to gauge a guy on less than 13 minutes per game, so his workouts and interviews/Draft scrimmage would say everything and likely raise his stock.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Rest of 1st round

15. Wizards
16. Suns (via Heat)
17. Bucks
18. Spurs
19. Hawks (via Wolves)
20. Wolves (via Thunder)
21. Jazz
22. Bulls (via Pelicans)
23. Pacers
24. Blazers
25. Lakers (via Cavs)
26. 76ers
27. Celtics
28. Warriors
29. Nets (via Raptors)
30. Hawks (via Rockets)

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Here’s who the experts around the association have the Lakers picking in the NBA Draft:

Bleacher Report: Aaron Holiday, UCLA

ESPN: Aaron Holiday, UCLA

SB Nation: Keita Bates-Diop, Ohio State

Sports Illustrated: Mitchell Robinson, Chalmette HS
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^I think the passing is still there for Noel. He hasn't had a lot of opportunity to show it.

I'm not as concerned with fit next to Julius either. I trust Noel to do a 15-20mpg stint in the NBA, which is basically all he has to do to get his career going again.

A lot is also dependent on how free agency season goes. Obviously, I prefer Brook over Noel.

Since he's going to get far less money than he hoped, I think he's going to prioritize opportunity. 15-20 mpg is probably all we can offer. He'll want a promise of starter minutes in the area of 28-30 mpg. His talent is intriguing, but his #1 priority next season will not be team success. It will be getting himself paid. I think that puts his priorities at cross purposes with ours.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Since he's going to get far less money than he hoped, I think he's going to prioritize opportunity. 15-20 mpg is probably all we can offer. He'll want a promise of starter minutes in the area of 28-30 mpg. His talent is intriguing, but his #1 priority next season will not be team success. It will be getting himself paid. I think that puts his priorities at cross purposes with ours.

If that's the case, he can do that elsewhere. Simple as that.

The Lakers have 3 guys tied at 16.1ppg. He has to show something else to keep him on the floor with bench and starting units to warrant future $$.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

my two favorite draft guys....Vecenie and Zwicker break down the 2017 Class, pick by pick....I would not say these guys are always right....or do not develop bias here and there.....but they are as honest as it comes in my opinion. I think reviewing previous classes results compared to your initial thoughts is one of the best way to develop or at least identify where you made mistakes.

https://soundcloud.com/sam-vecenie/breaking-down-the-2017-nba
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Man if we get MPJ's brother, that (bleep) would be wonderful
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Here’s who the experts around the association have the Lakers picking in the NBA Draft:

Bleacher Report: Aaron Holiday, UCLA

ESPN: Aaron Holiday, UCLA

SB Nation: Keita Bates-Diop, Ohio State

Sports Illustrated: Mitchell Robinson, Chalmette HS

Mitchell Robinson is the only one I like in those mocks.
tj24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

What’s the general consensus on Trent Jr? Anybody like him with our pick? He should be there at 25 unless some team works themselves into thinking he’s the next booker.

This team could obviously really use his shooting. He’s not really dynamic on either end but having a cheap knock down shooter off the pine would be nice especially if max free agents are added. I’m intrigued.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I'm like me Evans. #24 on DX mock and 17 on Stepien's mock

Mike curious what you mean by he plays like Jordan Bell?
https://twitter.com/Timhinds4/status/958893825623289856
He handlea the ball a decent amount and consistently orchestrates the P/R better than a Josh Hart. 3.1apg near 5rpg 1stl 1blk , high motor

Also shot 42% from 3 on 5 attempts as a soph. And 37% on 4.5attempts as a Jr. The Stepein says he has a solid pull-up 3 as well. With a one-motion stroke. He def has a high shooting ceiling , and an avg shooting median outcome

This is these mock's case for him and I think it's sound..

The primary things that stick out for me about Jacob Evans
1. Team defense
2. Man-defense/switchability
3. Basic ball-handling
4. Court-vision in standstill/a little on the move, like short-roll passing

The handful of games I've seen of Evans, he had 2 games of high PnR frequency. The rest of the time, he was off-ball, which reminded me a lot of how Bell played on offense too. Yes, Evans has a more established 3-point shot. Both guys have great motor. But if I said Jordan Bell with a 3pt shot playing 3, how different is that from Jacob Evans now?

That dribble move was the first dynamic move I've seen from him. Didn't see any of it leading into tourney time.

Thanks for the breakdown. (I just be on my phone so it's a bit tough to respond to all the posts and stuff, my fellow LGers, sorry)
What would you say the main differences between he and J.Hart's game are?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject:

tj24 wrote:
What’s the general consensus on Trent Jr? Anybody like him with our pick? He should be there at 25 unless some team works themselves into thinking he’s the next booker.

This team could obviously really use his shooting. He’s not really dynamic on either end but having a cheap knock down shooter off the pine would be nice especially if max free agents are added. I’m intrigued.

Strict 2nd round consideration for me.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

He handlea the ball a decent amount and consistently orchestrates the P/R better than a Josh Hart. 3.1apg near 5rpg 1stl 1blk , high motor

Also shot 42% from 3 on 5 attempts as a soph. And 37% on 4.5attempts as a Jr. The Stepein says he has a solid pull-up 3 as well. With a one-motion stroke. He def has a high shooting ceiling , and an avg shooting median outcome

1. Team defense
3. Basic ball-handling

The handful of games I've seen of Evans, he had 2 games of high PnR frequency. The rest of the time, he was off-ball, which reminded me a lot of how Bell played on offense too. Yes, Evans has a more established 3-point shot. Both guys have great motor. But if I said Jordan Bell with a 3pt shot playing 3, how different is that from Jacob Evans now?

That dribble move was the first dynamic move I've seen from him. Didn't see any of it leading into tourney time.

Thanks for the breakdown. (I just be on my phone so it's a bit tough to respond to all the posts and stuff, my fellow LGers, sorry)

It's the ball-handling that makes it stand apart. I don't consider Jordan Bell or Jacob Evans solid-to-good shot creators. Hart doesn't even have a lot in his arsenal, but I think he's a significantly more effective slasher/finisher through contact over both. The threat of his 3 opens up a slash game. I see him get past defenders when he uses a screen. I haven't seen that from Evans.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject:

tj24 wrote:

2nd.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

1. Team defense
3. Basic ball-handling

It's the ball-handling that makes it stand apart. I don't consider Jordan Bell or Jacob Evans solid-to-good shot creators. Hart doesn't even have a lot in his arsenal, but I think he's a significantly more effective slasher/finisher through contact over both. The threat of his 3 opens up a slash game. I see him get past defenders when he uses a screen. I haven't seen that from Evans.

Ok that's an astute point. Even though Evans is a bit better ball handler ---- functionality in attacking is what matters - and Hart is the one who can get to the rim with his euro step-ish move, and finish really really really well.
Evans flashes more 'skill' if you will, and I'd expect more nice passing out of drives, instead of Hart's finishes. 3.1assists for how much he handles the ball is good
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject:

I would love for the Lakers to get some additional PG help.

Holiday is the guy I want.

If he is gone, I take Zhaire Smith if he is still on the board and hope for Brunson with the later pick.

No Hutchinson please. High bust potential.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Evans flashes more 'skill' if you will, and I'd expect more nice passing out of drives, instead of Hart's finishes. 3.1assists for how much he handles the ball is good

In the limited sample of games that I've seen, like you said, he hasn't made it as functional/consistent.

Believe me, I want to root for the guy. That kind of defensive versatility is too rare. I already like Melton because while, like Evans, his ball-handling isn't as functional, both guys can pass, and Melton is on my list anyway.

I think this will be a case where player workouts of him flashing the ball-handling will boost his stock, possibly over Troy Brown/Hutchison anyway.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject:

tj24 wrote:

I could be ok with the pick. Good shooter, can score off the dribble...shown decent ability to play make and rebound...good free throw shooter.....6'6" SG...19 years old. Wes Matthews comp?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 91 of 494
Jump to: