After watching The philly "process" players some may believe the Grass is Greener...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
Hard for me to imagine we lose this game if D'Angelo Russell is on our squad still

Lonzo
DLO
Ingram
Kuzma
Randle

would've beaten the sixers today, even if they were having career nights. Yeah I know, DLO isn't on the team, move on blah blah blah. W/e point is, we've drafted good players too

The loss today is on Luke. He embarrassed Randle by letting him get destroyed out there

Randle got schooled so hard. Embiid toyed with him after toying with DeAndre Jordan on Monday.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

Hurricane Embiid hit LA this week.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

Five years of intentionally tanking is finally paying off for Philly. It was a bad five year plan but a good ten year plan. It turned off many of their fans. However most will return to the fold.
I'm glad the NBA is trying to take steps to discourage/eliminate this type of strategy. They got lucky; Just like anything else it can be hit or miss if you don't draft the right players.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Five years of intentionally tanking is finally paying off for Philly. It was a bad five year plan but a good ten year plan. It turned off many of their fans. However most will return to the fold.
I'm glad the NBA is trying to take steps to discourage/eliminate this type of strategy. They got lucky; Just like anything else it can be hit or miss if you don't draft the right players.

Funny thing is they missed on a lot of players too in the draft. How many teams can write off a #3 pick (Oak), a #6 pick (Noel), a #11 pick (MCW and ROY), and a #1 pick (Fultz, to be determined)?
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:
Embiid is talented but fragile. There's a pretty good chance his career gets limited by future injuries.

Yup. Embiid and Simmons were amazing. I would be ecstatic if they were on my team going forward. But Embiid's body does not bode well for long term play. Big men deteriorate more quickly. Guys like Shaq are freak of nature.

Nothing about him looks hurt. I know the foot thing is a broken bone, so maybe healed up clean. The knee is more concerning obviously, but saw no hindrance. The season is long, but he looked intact.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

Embiid needs to lose the weight though. Philly writers have been saying he's closer to 300 than 250.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Funny thing is they missed on a lot of players too in the draft. How many teams can write off a #3 pick (Oak), a #6 pick (Noel), a #11 pick (MCW and ROY), and a #1 pick (Fultz, to be determined)?

That's because in the NBA all you need is a couple guys. Embiid and Simmons are playing like all stars right now. There's a fallacy of needing to hit on every pick. Look at the Lakers, Russell is gone, Randle is on the way out. that's two tank seasons essentially wasted (yes the Lakers were tanking, too).

Lot of teams are perpetually in lottery because they never draft the franchise player, look at T-Wolves most of last decade, Clippers in 80s/90s, etc.
lakersfan85
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Did you even read what I said?

I said Embiid and Simmons played like future all stars.
I said Covington was the X factor as he's shooting 10% above his career average after four years.

Our plan has been to sign two free agents all along.

If we sign any two of LBJ, PG13, or Boogie... this neutralizes Embiid and Simmons.

If you include Covington as part of the young Philly core, then you need to consider what our youngsters will be after four years.

The rest of our young core is better than Philly's if you take the best four or five of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Nance, Clarkson, Randle because we are deeper.

You disregarded nearly everything I said and fixated on Ball who had an atrocious game. You disregarded the fact that we could have beaten these two future stars with zero contribution at point guard. Ball will play better and get over his shooting issues, but even if he didn't... we still win that game with any average NBA shooter in his place.

Yes, if most teams sign two all NBA type players, they'll be good. This is the pipe dream Magic and Pelinka are selling. If it happens, and I don't think it will, I'll tip my cap. I won't care about Ball's struggles or all the Russell deal. if it fails, they're up sheet creek without a paddle.

Even if we only sign one which I think almost any NBA analyst would tell you isn't a pipe dream... and Lonzo's shooting resolves itself we are a playoff team. Then we add Klay the following season... still better than Philly.

76ers aren't just reaching at possible scenarios like ever other team in the league. They actually have two all stars (they will be all stars this year) under the age of 24. Honestly, they will probably make the all nba team this year. That plus cap flexibility put them in an insane spot.

Embiid and Simmons are head and shoulders above any prospect on the Lakers. They are generational. I don't know why it's hard to say that they have a more promising future?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
pio2u wrote:

That's because in the NBA all you need is a couple guys. Embiid and Simmons are playing like all stars right now. There's a fallacy of needing to hit on every pick. Look at the Lakers, Russell is gone, Randle is on the way out. that's two tank seasons essentially wasted (yes the Lakers were tanking, too).

Lot of teams are perpetually in lottery because they never draft the franchise player, look at T-Wolves most of last decade, Clippers in 80s/90s, etc.

Yeah. But the Process was about getting as many bites at the apple, and they hit even with non-drafted (Covington) and later lottery (Saric) let alone Embiid/Simmons.

I think they will have a different approach than the Lakers (76ers: organic rebuild) vs. Lakers: hire mercenaries/some kids.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:
Embiid is talented but fragile. There's a pretty good chance his career gets limited by future injuries.

Yup. Embiid and Simmons were amazing. I would be ecstatic if they were on my team going forward. But Embiid's body does not bode well for long term play. Big men deteriorate more quickly. Guys like Shaq are freak of nature.

Nothing about him looks hurt. I know the foot thing is a broken bone, so maybe healed up clean. The knee is more concerning obviously, but saw no hindrance. The season is long, but he looked intact.

Embiid took a Julius knee to the groin and still got up and dominated... he looked pretty sturdy. But unless Embiid averages 40 ppg... we would have normally beaten this team. The man scored 46... Simmons has a near triple double... and we almost beat them shooting under 40%

Why does everyone act like they are so much better? So frustrating to hear from Laker fans. My takeaway is that we almost won in spite of one of the greatest performances by a center in recent history.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

lakersfan85 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I said Covington was the X factor as he's shooting 10% above his career average after four years.

If we sign any two of LBJ, PG13, or Boogie... this neutralizes Embiid and Simmons.

If you include Covington as part of the young Philly core, then you need to consider what our youngsters will be after four years.

The rest of our young core is better than Philly's if you take the best four or five of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Nance, Clarkson, Randle because we are deeper.

You disregarded nearly everything I said and fixated on Ball who had an atrocious game. You disregarded the fact that we could have beaten these two future stars with zero contribution at point guard. Ball will play better and get over his shooting issues, but even if he didn't... we still win that game with any average NBA shooter in his place.

Yes, if most teams sign two all NBA type players, they'll be good. This is the pipe dream Magic and Pelinka are selling. If it happens, and I don't think it will, I'll tip my cap. I won't care about Ball's struggles or all the Russell deal. if it fails, they're up sheet creek without a paddle.

Even if we only sign one which I think almost any NBA analyst would tell you isn't a pipe dream... and Lonzo's shooting resolves itself we are a playoff team. Then we add Klay the following season... still better than Philly.

76ers aren't just reaching at possible scenarios like ever other team in the league. They actually have two all stars (they will be all stars this year) under the age of 24. Honestly, they will probably make the all nba team this year. That plus cap flexibility put them in an insane spot.

Embiid and Simmons are head and shoulders above any prospect on the Lakers. They are generational. I don't know why it's hard to say that they have a more promising future?

You’ll be a Laker homer to think that we have more promising future than the Sixers. Sixers already found 2 franchise changer level type of players and we are still hoping on ours. Their future looks brighter definitely.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

lakersfan85 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

At this moment, they have a more promising future as individual players... but we have an equal or greater future as a team. We played like crap, while they had great games and we still almost won. Without the all star free agents.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Why does everyone act like they are so much better? So frustrating to hear from Laker fans. My takeaway is that we almost won in spite of one of the greatest performances by a center in recent history.

Despite my love for the lakers, I say the 76ers have a bright future b/c they don't have depend on 2 max players joining them in 2018. They have 2 HOF-level players in Embiid/Simmons; Lakers, not sure we have 1.

Considering the 76ers can also play around and be in the FA game too (possibly taking 1 of our max guys) AND they already have 2 proven players, they are ahead of the game right now.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

lakersfan85 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

2 generational prospects who are « head and shoulders above any of our prospects » beat us by 6 on a night that we clearly underperformed. That’s why.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

Sentient Meat wrote:

I said Embiid and Simmons played like future all stars. *Future Hall of Famers

Our plan has been to sign two free agents all along. It's been our plan since Jimbo was at the helm.

If we sign any two of LBJ, PG13, or Boogie... this neutralizes Embiid and Simmons. So in this scenario Philly stands pat and does NOTHING with their cap space and much more enticing core? Cool, and that's a big IF if two of those players come here. What if Lebron goes to Philly to mentor Simmons and their young core? But yeah, if George and Cousins leave Westbrook and Anthony Davis to play with Lonzo "1 of 9" Ball then all will be right in Laker-Land. This also doesn't take into account that Simmons has legit Best Player in the League potential while Cousins and PG13 do not. That and he'll be on a cheaper contract, is younger, gives you a bigger window for contention and more cap flexibility.

The rest of our young core is better than Philly's if you take the best four or five of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Nance, Clarkson, Randle because we are deeper. The NBA landscape is changed by players like Simmons and Embiid not Jordan Calrskon. Magic could call up Philly right now and offer ALL those players for Embiid and Simmons and Philly would laugh and hang up the phone. You tank for franchise talents and Philly has TWO legitimate ones.

You disregarded nearly everything I said and fixated on Ball who had an atrocious game. You disregarded the fact that we could have beaten these two future stars with zero contribution at point guard. Ball will play better and get over his shooting issues, but even if he didn't... we still win that game with any average NBA shooter in his place. This has more to do than this game. I've always maintained that Philly rebuilt properly and has a brighter future than us. Lonzo embarrassing himself and Simmons/Embiid punking just further solidified that.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:

You’ll be a Laker homer to think that we have more promising future than the Sixers. Sixers already found 2 franchise changer level type of players and we are still hoping on ours. Their future looks brighter definitely.

A Laker homer on a Laker message board... what kind of madness is this?

We were level with the 2 franchise changer level type of players with our team shooting 38% and Embiid playing like Wilt. I don't think I'm being delusional to be optimistic about our team as well.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
They have a brighter future than us. I don't know what relevance this thread has.

Exactly. And it is all about poor choices by the Lakers front office. Kuzma was the ONLY good draft choice for the draft position and we only got him by unloading Dlo which was another terrible draft selection. There isn't even a fair comparison: Philly's young players are MUCH better. So far, Lonzo is the worst shooting NBA rookie in two generations and Ingram is having his middle name changed to inconsistent.

The Lakers only hope is getting two decent free agents and bullion from their. The sunshine pumpers that think the youth experiment will work are wrong. I could actually see Ingram being helped by being the third guy behind a couple of All-Star caliber players. The jury is out on Lonzo but right now is is closer to Jordan Farmer without a shot than he is showtime.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
CRoost wrote:

We were level with the 2 franchise changer level type of players with our team shooting 38% and Embiid playing like Wilt. I don't think I'm being delusional to be optimistic about our team as well.

You can't base it off one game (as you're arguing). If the Lakers won by 6, would we say that we have a better core? Of course not.

You look at the cap situation and future plans. Lakers are begging 2 max players (and we don't have the cap space for that now) while the 76ers may have 2 max level players already on the team and can carve out a max spot.
lakersfan85
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
lakersfan85 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

2 generational prospects who are « head and shoulders above any of our prospects » beat us by 6 on a night that we clearly underperformed. That’s why.

I see. That is a new way of judging team prospects. Let's see how it works out.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

Yeah they have some really nice player and look like a good team ; but it took them 10 years in the lottery. How many times did they swing and miss on a lottery pick before finally getting a hit?

I dont want to go through another 4 years of the lottery before we pick up the next Joel or Ben.

We have a nice set of player and if we can add some major pieces to them we skip some of the process to become a good team
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
They have a brighter future than us. I don't know what relevance this thread has.

Exactly. And it is all about poor choices by the Lakers front office. Kuzma was the ONLY good draft choice for the draft position and we only got him by unloading Dlo which was another terrible draft selection. There isn't even a fair comparison: Philly's young players are MUCH better. So far, Lonzo is the worst shooting NBA rookie in two generations and Ingram is having his middle name changed to inconsistent.

The Lakers only hope is getting two decent free agents and bullion from their. The sunshine pumpers that think the youth experiment will work are wrong. I could actually see Ingram being helped by being the third guy behind a couple of All-Star caliber players. The jury is out on Lonzo but right now is is closer to Jordan Farmer without a shot than he is showtime.

lol, i thought the kendall marshall comparisons were mean, this is down right nasty
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Yeah they have some really nice player and look like a good team ; but it took them 10 years in the lottery. How many times did they swing and miss on a lottery pick before finally getting a hit?

I dont want to go through another 4 years of the lottery before we pick up the next Joel or Ben.

We have a nice set of player and if we can add some major pieces to them we skip some of the process to become a good team

Sixers last playoff berth was 2012, Lakers 2013. Philly made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years between 2008-12. They were not in the lottery for a decade. The Lakers have been just a bit worse than their record over the last 4 seasons. Lakers were tanking because of the Nash deal. The difference is Embiid and Simmons were their picks, and ours wasn't.

They also have the number 1 pick from last year's draft waiting in wings, currently hurt. Laker fan base would be doing back flips if they had that core, instead all we can do now is hope free agents want to come here and Lonzo ball can make a shot.

Last edited by lakers4life78 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

Sixers have super talented youth but lets be honest. Their "rookie" Simmons is an athletic freak in a mans body who had a full year of NBA development and Embiid has has what, three years with the same training. Our players are coming along as planned and once our help arrives next year we will be in a great position.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I said Embiid and Simmons played like future all stars. *Future Hall of Famers

Our plan has been to sign two free agents all along. It's been our plan since Jimbo was at the helm.

If we sign any two of LBJ, PG13, or Boogie... this neutralizes Embiid and Simmons. So in this scenario Philly stands pat and does NOTHING with their cap space and much more enticing core? Cool, and that's a big IF if two of those players come here. What if Lebron goes to Philly to mentor Simmons and their young core? But yeah, if George and Cousins leave Westbrook and Anthony Davis to play with Lonzo "1 of 9" Ball then all will be right in Laker-Land. This also doesn't take into account that Simmons has legit Best Player in the League potential while Cousins and PG13 do not. That and he'll be on a cheaper contract, is younger, gives you a bigger window for contention and more cap flexibility.

The rest of our young core is better than Philly's if you take the best four or five of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Nance, Clarkson, Randle because we are deeper. The NBA landscape is changed by players like Simmons and Embiid not Jordan Calrskon. Magic could call up Philly right now and offer ALL those players for Embiid and Simmons and Philly would laugh and hang up the phone. You tank for franchise talents and Philly has TWO legitimate ones.

You disregarded nearly everything I said and fixated on Ball who had an atrocious game. You disregarded the fact that we could have beaten these two future stars with zero contribution at point guard. Ball will play better and get over his shooting issues, but even if he didn't... we still win that game with any average NBA shooter in his place. This has more to do than this game. I've always maintained that Philly rebuilt properly and has a brighter future than us. Lonzo embarrassing himself and Simmons/Embiid punking just further solidified that.

Wouldn't argue HOF... assuming Embiid's healthy

Jimbo was screwed by the NBA (CP3) and God (Nash)... we needed new blood, but he's not nearly as bad as people say. Kobe kept FAs away, this is the first chance without the obstacle of salary cap or Kobe's ego.

If Lebron or PG13 goes to Philly, of course they will be better... but since the narrative has been that they both want to come here, I don't think I'm being unrealistic thinking one or both will come.

I can agree with you that both Embiid and Simmons look to be front runners for the generational player title... but who would have said this last year when both were injured? If Ingram, Ball, or Kuzma went on a run of dominant games... they might find themselves in a similar conversation. My point was that we have greater depth, and it's telling that you pointed to one of the weaker of the six to make your point. Even with Clarkson's flaws he's proving to be a Lou Williams level 6th man.

I can't argue that Lonzo's performance was disappointing, if not outright embarrassing... but if he put up a modest triple double like Simmons did, I wouldn't change my opinion that much. I still think the kid can play.
Bottom line... Embiid had to play like prime Shaq or Wilt to beat us by six and we only shot 38%.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
CRoost wrote:

Homer was a wrong way to put it but I guess overly optimistic.

It’s one game and it’s too early to say but those 2 players has been balling out of control. It’s easy to build when you have that 2 biggest pieces of the puzzle. I’m encourage by our young players as well but let’s be real, Philly has more promising future.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10
Jump to: