Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I know it's not necessarily an indicator of where he is overall as a prospect, but in this video he goes from the 3pt line on the opposite side, takes one "dribble" and dunks on the other end.

I'm not sure if there are five guys in the world who could do that. Imagine him out on the break with the type of pace LA wants to play with. It would create a lot of gravity.

That video made me go from “what the hell are the Lakers thinking” to “they might be genius” when I first saw it.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Agreed. Lebron's and Steph's endorsement had me curious, early. But down the stretch, I saw a bunch of ill-advised shots and the inability to beat physical, man-to-man defense. I saw OKST, Kansas and I think West Virginia (or maybe it was tex tech) all lock him down with no help for the primary defender. Not a good sign.

And yet, still the 2nd best offense in the NCAA.

Once he gets NBA training and gets some strength, and is no longer the sole focus of a defense, I think all that stuff disappears.

Dude already plays LeBron minutes and had over 10 assists per game at least 10 times this season. His assist rate is 48.7%. #1 NCAA assists per game. #1 USG per game. #1 Offensive Box Plus/Minus. #1 Points produced. #1Fts. #1 FTA.

For real, if we didn't know it was Trae Young, we'd think he was LeBron with those records.

Someone should just do a statistic for all plays that Trae Young scored or assisted of the total Oklahoma offense.

Shrug.

Yeah, but he couldn't get past Jevon Carter in that one possession in that one game.

Riddle me that!

Shrug is right.

There were plenty on here (not saying you, Mike) making similar, passionate cases for Oakafor who I hated as a prospect in comparison to Towns. I only saw KAT as the only true game changer and my injury concerns with Porzy has proven to be right as well.

I am not saying Young will not be good, but I have doubts and I am concerned. We will not have a shot to draft him anyway, so no point in debating his merits or weaknesses, further. Lets just agree to revisit around ASG of year three. I think its way to early to even judge last year's rook's. After year one everyone here was lamenting why we did not take Porzy but now that he is injured, I would NOT trade Randle for him straight up but he was the "unicorn" after 40 games in NBA circles. (and yes injury does matter and why that concerns me even more than Lonzo's form.). Ingram looked shaky at best after one year and simmons and Embiid were injured for theirs.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
I know it's not necessarily an indicator of where he is overall as a prospect, but in this video he goes from the 3pt line on the opposite side, takes one "dribble" and dunks on the other end.

I'm not sure if there are five guys in the world who could do that. Imagine him out on the break with the type of pace LA wants to play with. It would create a lot of gravity.

That video made me go from “what the hell are the Lakers thinking” to “they might be genius” when I first saw it.

We agree on a center prospect!
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

We agree on a center prospect!

It was bound to happen eventually
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/998991051460259840

Quote:
They have no promise made, told that's not fact based

no promise to mitchell robinson.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

even if we promised him, i think he will be drafted before our pick.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

Quote:

Thought so.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Quote:

Thought so.

The report of the promise AND the refuting report are unsubstantiated. But the facts hint that Robinson was promised by somebody. Why else would a guy who didn’t play college ball with those physical gifts pull out of the combine? I think he was promised, but I’m not sure if it was by the Lakers.

Last edited by BigGameHames on Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Quote:

Thought so.

yea none of it made sense to me. weird thing to leak too.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
What's everyone's read on Jerome Robinson? Only noticed him now because SI's latest Mock/ Big Board conspicuously forgot to put his name in boldface, so I was almost wondering if they were trying an anti-jinx on him...

Seems like a legit scorer and his measurables (6-4 w/o shoes, 6-7 span) look decent. But how's his defense and decision-making? Is he a "good-player on a bad team," or a "good player only because he was on a bad team"?

He's been on my list awhile. Ahead of Frazier, behind Hutchison.

Mike I saw your ranking of the guys you think the Lakers should draft...Curious, if rumors are true about the Lakers interest of Mitch Robinson, to the point they advised him to shut it down because they would draft him, what do you think of him? I know there is not much on him regarding video, games etc. Was interested in your thoughts.

Had a good twitter convo this morning about this.

I'll start with another guy, Anfernee Simons. At least when it comes to Simons, he's staying a 5th year at IMG Academy, but turned down 8 scholarships to big schools. At the very least with the highlight reel, it's easy to see the quickness, athleticism, speed, effortless shot, and Iso-ball-handling. I'm good with this. Skilled guards equate winning basketball, especially ones that can score.

When it comes to MR, the highlights look exactly what Ed Davis, Brandon Wright look like. Lob dunks, length, swats to be king of the sand on the volleyball court. But these kinds of centers, don't stay on the floor, and they don't close games. DAJ doesn't close. Drummond doesn't close. Do we even know what MR's FT% is? Draftable centers that contribute to winning basketball, at least have to show expanding perimeter range (Ayton from 18', but hinting at 3pt range) (JJJ and Bagley both at 40% on 3-4 attempts per game) and/or ability to switch on defense (JJJ, WCJ at least have flashed ability here).

So, if MR decommits from a school because a family friend/relative left, doesn't go back to another (I'm guessing there's an NCAA thing about redshirting a year for transferring schools) and isn't with a higher end trainer like Clint Parks, Drew Hanlen, IMG Academy, etc., then, what exactly did he work on this whole time?

I guess I'm especially peeved, because De'Anthony Melton played a year at the NCAA level, but forced to miss the rest of the season that wasn't his fault, yet, it was clear he was working with professionals retraining his shot. He's also younger than Mitchell Robinson. So, if you're drafting for athletic upside, and age is a component to that, where's the development? I don't trust the ball-handling or his jumpshooting at HS to translate at all, and his recent "practice" videos just reconfirmed that idea.

If he interviews well, and it has to be awfully good because there's a lot of smart guys in this draft, then fine. LAL scouts/executives are aware of aspects of him as a player and person that the public isn't privy to. But at #25, in terms of development, it's like he's running a 40 yard dash starting 10 yards behind. All that stuff on twitter that he engages in, I'm not happy with either.

Simons OTOH? Quiet.

Simons has the body of a 15 year old. Not sure why you trust that Melton is suddenly going to be able to become a shooter but Mitchell isn't? And why doesn't it matter everyone else thinks? It should only matter what you think that why it's a personal opinion. None of what ANY of us think is going to have any barring on the final decision LAL makes so it's not worth getting peeved at...no?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

btw, that ringer report on divincenzo reportedly leaning towards going back to school is wrong.

https://twitter.com/YahooSportsNBA/status/998608336399585280
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Video is tantalizing...
Old time Lakers fan will remember Earl Jones. First rounder for Lakers during showtime. Seven footer that ran like the wind but was a total bust.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

Travis Bickle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Video is tantalizing...
Old time Lakers fan will remember Earl Jones. First rounder for Lakers during showtime. Seven footer that ran like the wind but was a total bust.

Too young for that comp but the kids floor can’t be much lower than Javale McGee right? I’ll take a risk on that.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
btw, that ringer report on divincenzo reportedly leaning towards going back to school is wrong.

Stupid Celtic homer, KOC!
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Same. Hes growing on me.

hes a risk. but he looks like a freak. in a good way.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Simons has the body of a 15 year old. Not sure why you trust that Melton is suddenly going to be able to become a shooter but Mitchell isn't? And why doesn't it matter everyone else thinks? It should only matter what you think that why it's a personal opinion. None of what ANY of us think is going to have any barring on the final decision LAL makes so it's not worth getting peeved at...no?

Because I read that while he still has work to do, he made improvements gaining strength as well.

Melton is already with a shooting coach.

Here's some workout footage in Atlanta. Does this not look translatable?
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/978381784118382592

Quote:

Melton resisted getting back into the gym at first, but he soon realized he needed to focus on the next stage of his life rather than dwell on his situation at USC. He worked with trainers of NBA players. He sometimes played three-on-three or four-on-four. It wasn't a substitute for playing on a team, but he did the best he could to make up for it.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-nba-combine-melton-20180517-story.html

Who is MR's shooting coach?

^Does that look translatable to you?

If so, we're definitely going to disagree on translatability.

Also, if it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, then why am I repeatedly asked why I'm not good with Mitchell Robinson?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

For those going through DX withdrawals this time of year, this fellow has put together some good looking scouting vids of the top draft prospects on YT and may work his way down to prospects in the Lakers range: YT link
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

For those going through DX withdrawals this time of year, this fellow has put together some good looking scouting vids of the top draft prospects on YT and may work his way down to prospects in the Lakers range: YT link

Another one?

Man, I was all good with Cody Wright making vids without any analysis and rewinding back and forth... Seems like a super nice guy too.

*Gets more coffee*

Good find BVH.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Another one?

Man, I was all good with Cody Wright making vids without any analysis and rewinding back and forth... Seems like a super nice guy too.

*Gets more coffee*

Good find BVH.

If you have a link to Cody Wright's vids I'll add it to the 1st page.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Another one?

*Gets more coffee*

Good find BVH.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgEbcrmmXIlfK4byAz4W4hA/videos

Runs two twitter accounts but usually under @nbadraftwire. Usually has 2-3 vids on even obscure or late round prospects. 3min to 8min stuff.

justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Also in that Yahoo article, Donovan Mitchell has been mentoring Anfernee Simons. So cool.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Another one?

*Gets more coffee*

Good find BVH.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgEbcrmmXIlfK4byAz4W4hA/videos

Runs two twitter accounts but usually under @nbadraftwire. Usually has 2-3 vids on even obscure or late round prospects. 3min to 8min stuff.

Added, thank you! I do follow his stuff after seeing you re-tweet some of his clips. He does good work.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Added, thank you! I do follow his stuff after seeing you re-tweet some of his clips. He does good work.

Yeah, don't know how he does it. Sometimes I'll make requests and get a 2 minute reel within an hour. Had no idea he had gametape of Kyle Allman Jr., so I'm pretty sure he can find anything on guys within the Top 100 or so.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I feel like there should be a Kevin Huerter v. Dzanan Musa LG scouting challenge.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 230 of 494
Jump to: