Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

bolded 20-30 - DX projects us to draft Mitchell Robinson. I'll pass on Khyri Thomas, Bates-Diop, Metu. Haven't watched any Melvin Frazier. OK with Simons, Holiday, Brown, Robinson, Melton, Milton, or Shamet.

Question.

Why passing on Bates Diop or Metu? Just curious.

bates diop is not an NBA player. zero athleticism. dude is slow, like he's moving stuck in molasses. scores exclusively on spot shooting and low post isos bullying/outsizing college kids. not athletic enough to be a positive defender and will have zero impact on offense. not even considered a NBA prospect until his senior year - that alone is an indicator that he's not an NBA talent.

metu - 0 development between soph and junior, both in stats and physique. supposed to be a +athlete but doesn't pop. super mechanical movements, no fluidity at all. just not a fan.

Last edited by 44TheLogo on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

bolded 20-30 - DX projects us to draft Mitchell Robinson. I'll pass on Khyri Thomas, Bates-Diop, Metu. Haven't watched any Melvin Frazier. OK with Simons, Holiday, Brown, Robinson, Melton, Milton, or Shamet.

Question.

bates diop is not an NBA player. zero athleticism. scores exclusively on spot shooting and low post isos. not athletic enough to be a positive defender and will have zero impact on offense.

metu - 0 development between soph and junior, both in stats and physique. supposed to be a +athlete but doesn't pop. super mechanical movements, no fluidity at all. just not a fan.

I think of KBD as a 4 in the line of Marcus Morris/Otto Porter optimistic. Shrug.

Metu, yeah for me it's defensive motor. But mid 2nd? I might take that shot.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Question.

bates diop is not an NBA player. zero athleticism. scores exclusively on spot shooting and low post isos. not athletic enough to be a positive defender and will have zero impact on offense.

I think of KBD as a 4 in the line of Marcus Morris/Otto Porter optimistic. Shrug.

Metu, yeah for me it's defensive motor. But mid 2nd? I might take that shot.

KBD...i don't think there's ever been a player who became good as a senior after being nondescript before who has turned into a positive NBA player. if you haven't made the jump by your junior year I don't think there's much hope.

i'll take okobo or trier over metu in the 2nd all day any day.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

KBD...i don't think there's ever been a player who became good as a senior after being nondescript before who has turned into a positive NBA player. if you haven't made the jump by your junior year I don't think there's much hope.

Brogdon?

I definitely understand the line of thinking though. Unfortunately, the brain can't really be scouted too well, and the most difficult aspect of scouting is taking a short time for a learned skill and then implementing it at an NBA level with efficiency.

Some guys just click late like Ben Wallace.

But sure, KBD isn't my favorite player. I just can't ignore his current effectiveness either.

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Brogdon?

I definitely understand the line of thinking though. Unfortunately, the brain can't really be scouted too well, and the most difficult aspect of scouting is taking a short time for a learned skill and then implementing it at an NBA level with efficiency.

But sure, KBD isn't my favorite player. I just can't ignore his current effectiveness either.

brogdon was effectively the same player he was as a sophomore - he just didn't have draft hype. his production didn't change too much. i think he was a victim of playing for virginia.

10.1 BPM as a soph, 8.9 junior, 11.1 senior

and division ii or lower players like ben wallace don't really fit into any sort of evaluation framework.

i think at the very least if you have NBA athleticism or NBA skills you show out before your senior year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Brogdon?

brogdon was effectively the same player he was as a sophomore - he just didn't have draft hype. his production didn't change too much. i think he was a victim of playing for virginia.

and division ii or lower players like ben wallace don't really fit into any sort of evaluation framework.

I don't recall Brogdon being a descript player as a jr. Usually ACC play gets attention.

I find it funny. What you're measuring in terms of age/experience for progression, I just look at 2pt FG% for mental strides.

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Brogdon?

I don't recall Brogdon being a descript player as a jr. Usually ACC play gets attention.

I find it funny. What you're measuring in terms of age/experience for progression, I just look at 2pt FG% for mental strides.

you don't get drafted if you play for virginia - that is an anti draft hype school. they are all considered system players because tony bennett plays system ball. pack line defense, mover blocker offense, low pace. can't really show out on that team.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Brogdon?

you don't get drafted if you play for virginia - that is an anti draft hype school. they are all considered system players because tony bennett plays system ball. pack line defense, mover blocker offense, low pace. can't really show out on that team.

I get that. But, they also win games. They never really get NBA level prospects. Those dudes are self made. I can respect that.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
don't make the same mistake you made with semi ojeleye last year with bates diop this year both terrible pro prospects imo

in my opinion, bates diop screams 2-Way G League contract for a couple years, then a career overseas.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
The guys I've been eye-balling the most so far:

In relative order:

Troy Brown
Chandler Hutchison
Aaron Holiday
Keita Bates Diop
De’Anthony Melton
Landry Shamet
Shake Milton
Mitchell Robinson

Jalen Brunson
Shamorie Ponds
Jevon Carter
Alonzo Trier
Travon Bluett
Bonzie Colson – Jared Dudley (Boston College)
Tremont Waters
Kyle Allman Jr.

don't make the same mistake you made with semi ojeleye last year with bates diop this year both terrible pro prospects imo

Ha. Ojeleye has been disappointing, but hell, so has Lonzo's shooting. It doesn't always click right away.

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I get that. But, they also win games. They never really get NBA level prospects. Those dudes are self made. I can respect that.

I was explaining why brogdon had no draft hype, not disrespecting Virginia. As a duke fan I know to respect that program.

@adkindo yeah he’s probably worth a summer league contract or maybe a late 2nd but taking him in the first and guaranteeing a contract and roster spot for him would be a disaster
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Founder - Draft Shamorie Ponds 2018 Campaign

Founder? Gribonov and Zwicker have talked about him a month or two ago.

There's a whiff of NVE there. The handle isn't as tight. He's 90% as quick. Certainly stronger. Every bit the moxie. Good burst, hesitation, change of pace, change of direction combination.

Frankly, he's a 1st round talent. I just don't think he'll be at the pick where LAL is.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Ha. Ojeleye has been disappointing, but hell, so has Lonzo's shooting. It doesn't always click right away.

I did not even realize Ojeleye was doing so poorly until I just looked at his stats....I would not give up on him yet.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Founder - Draft Shamorie Ponds 2018 Campaign

Founder? Gribonov and Zwicker have talked about him a month or two ago.

There's a whiff of NVE there. The handle isn't as tight. He's 90% as quick. Certainly stronger. Every bit the moxie. Good burst, hesitation, change of pace, change of direction combination.

Frankly, he's a 1st round talent. I just don't think he'll be at the pick where LAL is.

Not zwicker - cole didn’t have him in his top 60 til recently and I’m campaigning for the lakers to draft him not for him to get drafted lol
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I did not even realize Ojeleye was doing so poorly until I just looked at his stats....I would not give up on him yet.

I think his standing reach is affecting his game. It's literally a wing-level standing reach.

That's a problem for the 4/3 spot.

But it's the same thought process I had for choosing Tatum #3.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

WVU was up @ Baylor by 28 points in the 2nd half (50-22 with 17 minutes left).....lead down to 12 with 7:32 left in game....how many times do I have to suffer through this?!?!
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers could use this kid from Michigan St. Jackson Jr.

He’s big and talented...but he’ll be a lottery pick so nvm.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject:

^^^^the Lakers and 29 other NBA teams.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^^the Lakers and 29 other NBA teams.

Lol true indeed.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Jevon Carter is one assist away from being the only player in college basketball history from a major conference to record at least 1,500 Points, 500 Rebounds. 500 Assists and 300 Steals.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Jevon Carter is one assist away from being the only player in college basketball history from a major conference to record at least 1,500 Points, 500 Rebounds. 500 Assists and 300 Steals.

Are you still high on Young? He’s been pretty bad lately.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

44thelogy and Mike's draft convos are good man. Also Akindo brings so much info here. Thanks all. God knows I want a steal so badly
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Are you still high on Young? He’s been pretty bad lately.

I think I have been less convinced that Young will have a high level of success in the NBA than most. Not trying to hedge, but I can see an outcome where he is a very productive exciting player that sells tickets....but I can also see him simply failing in the NBA. In regards to where I would draft him, his recent struggles do not impact my opinion much. As the board stands right now, I would give strong consideration to him @ #4 with the Orlando Magic....they desperately need the best outcome of Trae Young.....but I would feel more comfortable taking him in the #6 to #10 range.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
The guys I've been eye-balling the most so far:

In relative order:

Troy Brown
Chandler Hutchison
Aaron Holiday
Keita Bates Diop
De’Anthony Melton
Landry Shamet
Shake Milton
Mitchell Robinson

Jalen Brunson
Shamorie Ponds
Jevon Carter
Alonzo Trier
Travon Bluett
Bonzie Colson – Jared Dudley (Boston College)
Tremont Waters
Kyle Allman Jr.

I liked Ojeleye last year too. I'm with you on Bates-Diop, though.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject:

Interesting that Holiday has moved into the 1st round on the DX Mock. Seems like he won't be there with the Denver pick. If we get Holiday or Trier out of this draft somehow, I'll be happy. I feel good about both of them.

Adkindo, I would be fine with Jevon Carter with the Denver pick. But I'd be hesitant to take him in the 1st round, as I just think there will be better prospects available, even among seasoned college players.

Is Jalen Brunson expected to declare, or is he one of those where we don't know? I mean, he could win POY, so he might never have a better time to go. I could definitely be talked into him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 37 of 494
Jump to: