Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
Lakers gotta do whatever it takes to trade up to #27

I need to watch him....been hearing his name a lot this year....the only time I recall hearing his name before this season was when he was granted a medical red-shirt last year.

Or is he referring to 27 got us Nance and Kuzma?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
Lakers gotta do whatever it takes to trade up to #27

I need to watch him....been hearing his name a lot this year....the only time I recall hearing his name before this season was when he was granted a medical red-shirt last year.

Or is he referring to 27 got us Nance and Kuzma?

I think he's referring to:
2017: Kuz
2016: Siakam
2015: LNJ
2014: Bogdan Bogdanavic
2013: Rudy Gobert

all of whom have been solid players.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

When: @ 2:15 PM (EST)
Where: ESPN (well really in Tuscaloosa)
What: Tray Young vs. Collin Sexton
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Young is for real with his shooting and passing
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Late reply, but thanks for the input about Trier, 44TheLogo!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

think Sexton got the best of Young today...'Bama wins 80-73 over Oklahoma.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

I think Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk is an example of college hurting your development some, rather than just staying in Europe and playing with grown men. I remember a mix tape of him when he was like 17 and he was a man among boys. I think he will be a good shooter at the 2 in the vein of evan fournier.
At 44 him or Trier (whoever is still avail since we will need a backup 2) would be a good get.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Christopher Walken wrote:
I think Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk is an example of college hurting your development some, rather than just staying in Europe and playing with grown men. I remember a mix tape of him when he was like 17 and he was a man among boys. I think he will be a good shooter at the 2 in the vein of evan fournier.
At 44 him or Trier (whoever is still avail since we will need a backup 2) would be a good get.

I disagree unless he has some outstanding workout.

He's been the exact same guy for 3 years straight. The difference is slightly more efficiency without even adding more range, and a few more closeout attacks.

I'm really disappointed in his development. He practically lost his age curve in 3 years.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

He's been the exact same guy for 3 years straight. The difference is slightly more efficiency without even adding more range, and a few more closeout attacks.

I'm really disappointed in his development. He practically lost his age curve in 3 years.

This. I like him as a spot up shooter in the veign of James Jones, Sasha Pavlovic, Sasha Vujacic.... But this kid was so far ahead of everyone else in his age group in Europe it isn't even funny. Everyone expect him.to be the next Gino. Not sure if Bill Self put the shackles on him and stopped his development or he was just simply a case of early development where he is a "man amongst boys" but whatever it was, the development has stalled.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

This. I like him as a spot up shooter in the veign of James Jones, Sasha Pavlovic, Sasha Vujacic.... But this kid was so far ahead of everyone else in his age group in Europe it isn't even funny. Everyone expect him.to be the next Gino. Not sure if Bill Self put the shackles on him and stopped his development or he was just simply a case of early development where he is a "man amongst boys" but whatever it was, the development has stalled.

Great call on Pavlovic. Couldn't think of his name but that's exactly who he reminds me of. Dude just sits on the line, doesn't defend, and I don't think he'll hit well against NBA contests.

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Jackson, Bridges, Fernando all underwhelming today.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

Where do you guys think Bridges from Michigan state goes?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:

Lottery.

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Fernando and Allen might have played themselves down to 45 after this weekend.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

I'm starting to fall in love with Wendell Carter, Jr. like he's a 6'10 Karl-Anthony Towns.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I'm starting to fall in love with Wendell Carter, Jr. like he's a 6'10 Karl-Anthony Towns.

He's currently a top 10 pick. IF we had the pick that Philly does we'd have a chance at him.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

He's currently a top 10 pick. IF we had the pick that Philly does we'd have a chance at him.

There's probably no way for the Lakers to move up into the late lottery where Carter might slip if teams with stocked front courts like Utah, Philly, and NYK draft for fit over BPA. Which is a total shame, because Carter would be so perfect on this Lakers team.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

Carter has a very good base for being a solid NBA player. Much less risky pick than Bagley, similar in some respects to how I felt about Kennard vs Tatum.

I think he still has some offensive IQ issues but he's a good defensive big + offensive role player. Commonly comped with Al Horford.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Is Carter Jr similar along the lines of WCS?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

no.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

Oh, believe me when I'm looking anyone that resembles WCS as an archetype.

Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:

To jail if he's involved in any of the Michigan State mess.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

Carter has a very good base for being a solid NBA player. Much less risky pick than Bagley, similar in some respects to how I felt about Kennard vs Tatum.

I think he still has some offensive IQ issues but he's a good defensive big + offensive role player. Commonly comped with Al Horford.

I like his offensive IQ for the most part, especially for his age and compared to his peers in this draft. No one's going to confuse him for Nikola Jokic, but he's demonstrated sufficient awareness and vision to hit shooters and cutters out of the double team, he looks like he can feed the post competently in a high/low look, and he's flashed passing on the move like he did with a couple early assists to Bagley in the recent Virginia game: link. I have seen him get out of control off the dribble and force it up in a crowd at the rim a la Julius, but the hope is that's something that can be coached out of him over time and the feel he shows on defense and as a passer for his position are the more telling signs.

My only concern is his FT shooting, but the stroke from deep looks good, and without seeing his shot chart, his midrange jumper seems nearly automatic. And while it's only flashes, seeing an 18 year old hitting a fluid turnaround bankshot gets me irrationally excited that his game may be surpressed on a stacked Duke team that goes through Bagley as its #1 option, and that his offensive upside is greater than Al Horford's who never put up 20 points per36 in his three year college career while WCJ is putting up 22 per36 as a freshman.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

To jail if he's involved in any of the Michigan State mess.

The Michigan State issues are connected to incidents that occurred between 2010-2012 and have nothing to do with Miles Bridges.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

I like his offensive IQ for the most part, especially for his age and compared to his peers in this draft. No one's going to confuse him for Nikola Jokic, but he's demonstrated sufficient awareness and vision to hit shooters and cutters out of the double team, he looks like he can feed the post competently in a high/low look, and he's flashed passing on the move like he did with a couple early assists to Bagley in the recent Virginia game: link. I have seen him get out of control off the dribble and force it up in a crowd at the rim a la Julius, but the hope is that's something that can be coached out of him over time and the feel he shows on defense and as a passer for his position are the more telling signs.

My only concern is his FT shooting, but the stroke from deep looks good, and without seeing his shot chart, his midrange jumper seems nearly automatic. And while it's only flashes, seeing an 18 year old hitting a fluid turnaround bankshot gets me irrationally excited that his game may be surpressed on a stacked Duke team that goes through Bagley as its #1 option, and that his offensive upside is greater than Al Horford's who never put up 20 points per36 in his three year college career while WCJ is putting up 22 per36 as a freshman.

i think carter has some upside as a high post offensive initiator. where i've noticed he has some deficiencies is related to reading what to do after setting on ball screens. he rolls hard when he should short roll or pop based on the defensive coverage.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 18 of 494
Jump to: