Is playing fast a winning strategy for a young team like this?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Is playing fast a winning strategy for a young team like this?

Playing fast works well for the Warriors, but their players are a lot more talented than ours and have much more experience as well. Every time I watch a Lakers game, I see too many stupid passes which end up going out of bounds or stolen resulting in turnovers. Against the Nuggets they had at least 20 and here against the Rockets they have 18 and game isn't over yet. I get that the coaching staff wants to take advantage of their athleticism but is it a good long term strategy? I'd rather see them slow it down and swing the ball around and hit the open man or run pick and rolls in the half court.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Don't mistake activity for achievement. John Wooden.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is playing fast a winning strategy for a young team like this?

george w kush wrote:
Playing fast works well for the Warriors, but their players are a lot more talented than ours and have much more experience as well. Every time I watch a Lakers game, I see too many stupid passes which end up going out of bounds or stolen resulting in turnovers. Against the Nuggets they had at least 20 and here against the Rockets they have 18 and game isn't over yet. I get that the coaching staff wants to take advantage of their athleticism but is it a good long term strategy? I'd rather see them slow it down and swing the ball around and hit the open man or run pick and rolls in the half court.

Maybe the young Lakers can play like whatever the young 76ers are playing.

Whatever works idc at this point.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is playing fast a winning strategy for a young team like this?

george w kush wrote:

They can play both ways and are better when they do. Too much gunning going on tonight and not enough passing.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is playing fast a winning strategy for a young team like this?

george w kush wrote:

i think you especially have to play fast w/ this team. they're not equipped to grind you out in the half court offense. we're not skilled enough or execute well enough to thrive in the halfcourt.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is playing fast a winning strategy for a young team like this?

george w kush wrote:

However you play the team will lose and fans will be upset. If we played a slow paced offense, people would be upset we weren't using Ball's strength.

The real issue is we have a team with pieces that don't fit because we have young players who are learning and rent a vets who are holding down cap space for this year so we can go after free agents next year.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is playing fast a winning strategy for a young team like this?

Nash Vegas wrote:
george w kush wrote:

The Sixers actually have superstar prospects and the true heir to Magic Johnson. We don't have the talent to play like them.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is playing fast a winning strategy for a young team like this?

BynumForThree wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
george w kush wrote:

The Sixers actually have superstar prospects and the true heir to Magic Johnson. We don't have the talent to play like them.

I think Simmons and Embiid have moved beyond superstar prospects. They both will probably be all stars and I could see Embidd finishing in the top 5 for MVP.

I'd say the 76ers are years ahead of us. We don't have a single guy you can point to and be completely sure they will ever be an above-average NBA starter

Last edited by activeverb on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is playing fast a winning strategy for a young team like this?

george w kush wrote:

I agree 100%...!
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Slowing down the tempo only works if you have strong post players who can impose their will at both ends. We don't exactly have that.

It is best for us to play fast because it maximizes the talent of our key guys. However, we are shooting too many 3s. We should look to get layups and attack the basket in transition.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject:

I agree with others that for this team, their best option is to play fast.
bum2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Slowing down the tempo only works if you have strong post players who can impose their will at both ends. We don't exactly have that.

Or monster outside shooting...or ball handlers who can get to the rim at will. Also things we don't have but we do have long, quick athletes. So we run to make it easier for those players.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

bum2 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Or monster outside shooting...or ball handlers who can get to the rim at will. Also things we don't have but we do have long, quick athletes. So we run to make it easier for those players.

This is also a result of trying to take advantage of Lonzo's strengths, which seem to be in running transition rather than a half-court offense. In the half-court, we knew he wasn't going to be great at getting to the rim, so until he figures his shot out I think a half-court offense is going to be more a challenge because defenses can sag off him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: