Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Forget trying to get Giannis, Lakers need to go all in to get.....

I might be late on the train but Giannis's younger brother Alex is incredible! Potential is very very high!

Would love for the Lakers to pull all stops to get him!!!!

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject:

I watched a lot of college basketball this weekend....had a list of guys...did not get to all of them...only parts of others....some split between screens....

- Jevon Carter - as WVU continues to be a personal embarrassment, Carter had another monster game. His line was 33 Points / 4 Rebounds / 4 Assists / 1 steal. He shot 11 of 18 from the field and was 10 of 10 from free throw line.

- Khyri Thomas - I really liked this kid...he is a 6'3" CG with a 6'10" wingspan, and he can cause issues on defense. His line was 14 Points / 5 Rebounds / 4 Assists / 2 steals. He is a Junior, and if he declares, I expect him to be long gone by our 2nd round pick. ***I watched the game to see Khyri....but it became the Marcus Foster showcase, who plays in the back court with Thomas. Foster appears to be an undersized SG or a combo guard at 6'3" and pedestrian length...but the kid can stroke the ball. His line was 29 Points / 8 Rebounds / 3 Assists. He was 5 of 10 from 3, and is shooting over 45% from 3 on the season on high volume. Foster is a Senior and could be in consideration in the middle of the 2nd Round.

- Josh Okogie - I like Okogie...he is a big time scorer in college, but I am not sure how he projects in the NBA. He is a Sophomore 6'4" SG/Wing @ Georgia Tech. Against Duke tonight, his line was 29 Points / 6 Rebounds / 4 Assists / 2 steals! He shot 4 of 10 from 3...and is shooting 41% from 3 on the season, but is low volume in most games....just not sure how good he will be from 3 in the NBA. Appears to have good length and can defend, but did not appear to have the quickest feet. If he declares, I assume he would go late 1st round or early 2nd round. Reminded me a little of Avery Bradley to a degree.

- Tyus Battle - A 6'6" Sophomore Wing @ Syracuse who I have watched play a couple times. Against Wake Forest tonight, his line was 34 Points / 4 Rebounds / 4 Assists / 1 steal! He was 3 of 4 from 3 and 11 of 13 from the free throw line. This season, similar to last, he is inconsistent with his 3 pointer. He looks like he has a decent handle for a wing, and the size to defend & switch, but his overall athleticism has always appeared to be more average than elite. He has some craft around the rim, a solid floater but he loves the mid-range. If he declares, seems like a mid 2nd Rounder to me.

- Thomas Wilder - A 6'3" Senior PG @ Western Michigan. I had heard of Wilder last season, but I think this was the first time I saw him play. His line was 19 Points / 6 Rebounds / 6 Assists / 2 steals / 2 Blocks. Came away very impressed...guy has a real solid shot, very good handle, is quick, and although he is a scoring PG...he showed the ability to create for teammates. His shooting is off a little from last season, but he shot over 44% from 3 last season. If you get a chance, check out Wilder....my guess is he will be around in the mid 2nd round.

- Brandon McCoy - I recall McCoy as a high school prospect, but I had not heard much about him in college until someone mentioned earlier in thread. He is a 7' Freshman Center @ UNLV. The guy looks big on the court...already has a solid/toned build. He is raw....and may be a lottery consideration a couple decades ago.....but he is still athletic and agile enough to play in the modern NBA. Has good hands, and does not shy away from contract. He also has good touch around the rim, was a monster on the boards, and appeared ok at protecting the rim. His line was 19 Points / 15 Rebounds / 1 Assists / 1 steal / 3 Blocks!! I am usually not big on drafting Centers in the late 1st....but I really liked this guys potential. I expect he may likely move up out of our reach if he continue to play well. I also wanted to watch Hayden Dalton in this game, a 6'8" Senior Forward @ Wyoming. He had a big 2nd half to have a line of 21 Points / 9 Rebounds / 0 Assists / 1 steal / 1 Block.....but he is super thin, and a project.

I really like several of these guys. Jevon Carter will remain #1 on my board for our 1st Round pick (no matter how he plays ), but I assume most of you have seen him play. Be sure to check out Khyri Thomas and Brandon McCoy for that 1st Round pick when you get a chance. Also take a look at Thomas Wilder if you have not seen him play.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

What is the NBA comparison (past or present) for McCoy?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Forget trying to get Giannis, Lakers need to go all in to get.....

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
I might be late on the train but Giannis's younger brother Alex is incredible! Potential is very very high!

Would love for the Lakers to pull all stops to get him!!!!

isn't that his @ 19 playing against average high school kids. I am just assuming because he is 20 now as a Freshman @ Dayton....and the guys in the video looked about 6'. Look close....it looks like me visiting a local grade school on recess and dominating them. I am not as sold as many on here....he plays for Dayton who stinks, yet since conference play has started, he barely gets off the bench....if he even gets into the game at all. Maybe there is more to the story than I am aware.....but if your last name is Antetokounmpo and your 6'10"....how do you end up @ Dayton?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
What is the NBA comparison (past or present) for McCoy?

I definitely saw a bigger version of Dwight Howard in his game (I watched a lot of Dwight the first couple years). Maybe a bigger Bam Adebayo...but that is kind of the same thing as young Dwight. He is so raw....I hate to really project what he could be off one game. He definitely can face up to basket and shoot....but I did not get the sense he could extend out very far. Has really good touch for a big man....was 11-13 from free throw line. He attacks the glass like Dwight use to....like its personal, and although he had 3 blocks, I did not get the sense he is going to be a prolific shot blocker. I will have to watch more, but he definitely looks like a 1st Rounder to me....maybe even discussion for a top 15ish guy.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

i like shamorie ponds a LOT

there's no way this guy should be a 2nd round pick or not even drafted as he's being mocked right now. lottery talent imo
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

there's no way this guy should be a 2nd round pick or not even drafted as he's being mocked right now.

he is a baller...but he can't shoot? A 6'1" PG in the NBA that cannot shoot does not seem like a guy I would think you would be high on.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

there's no way this guy should be a 2nd round pick or not even drafted as he's being mocked right now.

he is a baller...but he can't shoot? A 6'1" PG in the NBA that cannot shoot does not seem like a guy I would think you would be high on.

his stroke looks good and he shoots fts at a high clip. i think it may be a shot selection issue but i'd have to watch his earlier season games to see why. over the last 4 games he's 13/27 from 3.

i like shooters but i also like draft value, and ponds is >>> value over his draft stock right now. and i think he's a better shooter than the %s are revealing. just watch his game - he's an easy NBA player.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

his stroke looks good and he shoots fts at a high clip. i think it may be a shot selection issue but i'd have to watch his earlier season games to see why. over the last 4 games he's 13/27 from 3.

maybe your right....I watched him earlier in the year against 'Nova, Creighton and Xavier....and the guy was chucking all game and it appeared to be clear he was a poor shooter.....but I wasn't really paying attention to his form or anything. I know he was supposed to be a break out guy this year....and I just looked, he shot 38% from 3 as a freshman....maybe I saw him at his worse.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

btw 44....have you watched Brandon McCoy? If so, what was your thoughts?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

haven't watched much of him - checking out some highlights now

initial thoughts:
very good positional awareness but relatively slow hands
good seals, quick moves on catch
rudimentary technique/footwork

project with potential. floor as a rotation big. safe value pick in the 25-40 range?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

initial thoughts:

project with potential. floor as a rotation big. safe value pick in the 25-40 range?

only watched (on and off) of his most recent game.....came away more impressed than I expected. Definitely a more traditional Center from what I saw...but not a slow plodder. What do you mean when you say "relatively slow hands"?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

initial thoughts:

only watched (on and off) of his most recent game.....came away more impressed than I expected. Definitely a more traditional Center from what I saw...but not a slow plodder. What do you mean when you say "relatively slow hands"?

from what i saw he bobbles a lot of passes/rebounds that should be clean catches.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I don't hit up this thread too often so sorry if this has been addressed, but who's the next Jarrett Allen. He was drafted 22nd last season. After the Dallas game, it was painfully obvious that we need an athletic shot blocker, paint protector. That bench players dunk contest the Mavs were having on us was flat out embarrassing.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I don't hit up this thread too often so sorry if this has been addressed, but who's the next Jarrett Allen. He was drafted 22nd last season. After the Dallas game, it was painfully obvious that we need an athletic shot blocker, paint protector. That bench players dunk contest the Mavs were having on us was flat out embarrassing.

i think the only young athletic big who might fall to us with the cavs pick is mitchell robinson, who was highly touted in HS but sat out this year with some strange circumstances after enrolling at WKU.

other than that the guy we're talking about, brandon mccoy, is a possibility there too, though he's not very explosive. more positional.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

I became a Jarrett Allen fan when I saw him do this last year...

that is against Sags Konate....one of the fiercest shot blockers in college basketball
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

i think the only young athletic big who might fall to us with the cavs pick is mitchell robinson, who was highly touted in HS but sat out this year with some strange circumstances after enrolling at WKU.

other than that the guy we're talking about, brandon mccoy, is a possibility there too, though he's not very explosive. more positional.

as if it was not strange enough he enrolled @ WKU in the first place

I have heard or saw a couple blurbs about him looking good preparing for the draft....if that is true, then it is unlikely he falls.....but I know you already know that.

Seriously though...guy could have went almost anywhere and chose Western Kentucky.....didn't it have to do with a family member or something?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

as if it was not strange enough he enrolled @ WKU in the first place

I have heard or saw a couple blurbs about him looking good preparing for the draft....if that is true, then it is unlikely he falls.....but I know you already know that.

Seriously though...guy could have went almost anywhere and chose Western Kentucky.....didn't it have to do with a family member or something?

ya robinson is pretty much guaranteed to go before our pick if he looks even moderately good in workouts just based on his physical and athletic profile.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

SI latest mock draft also has us taking Brandon McCoy with the Cavs pick.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/12/nba-mock-draft-2018-trae-young-deandre-ayton-colin-sexton

Quote:
25. Los Angeles Lakers LAKERS* | BRANDON MCCOY, C, UNLV | FR.
(Note: Los Angeles owns Cleveland’s top-three protected first-round pick.)

Height: 7'0" | Weight: 250 | Age: 19 | Last: 23

The Lakers have cleared the deck to pursue top free agents this summer, and acquiring this pick from the Cavs at the deadline was somewhat of a coup. They can angle for a future contributor in this spot, and will be in need of frontcourt help given the likelihood of Brook Lopez’s departure. McCoy isn’t NBA-ready, but has the physical ability to become a competent rotational center and has produced impressively for UNLV. The Lakers can put shooting around him and try to turn him into a useful screener and interior defender.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/12/nba-mock-draft-2018-trae-young-deandre-ayton-colin-sexton

Quote:

The Lakers have cleared the deck to pursue top free agents this summer, and acquiring this pick from the Cavs at the deadline was somewhat of a coup. They can angle for a future contributor in this spot, and will be in need of frontcourt help given the likelihood of Brook Lopez’s departure. McCoy isn’t NBA-ready, but has the physical ability to become a competent rotational center and has produced impressively for UNLV. The Lakers can put shooting around him and try to turn him into a useful screener and interior defender.

not sure I would leave Jontay Porter on the board in that scenario....really like Kyhri Thomas who is still on the board....a lot to sort out in coming months
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Quote:

not sure I would leave Jontay Porter on the board in that scenario....really like Kyhri Thomas who is still on the board....a lot to sort out in coming months

bottom line is...

lakers can nab a pretty good player with the cavs pick
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

also....SI Mock...how does PHX pass on Trae Young....would think they would kill to have a Young/Booker back court to build around?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
bottom line is...

they can nab a pretty good player with the Denver 2nd Round pick.....several will be there....just have to identify the right guy, and put him in position to succeed. Yes, the odds are higher with the Cleveland pick....but we have did so well in recent years, I think most will expect them to hit on both picks.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jjangx27 wrote:
bottom line is...

they can nab a pretty good player with the Denver 2nd Round pick.....several will be there....just have to identify the right guy, and put him in position to succeed. Yes, the odds are higher with the Cleveland pick....but we have did so well in recent years, I think most will expect them to hit on both picks.

if we can land the next kuz and hart with those picks...

damn...
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

We need an athletic 6'9"-6'10" forward/center to replace Nance. A dude that can run, play great defense, and swat shots at the rim. Haven't watched enough college basketball to see who might fill that role, but I'm there's a player like that available at the 25th.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 28 of 494
Jump to: