Give Deng an Extension (No Seriously, Read Within)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Give Deng an Extension (No Seriously, Read Within)

Hey all,

To Make Room for 2 Stars, Lakers Should Give Luol Deng an Extension, Seriously (at @BleacherReport )

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2743657-to-make-room-for-2-stars-lakers-should-give-luol-deng-an-extension-seriously

Cheers,

Eric
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

This is great stuff EP.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

What chance do you give the Lakers at getting 2 max players.. ?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Really great article, Eric. This is really thought-provoking. I'm just curious, is this something that you became aware of recently, or have you been sitting on it?

It really does make some solid sense, if he's willing to do it. Rather than having to attach 1 or 2 first round picks to get Deng out of here, it's probably best to have the much smaller cap hit spread out over 11 years. I've been a staunch proponent of not wanting to stretch him at the $7+MM hit over 5 years, but at around $3MM, and saving the picks, I think I like this idea very much.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

That's a very good idea.
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

11 more years at 3.3? i would just pay 2 1st round picks + Zubac and not hear Deng's name again
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

TheeChosenLonzo wrote:
11 more years at 3.3? i would just pay 2 1st round picks + Zubac and not hear Deng's name again

I don't agree. I didn't want the $7+MM hit, but at only $3.3MM or so, I'd rather keep the picks. I think we can accomplish what I want to accomplish with summer 2018 free agency if the cap hit is only $3.3MM of our space.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

This should be unstickied to get more hits, because most posters don't read stickied threads.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Brilliant idea!
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
TheeChosenLonzo wrote:

I don't agree. I didn't want the $7+MM hit, but at only $3.3MM or so, I'd rather keep the picks. I think we can accomplish what I want to accomplish with summer 2018 free agency if the cap hit is only $3.3MM of our space.

i guess i like to cut my losses when i know they are losses, pay the price and move.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

TheeChosenLonzo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
TheeChosenLonzo wrote:

i guess i like to cut my losses when i know they are losses, pay the price and move.

I agree with the "cutting your losses" angle, but I'd rather pay a price of $3.3MM per year than $7+MM per year. And in 11 years, the salary cap might be $150MM or more, who knows. It would be such a small percentage of the cap.
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
TheeChosenLonzo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
TheeChosenLonzo wrote:

I agree with the "cutting your losses" angle, but I'd rather pay a price of $3.3MM per year than $7+MM per year. And in 11 years, the salary cap might be $150MM or more, who knows. It would be such a small percentage of the cap.

how are you paying a price of 7m + when you trade him this offseason?

the cost is going to be 2 1st rounders. but he will be on somebody's else's cap number

7M+ is when you stretch him at current price.

i am saying trade him in a package similar to D Carroll (2 1st, carroll's contract fetched 1 1st and 1 2nd)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

TheeChosenLonzo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
TheeChosenLonzo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
TheeChosenLonzo wrote:

how are you paying a price of 7m + when you trade him this offseason?

the cost is going to be 2 1st rounders. but he will be on somebody's else's cap number

7M+ is when you stretch him at current price.

i am saying trade him in a package similar to D Carroll (2 1st, carroll's contract fetched 1 1st and 1 2nd)

Yes, the $7+MM I'm referring to is if we stretch him after this season, as it stands right now, and I'm saying that a $3.3MM hit is much more palatable. As far as trading him for two 1st's, I'd rather keep the picks if the hit is only $3.3MM a year. I didn't want to take the $7+MM hit but I'm willing to take a $3.3MM hit if the cost is two 1st's. I guess there was a line, at least for me, and Pincus has found it.

I would also suspect that prospective max free agents would prefer a future where they can team up and also have the team's future draft picks all at their disposal. That could make it easier to make other trades in the not-too-distant future.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

It would all depend on how much more salary we would have to guarantee
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
What chance do you give the Lakers at getting 2 max players.. ?

Not the right time or place to ask that, IG. Eric's a busy man, please stay on topic.

---

This is an amazing idea and it's just AN OPTION. MAYBE the Lakers can trade him for just picks, MAYBE the Lakers can trade his contract for two or three lesser terrible contracts. Heck, maybe Deng agrees to give up a ton of salary (not that he should, just saying).

Pelinka talks about have 100 moves and countermoves, this can all be part of his Rubik's cube.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

This is pure GENIUS.

To me, this makes the most sense. It works for all parties involved. And I would not offer more guaranteed money to deng. Here's why. Deng wants out just as bad as we want him gone. Here's a way to get out and still get paid his entire contract. It's not a settled buyout technically. The downside is obviously what he can make in interest/investments over the next three years with the lump sum. But getting the minimum from another team for the next three years on top of the laker 3.1 I'm sure beats any investment he could make with that lump sum over the next three years. Thus, it's a win win for all parties. I knew there had to be some sort of loophole. I'm really interested to see this go through.

Last edited by textbook on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Bombshell!!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
This is pure GENIUS.

To me, this makes the most sense. It works for all parties involved. And I would not offer more guaranteed money to deng. Here's why. Deng wants out just as bad as we want him gone. Here's a way to get out and still get paid his entire contract. It's not a settled buyout technically. The downside is obviously what can he make in interest/investments with the lump sum over the next three years. But the same can be said if he's playing from another team. Getting the minimum for another team I'm sure beats any investment he could make with that money over the next three years. Thus, it's a win win for all parties. I knew there had to be some sort of loophole. I'm really interested to see this go through.

Did you read the very bottom of his article, though? Like Larry Coon said, we probably have to offer him a modest guarantee so that it's not considered a clear circumvention of the rules. And over 11 years, that will have very little impact on the cap hit per year.

Especially in the wake of the Paul George tampering stuff, the Lakers can't afford to not add additional money and just assume that the league will look the other way. Add a small guarantee, everybody's happy, the league can't say it's illegal because he's getting more money, and that's that.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
textbook wrote:
This is pure GENIUS.

To me, this makes the most sense. It works for all parties involved. And I would not offer more guaranteed money to deng. Here's why. Deng wants out just as bad as we want him gone. Here's a way to get out and still get paid his entire contract. It's not a settled buyout technically. The downside is obviously what can he make in interest/investments with the lump sum over the next three years. But the same can be said if he's playing from another team. Getting the minimum for another team I'm sure beats any investment he could make with that money over the next three years. Thus, it's a win win for all parties. I knew there had to be some sort of loophole. I'm really interested to see this go through.

Did you read the very bottom of his article, though? Like Larry Coon said, we probably have to offer him a modest guarantee so that it's not considered a clear circumvention of the rules. And over 11 years, that will have very little impact on the cap hit per year.

Especially in the wake of the Paul George tampering stuff, the Lakers can't afford to not add additional money and just assume that the league will look the other way. Add a small guarantee, everybody's happy, the league can't say it's illegal because he's getting more money, and that's that.

Ahhhh, thanks, no I did not catch that since i was so blown away by the idea. I guess we could do that. But the whole circumvent the rules thing and tampering to me are completely different. Tampering is against the rules. This "contractual investment" is completely well within the rules. The NBA lawyers should have thought of this when drafting the contract. You can't get mad when someone finds a loophole. Further, you can't punish the lakers for following all the rules to their advantage (cough sixers for the last 5 years). All they can do is change the rule after the lakers take advantage of it. I don't see how we are circumventing the rules here? It would be an exception to the rules and very much legal.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

I've been working on this story for probably 2 weeks - not sure if I would call it "sitting on it" but doing research
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
I've been working on this story for probably 2 weeks - not sure if I would call it "sitting on it" but doing research

Good stuff. You will be getting a nobel peace prize if they do this and it works.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject:

OMG, Mr. Pincus you are a genius. Forward this to Maginka ASAP.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

It's a genuinely fantastic article. BR is lucky to have you writing for them.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
emplay wrote:

Good stuff. You will be getting a nobel peace prize if they do this and it works.

And he will help Deng pay his grandson college tuition in 2028.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Excellent work.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: