Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
https://youtu.be/-uMBgJ5mLQs

This video shows exactly why I have issues with Musa and have had issues with him.all along. Shooter who doesn't shoot well, scorer who doesn't do a great job scoring, ball handler who makes bad decision. The guy just plays an overall inefficient brand of basketball. I honestly don't think Luke is the right coach for a guy like Musa.

Yeah man, I just can't.

I have him back and forth late 40s/early 50s in most of my big boards. That's only with the mindset he be left overseas until he either becomes a consistent efficient player who can be a SG or he gets enough overseas hype that we can get a future pick for him.

A random dude on twitter told me the age was a lie, fwiw. Apparently he likes to live "the life"

Nah to Musa
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

This video shows exactly why I have issues with Musa and have had issues with him.all along. Shooter who doesn't shoot well, scorer who doesn't do a great job scoring, ball handler who makes bad decision. The guy just plays an overall inefficient brand of basketball. I honestly don't think Luke is the right coach for a guy like Musa.

Yeah man, I just can't.

I have him back and forth late 40s/early 50s in most of my big boards. That's only with the mindset he be left overseas until he either becomes a consistent efficient player who can be a SG or he gets enough overseas hype that we can get a future pick for him.

A random dude on twitter told me the age was a lie, fwiw. Apparently he likes to live "the life"

Nah to Musa

I double the Nah. I just never understood why Musa was ranked so high.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers want to try recapture their Josh Hart magic from last year, could offer the Hawks #25 for #30 and #35 (maybe even add 47 if neccessary?)

FWIW, tankathon has these players available at 30:
Bonga
Frazier
Melton
Alkins
Okobo
Holiday
Shamet

Guys we'd be missing out on: Kyri Thomas, Gary Trent jr, Bruce Brown, Bates-Diop, Hutchison.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject:

mmmm of course, we could have taken Josh Hart at 28, and i'm pessimistic that Bryant is on the Lakers roster a year or two from now, so i guess there's no real "magic" to recapture. Even then i was hoping we would take Sterling Brown and i still feel that way. 
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Yeah man, I just can't.

Nah to Musa

6'9 shoot+dribble....
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject:

When's the draft?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
When's the draft?

June 21st.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject:

NFL Draft is this week....seems like once that concludes, NBA draft content usually increases in intensity.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Yeah man, I just can't.

Nah to Musa

It's good for him to be ranked highly.

It means the better players drop further to us.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
1. Draft Jontay Porter

2. Put him with Amoila for the off-season till training camp

3. Profit

I'm on board with this to the the fullest....
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Yeah man, I just can't.

Nah to Musa

6'9 shoot+dribble....

the combination of handle. fluidity, and size are what jumps out to me most. he's definitely better than 40s/50s in this draft and to have him in the 40s/50s is a pretty ridiculous position to take unless you're willing to share the 40 names you have above him. musa clearly has a skill and size combination that is NBA caliber. musa may end up being a bogdan bogdanovic type story. maybe musa won't show out for his draft team, and might just be a draft+stash to bring over in a few years, but i'd keep an eye on him for his second contract.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/canpelister/status/988749126086127617?s=21

Lakers international scout.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

Anyone have any thoughts on who looks like a better prospect - Jontay Porter or Omari Spellman out of 'Nova?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/canpelister/status/988749126086127617?s=21

Lakers international scout.

Rob Lowe Pelinka with that model pose.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

aint that the super young dude they hired?

shout out to him one time for the one time
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
aint that the super young dude they hired?

shout out to him one time for the one time

Yup, Turkish dude.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
NFL Draft is this week....seems like once that concludes, NBA draft content usually increases in intensity.

As you know adkindo, I'm such an NFL Draft junkie. I've spent hours--hours--researching it. But I'll do the same for the NBA Draft when the time comes. I just can't help it. I'm a sucker for thinking about team-building in sports, and it's why I always get perked up for free agency as it relates to the Lakers.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

The more I look at the draft I either want Jacob Evans for that first pick. I called him shortly after the Lakers got that pick as a classic kind of guy the Lakers would persue, or while it would be early Donte DiVincenzo. I just think he has a moxie and size that does well for position less basketball at the one. I know their is a long list of guys who do well in the tournament who can’t live up to the hype but he can pass and shot the 3 over 40 percent last year in college and improved it. The one guy I absolutely do not want is Aaron Holiday. Look at his tape and tell me his size won’t ultimately limit his ceiling. I should add the other local pg Melton. I don’t mind him. Just no to Holiday.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
The more I look at the draft I either want Jacob Evans for that first pick. I called him shortly after the Lakers got that pick as a classic kind of guy the Lakers would persue, or while it would be early Donte DiVincenzo. I just think he has a moxie and size that does well for position less basketball at the one. I know their is a long list of guys who do well in the tournament who can’t live up to the hype but he can pass and shot the 3 over 40 percent last year in college and improved it. The one guy I absolutely do not want is Aaron Holiday. Look at his tape and tell me his size won’t ultimately limit his ceiling. I should add the other local pg Melton. I don’t mind him. Just no to Holiday.

i'm very in on jacob evans
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
If the Lakers want to try recapture their Josh Hart magic from last year, could offer the Hawks #25 for #30 and #35 (maybe even add 47 if neccessary?)

Bonga
Frazier
Melton
Alkins
Okobo
Holiday
Shamet

Guys we'd be missing out on: Kyri Thomas, Gary Trent jr, Bruce Brown, Bates-Diop, Hutchison.

If tankathon stuck, then I'd have to REALLY debate Chandler Hutchison vs. Landry Shamet + De'Anthony Melton. There's actually an overlap of sorts with De'Anthony Melton, Elie Okobo, Aaron Holiday, and Landry Shamet. That is that rough order I'd draft these guys as of right now.

But, right now, I'd rather have Chandler Hutchison, who I expect can be above average 2-way wing and then run Ingram as a PG to give him more PT once Paul George gets here.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on who looks like a better prospect - Jontay Porter or Omari Spellman out of 'Nova?

Porter. Spellman is a better swatter, but can lapse on defense at times as well. Porter reads defenses MUCH better, with a quicker release on a jumpshot.

Basically
Spellman: Rim protection, 3pt range, offensive rebounds; current Serge Ibaka archetype.

Porter: Passing, 3pt range, straight drive, defensive position; I think of a lot of archetypes and comparisons; Kuzma w + passing, Kirilenko at 6'9 250 w/o the twitch, twilight Arvydas Sabonis archetype.

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Bonga
Frazier
Melton
Alkins
Okobo
Holiday
Shamet

If tankathon stuck, then I'd have to REALLY debate Chandler Hutchison vs. Landry Shamet + De'Anthony Melton. There's actually an overlap of sorts with De'Anthony Melton, Elie Okobo, Aaron Holiday, and Landry Shamet. That is that rough order I'd draft these guys as of right now.

But, right now, I'd rather have Chandler Hutchison, who I expect can be above average 2-way wing and then run Ingram as a PG to give him more PT once Paul George gets here.

If we sign PG and LeBron... doesn't Shamet become the best choice in case Ball is injured or struggles with his shot?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Look at his tape and tell me his size won’t ultimately limit his ceiling. I should add the other local pg Melton. I don’t mind him. Just no to Holiday.

It doesn't limit his ceiling. It just slows him down out of the gate. Doesn't mean he can't learn it. I definitely think he has a higher upside than say, Jalen Brunson or other projected late 1st/early 2nd round PGs. Tony Parker's ceiling wasn't limited by that, and he was a worse draft prospect because he didn't have the vert nor the jumper that Holiday has. He was just able to get into the paint at will and make very basic reads.

This is also why I'm not 100% bought into analytics. Sometimes there are strong correlations in statistics to project upside and outcome, and I'm definitely for that, but also projecting a limited upside because of something that can absolutely be learned? I'm not down with. It's like saying, Kobe was properly picked at #13 (or later) because of his horrid shot selection and defense out of HS, or that Andrew Bynum wasn't a #10 pick because he was just length without the athleticism to back it up, nor any range outside of 5' back then.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

If we sign PG and LeBron... doesn't Shamet become the best choice in case Ball is injured or struggles with his shot?

Offensively, that would make sense.

Defensively? No.

I mean if you draft Shamet and don't land the right FAs, you basically lost in a game of Game Theory. Didn't get BPA. Didn't get FA. You've got a Dynamic shooter with some passing ability.

If you draft someone like Hutch, but don't land the right FAs, at least (I think) you land the BPA and potential starter/2-way player. Streaky shooter? Sure, but at least he can create his own shot, shots for others, and defend 1 position well with some possibility of switching onto 2s by situation.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

the combination of handle. fluidity, and size are what jumps out to me most. he's definitely better than 40s/50s in this draft and to have him in the 40s/50s is a pretty ridiculous position to take unless you're willing to share the 40 names you have above him.

I don't think its a ridiculous position. I watch the kid and see these stick out.
1. Skinny frame.
2. Age (question mark)
3. Shot selection
4. Athleticism
5. PnR ball-handling (looks like he opts for the shot A LOT instead of hitting the roll man, but doesn't have James Harden's efficiency).

Then some dude tells me he's not 18 and likes "the life?" I'd rank him that low too. The worst case of this extreme is Derrick Coleman, who had zero excuse to NOT be in the Hall of Fame. He would WRECK the current NBA. Why isn't he there? Lack of discipline. The life.

In contrast, even if we compared to Aaron Holiday, Aaron has the frame, we know his age, his shot selection isn't great but we know the athleticism, we know his PnR abilities, we know he can create his own shots without screens, and he's 90th percentile catch and shoot. Holiday is roughly a 20-35 rank player.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 109 of 494
Jump to: