Give Deng an Extension (No Seriously, Read Within)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

on a smaller scale, the Celtics opted in a player to then immediately waive and stretch him for longer - different but the league didn't blink
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
on a smaller scale, the Celtics opted in a player to then immediately waive and stretch him for longer - different but the league didn't blink

Eric, I don't have to tell you how this league works. As you fairly stated somewhere - for transaction like this you go unofficial channels first, check the temperature.

Jimmy didn't understand how this game to be played thus has had very legit transaction killed with CPaul fiasco.

As you know - it is as much about the letter of the CBA as it is about politics...
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Awesome idea! However, if the Lakers simply buy him out for lets say 46 million. They stretch him and pay him 6.6 million per year for the next 7 years. Deng looses 8 million, but gets to keep 85% of his salary AND gets the opportunity to sign a contract THIS season. Lets say he plays 4 more seasons at the vet minimum, he recovers the 8 million right there. Players have been bought out for far less.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

That's not what happened with Chris Paul
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
That's not what happened with Chris Paul

Eric - with all due respect - CPaul deal was all about wrong timing. What everybody was fed as reasons is different, and that's what you're referring to...
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Chris Paul was about David Stern mishandling as owner of the Hornets - the decision was made because he disliked the deal presented to him by Demps. He wanted one more first - the Lakers said no. Another first and they have Chris Paul.

Believe what you've want. I can't write here who I spoke to about it but it's multiple people and as high up as you can get on the topic
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Chris Paul was about David Stern mishandling as owner of the Hornets - the decision was made because he disliked the deal presented to him by Demps. He wanted one more first - the Lakers said no. Another first and they have Chris Paul.

Believe what you've want. I can't write here who I spoke to about it but it's multiple people and as high up as you can get on the topic

Eric,

usually I don't have "sources" and don't have anything close to your exposure to basketball circles. On this one though - I have heard very similar story at the time it was unfolding from two sides that are not close to each other. Two different teams to be exact. the story you're referring to is an outcome of the original one where Stern (as an acting owner) has to come out of CPaul's trade significantly ahead if he is traded to LAL.

Water under the bridge, however...

As it pertains to the topic - this type of transaction has to get silent approval first...
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

honestly, talking to "teams" isn't going to do more than what I've done - not being cocky - I've spoken to all the principles (not Doc Buss, RIP) but everyone else about it. Everyone.

Demps believed he had authority - he represented to the Lakers and Rockets that he had authority - Stern saw the proposed deal and disliked it immensely on the face.

Anything else outside that people credit to Gilbert and the like was noise.

Stern, despite setting up a separation of church and state, said they need another pick. While waiting for the Lakers to decide - with the assumption that they would add another pick to close the deal - Mitch traded Lamar and scuttled it entirely.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

the dan gilbert optics = absolutely horrible for the league

so dumb

not significant however
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

^^^
It wasn't just Gilbert, FYI. Also, Stern has NOT nixed the deal immediately upon being presented with it. That is not true. But he did get an earful from several owners "that's not what we signed up for" (reference to the new CBA) as soon as the details of the deal got known. Stern, the politician, has not reacted immediately but rather "took the temperature" first.

And, sure, I agree wholeheartedly: Gilbert going public about it was absolutely stupid. there was no need to do so
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Yes he got an earful, that's accurate but not substantive - when he looked over what he saw (from his POV) what it would mean for the sale of the Hornets, that's when he said f*ck that
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

^^^
Eric, simply don't want to argue as it is long past. But you don't really think that Commissioner of the NBA doesn't find it substantive when most of the "hawks owners" from just concluded CBA negotiations call him out?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

no - Stern literally did not GAF

Stern was like that
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Stern was like that

I have read similar info from Larry from his league connections. I said at the time that Stern’s top goal was to sell the NO franchise, not make small market owners happy. That he wanted an extra pick makes perfect sense, the franchise would be more marketable with the addition of more future rookie contracts.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
honestly, talking to "teams" isn't going to do more than what I've done - not being cocky - I've spoken to all the principles (not Doc Buss, RIP) but everyone else about it. Everyone.

Demps believed he had authority - he represented to the Lakers and Rockets that he had authority - Stern saw the proposed deal and disliked it immensely on the face.

Anything else outside that people credit to Gilbert and the like was noise.

Stern, despite setting up a separation of church and state, said they need another pick. While waiting for the Lakers to decide - with the assumption that they would add another pick to close the deal - Mitch traded Lamar and scuttled it entirely.

So when stern said Mitch panicked their was some validity to it
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
emplay wrote:

Stern was like that

I have read similar info from Larry from his league connections. I said at the time that Stern’s top goal was to sell the NO franchise, not make small market owners happy. That he wanted an extra pick makes perfect sense, the franchise would be more marketable with the addition of more future rookie contracts.

please... after new CBA was ratified - it was only a question of when and how much for NO franchise sale.

I can name you at least 3 posters on this board who agreed back then unanimously that the sale is easy now. Future picks or not... that's "basketball reasons" for you

I am not sure if Prokhorov finalized partial sale of the Nets by now. How is his future picks situation looking? And he has had multiple suitors...
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

That's from Stern's POV... From Mitch's it was more a matter of principle
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Now I’m more pissed off at Mitch. How do you not add another first to get the deal done. Damn.
alohalakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject:

Mitch could easily have added a top 20 protected first, just like Dallas did to us when we traded Odom to them - who cares if we lost that pick? It would have sucked to be held up like that by Stern, but he had to get that deal done. Damn!
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject:

Wow! I love this loophole, let's see if Deng agrees.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
MojoRisin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

This is exactly how NFL teams get into cap problems.

The practice of deferring money always comes back and bites you in the ass.
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

So emplay, Deng is not even with the team right now?

Lol so much for vet leadership
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
Now I’m more pissed off at Mitch. How do you not add another first to get the deal done. Damn.

Yeah Mitch being stubborn cost us cp3 and he later had to give that pick and more to get Nash.

He was an overrated gm and with the cba leveling the playing field it became even more apparent.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Yeah Mitch being stubborn cost us cp3 and he later had to give that pick and more to get Nash.

He was an overrated gm and with the cba leveling the playing field it became even more apparent.

Like Mitch cares what we think about him, and what he does.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
[This "contractual investment" is completely well within the rules. The NBA lawyers should have thought of this when drafting the contract. You can't get mad when someone finds a loophole. Further, you can't punish the lakers for following all the rules to their advantage (cough sixers for the last 5 years). All they can do is change the rule after the lakers take advantage of it. I don't see how we are circumventing the rules here? It would be an exception to the rules and very much legal.

I wouldn't assume all that. The NBA constitution gives the commissioner broad powers to protect the image and integrity of the league, so just because a lawyer finds a loophole doesn't mean the commissioner has to allow the loophole. I think if the Lakers, in essence, added three more years with no additional salary the commissioner would disallow it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: