Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
17 - Bucks. This team scares me a little at this range cuz currently they have no center. Henson? Thon Maker still sucks. And they need shooting just as much as we do. But we'll see. I could see them going after a SF or PG instead like Troy Brown or something since they don't really have one. Bledsoe is a bum and Greek Freak should be a PF.

18 - Spurs. This is the article's pick but I don't see the connection with them after Porter. They have LMA and Gasol for a good period of time. And with Murray still being very raw and Pop not getting any younger, I would think he would go after somebody more proven. Or at least, different position. A guard or SF if they trade Leonard and Danny Green might opt out apparently. This feels like a Jacob Evans or Lonnie Walker pick here.

19 - Hawks. They get their big man fix with either Ayton, Bamba, Bagley, etc with their lottery pick, so they will definitely take a guard/SF here.

20 - Wolves. This team would scare me too if it weren't for the fact that their coach is Thibs. He already has his boy Taj and he will want someone older and proven. That Bates-Diop pick the article said is right on the money I think.

21 - Jazz. I have no idea honestly. Article says Jacob Evans but they have Mitchell...Ingles at SF too and their frontcourt is also loaded. So yeah I guess a backup SG/SF is a need for them.

22 - Bulls. Now luckily, the Bulls have Lauri and will also get their big man fix with their lottery pick. So no Porter pick here. A guard definitely.

23 - Pacers. They have Turner and Sabonis and Thad Young. They need a guard too and someone that can shoot so that Thomas guy in the article makes sense I guess.

24 - Blazers. They have Nurkic, Zach Collins, Aminu, Swanigan, etc etc. Absolutely no threat to draft Porter here.

25 - Lakers. Then there is us, draft Porter and we go home happy.

17. Bucks - I think the Bucks just draft length. They'll likely do it again for Mitchell Robinson.
18. Spurs - This is the team that drafts Porter because they don't look at athleticism. They look at skill sets and intangibles. Gasol can exit, and Jontay plays in one of the best systems in the league that accommodates for his skill set + opens the floor for emerging player Dejounte Murray. This is BPA + Fit for them.
19. Hawks - PG or wing. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Aaron Holiday or Troy Brown.
20. Wolves - Jacob Evans is such a Thibs profile. Strong, defensive player, range.
21. Jazz - There goes Hutchison
22. Bulls - Elie Okobo
23. Pacers - De'Anthony Melton
24. Blazers - Anfernee Simons. Take the riskier pick but with CJ and Lillard to mentor and cover up mistakes while he's developing.
25. Lakers - That leaves, Landry Shamet or Aaron Holiday.

Good thing I'm not drafting for other teams.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Ya I can see the Spurs drafting Jontay for sure
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
6'8 wingpsan for 6'4.5 player is solid but I wouldn't say much above average, and his reach is below average. I see most 6'4.5 guys with about 6'8 wingspans

https://on.nba.com/2hXxizC 90% of the 6'3 - 6'4 guys without shoes from last years combine have 6'7.5+ wingspans....

here's the head height you like. I still contend that Clarkson was an elite leaper his rookie year..just doesn't have Westbrook reach.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgfDZX8ldNE/?hl=en&taken-by=delonwright I also think Westbrook has grown, D.Wright is a legit 6'5

Elite leaper can be defined in different ways. I just don't think Clarkson gets a lot of height on his vert, and I think it actually affects his attack. LaVine with the same height/wingspan (roughly) is flat out scary, and he doesn't even have as functional of a handle as Clarkson in iso. That dude is eye level. I just want above the halfway mark on the Net considering his wingspan. When it's Okogie or Doncic with near or at 7' wingspans, I'm not as impressed.

I'd also contend that JC during his rookie year was Missouri to Pre Draft to Draft to Vegas Pro League to Canadian Tournament (and won), and then little recovery time until season started, and even then, he was getting in shape in the D-League before getting real NBA PT.

Sidenote: I've been taking yoga (I use it as my personal physical therapy while recovering still) and apparently, I've grown almost an inch. I'm about 15-20 years beyond "growing age." I think this is part of why some NBA players in their early to late 20s are still growing despite heavy NBA minutes. I even remember the Bucks Pro League team going through a vinyasa prior to a game and was shocked.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm not big on Shamet...

I wasn't big on Hart last year lol
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone remember when draft workouts usually happen?
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Thoughts on Matur Maker? Some say he play like Giannis.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Thoughts on Matur Maker? Some say he play like Giannis.

Kind of don't want to say anything, because Thon had mindblowing reels in HS and looked like he had legit wing handle and jumpshot. Turns out, DX's scouting report was WAYYYYYYY more accurate.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
I'm not big on Shamet...

Defenses don't get more tough than that vs. Shamet.

AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
I'm not big on Shamet...

That was super impressive from Shamet
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
I'm not big on Shamet...

I'm just waiting for Pre-Draft measurements. I'm still guessing that wingspan at 6'10". If that's legit, he's just strength away from having the frame to be a solid defender.

Then I'll really want him for the Lakers.

It's the pull up shots and short-space Iso shots that I find particularly impressive.

Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
17 - Bucks. This team scares me a little at this range cuz currently they have no center. Henson? Thon Maker still sucks. And they need shooting just as much as we do. But we'll see. I could see them going after a SF or PG instead like Troy Brown or something since they don't really have one. Bledsoe is a bum and Greek Freak should be a PF.

18 - Spurs. This is the article's pick but I don't see the connection with them after Porter. They have LMA and Gasol for a good period of time. And with Murray still being very raw and Pop not getting any younger, I would think he would go after somebody more proven. Or at least, different position. A guard or SF if they trade Leonard and Danny Green might opt out apparently. This feels like a Jacob Evans or Lonnie Walker pick here.

19 - Hawks. They get their big man fix with either Ayton, Bamba, Bagley, etc with their lottery pick, so they will definitely take a guard/SF here.

20 - Wolves. This team would scare me too if it weren't for the fact that their coach is Thibs. He already has his boy Taj and he will want someone older and proven. That Bates-Diop pick the article said is right on the money I think.

21 - Jazz. I have no idea honestly. Article says Jacob Evans but they have Mitchell...Ingles at SF too and their frontcourt is also loaded. So yeah I guess a backup SG/SF is a need for them.

22 - Bulls. Now luckily, the Bulls have Lauri and will also get their big man fix with their lottery pick. So no Porter pick here. A guard definitely.

23 - Pacers. They have Turner and Sabonis and Thad Young. They need a guard too and someone that can shoot so that Thomas guy in the article makes sense I guess.

24 - Blazers. They have Nurkic, Zach Collins, Aminu, Swanigan, etc etc. Absolutely no threat to draft Porter here.

17. Bucks - I think the Bucks just draft length. They'll likely do it again for Mitchell Robinson.
18. Spurs - This is the team that drafts Porter because they don't look at athleticism. They look at skill sets and intangibles. Gasol can exit, and Jontay plays in one of the best systems in the league that accommodates for his skill set + opens the floor for emerging player Dejounte Murray. This is BPA + Fit for them.
19. Hawks - PG or wing. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Aaron Holiday or Troy Brown.
20. Wolves - Jacob Evans is such a Thibs profile. Strong, defensive player, range.
22. Bulls - Elie Okobo
24. Blazers - Anfernee Simons. Take the riskier pick but with CJ and Lillard to mentor and cover up mistakes while he's developing.

Would Porter & Gobert together be workable for Utah? The Utah GM worked in the Spurs FO and has drafted well with Mitchell and Gobert.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Would Porter & Gobert together be workable for Utah? The Utah GM worked in the Spurs FO and has drafted well with Mitchell and Gobert.

Yes.

Just going to allude to my thought process with bigs. The big question is, "Does he play like a wing?"

Anthony Davis? Yes.
Al Horford, yes, just very slowly. Shoot, pass, drive threat.

Porter does all of those things with his best emphasis on shooting and passing. Complements Gobert well. Even if Porter gets beat (assuming he's playing PF), Gobert can back him up. I don't think he'll be some great PnR defender, but I do think he'll be such a ++ on offense and Gobert is in the backline, it wouldn't even matter.

PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I'm starting to get sold on Porter. Man can he pass for a big. And that stroke is sweet. Stats weren't overly impressive, but he passes the eye test. Too bad I bet he ends up in the lottery, no later than late teens

How is his rim protection? I see him as a Center for us, nice compliment to Randle.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
I'm starting to get sold on Porter. Man can he pass for a big. And that stroke is sweet. Stats weren't overly impressive, but he passes the eye test. Too bad I bet he ends up in the lottery, no later than late teens

How is his rim protection? I see him as a Center for us, nice compliment to Randle.

Solid, not great, kind of like Brook. But for a kid so young, he does a great job with getting himself in position against post players and even perimeter players. Not much else to expect from there.

AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
I'm not big on Shamet...

I'm just waiting for Pre-Draft measurements. I'm still guessing that wingspan at 6'10". If that's legit, he's just strength away from having the frame to be a solid defender.

It's the pull up shots and short-space Iso shots that I find particularly impressive.

I really didn't know he had that level of shot creation. Just thought he was a shooter that you could run off some screens. The length makes him extra intriguing.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
I'm not big on Shamet...

I really didn't know he had that level of shot creation. Just thought he was a shooter that you could run off some screens. The length makes him extra intriguing.

Fast forward to 47:07. Keep in mind the stats were updated through the end of March.
https://www.almightyballer.com/taking-charge-w-cranjis-mcbasketball-ep-29-previewing-the-draft-with-mike-garcia-canyondriver/

Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Yes.

Just going to allude to my thought process with bigs. The big question is, "Does he play like a wing?"

Anthony Davis? Yes.

Porter does all of those things with his best emphasis on shooting and passing. Complements Gobert well. Even if Porter gets beat (assuming he's playing PF), Gobert can back him up. I don't think he'll be some great PnR defender, but I do think he'll be such a ++ on offense and Gobert is in the backline, it wouldn't even matter.

Favors needs a new contract with Jerebko 31 and Udoh 30.

Bradley & Niang are young, but Porter with more upside.

Just find it difficult to see him drop past both the Spurs and Jazz.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Yes.

Anthony Davis? Yes.

Favors needs a new contract with Jerebko 31 and Udoh 30.

Bradley & Niang are young, but Porter with more upside.

Just find it difficult to see him drop past both the Spurs and Jazz.

Same. I have him ranked #11 on my big board.

There are mock drafts that have him going into the late 1st. Even then, it's the Spurs and Jazz to get over before the possibility of the Lakers.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Aike wrote:
adkindo wrote:
anyone listen to the Rice Commission this morning, or read the report? Any thoughts?

The one item that I have issue with is the recommendation to allow players to fully go through the draft, and as long as they do not sign a NBA contract, they can return to college. I get that it sounds good....but it only invites chaos at both levels.

- for an NBA team....what happens when a team uses a late 1st or even 2nd Round pick on a player, and the player decides to return to school to improve their draft position? How is the team compensated?

- for a college program....how do you construct a roster when you do not know who is returning or needs replaced until late in the summer?

- why would every player not enter the draft every year?

If an early entry player went back to school, the NBA team would presumably retain their rights until a year after their natural draft class.

I like it. If someone gets bad advice or misinformation and isn’t drafted where expected, they could go back. Great protection for the athlete, and the NBA team still ultimately has their rights.

the player would not return college if the team kept their rights....the whole point would be to be drafted higher, thus get paid more the following year.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

22. Bulls - Elie Okobo

shake? brunson?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
I'm not big on Shamet...
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject:

GSW

Klay 44% 3pt shooting
Quinn Cook 44%
Curry 42%
KD 42%
Swaggy 38%

Houston

Ryan Anderson 39%
CP3 38%
Harden 37%
Ariza 37%
Tucker 37%
Green 37%

New Orleans

Moore 43%
Miller 41%
Mirotic 38%

Philly

TJ 44%
Redick 42%
Saric 39%
Belinelli 39%
Covington 37%

Utah

Ingles 44%
Hood 39%
Even Rubio is up to 35%

Boston

Horford 43%
Tatum 43%
Kyrie 41%
Jaylen 40%
Morris 37%
Hayward is coming back

Cleveland

Korver 44%
Love 42%
Hill 42%
JR Smith 38%
LeBron 37%

Indiana

Collison 47%
Bogdanovic 40%
Oladipo 37%

Los Angeles (not counting those we haven't signed)

Hart 40%
Ingram 39%
Kuzma 37%
Ball 31%
Randle 22%

This wouldn't be so bad except Hart and Ingram average less than two attempts per game.

We need shooters... I get the concept of BPA... I get the concept of the importance of shot creation... but we... need... shooters.

If the rest of the elite teams can successfully utilize unathletic shooters, so can we.

I'm not saying replace the entire team with slow, lumbering Europeans... I'm saying let us get one guy who can at least reliably hit the three and convert their free throws.

That's why I want Shamet... but will keep my mind open for your guys choices as well.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject:

Quote:

shake? brunson?

Brunson has IMHO higher overall PG IQ than Shamet, but Shamet has wingspan to compensate defensively. When comparing hoop IQ, the difference isn't much.

As for Shake, I'm concerned about his total lack of strength, high base, and "hit the brakes." Shamet is basically like combining Milton and Brunson into one player with even more proficient, dynamic shooting.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
We need shooters... I get the concept of BPA... I get the concept of the importance of shot creation... but we... need... shooters.

If the rest of the elite teams can successfully utilize unathletic shooters, so can we.

Strongly disagree. Those other teams you listed have franchise players on their respective teams, and those guys cover up for so many mistakes on both ends of the floor.

It's like saying, yeah, Philly has Redick and Belinelli and forgetting they have Ben Simmons and Embiid.

The Lakers need franchise players first so they have a better idea of the kind of talent they want to surround the core with.

EVEN then, choosing BPA next to franchise players, still maximizes roster value and individual talent for opportunities down the line.

What is easily forgotten in that list of shooters is, how long some of those guys took to actually develop into the shooters they are today. Al Horford couldn't even shoot outside of 15' when he was drafted. It's just too important to be patient with the team unless specific acquisitions advance the timetable for playoff window/championship run.

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Strongly disagree. Those other teams you listed have franchise players on their respective teams, and those guys cover up for so many mistakes on both ends of the floor.

It's like saying, yeah, Philly has Redick and Belinelli and forgetting they have Ben Simmons and Embiid.

The Lakers need franchise players first so they have a better idea of the kind of talent they want to surround the core with.

EVEN then, choosing BPA next to franchise players, still maximizes roster value and individual talent for opportunities down the line.

What is easily forgotten in that list of shooters is, how long some of those guys took to actually develop into the shooters they are today. Al Horford couldn't even shoot outside of 15' when he was drafted. It's just too important to be patient with the team unless specific acquisitions advance the timetable for playoff window/championship run.

I was operating under the assumption that the core plus the one or two elite FAs would fulfill the franchise player aspect... and the shooter would be a compliment. We need a center/rim protector... so I'd be happy if we picked a Porter/Robinson/Konate but I still don't see where the shooting is coming from. If you can draft Simons or Trae... I can see how that type of player could blossom into something special... but where we are picking, it seems like picking for need could be just as advantageous as choosing someone who will probably never be more than a sixth man level player.

Even if our wishes come true... we get PG and LeBron... but then lose Brook... IT... KCP... we improve drastically in terms of creating a group of superior positionless perimeter players.... but we still have a net loss in outside shooting capability. There is no money to get another shooter.

I respect your posts and find them very informative... but I don't get mathematically how we can defeat teams with a fleet of 40% 3 point shooters... when PG is our only true sharpshooter unless Ball/Ingram/Hart can all starting hitting the three with high volume at minimum KCP's level.

I think we have the same chance that Detroit's 2004 squad... but even our Lakers teams who didn't have that sharpshooting... had dominant centers and Kobe in his prime to overcome the deficit. We would be relying on aging LeBron to replace Kobe... and although we'd have an outside chance... I still think we need shooters.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 112 of 494
Jump to: