Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

Landry Shamet (Wichita State) & Shake Milton (SMU) showdown @ 2:00 PM ETD on ESPN.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:
It’s early on me watching tape but so far I like Jacob Evans out of Cincinnati. He seems to do everything well. Junior year player fits the mold of a guy the lakers have been targeting in the draft the last couple of years

Good find, from one highlight vid he looks nice. Good size with some offensive skills on top of shooting. Interested to know his defensive motor.. Kinda looks like a "too cool" guy so idk if that defensive motor is high

Yeah for a wing he has high assist numbers. He has solid handles and can get his shot up in rhythm fairly quickly.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Landry Shamet (Wichita State) & Shake Milton (SMU) showdown @ 2:00 PM ETD on ESPN.

Edit: Milton is still out with the injured hand....for some reason, I thought he had already returned.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
It’s early on me watching tape but so far I like Jacob Evans out of Cincinnati. He seems to do everything well. Junior year player fits the mold of a guy the lakers have been targeting in the draft the last couple of years

That's the first guy I mentioned on the Lakers Outsiders podcast for the 2nd round.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:

That's the first guy I mentioned on the Lakers Outsiders podcast for the 2nd round.

Why no first round?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:

Why no first round?

I mentioned that it's tough to project which guys are going to declare and who isn't. But the guys we constantly look at, Shamet, Milton, Hutchison, and other similar types, are usually considered the better prospects in the 1st round.

Just felt that Evans doesn't get as much recognition and I think that hurts draft status. I'm also concerned that he isn't more of a prominent scorer, even when extrapolating out to 36+mpg. I know Cincy is all defense, but his scoring rate hasn't increased since last year either.

He may just as easily get into the 1st round. This is one of the big reasons why I don't really like spotting/mocking draft guys this early in the season. There's not a full body of work to evaluate, and two critical months are at the very end of the season.

I haven't seen him THAT much, but every time I do, I never see halfcourt athleticism. At least someone like Milton plays spot duty PG and is an elite shooter.

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

Any opinion of Virginia's De’Andre Hunter?

Insider
Quote:

De'Andre Hunter | 6-foot-8 | Fr. (RS)

At 12-1 in the ACC and 23-2 overall, Virginia should be ranked No. 1 when the polls are released on Monday, and Hunter is a huge reason for that.

Despite redshirting last year and now coming off the bench, Hunter has overcome a slow start and established himself as an essential cog on both ends of the floor.

While slightly undersized at 6-8, Hunter's 7-2 wingspan, chiseled frame and outstanding lateral quickness more than make up for that, allowing him to defend guards, wings and big men alike. We've seen him effectively slow down ACC stars such as 6-11 Marvin Bagley III, 6-4 Josh Okogie and 6-7 Tyus Battle, demonstrating the type of multipositional defensive versatility that the NBA so actively covets these days.

Hunter enjoys an unusual amount of offensive freedom for a freshman on the slowest-paced team in all of college basketball, ranking second on the team in usage, He's one of the better shot-creators on the team thanks to his ability to dribble, pass and shoot, and his poise, confidence and versatility on this end of the floor have been impressive.

Hunter's jumper is far from a finished product, but he has a nice stroke and the ability to stretch the floor confidently, something that will be tracked closely going into next season as one of the biggest keys to his evolution as a prospect. The fact that he is such a good passer helps mask the fact that he's not a freakish athlete. But it will be important for the 20-year-old to continue to make progress with his skill level and polish as incumbent starting forwards Devon Hall and Isaiah Wilkins graduate and he's asked to step into their shoes as a sophomore.

You can't have enough versatility, basketball IQ and length at the combo forward position in today's NBA, and Hunter stands out in both those categories as a strong candidate to play positionless basketball. Being a key cog on the No. 1 defensive team in college basketball while learning how to play a role under highly respected coach Tony Bennett helps his cause a great deal, as well.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Any opinion of Virginia's De’Andre Hunter?

Insider
Quote:

De'Andre Hunter | 6-foot-8 | Fr. (RS)

At 12-1 in the ACC and 23-2 overall, Virginia should be ranked No. 1 when the polls are released on Monday, and Hunter is a huge reason for that.

Despite redshirting last year and now coming off the bench, Hunter has overcome a slow start and established himself as an essential cog on both ends of the floor.

While slightly undersized at 6-8, Hunter's 7-2 wingspan, chiseled frame and outstanding lateral quickness more than make up for that, allowing him to defend guards, wings and big men alike. We've seen him effectively slow down ACC stars such as 6-11 Marvin Bagley III, 6-4 Josh Okogie and 6-7 Tyus Battle, demonstrating the type of multipositional defensive versatility that the NBA so actively covets these days.

Hunter enjoys an unusual amount of offensive freedom for a freshman on the slowest-paced team in all of college basketball, ranking second on the team in usage, He's one of the better shot-creators on the team thanks to his ability to dribble, pass and shoot, and his poise, confidence and versatility on this end of the floor have been impressive.

Hunter's jumper is far from a finished product, but he has a nice stroke and the ability to stretch the floor confidently, something that will be tracked closely going into next season as one of the biggest keys to his evolution as a prospect. The fact that he is such a good passer helps mask the fact that he's not a freakish athlete. But it will be important for the 20-year-old to continue to make progress with his skill level and polish as incumbent starting forwards Devon Hall and Isaiah Wilkins graduate and he's asked to step into their shoes as a sophomore.

You can't have enough versatility, basketball IQ and length at the combo forward position in today's NBA, and Hunter stands out in both those categories as a strong candidate to play positionless basketball. Being a key cog on the No. 1 defensive team in college basketball while learning how to play a role under highly respected coach Tony Bennett helps his cause a great deal, as well.

He's next on my list. Have been watching the other prospects for now. But otherwise, all of the tools for another late 1st type. But I hope he's more of a 3 than a 4.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

Has anyone got a chance to watch Nick King @ Middle Tennessee State this season? He was a top 50 kid coming out of high school that bounced around....started @ Memphis, then transferred to Alabama, and now is a Senior @ Middle Tennessee State. He is a 6'7" wing putting up big numbers on a very solid team....22/8/2....shooting 39% from 3. I have only seen a few clips of him....and he can shoot, but did not really notice much else...but they were short clips.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

I get that in some ways I am "old school" in my perception of draft picks....in that on court production matters to me....as much as the measurements, age, etc. That being said, I just watched the Michigan State game....and it is obvious how much talent Jaren Jackson Jr. and even Miles Bridges bring to the court....but how do they only score 10 & 11 points in a game against a very young below average Wisconsin team? They combined for 1 of 13 from 3! I guess it's why I still hold such high opinion of guys like Bagley and Ayton....and less of guys like Bamba and Jackson.

Right now, my lottery (without teams)....

1. Deandre Ayton
2. Marvin Bagley
3. Luka Dončić
4. Michael Porter Jr.
5. Jaren Jackson Jr.
6. Mikal Bridges
7. Wendell Carter Jr
8. Trae Young
9. Mohamed Bamba
10. Miles Bridges
11. Kevin Knox
12. Collin Sexton
13. Troy Brown
14. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I get that in some ways I am "old school" in my perception of draft picks....in that on court production matters to me....as much as the measurements, age, etc. That being said, I just watched the Michigan State game....and it is obvious how much talent Jaren Jackson Jr. and even Miles Bridges bring to the court....but how do they only score 10 & 11 points in a game against a very young below average Wisconsin team? They combined for 1 of 13 from 3! I guess it's why I still hold such high opinion of guys like Bagley and Ayton....and less of guys like Bamba and Jackson.

Right now, my lottery (without teams)....

1. Deandre Ayton
2. Marvin Bagley
3. Luka Dončić
4. Michael Porter Jr.
5. Jaren Jackson Jr.
6. Mikal Bridges
7. Wendell Carter Jr
8. Trae Young
9. Mohamed Bamba
10. Miles Bridges
11. Kevin Knox
12. Collin Sexton
13. Troy Brown
14. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

just a gut feeling but I think Wendell Carter will be a better pro than Bagley
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Has anyone got a chance to watch Nick King @ Middle Tennessee State this season? He was a top 50 kid coming out of high school that bounced around....started @ Memphis, then transferred to Alabama, and now is a Senior @ Middle Tennessee State. He is a 6'7" wing putting up big numbers on a very solid team....22/8/2....shooting 39% from 3. I have only seen a few clips of him....and he can shoot, but did not really notice much else...but they were short clips.

Doesn't have the handles or fluidity to play the wing spot. He is really an undersized stretch 4.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

#23 Houston is beating East Carolina 62-13 @ Halftime

Houston is shooting 74% from the field (23 of 31) and 75% from 3 (12 of 16)!
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
late 1st/2nd round picks w/ starter potential = ponds, trier, carr, melton, okobo

i don't think this is a particularly deep draft to be honest so it does feel a bit slim pickings after the lottery. it's pretty top heavy and it bottoms out pretty quickly. i think there's maybe 15-20 guys who will stick.

I can buy Ponds, Melton, Okobo. Haven't seen Trier at all this season. I don't trust Carr. Ponds has change of pace/shake. Melton is just NBA player built with above average athl. Okobo, is more along the lines of elite size at PG with the 6'3"/6'8" wingspan and slashing, but I haven't watched too much.

Melton is going to be a super role player in the mold of Draymond Green. Plays the game the right way, does everything really well, nothing great, clutch shot maker, but not a shooter, underrated athlete.

Love his potential - he impacts winning, but he isn't a great fit next to Lonzo.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Doesn't have the handles or fluidity to play the wing spot. He is really an undersized stretch 4.

clip I saw, his handles did look bad...literally dribbled off his feet...but it was a short clip....not a lot out on youtube of him that I noticed.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

btw 44TheLogo.....I gave up my time yesterday to give Shamorie Ponds another look....you have some explaining to do.....I am never getting that time back, and I still do not see a player that I would be interested in drafting in either round.

What am I missing? Throws up a lot of bad shots.....makes very few of them....makes bad decisions off the dribble and in pick 'n roll, jumps passing lanes, but does not expend much effort on defense. I have watched two games this year, and saw the same thing in both.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
late 1st/2nd round picks w/ starter potential = ponds, trier, carr, melton, okobo

i don't think this is a particularly deep draft to be honest so it does feel a bit slim pickings after the lottery. it's pretty top heavy and it bottoms out pretty quickly. i think there's maybe 15-20 guys who will stick.

I can buy Ponds, Melton, Okobo. Haven't seen Trier at all this season. I don't trust Carr. Ponds has change of pace/shake. Melton is just NBA player built with above average athl. Okobo, is more along the lines of elite size at PG with the 6'3"/6'8" wingspan and slashing, but I haven't watched too much.

Melton is going to be a super role player in the mold of Draymond Green. Plays the game the right way, does everything really well, nothing great, clutch shot maker, but not a shooter, underrated athlete.

Love his potential - he impacts winning, but he isn't a great fit next to Lonzo.

I'm not concerned about fit next to Lonzo. I had mentioned that his handle and shot are rudimentary, but I don't think it matters THAT much. He has a clue about passing, knows when to take shots, and outright defends multiple positions.

Considering he's not playing for USC anymore, he has about 3 months to work on that shot and handle. I'd prefer to see what the results look like by draft time.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Has there been any discussion on Isaac Bonga? Seems to have great passing skill for his size and could be a good stash candidate.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Cavs LOSE!!!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Lose, Cavs, lose.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
btw 44TheLogo.....I gave up my time yesterday to give Shamorie Ponds another look....you have some explaining to do.....I am never getting that time back, and I still do not see a player that I would be interested in drafting in either round.

What am I missing? Throws up a lot of bad shots.....makes very few of them....makes bad decisions off the dribble and in pick 'n roll, jumps passing lanes, but does not expend much effort on defense. I have watched two games this year, and saw the same thing in both.

1. seton hall defense was swarming him, and seton hall put ish sanogo on him, one of the better defenders in the country. even still, he scored 25 points on .498 TS%

2. ponds by age should be a freshman. he is the same age as michael porter jr, 1 month older than deandre ayton and shai gilgeous-alexander. he's only 4 months older than trae young, 7 months older than collin sexton.

3. you're literally watching him on his worst games. idk what to tell you when you pick the game where he goes 0-6 from 3 instead of at any point over the 6 games before that when he shot 21-42 from 3 (.500). even including seton hall that puts him at 21-48 over his last 7 games, or .438 from 3.

4. of all college basketball, there are 4 freshmen or sophomore guards playing at major programs with >30% usage shooting >.500 TS%. In order of BPM, it goes Trae Young (12.4 BPM), Shamorie Ponds (7.3 BPM), Collin Sexton (6.0 BPM), and Markus Howard (4.4 BPM).

whether or not you think his shot selection is bad or he makes bad decisions, the stats show that he is an elite prospect. having watched multiple full games of his, i think his decision making is very good in pick and roll, and his shot selection tends to be forced as the only scoring threat on his team.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Lose, Cavs, lose.

That’s really all I care about watching these Cavs games. Today was a good day.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

whether or not you think his shot selection is bad or he makes bad decisions, the stats show that he is an elite prospect. having watched multiple full games of his, i think his decision making is very good in pick and roll, and his shot selection tends to be forced as the only scoring threat on his team.

He's a super streaky guy every time I watch him. But I cannot deny how he creates open shots for himself, changing directions, changing pace. Even if he's a volume scorer at this rate, that shot is going to come around.

Hell, this is the month he's been warming up, because there's no way a guy that shoots that well, should be that poor of an overall shooter.

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

He's a super streaky guy every time I watch him. But I cannot deny how he creates open shots for himself, changing directions, changing pace. Even if he's a volume scorer at this rate, that shot is going to come around.

Hell, this is the month he's been warming up, because there's no way a guy that shoots that well, should be that poor of an overall shooter.

yeah. overall, i think he should be valued around the same as collin sexton in the draft boards.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

yeah. overall, i think he should be valued around the same as collin sexton in the draft boards.

You certainly have him ranked considerably higher than I do. I haven't bought into his quickness and need to see better results with efficiency before thinking about that high of a ranking. But the dude is a 20/5/5 guy right now playing 37mpg.

Then again this is why I always wait until the end of season. Need to see the body of work or continuous improvement, not just a hot month.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 42 of 494
Jump to: