Jules or JC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Assuming the 2 max plan comes to fruition and you could only keep one, which do you keep?
JC (combo guard off the bench)
26%
 26%  [ 33 ]
Jules (combo PF/C)
73%
 73%  [ 91 ]
Total Votes : 124

Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

I like both players but I'm hoping they're traded by the deadline
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
If we had 2 of LBj/Cousins/PG13, and had the ability to sign or trade for Draymond Green or Klay Thompson which would you guys pick?

Klay right? Same logic applies.

Not really. I see Klay as exponentially better than JC. You can build a successful offense around Klay, but not around Clarkson. A Klay is difficult to replace; there are a lot of JC level guys in the league.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
If we had 2 of LBj/Cousins/PG13, and had the ability to sign or trade for Draymond Green or Klay Thompson which would you guys pick?

Not really. I see Klay as exponentially better than JC. You can build a successful offense around Klay, but not around Clarkson. A Klay is difficult to replace; there are a lot of JC level guys in the league.

who are a few that we could sign this summer as FA's?
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yeah I am curious to know also. The question is who are the SG and PG players that we can sign with a minimum contracts or over the cap exception contracts. Keep in mind we need a backup to both positions. Hart and Ennis isn't cutting it at the moment.

With 2 Max and assuming JR is resigned, it will put us over the cap.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Remember how I wanted Tyreke Evans? There will be guys like him around. Just have to hit the right guy (and he was at the room exception).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Remember how I wanted Tyreke Evans? There will be guys like him around. Just have to hit the right guy (and he was at the room exception).

just looking for a few names....think it is statement that has been adopted and repeated without any real knowledge if it is true. Maybe I am missing these guys when I look at the options. Who are a few guys?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

That’s the point. Too soon to tell. Will there be ring chasers? Guys that may be looking to redeem themselves? I wanted Tyreke and he was at the room exception. I’m sure another one like him may be around next year.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
That’s the point. Too soon to tell. Will there be ring chasers? Guys that may be looking to redeem themselves? I wanted Tyreke and he was at the room exception. I’m sure another one like him may be around next year.

Are there at least 5-10 other Tyreke's? If not, is the plan to hope to get lucky?

I mean, you're basically looking to marginally upgrade Clarkson at half the price, basically?

Sometimes, bird in hand. Sometimes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Are there at least 5-10 other Tyreke's? If not, is the plan to hope to get lucky?

I mean, you're basically looking to marginally upgrade Clarkson at half the price, basically?

We are also discounting the possibility that the Lakers may other ancillary (non stars) players like nance or Zubac for role player pieces. And in 2019 we would have a full MLE.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

This is a tough question, On one end, I like a Clarkson, Hart, George, Kuzma and Nance second unit. We wouldn't have to burn the starters into the ground if PG can spend sometime on the second year. Randle gives us the ability to switch pick and rolls, and that's invaluable in today's NBA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We dumped our depth to get Shaq and after 3 seasons we were in the Finals. It isn’t as easy to maneuver with the CBA today, so add another year or two to that. That is what we would be looking at, OKC is a good comparison. If we are to follow this plan the sacrifices will be painful at least in the short term, we just have to hope they aren’t long term. There is no easy path to contend next season, we will create holes that will need to be filled.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We dumped our depth to get Shaq and after 3 seasons we were in the Finals. It isn’t as easy to maneuver with the CBA today, so add another year or two to that. That is what we would be looking at, OKC is a good comparison. If we are to follow this plan the sacrifices will be painful at least in the short term, we just have to hope they aren’t long term. There is no easy path to contend next season, we will create holes that will need to be filled.

I was 18ish when we got Shaq...was young and stupid....fans, especially younger fans were just not as smart about the business side or team building under the CBA in those earlier days of the internet, but I lived in Orlando, so I had recently saw Shaq take a team to the Finals...so I expected us to win immediately. It was frustrating....losing to Utah in the playoffs....some of my favorite players being moved.

not sure that means a lot....I expected us to win when Magic came back.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

In today’s league, minus the Jordans, Kobes, Sprewells, Richmonds, and the like, Paul George can handle being slotted as a SG on defense.

Offensively, both him and James can, obviously, handle guard responsibilities, and defensively George would do fine against even the best SGs (Thompson and Harden).

I just don’t understand the logic, in today’s “positionless” league, of people arguing that somehow replacing Jordan Clarkson and KCP with Paul George, Josh Hart, Caruso, and Matt Thomas is somehow a remarkable drop off of talent that’d leave this team in dire straits.

They’d be fine with George guarding twos — absolutely fine. He’ll be a load there.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I was 18ish when we got Shaq...was young and stupid....fans, especially younger fans were just not as smart about the business side or team building under the CBA in those earlier days of the internet, but I lived in Orlando, so I had recently saw Shaq take a team to the Finals...so I expected us to win immediately. It was frustrating....losing to Utah in the playoffs....some of my favorite players being moved.

That team was never built right though, with Campbell slotted to be Shaq’s PF partner.

It wasn’t until they got Horry and Fox that things began to take form.

I don’t see that being the case here at all, but to be fair, I also thought that Magic would’ve surrounded Ball with more shooters, and he didn’t, so maybe it will be a hosh-posh as you’re suggesting.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We are also discounting the possibility that the Lakers may other ancillary (non stars) players like nance or Zubac for role player pieces. And in 2019 we would have a full MLE.

That's fine, I'm not discounting that. I'm discounting the idea that there are a plethora of Tyreke Evans caliber players available for $3.3M in today's game.

I mean there are so many out there yet there is only one NBA team that has one.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That team was never built right though, with Campbell slotted to be Shaq’s PF partner.

It wasn’t until they got Horry and Fox that things began to take form.

I don’t see that being the case here at all, but to be fair, I also thought that Magic would’ve surrounded Ball with more shooters, and he didn’t, so maybe it will be a hosh-posh as you’re suggesting.

And these points are valid, it takes time and sacrifice to build a winner. Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Zubac, Kuzma and even Ingram are all fair game to be sacrificed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
This is a tough question, On one end, I like a Clarkson, Hart, George, Kuzma and Nance second unit. We wouldn't have to burn the starters into the ground if PG can spend sometime on the second year. Randle gives us the ability to switch pick and rolls, and that's invaluable in today's NBA.

If we’re trying to take down the warriors by say 2019 (when we will have a full MLE and draft pick to use), I feel that Jules will be more important than jc. Tough call but you absolutely need a big who can switch on defense like Jules.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jules or JC?

yinoma2001 wrote:
Assuming the two max plan happens (2 of lbj/pg/boogie), and the cap math works where you can keep one, who would you prefer?

It'd be STUPID to sign either one, Cousins is a fat slob & head case, while LBJ has worn tires & don't reward him for past not with our team!!!

LOSE lose situation & Magic would fall into Mitch mode.

Don't sign guys who want to take your money & cruise, I just don't see LBJ coming to LA with team still not able to do things it takes to win. Cousins doesn't fit today's NBA game!

Don't be surprised if we don't get any big FA, stop trading away our top drafted picks, if they knew Dlo has cronic knee issue (Brandon Roy issue) they did right thing (looks like his knees are an on going issue, perhaps they drafted wrong guys cause Ben Simmons wanting to play for Lakers is dust in the wind. Hopefully, Ingram gets more consistent!!!

PS: Lonzo is at least 2 more years away from being relevant, it's like playing 4 on 5 every game!
HC: Riley
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Oh wow.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Oh wow.

As you said, there are some people who are... passionate, to say the least !
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

Where do people stand today? Poll was at 3 to 1 in favor of Jules.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

I think they've treated Julius so poorly that they'd have to overpay to keep his services. On that basis I'd keep Clarkson, and also because he seems to be growing in discipline and even learning to pass more as the team culture is rubbing off on him. Randle has been playing really well, but I don't know if he'd accept any less than a max contract and if our 2 max plan fell through and he felt he was the back up plan, I think he'd just laugh and go somewhere else to spite us. This is why I believe we have two players locked up, because you don't treat Randle this way unless you are really stupid or you have your ducks in a row. Of course, the front office couldn't really predict his growth this year either, as last year's Randle clearly wasn't worth a max.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

There are lots of backcourt players who can score like JC. The fact that he never learned how to be a good defender in this league limits his usefulness.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
I think they've treated Julius so poorly that they'd have to overpay to keep his services. On that basis I'd keep Clarkson, and also because he seems to be growing in discipline and even learning to pass more as the team culture is rubbing off on him. Randle has been playing really well, but I don't know if he'd accept any less than a max contract and if our 2 max plan fell through and he felt he was the back up plan, I think he'd just laugh and go somewhere else to spite us. This is why I believe we have two players locked up, because you don't treat Randle this way unless you are really stupid or you have your ducks in a row. Of course, the front office couldn't really predict his growth this year either, as last year's Randle clearly wasn't worth a max.

Well, no ducks are in a row so..............
crazylakerfan001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Louis Williams, nick young, Joe Johnson, Ian Clark, Patrick McCaw, yogi Ferrell. Just to name a few
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: