Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 249, 250, 251 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
I personally would move 25th pick, next years first, Chicago 2nd, and Zu or Bryant to get to 16-18 range if he is still there.

I understand the want for Huerter but in a draft this deep there will be a lot of good prospects at 25. Why give up next years draft when you can still find a player equally as good but just with a different skill set?

Equally as good is debatable... However I'm down to move next year's pick to move up for not-Huerter too, if the Lakers like someone else. Weaker draft next year and this squad should be better next season, making that pick worth less in 2019 to the Lakers than it would by trading it in this draft.

If they strike out on free agents, the 2019 pick is going to be a late lotto selection. Even in a weaker draft a 10-14 pick is a lot of value to give up, and on a personal mental health note, I don't know if I can handle another year without the Lakers having complete control of their draft pick unless they're a surefire playoff team.

Gotta protect the pick. Lottery protected. Hope we would have learned our lesson already.

also, if we miss our on FA targets, we could take on picks for contracts to help recoup the lost opportunity.

I'm all for trading a fake 1st, but would a team let the Lakers move up 5-8 spots in this draft for a 2019 pick that is lotto protected and therefore not likely to convey? I could see top-10 protection, though.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
There’s no way Melvin Frazier gets past Milwaukee at 17 right? That’s such a Milwaukee FO pick.

Outside shot for Mitchell Robinson here, I think.

And Lonnie Walker. Gotta go back to that Rashad Vaughn well.

Walker is long gone at 17.

What stupid team is drafting him before 17?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
There’s no way Melvin Frazier gets past Milwaukee at 17 right? That’s such a Milwaukee FO pick.

A team should be so lucky.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

The dude thinks he lives in the Matrix: link.

After the fairly consensus top ten I have Troy Brown, SGA, Zhaire, Jontay, Williams, and Huerter ahead of him and I can easily see equally flawed prospects like Knox and Sexton being better fit picks in Denver and Phoenix. Does Walker even care that much about being good at basketball? If I draft a guy in the lottery who needs a fire lit under him, that guy better look like DeAndre Ayton.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Those are the two guys I keep going back and forth with for Milwaukee. Long athletic specimens are the Milwaukee way. They love defensive potential (just not developing it).
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:
I personally would move 25th pick, next years first, Chicago 2nd, and Zu or Bryant to get to 16-18 range if he is still there.

I understand the want for Huerter but in a draft this deep there will be a lot of good prospects at 25. Why give up next years draft when you can still find a player equally as good but just with a different skill set?

Equally as good is debatable... However I'm down to move next year's pick to move up for not-Huerter too, if the Lakers like someone else. Weaker draft next year and this squad should be better next season, making that pick worth less in 2019 to the Lakers than it would by trading it in this draft.

If they strike out on free agents, the 2019 pick is going to be a late lotto selection. Even in a weaker draft a 10-14 pick is a lot of value to give up, and on a personal mental health note, I don't know if I can handle another year without the Lakers having complete control of their draft pick unless they're a surefire playoff team.

Gotta protect the pick. Lottery protected. Hope we would have learned our lesson already.

also, if we miss our on FA targets, we could take on picks for contracts to help recoup the lost opportunity.

I'm all for trading a fake 1st, but would a team let the Lakers move up 5-8 spots in this draft for a 2019 pick that is lotto protected and therefore not likely to convey? I could see top-10 protection, though.

I’d be fine with a top 10 protection on 2019.

I think it depends on how confident magic and rob are of getting top FA going into the draft.

I honestly don’t think it’s a move they would make, if anything maybe they package a couple seconds to move up to 19 and go from there.

Last edited by HOF Rookie on Sat May 26, 2018 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Those are the two guys I keep going back and forth with for Milwaukee. Long athletic specimens are the Milwaukee way. They love defensive potential (just not developing it).

Agreed. It's like they saw Giannis and thought every tall/long/athletic dude can get away with a lot, even if they can't shoot or have great hoop IQ.

If I were them, I'd be looking at Jontay (finally spacing for Giannis), Melton (another defender outside of Middleton), or Huerter (2-way at least), or Anfernee Simons (big gamble but wingspan/athleticism/3pt range).

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
What if Robert Williams makes it to 25? Is he Thomas Robinson?

I think they're different players. If Robert Williams came out last year, the idea was that he'd turn out to be Antonio McDyess.

But, his mid-range game, got worse. He didn't expand range. His FT% dropped 12% to 47%. Essentially, he's the shorter version of what everyone wants Mitchell Robinson to be. 10% blk, 19%TRb, 10% ast., 10% Oreb; a bunch of indicators for success for a PnR dive guy.

Dude definitely dunks through defenses though. Wouldn't be surprised if MIL drafted him either.

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

After the fairly consensus top ten I have Troy Brown, SGA, Zhaire, Jontay, Williams, and Huerter ahead of him and I can easily see equally flawed prospects like Knox and Sexton being better fit picks in Denver and Phoenix. Does Walker even care that much about being good at basketball? If I draft a guy in the lottery who needs a fire lit under him, that guy better look like DeAndre Ayton.

Holographic theory is actually a legitimate scientific theory that unites quantum physics with relativity, so he may have a point. Any belief on the origin of life that doesn’t break any fundamental laws is potentially valid so what’s any more outlandish about his belief than say, the many creationists who are successful professional athletes?

Beyond that, your opinion is not the truth. You have 16 prospects ahead of him on your personal board. I guarantee that you will be wrong on a bunch of them. And where do you get the idea that he doesn’t care from?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

^Personally, I was impressed that he was even aware of holographic theory.

I think he legit cares as much as any highly competitive athlete. I liked his interview a lot.

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Holographic theory is actually a legitimate scientific theory that unites quantum physics with relativity, so he may have a point. Any belief on the origin of life that doesn’t break any fundamental laws is potentially valid so what’s any more outlandish about his belief than say, the many creationists who are successful professional athletes?

Beyond that, your opinion is not the truth. You have 16 prospects ahead of him on your personal board. I guarantee that you will be wrong on a bunch of them. And where do you get the idea that he doesn’t care from?

Holographic theory is not about holograms, though. That said, last I checked the idea of the world being a simulation is a valid conjecture of physics so your point stands
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Yes, yes, he's more clever than Dorothy Parker and Werner Heisenberg's love child.

I'll be wrong on the majority of them, but I doubt Walker will be one I'll be wrong about. I get the idea that he doesn't care from his subpar impact for his talent level and his lack of motor/overall disinterest when watching him play. But there's nothing wrong with a discount Bradley Beal. You just seem to think he will be Bradley Beal-ish. I hope you're right, the league needs as many young shotmakers it can get as the current crop of stars start to fall off their peaks.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Are those Bucks type of players with the new coach?
I would think they need shooting.

John Henson
Giannis Antetounmpo
Malcolm Brogdon
Sterling Brown
Thon Maker

Acquired Tony Snell.

Lots of length and wingspan. Jabari is the one closest to average. They grossly drafted Thon Maker early.

The guys who made those picks are no longer in Milwaukee. They run the FO in Orlando now.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

John Henson
Giannis Antetounmpo
Malcolm Brogdon
Sterling Brown
Thon Maker

Acquired Tony Snell.

Lots of length and wingspan. Jabari is the one closest to average. They grossly drafted Thon Maker early.

The guys who made those picks are no longer in Milwaukee. They run the FO in Orlando now.

Ah., now it makes sense why Orlando would carry the same philosophy.

Since that's the case, they're going to draft someone I'm going to like...

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

John Henson
Giannis Antetounmpo
Malcolm Brogdon
Sterling Brown
Thon Maker

Acquired Tony Snell.

DJ Wilson
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

John Henson
Giannis Antetounmpo
Malcolm Brogdon
Sterling Brown
Thon Maker

Acquired Tony Snell.

DJ Wilson

Haha, another tourney favorite. Didn't blow up like DV though.

lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:

Top 10 protected seems like a decent amount of protection for us that might still sway a team in that 16-18 range.
Still think the Lakers want to use the 2019 pick with other assets to unload Deng. Dang

I feel Huerter will be the steal of this draft as I thought Bolden was in last years draft. Luckily we got Kuzma who was probably the steal last year although I think Bolden will be great if given the chance.

Come on Lakers FO make Huerter your top priority lololol.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Huerter hit 51.7% of his 2P jumpers. Me likey.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

John Henson
Giannis Antetounmpo
Malcolm Brogdon
Sterling Brown
Thon Maker

Acquired Tony Snell.

DJ Wilson

Haha, another tourney favorite. Didn't blow up like DV though.

When drafting an idea of a player rather than the player goes wrong.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

John Henson
Giannis Antetounmpo
Malcolm Brogdon
Sterling Brown
Thon Maker

Acquired Tony Snell.

I'm glad I was able to give you some helpful info relating to the draft for once, since you are so incredibly generous with your time answering all of our questions about prospects.

They took over shortly before the draft last year. Jonathon Isaac was their first pick in Orlando, and he's cut from that same cloth as the guys you listed, so I'm really interested to see what they do at 6. They desperately need a PG and they need to sell tickets, so most mocks have them taking Trae Young, which makes sense.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see them go in another direction and sign a PG via FA.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Seems like the absolute best outcome for Lakers is Huerter at this point.
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
I been watching Grayson for 4 years as a Duke die hard and I wouldn’t draft him, ever. Dude is flat out dirty, and completely brainless. He can’t create anything against nba athleticism - all he does is drive straight line at the rim going full speed off curls, or catch and shoot. He’s not an nba player. There’s no world in which he is a better prospect than Donte DiVincenzo, period. You can quote me on that.

Those incidents look like signs of mental weakness. Like he couldn't compete effectively, so he was going to resort those tactics; talent aside.

You put me in a spot here. I hate defending Grayson, and I agree somewhat with what you're saying, but I've never heard anyone say anything like that about Draymond. And he's about as dirty as it comes in this era of buddy ball. Not to mention, guys like Larry Bird, Bill Lambier, Charles Oakley and even John Stockton would get in on the dirty plays from time to time. Hell, Detroit made their mark and won two championships on the back of their tough ways.

Those old time guys played a tough physical style that sometimes crossed over to being dirty. Grayson just like taking cheap shots when the other player has his head turned. Then he whines about being caught. Big difference.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Yes, yes, he's more clever than Dorothy Parker and Werner Heisenberg's love child.

I'll be wrong on the majority of them, but I doubt Walker will be one I'll be wrong about. I get the idea that he doesn't care from his subpar impact for his talent level and his lack of motor/overall disinterest when watching him play. But there's nothing wrong with a discount Bradley Beal. You just seem to think he will be Bradley Beal-ish. I hope you're right, the league needs as many young shotmakers it can get as the current crop of stars start to fall off their peaks.

Idk how you can have Troy brown over him. Hell I don’t think there’s a rationale for having Huerter over him either, let alone SGA and Zhaire. But your guess is as good as mine so we will see. I just think it’s ridiculous to call a team stupid for having him before 17 - I guess anyone who has him above 17 is also stupid? Though seems like you have him at 17 yourself so...
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Idk how you can have Troy brown over him. Hell I don’t think there’s a rationale for having Huerter over him either, let alone SGA and Zhaire. But your guess is as good as mine so we will see. I just think it’s ridiculous to call a team stupid for having him before 17 - I guess anyone who has him above 17 is also stupid? Though seems like you have him at 17 yourself so...

I've actually got Zhaire and Huerter both ahead of Walker. Not SGA though, and I'm actually a Fan of Lonnie's. IMO, he DOES have the potential to be a Bradley Beal type, but I also think he has EXTREMELY high bust potential. Guys who still need to work on their body, are extremely rough around the edges and don't stand out in any one category have a tough uphill battle. Fortunately for him.he had very good measurements on top of good athleticism. Where he's drafted is going to play a huge outcome in his overall development as a player, same for Zhaire.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Lakers just worked out Kevin Huerter today.

I wonder how they feel about him. I think he will be drafted in the high teens.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 249, 250, 251 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 250 of 494
Jump to: