Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 213, 214, 215 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I don't think Ayton should be as highly regarded as he is.

Why?

I think he's a bad defender, mostly.

Gotcha. Yeah, his awareness is really poor and it's going to make him unplayable in a playoff series. Where would you draft him if you were a GM?

I don't like answering this, because there's no depth to my knowledge of the top picks. I have a very superficial understanding of their games.

I really like Jaren Jackson. I'd do a ton of homework about his work ethic if I was a GM, and if it came back that he was a hard worker who genuinely loves the game, I'd draft him #1. Doncic would be #2, or #1 if the reports on JJJ's work ethic were lukewarm. I like Trae Young as well, although he has bigger defensive concerns, but at a less important defensive position. I'd probably have Bamba ahead of him as well. So 5th or 6th, depending on how Porter looks these days?

Again...superficial knowledge here, so take it with a grain of salt.

I have Bamba>JJJ because Bamba is much better in a stance on the perimeter as well as higher paint protecting upside
https://twitter.com/HoopInDetail/status/998015781987205121 Bamba spectacular in a stance
https://twitter.com/HoopInDetail/status/998013567944163328 JJJ doesn't have that hip-switch quickness, might not be able to guard well at all on switches

and Bamba and JJJ's jumper's might be on the same level honestly, with Bamba's reconstruction.

I'm having flashbacks to last summer's draft twitter takes on Lonzo's defense.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

DOUBLE POST. SORRY LG.

Last edited by AFireInside619 on Sat May 19, 2018 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Anyone have their ideas for #47? Working on a list of guys right now..

Carsen Edwards
Jalen Hudson
Bruce Brown
Alize Johnson
Allonzo Trier
Landry Shamet

Isaac Bonga
Kostas Antetokounmpo
Rodions Kurucs
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Shake Milton

Basically shooters or high upside players.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Endless3D wrote:
Pre Draft scrimmage with some of the prospects and Thomas Bryant:

Damn, I don't think Thomas Bryant is even close to being ready to have consistent minutes in the league. He doesn't look like a guy that's been in the NBA for a year, doesn't stand out at all.

T.Byrant giving 60% effort is going to be the slowest laterally moving player on a court..so.. not much we can really take from this
Agreed
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

epak wrote:
Anyone think Simons can drop to round 2?

It's certainly possible, but I don't see how a team could feel good about needing to make a decision on him after having him for only 2 years, which is what happens with 2nd Round picks. You almost need to make the commitment to having him in your program for 4 years, which you get for 1st Round selections. So I'm guessing that a team will end up taking him somewhere in the 20's, and perhaps it will be a team that has multiple 1st Rounders like Atlanta.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

Endless3D wrote:

Damn, I don't think Thomas Bryant is even close to being ready to have consistent minutes in the league. He doesn't look like a guy that's been in the NBA for a year, doesn't stand out at all.

Rico Hines! The former Bruin most famous for hitting Matt Barnes over the head with a folding chair.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Why?

Gotcha. Yeah, his awareness is really poor and it's going to make him unplayable in a playoff series. Where would you draft him if you were a GM?

I don't like answering this, because there's no depth to my knowledge of the top picks. I have a very superficial understanding of their games.

I really like Jaren Jackson. I'd do a ton of homework about his work ethic if I was a GM, and if it came back that he was a hard worker who genuinely loves the game, I'd draft him #1. Doncic would be #2, or #1 if the reports on JJJ's work ethic were lukewarm. I like Trae Young as well, although he has bigger defensive concerns, but at a less important defensive position. I'd probably have Bamba ahead of him as well. So 5th or 6th, depending on how Porter looks these days?

I have Bamba>JJJ because Bamba is much better in a stance on the perimeter as well as higher paint protecting upside
https://twitter.com/HoopInDetail/status/998015781987205121 Bamba spectacular in a stance
https://twitter.com/HoopInDetail/status/998013567944163328 JJJ doesn't have that hip-switch quickness, might not be able to guard well at all on switches

and Bamba and JJJ's jumper's might be on the same level honestly, with Bamba's reconstruction.

Hip-fluidity for bigs stands out... there is more variance in different bigs in terms of this..Zo still fits in to what a 6'6 guy is laterally, while his defensive strengths are really off-ball playmaking, playing safety.
Bigs can be played off the court if they can't defend on the perimeter, Zo's D isn't that bad in any facet
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Carsen Edwards
Jalen Hudson
Bruce Brown
Alize Johnson
Allonzo Trier
Landry Shamet

Isaac Bonga
Kostas Antetokounmpo
Rodions Kurucs
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Shake Milton

Kevin Hervey | SF | UT-Arlington has looked good in the scrimmages; worth a look.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Why?

Hip-fluidity for bigs stands out... there is more variance in different bigs in terms of this..Zo still fits in to what a 6'6 guy is laterally, while his defensive strengths are really off-ball playmaking, playing safety.
Bigs can be played off the court if they can't defend on the perimeter, Zo's D isn't that bad in any facet

I'm more interested in JJJ's footwork (which can be cleaned up) and the angles he takes to recover and cut off drives/get in position to swat. Those JJJ clips didn't concern me, they impressed me.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Endless3D wrote:

Watched a lot of Bryant in the G-league. Able to score due to length, 3 pt shot and playing at a fast pace giving him open scores in transition. Needs a lot of physical/strength training as he lacked muscular development. Defensive aptitude is weak. He is not ready to play major rotation minutes.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Endless3D wrote:

Rico Hines! The former Bruin most famous for hitting Matt Barnes over the head with a folding chair.

I thought Rico was famous for marrying Pam from the tv show Martin. Then cheating on her and getting caught
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Why?

I'm more interested in JJJ's footwork (which can be cleaned up) and the angles he takes to recover and cut off drives/get in position to swat. Those JJJ clips didn't concern me, they impressed me.

If college athletes are putting him at that much of a disadvantage when he has to open his hips, watch out for NBA athletes - it'll be too late to recover at that point
If you're impressed by those clips then you're too results oriented looking at him playing vs lesser comp - he got the block, but a weak attribute was exposed, and hip-fluidity is an important attribute
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Okay. I just watch a few minutes of meaningless highlights. I'm in on Mitchell Robinson. Goodbye Zu. I'm not sure if he could do anything other than dunk, block 5'0" high schoolers, and make the occasional 3... but sign me up. The question now is, will he be there at 25? And where does he fit if we have better veterans coming in hoping to win now. Will we be patient enough to develop him? And that puts an extra log jam in there for Randle and Kuz. If this kid is good, it might mean Randle can't play the 5 as much and less minutes for Kuz.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Why?

If college athletes are putting him at that much of a disadvantage when he has to open his hips, watch out for NBA athletes - it'll be too late to recover at that point
If you're impressed by those clips then you're too results oriented looking at him playing vs lesser comp - he got the block, but a weak attribute was exposed, and hip-fluidity is an important attribute

Again, it feels very Lonzo college defense criticism to me where the obvious skill and acumen to make the defensive play is being downplayed because of a lack of absolute prototype physical attributes - and for an 18 year old coltish big at that.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Carsen Edwards
Jalen Hudson
Bruce Brown
Alize Johnson
Allonzo Trier
Landry Shamet

Isaac Bonga
Kostas Antetokounmpo
Rodions Kurucs
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Shake Milton

I've been very busy with work and haven't been able to scout as much as i like to pretend to.

Anyway i remember a month ago Milton was projected at 25 now hes a second round talent?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Carsen Edwards
Jalen Hudson
Bruce Brown
Alize Johnson
Allonzo Trier
Landry Shamet

Isaac Bonga
Kostas Antetokounmpo
Rodions Kurucs
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Shake Milton

I've been very busy with work and haven't been able to scout as much as i like to pretend to.

Anyway i remember a month ago Milton was projected at 25 now hes a second round talent?

I still feel he is better than 47 but he may drop to the 2nd due to his combine performance. Don't feel he was really exposed like Shamet, just had a bad 2 days. Still a pure shooter with combo guard potential.

I would not mind if he is taken at 25 as I prefer shooters in this draft. However there are other good shooters who also project better defensively that I probably would consider before Shake. Khyri Thomas is one although he has his distractors here.

Last edited by PlantedTanks on Sat May 19, 2018 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Carsen Edwards
Jalen Hudson
Bruce Brown
Alize Johnson
Allonzo Trier
Landry Shamet

Isaac Bonga
Kostas Antetokounmpo
Rodions Kurucs
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Shake Milton

Shake it Off
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Carsen Edwards - Fred Vanvleet
Jalen Hudson - Caris Levert
Bruce Brown - taller Norman Powell
Alize Johnson- Daniel Hamilton
Allonzo Trier - Wayne Ellington
Landry Shamet - tough one. Some similarities to Shaun Livingston

For fun did NBA comparison. Carsen and Alize would be nice at 47.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Anfernee Simmons plays just like Fultz, without the 7 foot wingspan. Has some toughness in him as well.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Shamet is length between a PG-SG, Livingston has legit SF length. Shamet is supposed to be a 3pt shooter. They're not similar at all imo
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Shamet is length between a PG-SG, Livingston has legit SF length. Shamet is supposed to be a 3pt shooter. They're not similar at all imo

agree thought i was missing something when i read it.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Bamba is ahead of Jjj defensive footwork right now. Jjj jumps into his close outs instead of chopping his steps. It’s something that can be fixed easily but I’d be working hard on footwork if I’m Jjj.

I really like Alize Johnson too
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Bamba is ahead of Jjj defensive footwork right now. Jjj jumps into his close outs instead of chopping his steps. It’s something that can be fixed easily but I’d be working hard on footwork if I’m Jjj.

I really like Alize Johnson too

There was only one hard closeout in that sequence..
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

agree thought i was missing something when i read it.

Yeah that was a tough comparison. I considered body type and skills. If you remember when Livingston first came into the league he was very skinny and he was a point guard. The injury forced him to change his game where he plays less perimeter, bulked up and plays as a slasher with post up.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
what do u think of Mitchell Robinson , GT?

I don't know how anyone can have a strong opinion about him since he hasn't played in a high-level, competitive game. He definitely pops in terms of his combination of size/athleticism/coordination though.

thanks its weird there is rumor that we promised him @25

The only thing I'd say is that I wouldn't put it past the Lakers' Front Office to work out a guy like him in secret. But yeah...if you haven't seen a guy play in a competitive game and you haven't worked him out, you're not gonna give him a promise.

And even if they did work him out, it would have to be an AMAZING workout to give him a promise considering his history. I don't buy it, but stranger things have happened.

He just doesn't strike me as a Laker pick. Obviously Im a big Robinson supporter, but if I'm.trying to get in the mind of the LaL front office, just seems like there are A Lot of guys who would be ahead of him. One thing I did think though, was that in interviews I've heard from him, he did actually seem pretty well spoken and humble. Much more intelligent than people give him.credit for. His biggest problem.is his family loyalty.

Like yourself, I just can't see it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 213, 214, 215 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 214 of 494
Jump to: