Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
In vague order:

Troy Brown
Chandler Hutchison
De'Anthony Melton
Landry Shamet
Shamorie Ponds (really curious how workouts go)
Shake Milton

Can Melton shoot?

Ball-handling/shooting are fairly rudimentary. But I like that he can pass, switch, and really play defense. I'm okay if he learns to shoot later.

He also was a big shot maker at USC. Made a lot of key late game plays.

He also is fairly young for a Sophomore.

I don't think he makes it past 25.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
After watching the Marshall game I'd rather have Frankamp than Shamet, if only to see him and Caruso play at the same time.

Why not Elmore over Frankamp? At least Elmore has some creation abilities and his range extends to near half court.

Elmore got range. You know what my dream. Scenario is right now don't you adkindo? I can't wait for that so we can see us battle it out. If Marshall was to win, we'd no longer have to listen to all the WVU "there is no rivalry" BS haha
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
After watching the Marshall game I'd rather have Frankamp than Shamet, if only to see him and Caruso play at the same time.

Why not Elmore over Frankamp? At least Elmore has some creation abilities and his range extends to near half court.

Elmore got range. You know what my dream. Scenario is right now don't you adkindo? I can't wait for that so we can see us battle it out. If Marshall was to win, we'd no longer have to listen to all the WVU "there is no rivalry" BS haha

I am a WVU fan, but I have always supported Marshall also....it seems like everyone in my family that went to college graduated from Marshall University. I actually remember the last Marshall team that made it to the tournament....Skip Henderson was the star of that team.

I have never understood the whole not wanting the teams to play in all sports. Actually I take that back...I do get the WVU angle, but do not respect it. WVU has no interest in helping Marshall raise their profile, because then they just become more competitive for recruits, fans, revenue, etc.....and I get that if WVU beats Marshall, they gain very little....but if they lose to Marshall, it is seen as a major upset. Again, I get it, but do not agree with or respect it. The same issue was taking place here in Central Florida for years when USF was in the Big East (BCS) and UCF was in CUSA....USF refused to play games, but now that they are in the same conference, they are forced to play each other.....and it is the biggest game on the schedule for each...always sells out, and is a great rivalry that benefits both programs.

The WVU-Marshall thing frustrates me because they are in a unique situation....as they are the only two Division 1 large universities in the state....and every time they play, its great for the state economy and the rivalry interest extends beyond state borders. I recall the year that Pennington and Moss went to Morgantown and nearly upset WVU.

I thought it was great today in the 2nd half when it became clear Marshall had a chance, the WVU fans joined with MU fans in supporting Marshall loudly in the arena....then I saw later MU fans in the stands cheering for WVU. Like you, I grew up hearing stories from adults talking about the plane crash, and visiting the memorial on campus....and my eyes still water when I watch We Are Marshall. I picked Marshall for the upset today, but will be cheering for WVU on Sunday....then I will support which ever one moves on to the Sweet 16. If Burks has a better game, and Penava can stay out of foul trouble....WVU will have their hands full.

***Side note, I actually met Jack Lengyel, the guy Matthew McConaughey played in the film around the time the movie was released. He was on the Board of Directors of the company that I worked for at the time.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

Mikal Bridges... damn...

Too bad we won't be able to add to our Villanova connection.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

Mikal PERFECT piece for this team...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Mikal PERFECT piece for this team...

If he declared last year, the Lakers had a slim shot at him late 1st round.

Can't fake 70% 2-point FG, 39% 3pt.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Mikal Bridges... damn...

Jalen Brunson
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I noticed the Tankathon mock has us taking Kenrich Williams (TCU) in the 2nd Round.....Cole Zwicker has been real high on him this year....
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Mikal Bridges... damn...

Jalen Brunson

Yeah he was excellent as well, but it's like when you meet a family with two hot sisters, it's hard to keep your mind off of the hottest one once you meet them both.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Shai has a chance to go in the lottery. If by some miracle we got a pick around #19 from the Cavs, and if he were there at #14 or so, I might package the #19, the Denver 2nd, and the 2019 CHI 2nd to get him.

This assumes we actually use the pick and aren't going to obtain both LeBron and PG and keep Randle (in which case the pick can't be on our books, unless you expect LeBron/PG to take paycuts), but yeah, I like what I'm seeing. Nineteen years old, and 82% at the FT line. Yes, please.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if he's declaring but Gabriel looks like a good sleeper pick for the second round.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Did you folks watched the Kentucky game today?

Omg. I want Shai Alexander and Hamidou Diallo on this team!

Trade Ball for a top 8 pick. Draft Shai Alexander as the point guard.

Use the 20th pick and draft Hamidou Diallo as shooting guard.

Oh wow!!
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:

Oh wow!!

Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:

Oh wow!!

Trade Ball? There are only 1 or two guys I'd think about trading ball for in this draft. I can't be lost how much our culture changed with his arrival. Ayton and MAYBE Doncic are the only ones I would trade him for.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
In vague order:

Troy Brown
Chandler Hutchison
De'Anthony Melton
Landry Shamet
Shamorie Ponds (really curious how workouts go)
Shake Milton

Can Melton shoot?

Ball-handling/shooting are fairly rudimentary. But I like that he can pass, switch, and really play defense. I'm okay if he learns to shoot later.

He also was a big shot maker at USC. Made a lot of key late game plays.

He also is fairly young for a Sophomore.

I don't think he makes it past 25.

Good thing we'll be picking 20th

(SPEAK IT IN TO EXISTENCE)
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Shai has a chance to go in the lottery. If by some miracle we got a pick around #19 from the Cavs, and if he were there at #14 or so, I might package the #19, the Denver 2nd, and the 2019 CHI 2nd to get him.

I wouldn't draft Shai. He had a great game today and looks to be an excellent player, but I think he has really limited upside in the NBA.

Based on what I've seen, he is an average athlete, not a great shooter and while he can finish below the rim in CBB, it won't translate in the NBA.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Mikal Bridges... damn...

Jalen Brunson

Yeah he was excellent as well, but it's like when you meet a family with two hot sisters, it's hard to keep your mind off of the hottest one once you meet them both.

not as long as you remain focused on the real goal.....both sisters.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Shai has a chance to go in the lottery.

I have had him in my mock lottery all year....I expect him and Knox to go in the lottery.
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
Jevon Carter finishes with 21 points on 9-17 shooting with 8 assists, 5 rebounds, and 6 steals.

Thats my dog, I still like him in this draft. If we are going to draft and keep this pick we need a player that can step right in, like Hart has. Jevon would be that guy.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

This assumes we actually use the pick and aren't going to obtain both LeBron and PG and keep Randle (in which case the pick can't be on our books, unless you expect LeBron/PG to take paycuts), but yeah, I like what I'm seeing. Nineteen years old, and 82% at the FT line. Yes, please.

Get me Troy Brown or Jontay Porter at that mid 1st. We'd be lucky if Zhaire Smith dropped to that pick. I'd have a case for Chandler Hutchison and Mitchell Robinson at the pick too.

I get it with SGA, but was never a fan of his Kyle Anderson pace and dead motor when he doesn't play PG/ball dominant. Kyle Anderson and Denzel Washington were similar archetypes with relative measurements by position, high 3pt. rate, passing ability.

Other than SGA being a freshman and Shake Milton being an upperclassman, what's the difference in their games?

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Get me Troy Brown or Jontay Porter at that mid 1st. We'd be lucky if Zhaire Smith dropped to that pick. I'd have a case for Chandler Hutchison and Mitchell Robinson at the pick too.

I get it with SGA, but was never a fan of his Kyle Anderson pace and dead motor when he doesn't play PG/ball dominant. Kyle Anderson and Denzel Washington were similar archetypes with relative measurements by position, high 3pt. rate, passing ability.

Other than SGA being a freshman and Shake Milton being an upperclassman, what's the difference in their games?

I watched Kyle Anderson at UCLA. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but what I saw from Shai today was a much more fluid athlete than what Kyle is. I mean this in a non-derogatory way, but when I watch Kyle Anderson, he reminds me of a WNBA player. I feel like he's giving up so much athleticism to his peers. I realize Shai isn't Russell Westbrook out there, but I think his athleticism is fine.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to need to watch more of Zhaire. He obviously pops off the page with the athleticism. I can look up shooting percentages to see that he's put up a line of .559/.424/.719, which looks great. But the .424 from 3 is on just 1 attempt per game, so I wonder how that will translate. Is he just a high-flyer, or does he look natural from distance? Does he have skill with the ball in his hands to create anything? I'll have to watch tape to get a good feel, and I'll be watching more closely in their next game (I only caught bits and pieces of their game today). Of course, I will appreciate the answers to some of those questions, to Mike and 44TL and whomever else might want to reply.

If the dude has a handle and can create and has a natural-looking shot from distance, I can see immense upside with him. Even if he can't create and is a high-flying 3 and D, that would work, too.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Also, while Diallo looked good today from what I saw, he looks like a project to me, and I'm not going to change my mind on that opinion. At least, not yet.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I watched Kyle Anderson at UCLA. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but what I saw from Shai today was a much more fluid athlete than what Kyle is. I mean this in a non-derogatory way, but when I watch Kyle Anderson, he reminds me of a WNBA player. I feel like he's giving up so much athleticism to his peers. I realize Shai isn't Russell Westbrook out there, but I think his athleticism is fine.

He's definitely a more fluid athlete. But like Kyle, SGA, Denzel Valentine, and other big PGs with passing abilities, they don't have great quickness, they don't have great speed, they don't have massive verts, and at times, end up playing a different position at the NBA level (which I always disagree with) to compensate for their perceived lack of athleticism.

Personally, I'm done with "average athleticism PGs" unless they show great motor. Steve Nash, showed motor. The above listed guys, don't.

Evan Turner was the same way.

But like I said, outside of age, what's the difference between SGA and Shake Milton? Honest question, because SGA is being considered roughly 10 spots higher than Shake, and I don't think that's a correct evaluation based on age alone.

What makes it worse for me, is how Kentucky is STACKED and only just now they show signs of an efficient offense? I kind of think they've just been intimidating opponents so far. Shake scored 33 against Wichita St. last January, with WAY higher 3pt volume WAY higher 3pt percentage, and I think is taller with a longer wingspan, similar athletic ability, similar ball-handling, similar passing.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

^
I think you said it, Mike. Age. In the lottery a team is usually going to go with the much younger dude if they think they have similar profiles. Also, I don't see Shai as Denzel Valentine. I haven't watched enough Shake to offer up a fair assessment on him, but I know that everybody has talked enough on him to basically put him in that range of crafty but slower guys, similar to Shamet, I guess. I've seen Shamet a bit. Worthy of a pick in the 20's, in my estimation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 61 of 494
Jump to: