Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 351, 352, 353 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
^That's a B-level draft for me. I get the appeal for KBD, but needs to take a lower end 3-and-D role at the 4 slot IMHO. It's like, if you want Kuzma spacing but better defensive ability.

Vanderbilt I want for sure.

Talent-wise, it's a B, but we really need guard depth unless we go to Caruso (a No. 3 guy IMO) and Ennis (a No. 3 at best). Having those guys as our only backup PGs outside of Ingram is like driving to Vegas on 2 compact spares and then looking to swing up to Reno afterwards.

If we could get Brunson or Shamet or even Carter with Vanderbilt in that scenario, or trade down to get one of those guys along with Vanderbilt, then I'd be happier with that, as we'd still get quality talent to fill our needs. Unless the team is putting Randle way way low on the priority list, I don't see the need to get KBD's frontcourt-only versatility, not while our perimeter is so thin.

That being said, I'm still not sold on Vanderbilt. I'd rather go Justin Jackson out of Maryland as he's got great length (6'7 with 7'2" WS) and had more of a touch his freshman year, before shoulder surgery in his soph year this year. I honestly wonder what sort of offensive coaching Maryland has, because they can't quite get them to gel.

I didn't look at the remaining picks because I already have my draft list laid out. Drafting KBD is basically, not my idea of best outcomes from what I've watched.

Vanderbilt, I think he has a higher upside than KBD, and that's part of the reason why I don't have him on my list. Vanderbilt slipped because of health and shot, but when it's rebounding, passing, size, athleticism, ball-handling, it's across the board.

Justin Jackson is a tough one for me, especially if KBD is drafted. I think he's a slow athlete, where at least Troy Brown has passing utility to keep guys off of him.

I'm still not concerned about filling needs. Need to be the most sure of getting a successful NBA player. Hypothetically, I'd rather have a KBD that makes the league, than say, a Jalen Brunson who doesn't. (obviously, I like Brunson more than KBD)

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Bates-Diop in depth: https://94feetreport.com/keita-bates-diop-the-next-prototype-8768092b870a

Just wanted to bump this up for anyone interested in some good info on Diop.

Of particular note, are the opinions of him becoming a small Ball Center and his defense in college on bigger future NBA bigs like Jaren Jackson Jr.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
As far as I can tell, KBD hasn't worked out with the Lakers. If he hasn't, I can't see the Lakers selecting him.

He was in the first workout, IIRC.

Thanks, I knew I should've used SSR's workout list.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Here's my debut piece for The Athletic, where I dive into the film on the three guys that I think the Lakers covet the most at this spot.

https://theathletic.com/391485/2018/06/19/laker-film-room-three-to-hope-for-at-no-25-in-the-nba-draft/

Well, you got an "awesome."

How would you assess Huerter's "fight" as a switch defender?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Here's my debut piece for The Athletic, where I dive into the film on the three guys that I think the Lakers covet the most at this spot.

https://theathletic.com/391485/2018/06/19/laker-film-room-three-to-hope-for-at-no-25-in-the-nba-draft/

I subbed to the athletic today. Congrats & outstanding work as always! Prayer circle for Huerter on Thursday
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I'm still not concerned about filling needs. Need to be the most sure of getting a successful NBA player. Hypothetically, I'd rather have a KBD that makes the league, than say, a Jalen Brunson who doesn't. (obviously, I like Brunson more than KBD)

I agree with you there, to a point. BPA available for the 2nd round, sure because they need to be a pick that can survive in the league.

But if we get 2 bigs out of this draft and utterly no guards to show for it I'll be disappointed.

If BPA at No. 25 is between a guard and a big and theyrethisclose on my list, yet have equal chances of longevity in terms of skills, work ethic, etc., I'm leaning guard this year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I agree with you there, to a point. BPA available for the 2nd round, sure because they need to be a pick that can survive in the league.

But if we get 2 bigs out of this draft and utterly no guards to show for it I'll be disappointed.

If BPA at No. 25 is between a guard and a big and theyrethisclose on my list, yet have equal chances of longevity in terms of skills, work ethic, etc., I'm leaning guard this year.

Disagree. Got into a heated argument about this last summer on twitter with respected Laker guys. Like, I don't want to skip on Kuzma just because I had Randle and LNJ last year.

I'm not sure if there's a big vs guard that is that close on my list at that pick, but have to wait until the draft to see out it unravels.

MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Disagree. Got into a heated argument about this last summer on twitter with respected Laker guys. Like, I don't want to skip on Kuzma just because I had Randle and LNJ last year.

I'm not sure if there's a big vs guard that is that close on my list at that pick, but have to wait until the draft to see out it unravels.

That is a very good point, and I'll concede that. That being said, I just value other players higher than KBD, in part because I've seen so many slow-footed tweeners end up nowhere -- but in this new 3 and V (versatility) era, who knows?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That is a very good point, and I'll concede that. That being said, I just value other players higher than KBD, in part because I've seen so many slow-footed tweeners end up nowhere -- but in this new 3 and V (versatility) era, who knows?

Agreed. When the Lakers traded down and there was a possibility of Jordan Bell or Josh Hart, then I would just basically ask, "Who can shoot?" and that's the guy I'd take. You know they're proven NCAA guys that can play in the league with good intangibles already.

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

Does anyone know if Anfernee Simons' last name is pronounced SIGH-mons or SIM-mons?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Does anyone know if Anfernee Simons' last name is pronounced SIGH-mons or SIM-mons?

I've been calling him sigh-mons, like it's a first name with an S at the end.

Yep. Sigh-mons.

But seems the Blazers gave him a 2nd workout.
He's theirs!
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/23509884/2018-nba-mock-draft-teams-deandre-ayton-luka-doncic-trae-young-lottery

Not a fan of this mock draft, I don't want Grayson Allen anywhere near our team
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/23509884/2018-nba-mock-draft-teams-deandre-ayton-luka-doncic-trae-young-lottery

The Allen thing is kinda curious because he's is going to hurt someone
or get hurt; IMO. While placing aside his antics, I've asked myself if I
prefer to have him here hurting someone else or far away, lol.

On a side note, I think this Draft will come down to who is actually available when our numbers come up. I've read plenty of great rational for one guy or the other but who will actually be there that the FO likes? I think that's what will make this thing interesting on Thursday.

At this point, it's trying not to over analyze this thing. We'll know in a
couple of days.
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
10scott10 wrote:

On a side note, I think this Draft will come down to who is actually available when our numbers come up. I've read plenty of great rational for one guy or the other but who will actually be there that the FO likes? I think that's what will make this thing interesting on Thursday.

couple of days.

I don't love allen as the pick but I do think he will be a good pro and a good add to the team
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

So Simons worked out twice for Portland who is at 24 and Holiday has worked out twice for either Utah or Atlanta (not sure) but he would be picked before us as well. Sort of opens the door a slight smidge on Huerter dropping to us at 25????

One can only pray
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
So Simons worked out twice for Portland who is at 24 and Holiday has worked out twice for either Utah or Atlanta (not sure) but he would be picked before us as well. Sort of opens the door a slight smidge on Huerter dropping to us at 25????

One can only pray

From your lips to God's ears...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

vicman wrote:
deal wrote:
10scott10 wrote:

couple of days.

I don't love allen as the pick but I do think he will be a good pro and a good add to the team

I agree....ironically, I think he will be a solid pick....but would kind of be bummed if we drafted him.
LB2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Bold Draft night trade:

Doncic (3rd pick)

for

BI + 25th + 2019 first + Deng
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

LB2 wrote:
Bold Draft night trade:

Doncic (3rd pick)

for

Someone else would have to come besides the 3rd pick - but Hell....at this point, anything is possible.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

LB2 wrote:
Bold Draft night trade:

Doncic (3rd pick)

for

since they are trying to move Dennis, they need Doncic or a PG more than BI....they have several young SF's/wings they supposedly like.
Kookie Monster
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

LB2 wrote:
Bold Draft night trade:

Doncic (3rd pick)

for

The Spurs have their eye on Doncic. I wouldn't be surprised if we are trying to move up for Doncic so we can ship him over to San Antonio in a package for Kawhi Leonard. Maybe that would be the one scenario they would trade Kawhi to us.
LB2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Kookie Monster wrote:
LB2 wrote:
Bold Draft night trade:

Doncic (3rd pick)

for

The Spurs have their eye on Doncic. I wouldn't be surprised if we are trying to move up for Doncic so we can ship him over to San Antonio in a package for Kawhi Leonard. Maybe that would be the one scenario they would trade Kawhi to us.

I didnt even consider that angle. I'd probably rather keep Doncic since it would allow us to sign Lebron, PG13 and keep Randle. But I wouldnt be mad about getting Kawhi.
Flatlyner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Someone who has started really catching my eye is Melvin Frazier. I might have missed others speaking about him, but, what do you all think of him and if he has any shot of being picked by us? I see him as a really nice addition to our team as potentially the best wing defender in the draft to go along with some very nice athleticism. Thoughts?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

back in high school, always heard local media say with the "i" being a long vowel
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
vicman wrote:
deal wrote:
10scott10 wrote:

couple of days.

I agree....ironically, I think he will be a solid pick....but would kind of be bummed if we drafted him.

Cracks me up to think of Allen. But who knows, he could end up
being a good pro...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 351, 352, 353 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 352 of 494
Jump to: