Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Would rather re-sign Isaiah Thomas and draft positions we actually need as opposed to trying to find another Isaiah Thomas in the draft that will be 2-3 seasons away.

Why? I don't understand this rationale at all. So, keep a backup PG/6th man, and draft one just in case?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:

You yourself said you didn't watch enough Fernando to really make that call. You're basing this on past experience on Maryland's inability to develop guys correct? Outside of that, what's your excuse for not liking that pick and finding it "mildly insulting"?

I've seen too much of my "main core guys" of the draft to think that they should go higher in the draft. Skipping on them for a 5 that lacks perimeter skills, I think, is mildly insulting, especially when successful teams run with great switch wings and shooting. I don't think Fernando is the BPA at the pick (unless workouts/interviews say otherwise), and I don't think it's a great situation for him considering Bryant and Zu are already on the team.

It's mildly insulting considering the situation for the Lakers and unless Fernando plays like a lottery pick, the Lakers may not be the best place to succeed and may not be the BPA.

I'll give him that he's a better athlete than Bryant and Zu, but I do question his hands at the rim. At least he can really move his feet defensively.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
anyone who is 6'7+, with above avg wingspan, competes on d, and can shoot the 3 above 35% is an NBA rotation player. if you are drafting >20 and can get a rotation player, that's a solid draft pick. flat out. don't care about ballhandling, passing, or change of direction - if you have those you're a borderline all star.

My only disagreement would be based on strength of draft class.

Josh Hart doesn't even fit the description because he showed some functional ball-handling and passing and was still late 1st.

Anthony Brown? Not so much.

Anthony Brown shot below 30% from 3

44% last year at Stanford.
41% G-League.

But then for some reason

LAL 29%
NOP 25%
ORL 33%
MIN 100% (1shot)

He's never played more than 29 games a season. That was his rookie year.

Basically I think Anthony Brown is a potential bust, but can still make the league. He left NCAA older than most prospects, but he still shot 44% 3pt against quality competition.

Then he shoots 41% vs. G-League comp.

But at the NBA level, 29 games, 11 games, 9 games, 2 games, 1 game. Is that even much of a sample size considering his consistent/proven track record at Stanford and G-League for 3-point shooting?

We have elite rookies that struggle with their 3-point shot. How much time is going to be devoted to development? I used to adopt the "draft the best athlete available, and turn him into a 3 and D guy" because every year, there seemed to be 1-3 guys of that branch.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
This is the year the Lakers should consider a draft and stash. They have enough young talent at every position that needs PT and any additional young player will most likely be relegated to the G-league. This would save cap space, service time, and another year overseas will allow the player to continue development of their skills and to physically mature

Besides Doncic the international talent seems to be less hyped this year. Any thoughts on Isaac Bonga? Only looked at highlights but he looks very intriguing with high upside.

I disagree, unless it interrupts FA max contracts.

No one remembers Elonu or Majok as draft stashes.

Mike, you know as well as I do that Elonu (2009) and Majok (2011) were picked at #59 and #58 in their respective drafts and were selected in part because their value was greater as draft and stash players who could be traded as consideration in salary dumps as happened with the Calderon trade.

A younger draft and stash player at #47 - Bonga, Bitadze, Mushidi? - have a higher probability than Majok and Elonu did of developing into players who could make an NBA roster down the line while still retaining some value as trade chips in salary dumps.

Actually I had completely forgotten about salary dumps for the Calderon trade. I don't keep track of the team cap situation as much as the prospects I try to watch.

Draft and stash makes sense at 47. I think there are a strong crop of prospects to pick from at 25. Mushidi, we could only hope drops that far. I'm just thinking, we didn't even draft and stash Zubac.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
I'll admit I'm not following the draft closely since there's so much that can happen, but how much does championship pedigree matter to you?

In other words, if a Villanova guy (Brunson, Divicenzo) are available in the Laker's range, and they're pretty close to the Hutchinsons and Browns of the draft in terms of BPA, does the Hart-connection and championship experience sway the decision? I have a feeling it would for the FO, just picture the press conference with Pelinka: "We found a champion in the draft, and that's what we're building here, championships" *Josh Hart in the background with the troll-face smile, Fortnite paused in his back pocket

No.

I love Villanova's program. I love how they groom players. I think if Troy and Chandler went to Villanova, they'd have higher draft stock.

But when I evaluated Josh Hart, it was not about the championship experience. It was all about what he could do on the floor. On the flip side, people overrated championship experience in Mateen Cleaves and Trey Burke.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

not a fan of this decision....guy put himself on the radar during the NCAA Tournament.....I think he would have improved his draft stock returning to Marshall.

Penava not returning to Marshall

Quote:
Ajdin Penava has decided to sign with an agent and not return to Marshall for his senior year of basketball.

The 6-foot-10 native of Bosnia had applied for the 2018 NBA Draft, seemingly to test the waters and obtain feedback. But that course seriously changed recently.

LINK
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
not a fan of this decision....guy put himself on the radar during the NCAA Tournament.....I think he would have improved his draft stock returning to Marshall.

Quote:
Ajdin Penava has decided to sign with an agent and not return to Marshall for his senior year of basketball.

The 6-foot-10 native of Bosnia had applied for the 2018 NBA Draft, seemingly to test the waters and obtain feedback. But that course seriously changed recently.

LINK

There's the draft and stash candidate. Needs time to develop strength head to toe, work on his shot, get used to higher caliber defenses. C-USA was way too easy competition for him.

Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:
I'll admit I'm not following the draft closely since there's so much that can happen, but how much does championship pedigree matter to you?

In other words, if a Villanova guy (Brunson, Divicenzo) are available in the Laker's range, and they're pretty close to the Hutchinsons and Browns of the draft in terms of BPA, does the Hart-connection and championship experience sway the decision? I have a feeling it would for the FO, just picture the press conference with Pelinka: "We found a champion in the draft, and that's what we're building here, championships" *Josh Hart in the background with the troll-face smile, Fortnite paused in his back pocket

No.

I love Villanova's program. I love how they groom players. I think if Troy and Chandler went to Villanova, they'd have higher draft stock.

But when I evaluated Josh Hart, it was not about the championship experience. It was all about what he could do on the floor. On the flip side, people overrated championship experience in Mateen Cleaves and Trey Burke.

I'm super high on Mikhal Bridges. I think he should go higher and will be a surprise if he goes to the right team.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

There's the draft and stash candidate. Needs time to develop strength head to toe, work on his shot, get used to higher caliber defenses. C-USA was way too easy competition for him.

I guess if he was open to playing overseas....seems like stash guys are already playing overseas? The guy has potential. The selfish part of me wanted to see what that Marshall squad could become next season remaining intact....honestly think they had Sweet 16 potential if everyone returned.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:

No.

I'm super high on Mikhal Bridges. I think he should go higher and will be a surprise if he goes to the right team.

He's already a Top 10 guy. His archetype warrants him being higher. Just has shot creation issues.

Believe me, I liked him last year when he was a total role player/off ball guy and was 73% 2-point, 39% 3-point, and put all his energy into defense.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I guess if he was open to playing overseas....seems like stash guys are already playing overseas? The guy has potential. The selfish part of me wanted to see what that Marshall squad could become next season remaining intact....honestly think they had Sweet 16 potential if everyone returned.

The change would be better for his development. Dude has a dumb high block percentage because C-USA guards didn't see him as a rim protector and then he has the hands and wings to compensate. But unlike my idea of most draft and stash guys, this is better for his development unless he goes to a stronger conference. Solid athlete, but the opposition at C-USA can't even keep up to his developing triple threat skills on the run. At a bigger school, he'd be considered early 2nd round already. He's 21 years old, so he needs to make up some ground.

I like him more than most 2nd round prospects.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
The change would be better for his development. Dude has a dumb high block percentage because C-USA guards didn't see him as a rim protector and then he has the hands and wings to compensate. But unlike my idea of most draft and stash guys, this is better for his development unless he goes to a stronger conference. Solid athlete, but the opposition at C-USA can't even keep up to his developing triple threat skills on the run. At a bigger school, he'd be considered early 2nd round already. He's 21 years old, so he needs to make up some ground.

I would not be upset with stashing him. I know your not high on the 2nd Round this season....but I think there may be a sweet spot in that #24-#40ish range for relative value based on draft location. I personally like that range based on value in an average draft more than I do the #12-#24ish range.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
anyone who is 6'7+, with above avg wingspan, competes on d, and can shoot the 3 above 35% is an NBA rotation player. if you are drafting >20 and can get a rotation player, that's a solid draft pick. flat out. don't care about ballhandling, passing, or change of direction - if you have those you're a borderline all star.

My only disagreement would be based on strength of draft class.

Josh Hart doesn't even fit the description because he showed some functional ball-handling and passing and was still late 1st.

Anthony Brown? Not so much.

Anthony Brown shot below 30% from 3

44% last year at Stanford.
41% G-League.

But then for some reason

LAL 29%
NOP 25%
ORL 33%
MIN 100% (1shot)

He's never played more than 29 games a season. That was his rookie year.

Basically I think Anthony Brown is a potential bust, but can still make the league. He left NCAA older than most prospects, but he still shot 44% 3pt against quality competition.

Then he shoots 41% vs. G-League comp.

But at the NBA level, 29 games, 11 games, 9 games, 2 games, 1 game. Is that even much of a sample size considering his consistent/proven track record at Stanford and G-League for 3-point shooting?

We have elite rookies that struggle with their 3-point shot. How much time is going to be devoted to development? I used to adopt the "draft the best athlete available, and turn him into a 3 and D guy" because every year, there seemed to be 1-3 guys of that branch.

It just bothers me when I see a guy like AB who doesn't play aggressive hoops AT ALL at the NBA level struggle with their shot. Especially when they DO show they can shoot at the G-League level.

52 games is more than enough time.for him to have gotten up to par with the NBA speed. When I see Andre Ingram, Seth Curry, Royce O'Neal, Travis Wear, amongst a plethora of others who never made the L get the call up and make the most of it by being SHOOTERS who could SHOOT then watch Anthony Brown miss opportunities again and again despite his first chance coming as an "old" rookie, I struggle to see a guy who is ever going to be much of an in game shooter. He's got that Vujacic mental block.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Sooo lanky though
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I would not be upset with stashing him. I know your not high on the 2nd Round this season....but I think there may be a sweet spot in that #24-#40ish range for relative value based on draft location. I personally like that range based on value in an average draft more than I do the #12-#24ish range.

We're still finding out guys declaring, but I'd definitely have him in that range.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:

52 games is more than enough time.for him to have gotten up to par with the NBA speed. When I see Andre Ingram, Seth Curry, Royce O'Neal, Travis Wear, amongst a plethora of others who never made the L get the call up and make the most of it by being SHOOTERS who could SHOOT then watch Anthony Brown miss opportunities again and again despite his first chance coming as an "old" rookie, I struggle to see a guy who is ever going to be much of an in game shooter. He's got that Vujacic mental block.

All of those guys spent multiple years in the G-League/D-League before looking legit against NBA level competition. But I also think that ties into my argument, because all of those guys needed time to develop their shot.

Anthony Brown's issues are just reps at NBA speed and confidence. Nothing mechanical. That's the thing.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

@Luminous8

have you seen the kid from Logan that is starting to get attention...David Early? He was a sophomore this past season....WVU and I think Marshall has already offered. A SG that 247 and Rivals has listed @ 6'4". Needs to trim down his body.

David Early Freshman Highlights
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
@Luminous8

have you seen the kid from Logan that is starting to get attention...David Early? He was a sophomore this past season....WVU and I think Marshall has already offered. A SG that 247 and Rivals has listed @ 6'4". Needs to trim down his body.

Hmm, no I haven't heard anything about him. I'm going back there next weekend for an event. May have to asked around about him. May be able to get a pick up game in.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
@Luminous8

From high school?

--Anonymous
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
@Luminous8

From high school?

Yes...

Logan has gotten pretty good over the last 5-7 years about getting kids to come to school there from other towns. I think got back to AAA hoops. Theyve got a couple of great players from Man actually because the kids simply had no desire to play under Harvey Arms anymore. I asked my brother about Early and he's not heard anything about him but I'm going ask around. Seems to have some game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Yes...

Logan has gotten pretty good over the last 5-7 years about getting kids to come to school there from other towns. I think got back to AAA hoops. Theyve got a couple of great players from Man actually because the kids simply had no desire to play under Harvey Arms anymore. I asked my brother about Early and he's not heard anything about him but I'm going ask around. Seems to have some game.

Harvey Arms? That guy is still around? The same guy that coached football @ Man Junior High in the early 90's?

I am guessing you may be a little too young to recall those Logan teams in the late 80's/early 90's? Many of those guys were not born and raised in Logan....Willie Akers was always "recruiting" talent to Logan. Those teams were ranked in the Top 15 nationally....playing national powerhouses like Oak Hill and Roman Catholic (Philadelphia) in holiday tournaments. I recently saw the 1991 State Championship game...Logan vs. Beckley was on YouTube....check out the starting lineup announcements.....

a small school in the heart of coal country WV with a 6'4" Starting PG....a 6'8" Center....a 6'6" Forward.....Logan was recruiting in a public high school like it was Notre Dame.

btw, noticed on that David Early video....many of the games @ the Logan Fieldhouse were half empty! When I was growing up....you had to get to a game an hour early to have any hope of getting a seat....often earlier for a Friday night game. Things have changed a lot....even heard Chapmansville is better than Logan in recent years.....never dreamed I would hear that.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

All of those guys spent multiple years in the G-League/D-League before looking legit against NBA level competition. But I also think that ties into my argument, because all of those guys needed time to develop their shot.

Anthony Brown's issues are just reps at NBA speed and confidence. Nothing mechanical. That's the thing.

Coming out of College his release appeared to be a split second to slow which allowed the athletic NBA defenders to challenge the shot which affected his %.

It appears he has attempted to quicken his release but his accuracy seems to be affected.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

For the 47th he would be fine. However I believe what he excelled at in College will not translate to the NBA.

His movements are smooth but not explosive. His outside shot looks questionable and like Jarrod Uthoff his block shots will not translate.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

For the 47th he would be fine. However I believe what he excelled at in College will not translate to the NBA.

His movements are smooth but not explosive. His outside shot looks questionable and like Jarrod Uthoff his block shots will not translate.

Hence, development time.

I'm not interested in him for the shooting like I would have been for Uthoff.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Hence, development time.

I'm not interested in him for the shooting like I would have been for Uthoff.

Begs the question What aspect of his game are you interested in?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 102 of 494
Jump to: