Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

I am a little biased but I think the Lakers should target Rawle Alkins with a late first round pick. I see a another hidden gem and a more athletic Dillon Brooks type player with the right development.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

kobe_somebody_odom wrote:
I am a little biased but I think the Lakers should target Rawle Alkins with a late first round pick. I see a another hidden gem and a more athletic Dillon Brooks type player with the right development.

I'm on the Trier bandwagon but Alkins could have some appeal. Looks like he has a grown man''s body already, that's for sure.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

What's the consensus on Shake Milton out of SMU? Seems like a good combo-guard option, one with good physical tools like fellow SMU swingman Semi Ojeleye - who was on my short list last year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
How about Joel Berry with that second rounder? Heady PG that has won a nat'l championship and played in 2 finals

Too small. If I'm going small it's with an ultra skilled guy, that kid from LSU...

Holiday. Celebrate.

Just one day, I would like.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
What's the consensus on Shake Milton out of SMU? Seems like a good combo-guard option, one with good physical tools like fellow SMU swingman Semi Ojeleye - who was on my short list last year.

He's on my list for the first round. Elite shooter, 6'5", 7' WS. Kyle Anderson-like athleticism. Can be switchable on defense because of physical tools, maybe be net neutral defensively. Really underrated passer. Limited mistakes guy. I don't think he'll be a primary playmaker, but he's a dude you can just randomly throw at a guard or wing spot (kind of like Brandon Ingram and Josh Hart starting in the backcourt), and he'd fit right in and add some defensive versatility.

I am concerned that he's 48.3% at the rim, and takes roughly 20% of his shots at the rim. So worst case, Tony Snell, but with a clue for passing.

Ideally, the Lakers would want Sterling Brown for a guy with a similar archetype.

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

He's on my list for the first round. Elite shooter, 6'5", 7' WS. Kyle Anderson-like athleticism. Can be switchable on defense because of physical tools, maybe be net neutral defensively. Really underrated passer. Limited mistakes guy. I don't think he'll be a primary playmaker, but he's a dude you can just randomly throw at a guard or wing spot (kind of like Brandon Ingram and Josh Hart starting in the backcourt), and he'd fit right in and add some defensive versatility.

I am concerned that he's 48.3% at the rim, and takes roughly 20% of his shots at the rim. So worst case, Tony Snell, but with a clue for passing.

Ideally, the Lakers would want Sterling Brown for a guy with a similar archetype.

Sounds like a perfect off-guard next to Lonzo.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

Yeah. I'm trying to not buy into "fit." We didn't "need" another PF because of Randle and LNJ, we drafted Kuzma, and bam.

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

i LOVE tremont waters' skills. his handle and footwork are breathtaking at times. but i really struggle to see a guy with his physical profile succeeding in the NBA. he doesn't have the strength of an earl boykins, the bounce of a nate robinson, the acceleration of a isaiah thomas. i think there's just better options if you're going to roll the dice on a draft pick.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
i LOVE tremont waters' skills. his handle and footwork are breathtaking at times. but i really struggle to see a guy with his physical profile succeeding in the NBA. he doesn't have the strength of an earl boykins, the bounce of a nate robinson, the acceleration of a isaiah thomas. i think there's just better options if you're going to roll the dice on a draft pick.

I think you're underrating his quickness/acceleration.. I look for clear ++wins there with him, and I always see them.
this 'bigman' he dusts is twitchy.
burst , pretty effortlessly.

He also doesn't have a skinny body for his age..
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/tremont-waters-is-defended-by-mohamed-bamba-during-the-news-photo/669818086

https://usathss.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/xxx__jordan_brand_16819_90252607.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
side by side to Trae Young, he's not all bone like him. Gotta let him grow into his body as well

this is the quickness I specifically look for man. you can't succeed as a little-man without it being this elite - and he actually accelerates impressively twice, once on the finish-step. that's the athleticism I look for, also helps him finish/leap.
that little man quick/slitheryness ..

got some moves for a Freshman..at 5'11 at that. I also think his finishing is beyond his years. It reminds me of Isaiah.. The really slithery finishing+touch that I didn't see with Felder..
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

Yeah. I'm trying to not buy into "fit." We didn't "need" another PF because of Randle and LNJ, we drafted Kuzma, and bam.

Agreed. BPA is always the best. You can move things around later for fit. I'm just imagining scenarios.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Maybe the .694 TS % was too good to be true after all?

Jeff Borzello

Verified account

@jeffborzello
20m
20 minutes ago

More
The NCAA has declared Allonzo Trier ineligible, Arizona just announced. A reappearance of a banned substance was found in a January drug test. Arizona is appealing the decision.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

I think you're underrating his quickness/acceleration.. I look for clear ++wins there with him, and I always see them.
this 'bigman' he dusts is twitchy.
burst , pretty effortlessly.

He also doesn't have a skinny body for his age..
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/tremont-waters-is-defended-by-mohamed-bamba-during-the-news-photo/669818086

https://usathss.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/xxx__jordan_brand_16819_90252607.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
side by side to Trae Young, he's not all bone like him. Gotta let him grow into his body as well

this is the quickness I specifically look for man. you can't succeed as a little-man without it being this elite - and he actually accelerates impressively twice, once on the finish-step. that's the athleticism I look for, also helps him finish/leap.
that little man quick/slitheryness ..

got some moves for a Freshman..at 5'11 at that. I also think his finishing is beyond his years. It reminds me of Isaiah.. The really slithery finishing+touch that I didn't see with Felder..

Yea I guess I don’t think he’s coming out this tear anyway so we can’t watch movies for 2019 or 2020
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Ya id guess that's the biggest reason he's not being talked about more
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject:

We've selected at pick #27 two of the last three years, having done pretty well in both cases. Just as an interesting thing, look at #s 26 and 27 over the last five drafts

2013-Andre Roberson : Rudy Gobert
2014-PJ Hairston : Bogdanovic Bogdanovic
2015-Nikola Milutinov : Larry Nance Jr.
2016-Firman Korkmaz : Pascal Siakam
2017- Caleb Swanigan : Kyle Kuzma

The Cavs' pick is currently 26. Time to make a new hot spot
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
length has simply not been a factor in him being a Big 12 1st Team All Defense all 4 years and the National Defensive Player of the Year.

I put little credibility in NCAA defensive awards. Carter earned his, yes. It just tells me he's legit for NCAA comp.

What does elite NBA level PG defense look like? Chris Paul is the most IQ defender I've ever seen. Marcus Smart has all of the tools, plus motor and defensive IQ. Lonzo Ball wasn't known for his defense at UCLA, and yet at the NBA level, he looks legit. A big part of that is because he shows motor, but it's the height/wingspan/IQ that make the most of his efforts. I can expect Lonzo Ball to make recovery block if he gets blown by. I don't expect that of Carter. That's how tough of a step it is next level. Even LNJ had multiple defensive accolades, and he's what, an above average defender at PF, not good at all defensively at C, and has a tough time against elite PFs like Blake Griffin?

we disagree on Carter....and will likely continue to disagree....and next year if he is productive in the NBA, I will likely bring it up often and if not, I will mostly ignore and hope nobody brings it to my attention.

btw, what are your thoughts on Sags Konate? I am really surprised I never see his name mentioned anywhere...even as a person of interest. Not sure if you have watched much WVU this season, but he is an unbelievable rim protector. He is only listed @ 6'8" most places and 6'9" others....but I am guessing he has good length. I have honestly seen few with his anticipation, ability to remain vertical, and his ability to block shots with either hand (often he uses both like volleyball). He does not yet have a 3 point shot....but he has real nice touch out to about 18 feet (78% FT Shooter), and has some very nice moves in the post. Again, his shot blocking ability is unique. If you have watched him, any idea where he could fit in the NBA?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Man, I'm not even an NBA player but even I'm 5'8" (somehow I've grown the past 6 months and I'm definitely not of growing age) and have a 6'1" wingspan.

It kind of makes me chuckle. Isaiah Thomas' wingspan is 6'2.75". Still a ridiculous liability despite legit WS by height, but at least it helps him with ball-handling.

you have NBA wingspan.....

Quote:
the average adult man has an arm span 2.1 inches longer than his height. According to DraftExpress’s historical numbers, the average NBA prospect is 4.4 inches longer than he is tall.

like I said previously, I want to see Carter's actual measurements at the combine.....will not be surprised if he ends up around 6'1"ish with a 6'5"ish wingspan.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

I have a feeling this pick will be a two way wing or combo guard 1-2 or 2-3
Or even better 1-3 (I think we already have the 1-3 in hart and 3-4 in Kuzma). So, I think we’re going try swingman 2-3. A Corey brewer replacement..someone who can play defense, slash and most importantly get out and run. Shooting would be nice but I don’t think that’s a priority...defense and finishing imo. We want to run teams into the ground...

Anyways whether you agree or not I’m curious if there are any prospects like that in this draft. I’m usually on top of the nba draft but I fell off this season. Any suggestions?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/967039856479174656
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

it's from the Yahoo report....Kuzma was also listed....probably means nothing for the guys no longer playing in college.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

Seems like a wing is the most popular speculation and interest for the late first pick. Any thoughts on selecting a center?

There seems to be a few floating around the mid 20's to low 30's that could be available to the Lakers. Adding a more athletic or defensive center to the mix may not be a bad idea. Do any stand out to anyone?

Going to be interesting to see how or if the Center position is handled in free agency. From what I have seen of Zubac and/or Bryant they are not ready to play significant mpg unless there is a big leap over the summer.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

it's from the Yahoo report....Kuzma was also listed....probably means nothing for the guys no longer playing in college.

Don’t think anything will happen to the guys who have already moved on, but this is getting closer and closer to the NCAA tipping point. They are in trouble imo and have to overhaul how business is done. Transparency, structure for paying athletes, etc.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Man, I'm not even an NBA player but even I'm 5'8" (somehow I've grown the past 6 months and I'm definitely not of growing age) and have a 6'1" wingspan.

It kind of makes me chuckle. Isaiah Thomas' wingspan is 6'2.75". Still a ridiculous liability despite legit WS by height, but at least it helps him with ball-handling.

you have NBA wingspan.....

Quote:
the average adult man has an arm span 2.1 inches longer than his height. According to DraftExpress’s historical numbers, the average NBA prospect is 4.4 inches longer than he is tall.

like I said previously, I want to see Carter's actual measurements at the combine.....will not be surprised if he ends up around 6'1"ish with a 6'5"ish wingspan.

Yeah, I'd like official measurement too. It's weird that Carter has a wingspan 2" longer than mine, aside from him being 6'2"

LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

Mike @ lg, what is your take on Melvin frazier? 6'6 sg with a 7 ft wingspan and a 2 way player? Seems like he is a late first round pick?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Mike@lg, what is your take on Melvin frazier? 6'6 sg with a 7 ft wingspan and a 2 way player? Seems like he is a late first round pick?

one guy I thought of in response to PICKnPOP's question. Also a few others include Chandler Hutchinson (Boise St.), Zhaire Smith (Texas Tech), Dzanan Musa (Bosnia), Tyus Battle (Syracuse), Troy Brown (Oregon)
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Mike@lg, what is your take on Melvin frazier? 6'6 sg with a 7 ft wingspan and a 2 way player? Seems like he is a late first round pick?

I don't think he'll be around the Lakers pick. Super explosive. Has some motor. Hits the boards. A lot of qualities to like.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 40 of 494
Jump to: