Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Musa highlights, 6'9 18 year old tearing it up overseas
36% 3s
I have him 16 on my bigboard, DX has him top 20
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
misterrunon wrote:
I would like to roll the dice for Mitchell Robinson, but he won't likely be available at pick #25. I'd think somewhere between 15-20 is where he'll be going.

The Lakers unfortunately don't have the goods to move up without tossing in Hart.

I'm not so sure about that. A team was able to move up 2 spots for the Lakers' #28 pick last year, and we ended up with #42 (where we took Bryant). What if we offered the 2019 CHI 2nd (which will likely end up in the 30's), the Denver 2nd this year, or maybe even both? You never know if that could allow us to move up 2-3 spots. It wouldn't be a huge jump, but a couple spots, you never know.

What if the Bulls weren't set on anyone at 22? What if we offered #25, Zubac, and their own 2019 2nd round pick back? They might go for that, you never know! And then:

"With the 22nd pick in the 2018 NBA Draft, the Los Angeles Lakers select...Jontay Porter, Forward/Center, Missouri."

In all honesty though, I bet he goes higher than that. Tankathon has him going 15th.

It's worth a shot, but jumping 5-10 spots for a 2019 2nd seems optimistic. I hope it works out and the Lakers can come away with one of Porter/Robinson.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
misterrunon wrote:
I would like to roll the dice for Mitchell Robinson, but he won't likely be available at pick #25. I'd think somewhere between 15-20 is where he'll be going.

The Lakers unfortunately don't have the goods to move up without tossing in Hart.

I'm not so sure about that. A team was able to move up 2 spots for the Lakers' #28 pick last year, and we ended up with #42 (where we took Bryant). What if we offered the 2019 CHI 2nd (which will likely end up in the 30's), the Denver 2nd this year, or maybe even both? You never know if that could allow us to move up 2-3 spots. It wouldn't be a huge jump, but a couple spots, you never know.

What if the Bulls weren't set on anyone at 22? What if we offered #25, Zubac, and their own 2019 2nd round pick back? They might go for that, you never know! And then:

"With the 22nd pick in the 2018 NBA Draft, the Los Angeles Lakers select...Jontay Porter, Forward/Center, Missouri."

In all honesty though, I bet he goes higher than that. Tankathon has him going 15th.

It's worth a shot, but jumping 5-10 spots for a 2019 2nd seems optimistic. I hope it works out and the Lakers can come away with one of Porter/Robinson.

Yeah there's no way we could get to around 15 with that package. Jontay (or someone else we loved) would have to be in the low-20's for it to happen IMO.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AECUHKkWrXk

Look at how quickly the pass leaves Jontay's hand at :43, when he sees the open man beyond the 3-point line.

Look at how quickly Jontay recognizes the double team at 1:40.

There are a lot of examples here of how I can understand why people on here are excited about his passing. He seems to have really good awareness on the court. As far as his shot, it looks nice, although the stats aren't overwhelming there. Still, 75% FT's is pretty good, and some (like me) think that's a good indicator that he can shoot it well at the next level.

Given his age (doesn't turn 19 until November), skill level, and awareness on the court at that age, I can see why people are excited about him. Get him an NBA body and who knows what he turns into when he's 22-23 years old.

A center version of Kuzma with passing.

Don't think so Mike. Kuzma breaks offense way too frequently with wild shots early in the clock and looks for his own offense way too much. Jo tay is never going to be that type of player IMO. He's team first. You're talking about a guy who just knows how to make the ball move.

Probably getting burned for this comparison, but he actually reminds me of Boris Diaw.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

He's pudgy and a fluid but not explosive athlete.

That's why he's all over the place on draft twitter vs mock drafts. Draft twitter sees the passing/defense, typical mock drafts see the pudge and the shooting. I think he's a lottery talent. I don't think he's some elite swatter but I don't see why he couldn't have a Brook Lopez swat rate. The modern NBA leans so hard to this archetype at 5, that it boosts his draft stock.

How does he compare to Jokic as an athlete?

Jokic was a 2nd round player because the original thought was he had an underdeveloped body and needed to get stronger just to handle the rigors of the NBA.

Jontay looks like any other pudgy 18/19 year old kid. There's room for his frame to get stronger and he's still incredibly young, yet he dealt with the SEC conference quite well considering. He doesn't play too often in the post, but even when he did, he didn't exactly get murdered in the paint. Jokic is molasses. Jontay is more like overweight Kuzma. Doesn't have a blow by step necessarily. Runs the floor well for his size. Doesn't have a great 2-foot standstill jump but give him a bit of runway and he's shows a bit of explosion. His best athletic tool is his post base, and he uses it well.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

He's pudgy and a fluid but not explosive athlete.

That's why he's all over the place on draft twitter vs mock drafts. Draft twitter sees the passing/defense, typical mock drafts see the pudge and the shooting. I think he's a lottery talent. I don't think he's some elite swatter but I don't see why he couldn't have a Brook Lopez swat rate. The modern NBA leans so hard to this archetype at 5, that it boosts his draft stock.

Average height for a center, below average wingspan, below average athlete.

Given those characteristics, it is unlikely he succeeds in the NBA.

You have wingspan measurements? Given his average jump/2nd jump but 7.3% block rate (a good number is 4% to start with as a baseline), I'd guess his wingspan is 7'3".

Also, I definitely wouldn't call him a below average athlete. 6'10" (what they estimate) dudes that actually show the ability to run the floor and actually have coordination/guard skills don't grow off trees so easily. The ones that do, end up as star players.

I'll vehemently disagree with your opinion, especially for below average athlete.

But you know, Durant was the 60th best ranked athlete in his draft too, so...

Last edited by Mike@LG on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWsl89TyPY0 Musa highlights, 6'9 18 year old tearing it up overseas
36% 3s

You're okay with that HS frame and mindblowingly garbage shot selection?

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kuzma breaks offense way too frequently with wild shots early in the clock and looks for his own offense way too much. Jo tay is never going to be that type of player IMO. He's team first. You're talking about a guy who just knows how to make the ball move.

Probably getting burned for this comparison, but he actually reminds me of Boris Diaw.

Combine Kuzma and Boris Diaw if you want to criticize Kuzma's decision-making. My comparison was about what he brings to the floor skill-wise and how he plays athletically, not his decision-making/passing/vision.

Boris Diaw wasn't even close to that level of skill at that age and he was supposed to be a 6'9" PG at the time. Diaw didn't wake up until he was in Phoenix.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWsl89TyPY0 Musa highlights, 6'9 18 year old tearing it up overseas
36% 3s

Ya I think I am. Bad shot selection with solid shot-making at 18, can be honed into something good in a couple years. I'm not really worried about shot-selection at 18.
Skinniness is worst when you don't have really any quickness to beat guys to spots - Ingram. This guy actually has solid quickness and wouldn't get met/bumped on every move.
He was 197lbs in 2015, probably not much more than that now, but I think that weight at 16y.o. shows he'll be able to put on weight decently. Ingram was about 170 at 16, 180 at 18.

Did Hezonja have much better shot selection? I don't think so. Hezonja made some good passes, but I'm talking straight shot-selection...........eh
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
36% 3s

Ya I think I am. Bad shot selection with solid shot-making at 18, can be honed into something good in a couple years. I'm not really worried about shot-selection at 18.
Skinniness is worst when you don't have really any quickness to beat guys to spots - Ingram. This guy actually has solid quickness and wouldn't get met/bumped on every move.
He was 197lbs in 2015, probably not much more than that now, but I think that weight at 16y.o. shows he'll be able to put on weight decently. Ingram was about 170 at 16, 180 at 18.

Did Hezonja have much better shot selection? I don't think so. Hezonja made some good passes, but I'm talking straight shot-selection...........eh

His is worse than Belinelli's. I can't do that.

Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Kuzma breaks offense way too frequently with wild shots early in the clock and looks for his own offense way too much. Jo tay is never going to be that type of player IMO. He's team first. You're talking about a guy who just knows how to make the ball move.

Combine Kuzma and Boris Diaw if you want to criticize Kuzma's decision-making. My comparison was about what he brings to the floor skill-wise and how he plays athletically, not his decision-making/passing/vision.

Boris Diaw wasn't even close to that level of skill at that age and he was supposed to be a 6'9" PG at the time. Diaw didn't wake up until he was in Phoenix.

No no, I agree athletically about Kuzma. I thought you were referring to his in game playing style.

100% agreed on Diaw. He came in to the Hawks as their starting PG rookie year and was exposed pretty quickly. I was more referring to his Bobcats days. Pudgy, not so much of a focal point of the offense (like he was in PHX), but a smart defender, good open shooter, and smart system passer.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
36% 3s

His is worse than Belinelli's. I can't do that.

Is he going to come into the league and do that? That takes a lot of balls.. a good coach should be able to reign that in with an 18 year old
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Jontay Harden?? 6'11 240? Dude has a sweet jumper. Why isn't he top 10?
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

If Michael Porter is KD, his younger brother Jontay Porter is Harden.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

I hope Malik's hand fracture is healed.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

issuf sanon, 18 year old ukrainian PG

6'4, nice handle, nice shooting stroke, aggressive w/ some swagger

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/988492900509077504

draft + stash candidate.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23025540/ukrainian-guard-issuf-sanon-entering-2018-nba-draft
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Is he going to come into the league and do that? That takes a lot of balls.. a good coach should be able to reign that in with an 18 year old

Kobe toned it down a touch, and then made an AWFUL lot of bad shots.

Belinelli, is still basically taking those same shots back then as he is now. He has zero issue with contested, off-balance, perimeter shooting. Musa kind of does the same thing.

Some random dude on twitter suggested that Musa may be considerably older. Grain of salt.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

draft + stash candidate.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23025540/ukrainian-guard-issuf-sanon-entering-2018-nba-draft

Misan?

Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

This video shows exactly why I have issues with Musa and have had issues with him.all along. Shooter who doesn't shoot well, scorer who doesn't do a great job scoring, ball handler who makes bad decision. The guy just plays an overall inefficient brand of basketball. I honestly don't think Luke is the right coach for a guy like Musa.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
https://youtu.be/-uMBgJ5mLQs

Edit: Mods please feel free to embed this video properly

This video shows exactly why I have issues with Musa and have had issues with him.all along. Shooter who doesn't shoot well, scorer who doesn't do a great job scoring, ball handler who makes bad decision. The guy just plays an overall inefficient brand of basketball. I honestly don't think Luke is the right coach for a guy like Musa.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

draft + stash candidate.

Looks like a decent athlete. Reminds me more of a ball handling sg than a point though. Handle looks like it really needs work. Also looked like he was looking to drive and score first and second, pass third.

I did like the cockiness he displayed driving the lane on one play and getting fouled then clapping at the defender as he got ready to run back up court.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:

Yeah man, I just can't.

Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Yeah man, I just can't.

I have him back and forth late 40s/early 50s in most of my big boards. That's only with the mindset he be left overseas until he either becomes a consistent efficient player who can be a SG or he gets enough overseas hype that we can get a future pick for him.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Yeah man, I just can't.

I have him back and forth late 40s/early 50s in most of my big boards. That's only with the mindset he be left overseas until he either becomes a consistent efficient player who can be a SG or he gets enough overseas hype that we can get a future pick for him.

A random dude on twitter told me the age was a lie, fwiw. Apparently he likes to live "the life"

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject:

1. Draft Jontay Porter

2. Put him with Amoila for the off-season till training camp

3. Profit
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 108 of 494
Jump to: