Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
What are our major positional needs? I'd say:

1. backup PG
2. backup center
3. backup SF/wing.

I'd put backup SF/wing as my top priority, then PG, then C myself. Hart is terrific, but he's a bit undersized at the backup 3 spot. If we could get Hutchison or even Troy Brown (Mike is winning me over on this) at the 25, I'd be happy. If both of those guys are gone, though, I'd go for Brunson or Holiday at the 25 and hope that either Evans, Frazier, or maaaybe Bates-Diop were around at the 47 (though I'm not keen on Bates-Diop relative quickness compared to the other guys...).

I would put backup PG AND center above wing as we have Ingram, Kuzma, and just about every free agent target we are aiming for from now til 2020 is a wing (plus AD). PG13, Klay, Lebron, Leonard, Giannis, etc..

If Lakers sign PG13 and another star I would prefer a veteran pg be signed. What backup center could be drafted and would actually see court time? I don't believe Walton would play a rookie over Bryant/Zubac or a vet backup.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. backup PG
2. backup center
3. backup SF/wing.

I'd put backup SF/wing as my top priority, then PG, then C myself. Hart is terrific, but he's a bit undersized at the backup 3 spot. If we could get Hutchison or even Troy Brown (Mike is winning me over on this) at the 25, I'd be happy. If both of those guys are gone, though, I'd go for Brunson or Holiday at the 25 and hope that either Evans, Frazier, or maaaybe Bates-Diop were around at the 47 (though I'm not keen on Bates-Diop relative quickness compared to the other guys...).

I would put backup PG AND center above wing as we have Ingram, Kuzma, and just about every free agent target we are aiming for from now til 2020 is a wing (plus AD). PG13, Klay, Lebron, Leonard, Giannis, etc..

right now in the NBA....true 2 way athletic wings are like money....teams simply cannot have enough. Plus, they are often the most scarce and desired trade pieces. If it's close in regards to BPA, I mostly would choose the wing and figure it out later.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
When’s the last time a Lakers puck was successfully packed and stashed? Outside of the Lakers, who are some notable ones as of late?

The Lakers have rarely draft and stashed in the past. AY2043 answered your next question plus I will add Ricky Rubio.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
LakerBaker wrote:
What draft picks do the Lakers have in 2019 and 2020? Thanks!

Future Traded Pick Details

2019 Incoming & Outgoing

2019 second round draft pick from Chicago
Chicago's 2019 2nd round pick to the L.A. Lakers [Chicago-L.A. Lakers, 7/7/2016]

2019 second round draft pick to Portland or Cleveland
Portland will receive the more favorable of Minnesota's 2019 2nd round pick (via Cleveland) and the L.A. Lakers' 2019 2nd round pick (via Indiana to Cleveland) and Atlanta will receive the less favorable of these two picks (via Cleveland) [Cleveland-Minnesota, 6/25/2015; Indiana-L.A. Lakers, 7/9/2015; Cleveland-Indiana, 7/23/2015; Cleveland-Portland, 7/27/2015; Atlanta-Cleveland, 10/14/2017]

No picks incoming or outgoing after 2019.

Lakers First --> Lakers

Lakers Second --> Portland or Cleveland
Chicago Second --> Lakers

Lakers First --> Lakers

Lakers Second --> Lakers

Lakers First --> Lakers

Lakers Second --> Lakers

Lakers First --> Lakers

Lakers Second --> Lakers

For all the awful, horrific, terrible things Mitch and Jim did during the summer of 2016, at least they made that Calderon trade.

That Bulls pick is going to be between 31-35.

I think that it will be slightly worse than that.

Chicago will have a lottery pick and the New Orleans first while Brooklyn will have the Toronto first.

The Knicks will be blah to start the season with Kristaps Porzingis missing some game because of injury rehab.

This past season

Chicago & Sacramento 27 - 55
Brooklyn 28 - 54
Knicks 29 - 53

Sacramento won't be tanking next season, so they could have 30 wins.

Chatter has it that the Bulls aren't interested in a multi year tank campaign. With the situations less than optimal in Detroit, Charlotte, Washington and maybe Milwaukee, the Bulls might have an opportunistic philosophy and try to push for the playoffs next season. They might not make it, but I think they will at least try.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Still cant believe they dumped Clarksons salary and LNJ for a 1st rounder. Both have been garbage in the PO
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Still cant believe they dumped Clarksons salary and LNJ for a 1st rounder. Both have been garbage in the PO

2 games?
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

@ Mike,

How do you evaluate Okobo? and do you think there is a chance to get him @ #25?

I have no idea how performance in international competition translate into NBA, but he seems to check a lot of boxes for good pick&roll ball handler, lead guard. good phsycial tools/size, shooting upside, finishing ability, playmaking, unselfishness, etc. I don't know how his defense will tranlate, but there seems to be a lot to like about him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

We have a backup point guard already. Isaiah Thomas.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. backup PG
2. backup center
3. backup SF/wing.

If Lakers sign PG13 and another star I would prefer a veteran pg be signed. What backup center could be drafted and would actually see court time? I don't believe Walton would play a rookie over Bryant/Zubac or a vet backup.

I think it’s easier when you have veteran talent around them and role players can stick to just doing roles. That late, probably pick BPA but there are late bug finds that do happen. See: Jordan Bell
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Yep, if we don't get LeBron, we need to try to keep him... at least until we see that Lonzo, and the draft picks pan out. Don't see any hope of getting a decent point guard without messing up the 2019 plan... so a one year prove it deal is as good as any we can probably make.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. backup PG
2. backup center
3. backup SF/wing.

I think it’s easier when you have veteran talent around them and role players can stick to just doing roles. That late, probably pick BPA but there are late bug finds that do happen. See: Jordan Bell

Yes Bell is the perfect fit for GW. Energy big, defense, rebounding without having to score. Not sure what would complement the Lakers core given PG/LBJ signs.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

but his contract terminates before our next game....he can sign a new contract, but the only PG's under contract for our next game currently is Ball, Ennis (non-guaranteed) and Caruso (2 Way).

....yeah, I am being "that guy"
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Would rather re-sign Isaiah Thomas and draft positions we actually need as opposed to trying to find another Isaiah Thomas in the draft that will be 2-3 seasons away.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Could have been amine noua they were also in France to scout

But hopefully it was okobo. Said previously in this thread a looong time ago that okobo is better than his mock position
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
SI just released its latest Mock Draft this morning: SI 04-18-18 Mock Draft LINK

They have us picking:

Quote:
25. Los Angeles Lakers Lakers: Bruno Fernando, C, Maryland | Fr.

(*via Cavaliers)
Height: 6'10" | Weight: 245 | Age: 19 | Last: 25
Stats: 10.3 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.2 BPG

The Lakers are still searching for a long-term solution in the middle and play the type of spacing-centric offense that works best with a dynamic rim-runner. Enter Fernando, who has the athletic tools to be a poor man’s Clint Capela and would be a nice fit here. He’s unusually mobile and strong, competes hard and his skill level continues to improve. His overall feel is suspect, but as a late-bloomer, there’s some untapped room to grow here.

Quote:
47. Lakers (via Nuggets): Tyus Battle, SG, Syracuse | So. [No other analysis/ info.]

The folks still available between after Nos. 25 and 47 on their Board include, just to name a few:

26 - Jontay Porter
27 - Bruce Brown
28 - De'Anthony Melton
30 - Jalen Brunson
32 - Jacob Evans
33 - Melvin Frazier
34 - Donte DiVincenzo
36 - Keita Bates-Diop
37 - Landry Shamet
42 - Shake Milton
46 - Josh Okogie
49 - Gary Trent, Jr.
51 - Jevon Carter
57 - Omari Spellman
58 - Isaac Bonga

I really don't know about their pick at No. 25 for us. I don't know anything about Fernando, but I would think Porter's outside range and comparable height (DK his wingspan) would make him more the kind of player we were looking for last year, and basically be Bropez insurance.

And even if he weren't, I'd much rather have Brunson at 25 to push Lonzo and to add more shooting, leadership, and Villanova toughness to the team. I'd also love it if Shamet or Milton got leapfrogged by some surprise picks and fell down low enough to 47.

Thoughts?

Definitely no on Fernando over anyone from #26 to #32. It's mildly insulting.

You yourself said you didn't watch enough Fernando to really make that call. You're basing this on past experience on Maryland's inability to develop guys correct? Outside of that, what's your excuse for not liking that pick and finding it "mildly insulting"?
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
anyone who is 6'7+, with above avg wingspan, competes on d, and can shoot the 3 above 35% is an NBA rotation player. if you are drafting >20 and can get a rotation player, that's a solid draft pick. flat out. don't care about ballhandling, passing, or change of direction - if you have those you're a borderline all star.

My only disagreement would be based on strength of draft class.

Josh Hart doesn't even fit the description because he showed some functional ball-handling and passing and was still late 1st.

Anthony Brown? Not so much.

Anthony Brown shot below 30% from 3

44% last year at Stanford.
41% G-League.

But then for some reason

LAL 29%
NOP 25%
ORL 33%
MIN 100% (1shot)
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
This is the year the Lakers should consider a draft and stash. They have enough young talent at every position that needs PT and any additional young player will most likely be relegated to the G-league. This would save cap space, service time, and another year overseas will allow the player to continue development of their skills and to physically mature

Besides Doncic the international talent seems to be less hyped this year. Any thoughts on Isaac Bonga? Only looked at highlights but he looks very intriguing with high upside.

I disagree, unless it interrupts FA max contracts.

No one remembers Elonu or Majok as draft stashes.

Mike, you know as well as I do that Elonu (2009) and Majok (2011) were picked at #59 and #58 in their respective drafts and were selected in part because their value was greater as draft and stash players who could be traded as consideration in salary dumps as happened with the Calderon trade.

A younger draft and stash player at #47 - Bonga, Bitadze, Mushidi? - have a higher probability than Majok and Elonu did of developing into players who could make an NBA roster down the line while still retaining some value as trade chips in salary dumps.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
When’s the last time a Lakers puck was successfully packed and stashed? Outside of the Lakers, who are some notable ones as of late?

Off the top of my head:

Satoransky - WSH
Bjelicia - MIN
Saric - PHI
Korkmaz - PHI
Bolden - PHI
Bogdanovic - PHO/SAC
Jokic - DEN
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Would rather re-sign Isaiah Thomas and draft positions we actually need as opposed to trying to find another Isaiah Thomas in the draft that will be 2-3 seasons away.

1) Take BPA at #25

2) The team still needs as much guard depth as possible even if Thomas comes back because they functionally only have two guards under contract and would have only three with IT back. Given IT's age and injury history, the team would need to develop more guard depth short- and long-term even if IT returns

3) The Lakers aren't competing for a title in the next 2-3 seasons barring gutting this current roster, so who cares about drafting for positional need on an unsettled roster that may not even be playoff caliber next season? In 2-3 seasons the #25 pick would be making less than $1.7M. If that pick yields a player anywhere close to IT, the Lakers will have an incredible guard trio in Ball, Hart, and #25 who are all under 26 with pick #25 still on a rookie scale contract - that's when positional need in a late 1st round pick becomes more pertinent.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject:

If Aaron will be anything like Jru...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
If Aaron will be anything like Jru...

I'd take a flier on the Holiday pedigree overall. Justin going from undrafted to an NBA rotation player shows the work ethic in that family along with the talent.

I still think Aaron's TOs and shaky decision-making are going to be more difficult for him to overcome than Justin's shooting was for him. But if groomed into more of a Patty Mills off-ball role at the NBA level, I could see him carve out a long NBA career. The issue is going to be avoiding landing on a team that wants him to be Lou Williams.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/novambb/status/986978481295806464?s=21
818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

Donte Divicenzo will declare for the draft
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

I'll admit I'm not following the draft closely since there's so much that can happen, but how much does championship pedigree matter to you?

In other words, if a Villanova guy (Brunson, Divicenzo) are available in the Laker's range, and they're pretty close to the Hutchinsons and Browns of the draft in terms of BPA, does the Hart-connection and championship experience sway the decision? I have a feeling it would for the FO, just picture the press conference with Pelinka: "We found a champion in the draft, and that's what we're building here, championships" *Josh Hart in the background with the troll-face smile, Fortnite paused in his back pocket
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

JJin77 wrote:
@ Mike,

How do you evaluate Okobo? and do you think there is a chance to get him @ #25?

I have no idea how performance in international competition translate into NBA, but he seems to check a lot of boxes for good pick&roll ball handler, lead guard. good phsycial tools/size, shooting upside, finishing ability, playmaking, unselfishness, etc. I don't know how his defense will tranlate, but there seems to be a lot to like about him.

I don't think Okobo will be there at #25. He exhibits qualities of Holiday and Brunson. Full PnR vision, good first step, pull up jumpshot. I haven't looked up statistics to see how efficient he is, I just looked at how he plays. Some shiftiness out of PnR. Good first step.

As for defense translating, it depends. This is why I'm not 1000% to draft analytics. Yes, it helps that there are indicators that a player will be good/great defenders next level, but other guys have made themselves solid to elite defenders. We didn't draft Julius Randle for his defensive ability out of Kentucky, just rebounding rate. Despite low block/steal rates, he's one of the best defenders on the team. Not intuitive like Lonzo, but every bit as capable of getting stops against big centers to elite PGs. The motor and athletic tools had to be there. He always had the feet and the base.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 101 of 494
Jump to: