Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

I like Shake Milton cause his name's cool
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

Tray Young is 4 of 27 from 3 in last three games....that's less than 15%.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I watched the #16 U of Rhode Island @ St. Bonaventure game last night....I had been waiting on the game for a couple weeks to watch St. Bonaventure PG Jaylen Adams....and the Bonnies are not on national television that often.

First, the game...it was honestly one of the better games I have watched in the last couple years. Both teams play hard on both sides of the ball, can shoot, score in transition and defend. Both squads have Senior back courts, and upper classman rosters. The entire game the spread seemed like it was 1 or 3 points....with over 20 lead changes....but St. Bonaventure scored the upset with a 77-74 win. If your a college basketball fan....make a note when your picking your brackets and these two teams pop up....they are both mid major teams that will have the ability to knock off power conference programs. Jaylen Adams had one of the worst shooting nights of his college career, but I noticed two other players that impressed me....Adams back court partner Matt Mobley and Rhode Island guard Jared Terrell.

Jaylen Adams - 6'2" Senior PG (St. Bonaventure) Season Avg.'s 20 Points / 4 Rebounds / 6 Assists
-- as I previously said...he had a terrible shooting game and finished with 12 Points / 2 Rebounds / 8 Assists (2 of 12 FG, 0 of 4 3FG, and 6 of 6 FT). It was obviously an outlier game since coming into the game he was shooting over 50% from 3 on over 6 attempts a game! This guy gives off some smaller DLo vibes to his game. He is an average athlete with average burst/first step....but he needs very little room/time to get off his jumper, looks very comfortable in pick n roll, and is very crafty around the rim. Not a great defender, but plays smart and does not make many dumb mistakes. He has very good court vision from the top of the key, and off the dribble. If he is on the board in the 2nd Round, I think he would be a solid option for the Denver pick.

Matt Mobley - 6'3" Senior CG/SG (St. Bonaventure) Season Avg.'s 19 Points / 5 Rebounds / 3 Assists
-- guy had a huge game, and was the primary reason behind the win....finished with 26 Points / 9 Rebounds / 1 Assists (8 of 17 FG, 5 of 11 3FG, and 5 of 7 FT). Some of his 3's were from the 28-30 feet range, and the nets did not appear to move! He is a little better athlete than his teammate Adams, and is effective in scoring off the dribble and getting to the basket. He appeared decent on defense....or adequate. If Adams gave off vibes of Dlo....Mobley was more Jordan Clarkson. His role on an NBA roster clearly would be that scoring guard off the bench. I am not sure he is an NBA player, but he is worth monitoring....and definitely worth an undrafted FA SL signing.

Jared Terrell - 6'3" Senior SG (Rhode Island) Season Avg.'s 18 Points / 3 Rebounds / 2 Assists
-- he was the best player on the court for Rhode Island...finished with 23 Points / 2 Rebounds / 1 Assists (7 of 18 FG, 5 of 10 3FG, and 4 of 5 FT). Very strong solid frame...good athlete that can shoot (43% from 3 on season) and get to the rim. Takes some tough 2 point shots. He definitely appeared to be more SG than CG....but maybe he simply did not show the skills needed to be a CG in this game. Similar to Mobley, in the NBA his role will very likely be an athletic scoring guard off the bench....and he has the frame and athleticism to be a strong perimeter defender. I can see him being drafted later in the 2nd Round....but I would consider him a SL option if undrafted.

All three guys are worth checking out, but I definitely think Jaylen Adams has NBA level talent and skills, while Matt Mobley and Jared Terrell bring specific skills to the game that will likely give both a chance/look by NBA teams.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

What’s you’re guys opinion on the Martin twins at Nevada?

Caleb can score, Cody is a pretty good defender and playmaker. Both have good size for the 3 and can handle the rock.

On a related note, Caroline probably isn’t an nba player, but he’d look good in shoulder pads...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
What’s you’re guys opinion on the Martin twins at Nevada?

Caleb can score, Cody is a pretty good defender and playmaker. Both have good size for the 3 and can handle the rock.

On a related note, Caroline probably isn’t an nba player, but he’d look good in shoulder pads...

have not watched them this season but was listening to an older (couple weeks) The Stepien podcast this morning and they were brought up...the one thing I recall them saying was Caleb is overrated on offense and underrated defense while Cody is overrated on defense and underrated offense.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject:

What do we really need at this point?

Center - we have 2 pretty solid prospects. At 20+, I am not expecting any clear cut star potential type player (I know I know, Jimmy, Gobert, Deandre)

PF - we already have Randle and Kuzma

SF - Ingram

SG - Hart

PG - Lonzo

It seems to me that we can use either a combo guard ala Jordan Clarkson or a Terrance Ferguson type swingman
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I would take a Terrance Ferguson type swingman
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Holiday really looks pure shooting it from the outside.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject:

If you think NBA officiating is bad, watch 10 minutes of a college basketball game. My God.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
What do we really need at this point?

Center - we have 2 pretty solid prospects. At 20+, I am not expecting any clear cut star potential type player (I know I know, Jimmy, Gobert, Deandre)

PF - we already have Randle and Kuzma

SF - Ingram

SG - Hart

PG - Lonzo

It seems to me that we can use either a combo guard ala Jordan Clarkson or a Terrance Ferguson type swingman

Well, no FAs have been signed, so, the Lakers still need a franchise player to build around, unless they assume that's Lonzo and Ingram.

Interior defense from a big, preferably with 3-ball.

Perimeter shooting. Switchable perimeter defense. Passing ability. All 3 are requisite for wing/guard slots.

Wouldn't mind a defensive 5 that's a PnR man with twitch, hands, and wingspan, even if he's an average switcher at best.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Just watched the entire UCLA-Oregon game. I like Holiday. Tough, competitive kid, and has a nice shooting stroke.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Just watched the entire UCLA-Oregon game. I like Holiday. Tough, competitive kid, and has a nice shooting stroke.

After the kids declare, really, it wouldn't be so bad to pick him up late 1st.

65% at the rim.
47%FTr.

It's possible there may be better prospects at the pick, but he should definitely be on the list.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

65% at the rim.
47%FTr.

It's possible there may be better prospects at the pick, but he should definitely be on the list.

Is this alluding to this draft not being so deep in the late 1st?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

If we got Troy Brown Jr, I would go insane.

Which is why it won’t happen. He’s a 12-16th pick that will probably be a steal for any team that drafts him there.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

65% at the rim.
47%FTr.

It's never 100% declaration from mocks at this point in the season. Around that 1st pick, there's maybe 2-5 guys that don't declare. Hell, two lottery guys didn't declare last year (Miles Bridges, Robert Williams, both unexpected). It's a big reason why I'm basically perusing prospects for now, and save any intense research until late in the season into tourney time. There's a more complete body of work. There's a better idea who will be available by draft time.

I'm almost out on Jevon Carter tbh. 6'3" wingspan? On a dude that plays physical perimeter defense? Sure, maybe for the 2nd rounder, but definitely not the 1st. He can't get away with that physicality next level.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

65% at the rim.
47%FTr.

It's never 100% declaration from mocks at this point in the season. Around that 1st pick, there's maybe 2-5 guys that don't declare. Hell, two lottery guys didn't declare last year (Miles Bridges, Robert Williams, both unexpected). It's a big reason why I'm basically perusing prospects for now, and save any intense research until late in the season into tourney time. There's a more complete body of work. There's a better idea who will be available by draft time.

I'm almost out on Jevon Carter tbh. 6'3" wingspan? On a dude that plays physical perimeter defense? Sure, maybe for the 2nd rounder, but definitely not the 1st. He can't get away with that physicality next level.

Ahh, got it.. thanks.
And good point about Carter. I really like his game though.. didn't know he had a 6'3 wingspan..
I saw one highlight of a guy Cole mentioned yesterday, Kenrich Williams.. he's low key solid, SF
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

^Yeah. It's tough for me to track every single prospect the guys from the Stepien keep mentioning. Things start to formulate well into March/April.

Seems there's a pretty hard split on Hutchison and Bates Diop. I've never seen a strong divide this early in the draft process for the late 1st.

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

I like Jaren Jackson Jr as a prospect.

Marvin Bagley III defensive assignment.

Draft Express
Quote:

• Tremendous physical profile for a PF/C prospect at 6' 10 with a 7' 4 wingspan and 9' 1 standing reach. On the light side (225 lbs) at this stage, but has a big frame that will fill out really nicely. Wide shoulders, good base.
  • Very fluid running the floor. Light on his feet. Can finish above the rim in space. May still have some untapped athletic potential. Lob target.
  • Versatile defensively thanks to his agility, length and timing around the rim. Has the tools to be play a healthy amount of center, and the mobility to defend most fours. Good feet guarding the perimeter. Can switch ball screens and compete. Quick off his feet around the rim as a rim protector. Flashes of competitiveness. Very vocal.
  • Really competed on the offensive glass. Keeps plays alive thanks to his length and quick leaping. Playing much harder and more aggressively than he had in the past.
  • Budding skill set offensively. Comfortable finishing with either hand. Almost prefers his left in the post. Quick face up, rip through spins from mid-post spots. Great footwork.
  • Untraditional mechanics but can stretch the floor a little bit. Very confident out to three. Quick release. Career 40.5% from three on 84 attempts.
  • Has the agility to attack a closeout in space.
  • Length helps him finish from different angles around the rim.
  • Son of an NBA player. Very well-spoken and aware of his strengths and weaknesses.
  • Youngest player on the USA team at 17.5. About a year young for his class.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:21 am; edited 3 times in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
I like Jaren Jackson Jr as a prospect.

Marvin Bagley III defensive assignment.

Draft Express
Quote:

• Tremendous physical profile for a PF/C prospect at 6' 10 with a 7' 4 wingspan and 9' 1 standing reach. On the light side (225 lbs) at this stage, but has a big frame that will fill out really nicely. Wide shoulders, good base.
  • Very fluid running the floor. Light on his feet. Can finish above the rim in space. May still have some untapped athletic potential. Lob target.
  • Versatile defensively thanks to his agility, length and timing around the rim. Has the tools to be play a healthy amount of center, and the mobility to defend most fours. Good feet guarding the perimeter. Can switch ball screens and compete. Quick off his feet around the rim as a rim protector. Flashes of competitiveness. Very vocal.
  • Really competed on the offensive glass. Keeps plays alive thanks to his length and quick leaping. Playing much harder and more aggressively than he had in the past.
  • Budding skill set offensively. Comfortable finishing with either hand. Almost prefers his left in the post. Quick face up, rip through spins from mid-post spots. Great footwork.
  • Untraditional mechanics but can stretch the floor a little bit. Very confident out to three. Quick release. Career 40.5% from three on 84 attempts.
  • Has the agility to attack a closeout in space. -Length helps him finish from different angles around the rim.
  • Son of an NBA player. Very well-spoken and aware of his strengths and weaknesses.
  • Youngest player on the USA team at 17.5. About a year young for his class.

He's my favorite big in the draft.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

Yea Jackson could be special. Haven't seen much of him of course, but I've seen enough(including a little hint of a handle).
What's the comp for him? Potentially Stoudamire with a 3 and defense? Or am I completely overrating what he'll be rolling to the rim?
How about a star version of Nance Jr (with a 3ball)
This is such a special class.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Yea Jackson could be special. Haven't seen much of him of course, but I've seen enough(including a little hint of a handle).
What's the comp for him? Potentially Stoudamire with a 3 and defense? Or am I completely overrating what he'll be rolling to the rim?
How about a star version of Nance Jr (with a 3ball)
This is such a special class.

I think of him as a defense 1st player. Everything you want out of a 5, he's capable of doing, and he's not slow reading the floor. I can't stand how well he reads the floor as an 18 year old kid, and Kuzma can't make that same read defensively.

My favorite part is, he plays like a wing. His 3-ball is his best halfcourt threat, but guys have to respect his shot, and he can attack closeouts in 2-3 strides and hit the open man.

Simple, basic stuff. But SO efficient. SO effective. Has EVERY bit of motor as Bagley.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

He and Bagley aren't even in the same ballpark as prospects going forward right? I mean.. even in the most simplistic evaluation ------ one has length that 30% of SFs at the next level have..the other has Center length(and bigger hands). And Jackson's 3ball is legit while Bagley's isn't.....
Add the other important stuff you mentioned..Jackson's smarter, super high defensive ceiling.. Jackson is an elite prospect and I think Bagley is risky.. I think non shooting,skinny bigmen are risky
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
He and Bagley aren't even in the same ballpark as prospects going forward right? I mean.. even in the most simplistic evaluation ------ one has length that 30% of SFs at the next level have..the other has Center length(and bigger hands). And Jackson's 3ball is legit while Bagley's isn't.....
Add the other important stuff you mentioned..Jackson's smarter, super high defensive ceiling.. Jackson is an elite prospect and I think Bagley is risky.. I think non shooting,skinny bigmen are risky

I've listened to a lot of podcasts/informed opinions about this. This is like an internal debate. If this were the 90s, Bagley would be the #1 guy and it wouldn't be close. He's THAT productive already, entirely done on motor and athleticism, developing 3-ball. Just playing totally instinctual out there (except defensively).

But Jackson is 8.5/10 of Bagley's overall athleticism. Bagley is PG-level twitchy/2nd jump/quickness/lateral. Jackson actually knows what to do with it. Both are what, the same age and 18? Ridiculous draft.

I'm definitely on the JJJ side of things only because I know I can trust halfcourt skill and there's less fit issues next level compared to Bagley. But Bagley has the upside.

Like, a bad Bagley game is offensive boards and finishes. A bad JJJ game is a darn near elite level defender (projected) with ability to finish anyway.

Both guys have foul issues.

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

The funny thing is you say jjj is a modern prospect and bagley isn’t but nearly every advanced stats projection hates jjj and loves bagley
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
The funny thing is you say jjj is a modern prospect and bagley isn’t but nearly every advanced stats projection hates jjj and loves bagley

The halfcourt stuff is the only separator. I'm not even looking at advanced.

Also, what advanced stats? I'm guessing it's going to favor Bagley because of the scoring rate/rebounding rate. That doesn't mean that JJJ isn't a better swatter, even if he isn't a better scorer/board man.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 34 of 494
Jump to: