Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 350, 351, 352 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
If both are available, Donte or Huerter?

Huerter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Donte.

Thanks. Based on highlights I was thinking that but I didn’t want to look like an idiot without confirmation

I've got 5 players of separation between the two guys in my sig.

👍 I didn’t notice your updated sig until now.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
But in a normal yr, you would only have 1 high school class

I get what your saying about 2022 being the new normal, but any way you look at it, 2021 would likely have a spike in depth because you would have essentially 2 high school classes.

Yup. I was thinking like you at first until I thought about it. All the one and dones that would have come out in 2023 will now just come out in 2022.

Yeah, 2021 lottery is going to be crazy. You might get 10 players with elite talent instead of 5

Or may not. It's assumed the talent class is relatively the same in HS in every draft, but it isn't.

Too much development happens between soph year in HS to senior year in HS.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Just to elaborate Huerter v Melton.

Melton, NBA level defender, yes. Assists come through very very basic reads in PnR and transition play. He does have some vision. But the handle and shot, for right now, are very average, and he doesn't project any higher than a #4 option for a team, at best.

Huerter? Runs PnR, but with all of the shot credibility, passes through narrower windows, and makes the most of his 2-3 dribbles in PnR attacking the paint. Underrated floater game and shot credibility even open up 71% at the rim. Best NBA skill is shooting in spot up and on the move, but solid motor defensively.

Think there's a clear separation between both prospects skill-wise.

Agree with all of this. Seems the perfect fit for the Lakers and would consider moving up a few slots to draft and in general I am against moving up.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Melton, NBA level defender, yes. Assists come through very very basic reads in PnR and transition play. He does have some vision. But the handle and shot, for right now, are very average, and he doesn't project any higher than a #4 option for a team, at best.

Huerter? Runs PnR, but with all of the shot credibility, passes through narrower windows, and makes the most of his 2-3 dribbles in PnR attacking the paint. Underrated floater game and shot credibility even open up 71% at the rim. Best NBA skill is shooting in spot up and on the move, but solid motor defensively.

Agree with all of this. Seems the perfect fit for the Lakers and would consider moving up a few slots to draft and in general I am against moving up.

not much to offer....a future pick? I would not give up a future 1st to move up 3 or 4 spots. Josh Hart may get you there, but no way am I including him. Do not see much of anything else we have that would get a team to move down.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:
Suns need to make trades.

Too many young players and too many picks.

I expect them to be active in the trade/free agent market. Their GM is under the gun this year.

he was on the On the Clock show this evening on ESPN...mostly boilerplate stuff, but he brought up something that I had not considered....2021 Draft Picks could be a little more valuable than normal if that is the year high school players can enter the draft. Depending on how much elite high school talent enters the draft that year, it could create almost a double lottery. Imagine if it ended last year.....Fultz, Ball, Tatum, Jackson, etc. would all be in the draft....but it would likely also include Bagley, Ayton, Michael Porter, Bamba, etc..

Just something to keep in mind when considering which future picks to move or accumulate.

I was watching that too.

thought it was insightful....made some sense....could be the difference in us getting a Kevin Huerter instead of a Grayson Allen in the mid 20's if you assume that 5-7 high school guys could push down the draft for one year. One the flip side, 2022 could be very low on high end talent.

Yeah, I thought about that then I thought, wouldn't it be the same as a normal year? It'll just be the next class of high schoolers instead of the one and dones.

it would increase the supply in 2021 by having all the one and dones that had to wait a year (as normal) plus many of the kids that would have been one and dones in the 2022 draft. Since they will all be in the 2021 draft.....2022 will be somewhat depleted. Supply of elite talent should normalize in 2023.

But in a normal yr, you would only have 1 high school class

For instance, in 2018 draft, you have the 2017 high school class that played one yr of college ball

So, in 2021, you have the 2020 high school class, plus the 2021 high school class

But in 2022, you only have the 2022 high school class

So wouldn't 2022 be a normal year? Think of it like daylight savings time. You lose an hour and then you gain the hour back later to make it even.

So the depletion wouldn't be in 2022, it happened when the one and done rule was implemented.

So in 2005 - there was the 2005 High School class

But in 2006 - the one and done rule was implemented - so there was no elite talent in this draft. The 2006 high school class had to go to college, and there was no elite one and done players because they all came out in 2005. So this was where the shortage was.

And so, like daylight savings time, you have to give back - once they change the rules (in 2021) - there will be a surplus to make up for the shortage in 2006.

So in 2021 - high school class of 2020 AND high school class of 2021 comes out.

Now, everything is back to normal and in 2022 - you get the high school class of 2022.

So in a normal draft, you should get elite talent from 1 high school class. In 2006, you had no elite talent and in 2021, you will have double elite talent.

In this scenario the 2020 class should be fairly deep as the HS prospects from 2019 and college Sophmore's and Jr's will lean toward coming out to avoid the heavy talented 2021.

I guess this also depends on how deep the 2019 HS class is.

True, but do Sophomore's and Juniors really matter in a draft? Juniors don't really matter anymore. I think Sophomore's and Juniors come out when they're ready anyways.

I can't really think back to a Sophomore that stayed in school when he should have come out. Only player I can think of is Grayson Allen. He kept on staying in school and it didn't help him any. I don't think it matters if he came out Freshman, Sophomore, Junior or Senior. He doesn't move the needle.

That seems correct. For this year maybe S Ponds, J Porter, B Fernando, S Konate, P Washington may have come out in this scenario. I am sure I missed a prospect or 2.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

not much to offer....a future pick? I would not give up a future 1st to move up 3 or 4 spots. Josh Hart may get you there, but no way am I including him. Do not see much of anything else we have that would get a team to move down.

Maybe Chicago's 2nd next year or the right to switch 1st's in a future draft but yes I would not want to give up Hart or a future 1st.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Maybe Chicago's 2nd next year or the right to switch 1st's in a future draft but yes I would not want to give up Hart or a future 1st.

I could do a switch...even maybe give them a two year window to utilize it one time if it is to go get a guy that the FO feels strongly about....and I would feel similar about 2nds.
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I thin huerter will be good but I think melton will be great. I think melton is most likely out of players picked in the 20s to end up in the top 5 in a redraft a few years later. I think this kid has star all over him I am telling you had this same feeling with Mitchell last year this kid has the most potential to go Mitchell on everyone
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Listening to a podcast mock draft zwicker has huerter going 14 he really likes him
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Chicago 2019 second could be #40 in a weaker draft. It might be enough to move up one or two slots in the 2018 first round, but likely not more than that.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

Man, if the Lakers traded #25 to tie in a trade for Deng, but bought #30 or #34 2nd rounder from the Hawks, that would be ++++

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

So the 25th pick is the canary in the mine, no?

If we trade it along with Deng, then we know what's going down.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So the 25th pick is the canary in the mine, no?

If we trade it along with Deng, then we know what's going down.

It just opens up the options. I think it's a half tier difference between 16-26 and roughly 27 to 38 or so anyway.

HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

If Huerter and Troy Brown are off the board, I’m looking to trade down or trade it with deng in a package .
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

Phoenix...Ayton
Sacramento...Porter Jr.
Atlanta...Doncic
Memphis...Mikal Bridges
Dallas...Bamba
Orlando...Young
Chicago...Jackson Jr.
Cleveland...Bagley
New York...Sexton
Philadelphia...Carter Jr.
Charlotte...Alexander
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

2 more days!
Everyone saying Ayton at one is a lock.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Man, if the Lakers traded #25 to tie in a trade for Deng, but bought #30 or #34 2nd rounder from the Hawks, that would be ++++

Yeah, this is one of my outside hopes. Even a #30 or #34 can get us a potential rotation player in Brunson, Carter, Frazier, or maybe Shamet (whom I really don't think will be at #47, no matter what some mocks think).

I just REALLY want to get out of this draft with 2 rotation-worthy players/ assets. I'm getting sick and tried of trading guys for cap space with no guarantee of return. This is our best scouting staff in years, and I don't want to squander their efforts, intel, and abilities.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Yeah, this is one of my outside hopes. Even a #30 or #34 can get us a potential rotation player in Brunson, Carter, Frazier, or maybe Shamet (whom I really don't think will be at #47, no matter what some mocks think).

I just REALLY want to get out of this draft with 2 rotation-worthy players/ assets. I'm getting sick and tried of trading guys for cap space with no guarantee of return. This is our best scouting staff in years, and I don't want to squander their efforts, intel, and abilities.

Yep. Hate building around caproom.

MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

SI just put up their latest Mock about 3 hours ago: SI LINK

They have us getting KBD at 25 and Vanderbilt at 47 (emphasis mine):

Quote:
25. Los Angeles Lakers: Keita Bates-Diop, F, Ohio State

Height: 6’8” | Weight: 225 | Age: 22 | Last: 31
Stats: 19.8 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 35.9% 3FG

Given the Lakers could be in for a busy summer, adding a player with some shooting and a level of versatility makes sense if they hang onto this pick. Los Angeles is thought by other teams to have promised this spot to Kevin Huerter, but they’ll likely have to move up if they want to acquire him. Bates-Diop’s shooting ability and length are traits teams can latch onto, and although he’s not a great athlete nor is he a perfect fit as a small-ball four, he might be a player who’s easy to plug into lineups given his ability to make jumpers and rebound. Bates-Diop could end up falling to the early second round, and his game is an acquired taste to a lot of scouts, but the fit makes sense here.

Quote:
47. Los Angeles Lakers: Jarred Vanderbilt, F/C, Kentucky | Freshman

Height: 6'9" | Weight: 215 | Age: 19 | Last: 39

Stats: 5.9 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 42.6% FG

There are rumors that Vanderbilt may have a promise somewhere in the second round, which would certainly have contributed to his decision to leave Kentucky, but it’s unclear which team. He will come with serious injury concerns, but has strong rebounding skills and could be a useful energy big. Vanderbilt struggles to shoot the three, which despite some ball skills probably keeps him from being much of a perimeter player.

Not thrilled with this duo as the picks don't address our back-court depth. SI has Huerter at 18 to SA and DDV to the Hawks at 19 (though SI doesn't think ATL will keep all their picks), but I still like Brunson (27), Frazier (30), Carter (38), Milton (41), Spellman (44), Shamet (46), Jackson (50), and Hall (55) more.

Last edited by MIMLaker on Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

^That's a B-level draft for me. I get the appeal for KBD, but needs to take a lower end 3-and-D role at the 4 slot IMHO. It's like, if you want Kuzma spacing but better defensive ability.

Vanderbilt I want for sure.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

As far as I can tell, KBD hasn't worked out with the Lakers. If he hasn't, I can't see the Lakers selecting him.
GoldenThroat

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
As far as I can tell, KBD hasn't worked out with the Lakers. If he hasn't, I can't see the Lakers selecting him.

He was in the first workout, IIRC.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

I think the Lakers draft for need — a combo guard with solid height and length who can shoot and defend multiple positions or a “modern NBA big” who can play some center but also guard across positions and shoot some.

Guys like Melton, but more like Divincenzo, fit the bill for the combo guard need.

Guys like Bates-Diop and Omari Spellman fit the bill for the “modern NBA big” need.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

Here's my debut piece for The Athletic, where I dive into the film on the three guys that I think the Lakers covet the most at this spot.

https://theathletic.com/391485/2018/06/19/laker-film-room-three-to-hope-for-at-no-25-in-the-nba-draft/
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^That's a B-level draft for me. I get the appeal for KBD, but needs to take a lower end 3-and-D role at the 4 slot IMHO. It's like, if you want Kuzma spacing but better defensive ability.

Vanderbilt I want for sure.

Talent-wise, it's a B, but we really need guard depth unless we go to Caruso (a No. 3 guy IMO) and Ennis (a No. 3 at best). Having those guys as our only backup PGs outside of Ingram is like driving to Vegas on 2 compact spares and then looking to swing up to Reno afterwards.

If we could get Brunson or Shamet or even Carter with Vanderbilt in that scenario, or trade down to get one of those guys along with Vanderbilt, then I'd be happier with that, as we'd still get quality talent to fill our needs. Unless the team is putting Randle way way low on the priority list, I don't see the need to get KBD's frontcourt-only versatility, not while our perimeter is so thin.

That being said, I'm still not sold on Vanderbilt. I'd rather go Justin Jackson out of Maryland as he's got great length (6'7 with 7'2" WS) and had more of a touch his freshman year, before shoulder surgery in his soph year this year. I honestly wonder what sort of offensive coaching Maryland has, because they can't quite get them to gel.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 350, 351, 352 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 351 of 494
Jump to: