Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Sagaba Konate declared... there's our rim protector... one of the best blockers in the nation and he can shoot 79% from the line. Good player to consider if we take a guard in the first round.

he has not hired agent, right?

Just saw him on that list... liked what I saw from him, though I remember you said you thought he might not be ready yet.

and just as important....WVU's front court is not ready to contend in the Big12 without him.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Sagaba Konate declared... there's our rim protector... one of the best blockers in the nation and he can shoot 79% from the line. Good player to consider if we take a guard in the first round.

he has not hired agent, right?

Just saw him on that list... liked what I saw from him, though I remember you said you thought he might not be ready yet.

and just as important....WVU's front court is not ready to contend in the Big12 without him.

lol... that was actually my first thought when you said that.

Don't blame you for trying though.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

JBizzlethethird wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Thoughts?

His release isn't that quick-- maybe it would improve with better footwork (the one-two into his shot does affect)?

I think his release is quick, not elite quick but quick.

The form......supports my theory that only similarly lengthed players can have similar strokes, his resembles Klay Thompson for sure - both 6'8 wingspans and similar reaches too probably

I'd love to draft him in the 2nd, I'd move up to draft him in the 2nd. He might crack the top 30 in my big board idk..shooting is important and he looks like he's going to be a sniper. Could be an average defender too looks like
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
JBizzlethethird wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Thoughts?

His release isn't that quick-- maybe it would improve with better footwork (the one-two into his shot does affect)?

The form......supports my theory that only similarly lengthed players can have similar strokes, his resembles Klay Thompson for sure - both 6'8 wingspans and similar reaches too probably

I'd love to draft him in the 2nd, I'd move up to draft him in the 2nd. He might crack the top 30 in my big board idk..shooting is important and he looks like he's going to be a sniper. Could be an average defender too looks like

Hardly any of those makes even touch the rim. I definitely see the Klay-lite comparison. Worth a gamble if he's available at #47 or as a UDFA.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

see @mike, https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/989197805242597376 this is a dunk off length. He has a borderline PF reach. feet don't get much off the ground, ball barely over the rim. While Okogie's feet float here and go up a level in air
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
JBizzlethethird wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Thoughts?

I think he's in my top 30. Prefer him to a few of the guys in conversation for 25.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
JBizzlethethird wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Thoughts?

I think he's in my top 30. Prefer him to a few of the guys in conversation for 25.

he's also a very solid athlete, I like his feet on Defense 20 secs earlier in the vid
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

Huerter is very likely gonna stick in the NBA with that shot and his size. Question is whether you want to use a 1st on him - I wouldn't. Klay super lite - don't think he will be even close to the defender Klay is, nor is he as athletic, and he doesn't quite have the explosive scoring capability (Klay had multiple 30+ and a 40+ game in college, Huerter never >26, and only 5 games >20 out of 65 games)
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Watched a little Khyri Thomas footage. Got some defensive chops and pretty good finishing on the break. Have to see some more. Liking the options for a PG in this draft and we definitely need another one if no IT next year.
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
anyone listen to the Rice Commission this morning, or read the report? Any thoughts?

The one item that I have issue with is the recommendation to allow players to fully go through the draft, and as long as they do not sign a NBA contract, they can return to college. I get that it sounds good....but it only invites chaos at both levels.

- for an NBA team....what happens when a team uses a late 1st or even 2nd Round pick on a player, and the player decides to return to school to improve their draft position? How is the team compensated?

- for a college program....how do you construct a roster when you do not know who is returning or needs replaced until late in the summer?

- why would every player not enter the draft every year?

If an early entry player went back to school, the NBA team would presumably retain their rights until a year after their natural draft class.

I like it. If someone gets bad advice or misinformation and isn’t drafted where expected, they could go back. Great protection for the athlete, and the NBA team still ultimately has their rights.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

* New mock draft from Sporting News have us drafting Mitchell Robinson.
This is who I really hope we end up drafting but IMO he'll be gone long before our turn comes around.

NBA Mock Draft 2018:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2018-lottery-picks-order-cavs-suns-grizzlies-mavericks-hawks-knicks/op8qv5yc5gws1olauo5i14e1f
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Huerter is very likely gonna stick in the NBA with that shot and his size. Question is whether you want to use a 1st on him - I wouldn't. Klay super lite - don't think he will be even close to the defender Klay is, nor is he as athletic, and he doesn't quite have the explosive scoring capability (Klay had multiple 30+ and a 40+ game in college, Huerter never >26, and only 5 games >20 out of 65 games)

Although Huerter is younger than Klay - not even 20 yet. I was trying to look up game Logs on my phone for Klay in his first two seasons to compare and could only find logs from his junior season.

Also it's ok if he's not Klay, he doesn't have to be Klay. I've seen some decent highlights on defense from him though and some good reads in the few vids I've watched. I'll have to watch more of him.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
This is who I really hope we end up drafting but IMO he'll be gone long before our turn comes around.

NBA Mock Draft 2018:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2018-lottery-picks-order-cavs-suns-grizzlies-mavericks-hawks-knicks/op8qv5yc5gws1olauo5i14e1f

Him or Jontay Porter I would like very much here.

Jontay Porter the most. But after the combine, he could move up into the lottery damn it.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
pio2u wrote:

NBA Mock Draft 2018:

Jontay Porter the most. But after the combine, he could move up into the lottery damn it.

Breaks my heart but I think he's picked before 20th.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

With the Lakers scouting staff doing a bang up job last year, it will be interesting to see what they can do this year.
Whatever you do don't give up the first rounder to dump Deng. Let him take a dump.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Thoughts?

2nd round.

Early 2nd or late 2nd?

Mid to late 2nd. Think a lot of guys in the same general tier of talent from roughly 20-35 or so.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Is there a new rule where undrafted players can go back to college?

Not a new rule. Only if it's their 1st time declaring and they haven't signed an agent.

Givony noted that this season is 30% higher than usual, and before it was already too many.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
see @mike, https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/989197805242597376 this is a dunk off length. He has a borderline PF reach. feet don't get much off the ground, ball barely over the rim. While Okogie's feet float here and go up a level in air

Okogie has a way of "floating" but I'm not particularly impressed with the vert height of either dunk. Without freeze frame, I basically think top of head height is mid-height of the net or lower. It's the reach that allows them to have clean finishes. As a reference point, I think Jordan Clarkson was the same way, and he had above average wingspan by height too. All three guys look more like distance leapers than high/above the rim finishers.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

NBA Mock Draft 2018:

Considering the remaining picks on the board, I'd prefer Hutchison.

There's a reason why even Hassan Whiteside is on the trade block now. Can't defend the perimeter. Can't space the offense. Same insanely high swat rate with elite wingspan and finishing ability.

Who are the guys that stood out vs. PHI? Redick, Belinelli, Covington, Josh Richardson, Olynyk.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
TrekLife wrote:
It would be dope if you guys all posted a google doc or something with your big boards.

Yep, yep

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=184718

I just edited and added a few details. I'm just going to add the date of when the details and rerank was added.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
https://twitter.com/JHoyNBA/status/988985400491413504 one of The Stepein writers' bigboard

Yeah, I saw that. Retweeted, but then undid it because there was a lot more that I disagree with that I thought I would.

I'm still keen on my primary 3 guys for the draft.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Okogie has a way of "floating" but I'm not particularly impressed with the vert height of either dunk. Without freeze frame, I basically think top of head height is mid-height of the net or lower. It's the reach that allows them to have clean finishes. As a reference point, I think Jordan Clarkson was the same way, and he had above average wingspan by height too. All three guys look more like distance leapers than high/above the rim finishers.

Clarkson, 6'8 wingspan for a 6'3.25 height without shoes(6'4.5" player), that's not much above average. And he only had a 8'2 reach, below average. Clarkson had vert

I actually remember us arguing over his vert, because of this dunk
, you thought was unimpressive due to head height. But when going full speed and having to quick-leap, players don't get full vert often times
See Westbrook here

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
pio2u wrote:

NBA Mock Draft 2018:

Breaks my heart but I think he's picked before 20th.

I think it will depend on the team and what their needs are. So let's look at from 17-25 which I assume is Porter's current range.

17 - Bucks. This team scares me a little at this range cuz currently they have no center. Henson? Thon Maker still sucks. And they need shooting just as much as we do. But we'll see. I could see them going after a SF or PG instead like Troy Brown or something since they don't really have one. Bledsoe is a bum and Greek Freak should be a PF.

18 - Spurs. This is the article's pick but I don't see the connection with them after Porter. They have LMA and Gasol for a good period of time. And with Murray still being very raw and Pop not getting any younger, I would think he would go after somebody more proven. Or at least, different position. A guard or SF if they trade Leonard and Danny Green might opt out apparently. This feels like a Jacob Evans or Lonnie Walker pick here.

19 - Hawks. They get their big man fix with either Ayton, Bamba, Bagley, etc with their lottery pick, so they will definitely take a guard/SF here.

20 - Wolves. This team would scare me too if it weren't for the fact that their coach is Thibs. He already has his boy Taj and he will want someone older and proven. That Bates-Diop pick the article said is right on the money I think.

21 - Jazz. I have no idea honestly. Article says Jacob Evans but they have Mitchell...Ingles at SF too and their frontcourt is also loaded. So yeah I guess a backup SG/SF is a need for them.

22 - Bulls. Now luckily, the Bulls have Lauri and will also get their big man fix with their lottery pick. So no Porter pick here. A guard definitely.

23 - Pacers. They have Turner and Sabonis and Thad Young. They need a guard too and someone that can shoot so that Thomas guy in the article makes sense I guess.

24 - Blazers. They have Nurkic, Zach Collins, Aminu, Swanigan, etc etc. Absolutely no threat to draft Porter here.

25 - Lakers. Then there is us, draft Porter and we go home happy.

Obviously this is subject to change and could be off, but just like any player that is projected in the mid round, there has always been slips whether it's because of team need, or they just like the other player better.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Clarkson, 6'8 wingspan for a 6'3.25 height without shoes(6'4.5" player), that's not much above average. And he only had a 8'2 reach, below average. Clarkson had vert

I actually remember us arguing over his vert, because of this dunk
, you thought was unimpressive due to head height. But when going full speed and having to quick-leap, players don't get full vert often times
See Westbrook here

For a 6'3.25" height, I'd say 6'6" is average. 6'8" Yeah, that's legit.

Also think JC and Westbrook have a different level of twitch (I'm hypothesizing that twitch later adds to more explosive vert at NBA level) and I don't perceive Okogie nor Doncic as considerably more "strong" than twitchy.

Doncic actually goes away from my old draft philosophies pretty strongly.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

6'8 wingpsan for 6'4.5 player is solid but I wouldn't say much above average, and his reach is below average. I see most 6'4.5 guys with about 6'8 wingspans

https://on.nba.com/2hXxizC 90% of the 6'3 - 6'4 guys without shoes from last years combine have 6'7.5+ wingspans....

here's the head height you like. I still contend that Clarkson was an elite leaper his rookie year..just doesn't have Westbrook reach.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgfDZX8ldNE/?hl=en&taken-by=delonwright I also think Westbrook has grown, D.Wright is a legit 6'5
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 111 of 494
Jump to: