Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
I personally would move 25th pick, next years first, Chicago 2nd, and Zu or Bryant to get to 16-18 range if he is still there.

I understand the want for Huerter but in a draft this deep there will be a lot of good prospects at 25. Why give up next years draft when you can still find a player equally as good but just with a different skill set?

Equally as good is debatable... However I'm down to move next year's pick to move up for not-Huerter too, if the Lakers like someone else. Weaker draft next year and this squad should be better next season, making that pick worth less in 2019 to the Lakers than it would by trading it in this draft.

Yes very debateable and not being a troll or ah..le but maybe better. For example Bruce Brown may not be the shooter of Hueter's caliber but his defense and ability to drive the paint is on another level that Hueter will most likely never reach. Which is more valuable? That defense is pretty tempting.

I guess what I am trying to say is at 25 there are many prospects who have Josh Hart potential and possibly a hidden Kuzma. I trust the scouting staff to find the right prospect for the Lakers.

Look if there's anyone who I trust late in the draft it's the Lakers. If they find great value sitting at 25 without giving up assets I trust them. But I also think they have a pick that is more valuable this season than it is next season to them, and if there's a guy (whoever it is) they really value, that pick could be a great asset for trading up.

RE: Bruce Brown, really liked him last year. I'm just not a big fan of drafting guys who stay in college & don't improve the following season. So I hesitate on Brown, I hesitate on Evans... would prefer DiVincenzo or Frazier or Melton.
hellsling
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject:

There is no guarantee the Lakers are a playoff team next year. It is stupid to trade a potential lottery pick to move 10 pots in a draft. A lot of things can change in a draft. The 2013 was seen as a weak draft, but turned out to be a strong one with Oladipo, Giannis, Gobert, Mccollum, Adams etc...
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Mychal Thompson redux

Does he add more than Bryant? Maybe potentially a better defender with Bryant having the better 3 ball.

He's a better defender. He plays stronger than his weight suggests, but dude has a steal rate over 3% (that's better than most NCAA guards, unusually high), has a block rate over 6% (on par with Ayton and Bruno Fernando) with an offensive rebounding rate over 13% (10% is the average around here); 17%+ total rebounding rate.

Basically, he has the same touch issues as Mychal Thompson, but same kind of energy, motor, bounce. Just watched gametape of him frustrating Wendell Carter Jr., and it was surprising how well he held up considering the -30lb. disadvantage.

So to sum it up, it's like watching Bo Outlaw (with at least a prayer of a shot to get better), but quicker, longer, faster, same post base. I think he's a guy that can scare teams on PnR hedges and switch down the line, and has shown multiple times that he can actually grab and go (which really surprised me).

But, dude has the hands of a guard, 9 x 9...

He looks like a better prospect at 47 than those euros.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:

hellsling wrote:
There is no guarantee the Lakers are a playoff team next year. It is stupid to trade a potential lottery pick to move 10 pots in a draft. A lot of things can change in a draft. The 2013 was seen as a weak draft, but turned out to be a strong one with Oladipo, Giannis, Gobert, Mccollum, Adams etc...

I think the difference with how the draft is seen just from 2017 to 2013 is drastic.

The overall box +/- of last year's rookie crop is near historic. 4 of the top 5 guys since at least 2000.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Can't do anything but shoot.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/robert-franks-1.html

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject:

What if Robert Williams makes it to 25? Is he Thomas Robinson?
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
I been watching Grayson for 4 years as a Duke die hard and I wouldn’t draft him, ever. Dude is flat out dirty, and completely brainless. He can’t create anything against nba athleticism - all he does is drive straight line at the rim going full speed off curls, or catch and shoot. He’s not an nba player. There’s no world in which he is a better prospect than Donte DiVincenzo, period. You can quote me on that.

Those incidents look like signs of mental weakness. Like he couldn't compete effectively, so he was going to resort those tactics; talent aside.

You put me in a spot here. I hate defending Grayson, and I agree somewhat with what you're saying, but I've never heard anyone say anything like that about Draymond. And he's about as dirty as it comes in this era of buddy ball. Not to mention, guys like Larry Bird, Bill Lambier, Charles Oakley and even John Stockton would get in on the dirty plays from time to time. Hell, Detroit made their mark and won two championships on the back of their tough ways.
Jstock12
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Bill Oram has too much Grayson Allen content. We need Huerter content.

Oram's a fan of his.

Probably generates clicks, too, if an article about draft workouts leads with Allen over Huerter or Kubolka.

Did you like anyone else there at #47 or an UDFA? Freeman? Kubolka?

I liked what I saw of Kubolka, with the caveat that we don't get to see much. He had a nice stroke and is a fluid athlete. Freeman didn't stand out either way, and Makur Maker looked out of his element.

Did they put the ball in Kunolka's hands any and make him make decisions? Seemed like he was a guy like Ingles if I'm thinking of the right guy.

Kulboka can make some plays.

Here's him finding his teammates with some pretty nice passes:
https://streamable.com/jmimr
https://streamable.com/bghz5
https://streamable.com/i3xfc

Here's him creating his own shot with a crossover stepback (at 6'10):
https://streamable.com/or7qg
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject:

Not sure if anyone posted the post workout interview of the people’s champion Kevin Huerter but here it is:

http://youtu.be/y3V_dQRhka4

The thought of him letting it fly next year is so tempting.

Last edited by HOF Rookie on Sat May 26, 2018 5:17 am; edited 2 times in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject:

Los Angeles Lakers set to workout LiAngelo Ball, Lonzo Ball’s brother

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers are going to be working out LiAngelo Ball, Lonzo Ball’s younger brother, following the holiday weekend.
The Los Angeles Lakers have been hard at work evaluating prospects for the 2018 NBA Draft. The Lakers have held numerous pre-draft workouts. Some, such as the one that local product and USC forward, Chimezie Metu, participated in drew more attention than others. The next workout the team is holding will blow away any other workout in terms of attention.

Following the holiday weekend, the Lakers will be hosting a workout with LiAngelo Ball, the younger brother of point guard and No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft, Lonzo Ball.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2018/05/26/los-angeles-lakers-set-workout-liangelo-ball-lonzo-balls-brother/
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
I been watching Grayson for 4 years as a Duke die hard and I wouldn’t draft him, ever. Dude is flat out dirty, and completely brainless. He can’t create anything against nba athleticism - all he does is drive straight line at the rim going full speed off curls, or catch and shoot. He’s not an nba player. There’s no world in which he is a better prospect than Donte DiVincenzo, period. You can quote me on that.

Those incidents look like signs of mental weakness. Like he couldn't compete effectively, so he was going to resort those tactics; talent aside.

You put me in a spot here. I hate defending Grayson, and I agree somewhat with what you're saying, but I've never heard anyone say anything like that about Draymond. And he's about as dirty as it comes in this era of buddy ball. Not to mention, guys like Larry Bird, Bill Lambier, Charles Oakley and even John Stockton would get in on the dirty plays from time to time. Hell, Detroit made their mark and won two championships on the back of their tough ways.

And those 80s players are gone and I think Dray cost GSW a championship. Grayson isn't even at the level of talent, so what are we talking about here? Why draft a player that puts a team in this situation?

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject:

This vid of Okogie makes me think he has a high bust rate. Makes some good defensive plays. Gets to the FT line. That's probably what sticks out to analytics. Zero explosiveness in traffic. High swat rate against at the rim to mid-range. Misses wildly on some shots, misses open 3s.

Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

And those 80s players are gone and I think Dray cost GSW a championship. Grayson isn't even at the level of talent, so what are we talking about here? Why draft a player that puts a team in this situation?

Truth.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

How did Draymond cost them a title? Because of one game? He didn't get suspended over a kick. He got suspended over a BS foul that was initiated by LBJ. And if you read I've said countless times I'm have no interest in drafting Grayson, but it has nothing to do with him.bejng a "dirty" player. Simply because I think there are a TON better players to be had at 47 than him. So yeah, what ARE we talking about?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

I don't know man. I don't understand why you're even partially defending Grayson.

I've already stated that I wouldn't draft him based on his merits or skills anyway. But the intangibles part? Absolutely not. No draft list stuff. Just because Dray has done it doesn't mean I like it either. At least he didn't have a history of it prior to the NBA.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
What if Robert Williams makes it to 25? Is he Thomas Robinson?

Unlike Robinson, Williams is a legit rim protector with a reported 7'5-ish wingspan. He's mostly a hustle big on offense with a little righthanded hook, but he's more of a lob threat than Robinson ever was and Williams has some sneaky passing chops whereas Robinson was a turnover machine for most of his college career, which carried over to the pros.

Optimistically Williams will be more like Jordan Bell with better rim protection (Bell only has a 6'11 wingspan).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
I personally would move 25th pick, next years first, Chicago 2nd, and Zu or Bryant to get to 16-18 range if he is still there.

I understand the want for Huerter but in a draft this deep there will be a lot of good prospects at 25. Why give up next years draft when you can still find a player equally as good but just with a different skill set?

Equally as good is debatable... However I'm down to move next year's pick to move up for not-Huerter too, if the Lakers like someone else. Weaker draft next year and this squad should be better next season, making that pick worth less in 2019 to the Lakers than it would by trading it in this draft.

If they strike out on free agents, the 2019 pick is going to be a late lotto selection. Even in a weaker draft a 10-14 pick is a lot of value to give up, and on a personal mental health note, I don't know if I can handle another year without the Lakers having complete control of their draft pick unless they're a surefire playoff team.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

There’s no way Melvin Frazier gets past Milwaukee at 17 right? That’s such a Milwaukee FO pick.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:

If they strike out on free agents, the 2019 pick is going to be a late lotto selection. Even in a weaker draft a 10-14 pick is a lot of value to give up, and on a personal mental health note, I don't know if I can handle another year without the Lakers having complete control of their draft pick unless they're a surefire playoff team.

Gotta protect the pick. Lottery protected. Hope we would have learned our lesson already.

also, if we miss our on FA targets, we could take on picks for contracts to help recoup the lost opportunity.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:

I think we will contend for the playoffs even if we strike out on max guys. If we do, we aren’t just going to let that cap space sit around,, we’ll throw some big one year contracts at guys.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
There’s no way Melvin Frazier gets past Milwaukee at 17 right? That’s such a Milwaukee FO pick.

Outside shot for Mitchell Robinson here, I think.

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Are those Bucks type of players with the new coach?
I would think they need shooting.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

And Lonnie Walker. Gotta go back to that Rashad Vaughn well.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

And Lonnie Walker. Gotta go back to that Rashad Vaughn well.

Walker is long gone at 17.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Are those Bucks type of players with the new coach?
I would think they need shooting.

John Henson
Giannis Antetounmpo
Malcolm Brogdon
Sterling Brown
Thon Maker

Acquired Tony Snell.

Lots of length and wingspan. Jabari is the one closest to average. They grossly drafted Thon Maker early.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 249 of 494
Jump to: